Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

joseph's dub voice is kinda weird

Yeah, technically he is meant to be british but Sugita's take is just so good anything else soundsa wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
in and around the lake~

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think a bunch of people were expecting if they did do a British accent he would sound rougher and more working class, even though that makes no sense and Joseph is in a lot of ways a very accurate upper class English kid. He's the kind of guy who spent his younger years at Eton shoving Andrew Cavendish's head into the toilet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was confused why he was meant to be british in the first place, didn't he spent his whole life in America?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Actually, he and his grandmother only moved there recently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's because he's a playful character who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. He reads more working class as opposed to the rich as gently caress Jonathan, even though Joseph is rich as gently caress too.

I'd imagine him as soft cockney rather than Emmerdale, of course. It doesn't bother me either way though because the dub is an abomination.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No? Part 2 starts with him moving to New York at Speedwagon's behest. He grew up in England.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

His opening scene has the Coke Cola guy asking him if he just got off the boat.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Prison Warden posted:

I think a bunch of people were expecting if they did do a British accent he would sound rougher and more working class, even though that makes no sense and Joseph is in a lot of ways a very accurate upper class English kid. He's the kind of guy who spent his younger years at Eton shoving Andrew Cavendish's head into the toilet.

Yeah, people forget that even upper-class people were Tough Rough Dudes around the turn of the century and prior to that. Jonathan and DIO being terrifying street boxers isn't all that weird; the nobility has always been expected to be skilled in weapons and fighting by way of tradition, going back to the time when they were all expected to function as military officers.

This would have also been a time period when you were practically encouraged to shove Andrew Cavendish's head into the toilet, because that's just Healthy Competition Between Boys.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay nevermind, my mistake

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sugita comes across as super playful and fun too, just how he reads in the manga and Ishizuka making him a big loud bumbling idiot with the same charm underneath in SDC was perfect too.

Maybe it's just because I'm from a lovely area up north in England where we all think posh sounding southerners are soft as poo poo. Cultural programming is hard to break (particularly when personal real life experiences have historically backed it up.)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sugita comes across as super playful and fun too, just how he reads in the manga and Ishizuka making him a big loud bumbling idiot with the same charm underneath in SDC was perfect too.

Maybe it's just because I'm from a lovely area up north in England where we all think posh sounding southerners are soft as poo poo. Cultural programming is hard to break (particularly when personal real life experiences have historically backed it up.)

Ehhh, the posh ones generally are, the only rough kids at my schools were the poor ones from the estates and the most of the middle class ones were comically wimpy. I think it is more plausible for a turn of the 20th century character though, with public school rugby and all that

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

alcharagia posted:

have i mentioned that i really like the new direction the show's soundtrack has gone in for battle tendency, because i do

That soundtrack is great, I will listen to it while running sometimes and I don't care who knows it.

I actually like Joseph's dub voice, later characters bother me way more. THEY DESEXIFIED KARS' VOICE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I live for Bryce Papenbrook's lovely Italian accent.

I want it and I love it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Ehhh, the posh ones generally are, the only rough kids at my schools were the poor ones from the estates and the most of the middle class ones were comically wimpy. I think it is more plausible for a turn of the 20th century character though, with public school rugby and all that

Yeah, for sure. I wouldn't ever say it's "wrong" or "bad" casting, just that to me, it creates a huge dissonance with the character and I can't reconcile it. I just can't stand the dub at all and it's not like I have to watch it so if push comes to shove, if people like it, good.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I think I stopped 2/3 of the way through the dub and haven't finished watching cuz I have other stuff to watch. Maybe I'll finish up over my break this week.

I don't really have anything against dubs (since I often just like to have stuff *on* while I work that I can half pay attention to without looking up often) but yeah, if it's good that's nice and all but I'm not likely to be very invested in it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm mostly just used to the subs too much to really care about the dubs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
part 2 has like, easily the best music tbqh

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Numbah 1 is the perfect voice for Joseph Joestar, just like fake british Vash the Stampede was perfect for Jonathon.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://youtu.be/FCIpvV198mw?t=1m6s

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yugo Kanno is doing Part 4's music, reprising from Part 3.

I seem to recall hearing that Part 2's composer got annoyed at David about something with the OST after the series. Maybe about not having a vocal-less OST release? If true, I wouldn't expect him back at any point.

I also Kanno doesn't rely on the central leit motif too much in Part 4 like he did with "Stardust Crusaders" in SDC.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I know I'm sure as gently caress annoyed that I don't have a full vocalless version of I'm in Control

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Iwasaki was more annoyed with how the series used his music. They kinda used a handful of tracks a whole lot and didn't really vary much, I think.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yugo Kanno is doing Part 4's music, reprising from Part 3.

I seem to recall hearing that Part 2's composer got annoyed at David about something with the OST after the series. Maybe about not having a vocal-less OST release? If true, I wouldn't expect him back at any point.

I also Kanno doesn't rely on the central leit motif too much in Part 4 like he did with "Stardust Crusaders" in SDC.

He definitely did rely on that a lot but I still really love the Part 3 soundtrack.

I was going to name favorites but it becomes a long list! Virtuous Pope, Setting Off, Nightmare World, Fool of Sand, and Final Battle are probably my favorites in that bunch? Return of Travelers is nice too but it makes me sad because good people are dead and shut up about kakyoin before you even start, dude. :devil:

When I actually got the Part 2 soundtrack I remember wondering why it seemed like there were bits I'd never heard in the show (which they probably *did* use, just sparingly) and I didn't have that sense with any of the Part 3 soundtrack.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really like Decisive Battle but that might just be because it's used in the sickest counterattack in the entire series

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Return of Travelers is nice too but it makes me sad because good people are dead and shut up about kakyoin before you even start, dude. :devil:

By all that is holey, I will not laugh at Kakyoin's death today.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

IronicDongz posted:

I know I'm sure as gently caress annoyed that I don't have a full vocalless version of I'm in Control
I know I'm a weirdo, but I actually like the dumb vocals in I'm In Control.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

By all that is holey, I will not laugh at Kakyoin's death today.

I'm not going to lose my temper with you because you know what? That's not what Kakyoin would do. Kakyoin would definitely not lose his temper in an irrational way with one of his friends and, I dunno, punch things. He's just got way too much style for that. I'm above this sh*t.

Moltrey posted:

I know I'm a weirdo, but I actually like the dumb vocals in I'm In Control.

Where'd sans go?!!?! But yeah the ridiculous vocals are fine to me, too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I don't know what you're trying to imply here but that was a friendly gesture. He was accepting an apology, which is something that friends do.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh hello thread tag, how long have you been here?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Quite awhile.

We held a thread tag contest several weeks ago.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
jojo got a sweeticool bike

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
SHIIIIZUUUUMAAA NOOOO

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
cactus juice: it's the quenchiest