Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

tbf it's easy to miss if you're o-tabbing and not reading the log at all; if i didnt' have force-more on distort i'd probably not notice it most of the time :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Someone Awful! posted:

tbf it's easy to miss if you're o-tabbing and not reading the log at all; if i didnt' have force-more on distort i'd probably not notice it most of the time :smith:

I always get 2 warning teleports first

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I only pay attention to it on the first 3 floors or so and after that it just exists for force-more messages from distortion wielding enemies. It is nice to get into a habit of paying attention to what uniques are wielding though. Rupert could be holding a broad axe, or perhaps an executioner's axe of draining. One of those is way more likely to end you than the other!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Remember when you had to bring every moderately decent weapon along with you so some orc wouldn't throw it in your face later ??

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Humans Among Us posted:

Remember when you had to bring every moderately decent weapon along with you so some orc wouldn't throw it in your face later ??

i still do this out of habit

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That's how you figure out what kind of weapon you want to use as a caster->hybrid. Bring every metal headed stick thing with you until you identify remove curse and then wield id them all til you find a good one, that's your weapon type. (no distortion whammies)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bring back dwarven equipment for the sick 20% chance to not be permanently corroded!

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
My favorite thing from older crawl versions was making a killhole in any humanoid area and get a bunch of free turns as enemies walked into a giant pile of corpses and loot and picked up anything shiny and useful (I don't think anyone misses the excessive caution that you had to exercise by picking up dangerous weapons though).

Games like DoomRL had "gift dropping" where you could lure enemies with med-packs and armor towards a convenient chokepoint, but maps were way smaller and there was less items to account for, so it didn't feel tedious at all, it was just another tactic; Crawl's scale is gigantic in comparison.

edit:

PleasingFungus posted:

It's been suggested (I know one of the our beloved tiles devs was talking about it a while back), but it'd be quite a lot of work, and very tricky to make it noticeable. Difficult UI problem!

I know tile space is at a premium, but I think a basic color scheme is already present for brands which is a start (like when you use a scroll of brand weapon). A good intermediate step could be to add a tiny weapon icon of the correct color indicating weapon brand somewhere inside the monster tile. If the player is not sure what the brand is, they can always examine them directly to confirm the brand.

apple fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 16, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
For those with opinions on recent trunk changes (amulets, etc), the leading dev behind them has posted a set of response threads on the dev mailing list. He's mainly looking for feedback from fellow devs, but he's also interested in hearing from players. If you want to express your opinions in a place the devs are likely to see, emailing a response to one of those threads (at crawl-ref-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net) is a pretty good idea, I think.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So, by d4 I managed to wear-id an amulet of inaccuracy, a randart chainmail with -5 int, and a -6 ring of intelligence, all cursed. After trying to read the 3 scrolls I had (the last of which took 37 attempts to read, and wasn't remove curse anyways), I tried to press on and survive anyways.

This lead to me quaff-iding mutation, and getting -2 int and blurry vision to top things off. Thankfully I died after that.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//MrDespairSA/morgue-MrDespairSA-20151215-022932.txt

apple
May 18, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

For those with opinions on recent trunk changes (amulets, etc), the leading dev behind them has posted a set of response threads on the dev mailing list. He's mainly looking for feedback from fellow devs, but he's also interested in hearing from players. If you want to express your opinions in a place the devs are likely to see, emailing a response to one of those threads (at crawl-ref-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net) is a pretty good idea, I think.

A lot of these have already been covered to death in GDD (yeah I know it's not where Crawl is developed), but if you think someone reiterating the player response would help, I might give it a shot.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
For new players, I'm no pro at all but I've found a couple of things to stick in my ini file that help.

The ini file or actually init.txt you'll find in your Crawl directory. When the game starts it tells you the file it's using and it's location, if you want to be sure that's the one. There are instructions in there and another file describing each option in detail which you can then paste into your init.txt.

Anyways.. to give back to the thread a bit..

hp_warning = 50
autofight_stop = 50

This makes sure I don't tab myself to death, as soon as I get to 50% health tab doesn't work anymore. I also get the warning, too many times I tab tab tab oh poo poo I'm on 7 hp and I'm hosed now.

explore_auto_rest = true

This handy line automates waiting before autoexploring, as in you've had a fight and you're hurt and you press 'o' and your guy will wait and heal to full and then take off.. rather than you having to manually do this everytime.

show_more = false

I get sick of pressing space for every 'more..' prompt, putting this in will just let stuff scroll right off the screen (which you can always look at the log if you missed). Speeds up combat a ton and makes the game a lot quicker and less annoying for me.

I've got more tricks like an autobutcher function if anyone wants that too.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/MrVile/MrVile.txt

Seven goddamned orbs of fire.

This character actually became bizarrely good considering it's a silly gimmick troll necro. I'm not sure where to take it now, though. I grabbed the Abyssal rune after a quick jaunt, but Slime will be tricky because I have found zero sources of resist corrosion. I'm totally new to extended and just got my first three-rune win a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know what to do from here.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Mr. Vile posted:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/MrVile/MrVile.txt

Seven goddamned orbs of fire.

This character actually became bizarrely good considering it's a silly gimmick troll necro. I'm not sure where to take it now, though. I grabbed the Abyssal rune after a quick jaunt, but Slime will be tricky because I have found zero sources of resist corrosion. I'm totally new to extended and just got my first three-rune win a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know what to do from here.
Just drink one of your potions of resistance for TRJ. I think acid blobs are the only dangerous spawns that can corrode so you can just handle them one on one.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

apple posted:

A lot of these have already been covered to death in GDD (yeah I know it's not where Crawl is developed), but if you think someone reiterating the player response would help, I might give it a shot.

Many people in this thread don't read or post in gdd (e.g. me), so I figured that they might appreciate the chance to post their thoughts!

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

Just drink one of your potions of resistance for TRJ. I think acid blobs are the only dangerous spawns that can corrode so you can just handle them one on one.

:toot: It cost me all my good muts and gave me a ton of bad ones, but Slime cleared!

:unsmigghh:

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 17, 2015

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Mr. Vile posted:

:toot: It cost me all my good muts and gave me a ton of bad ones, but Slime cleared!

:unsmigghh:

Lichtroll is a new one for me. I might prefer statue form in Hell honestly though, draining claws does nothing for you while I can confirm stone claws and chei will rip Dispater into shreds in three hits. Maybe lichform for Tartaurs though. An extra 50% HP and better defenses is always nice.

Plus if you lost clarity, you really don't wanna get confused by hell effects. It will be a very bad time.

... Who the hell is good for extended now anymore? You'll be mutated into oblivion unless you're undead, in which case you'll be confused to death. Ghouls / Halflings?

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 17, 2015

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Dee Ehm posted:

Lichtroll is a new one for me. I might prefer statue form in Hell honestly though, draining claws does nothing for you while I can confirm stone claws and chei will rip Dispater into shreds in three hits. Maybe lichform for Tartaurs though. An extra 50% HP and better defenses is always nice.

Plus if you lost clarity, you really don't wanna get confused by hell effects. It will be a very bad time.

... Who the hell is good for extended now anymore? You'll be mutated into oblivion unless you're undead, in which case you'll be confused to death. Ghouls / Halflings?

Innate clarity mutation on this character. And I'm pretty sure Lichform has better defences than statue form for me.

Because that way I get to keep my GDA on.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
A troll casting Necromutation while in Gold Dragon Armour?

Justcheithings.

Edit:I'm trying a chei ogre right now.

There really aren't many problems that can't be solved by ROCK. I don't even have my throwing that high yet...

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 17, 2015

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Spotted on someone I was watching for a bit:

code:
_r - the +7 eveningstar of the rear end {crush, MR+ SInv}
_Drop what? 47/52 slots (_ for help) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
_You drop the +7 eveningstar of the rear end {crush, MR+ SInv}.
 All of the chunks of flesh in your inventory have rotted away.
_You sense a monster nearby.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stoat posted:

Spotted on someone I was watching for a bit:

code:
_r - the +7 eveningstar of the rear end {crush, MR+ SInv}
_Drop what? 47/52 slots (_ for help) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
_You drop the +7 eveningstar of the rear end {crush, MR+ SInv}.
 All of the chunks of flesh in your inventory have rotted away.
_You sense a monster nearby.

FR: New property "+Fart", acts as a reusable scroll of noise.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Floodkiller posted:

FR: New property "+Fart", acts as a reusable scroll of noise.

What, no mephitic / poison / miasma clouds?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dee Ehm posted:

Only if you recently ate chunks, meat rations, or beef jerky.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Dee Ehm posted:

Those are reserved for the fart mutations. Percent chance to nervously out-gas whenever an enemy comes into view.

*A two-headed ogre comes into view.
*A loud prbbbt emits from your butt. You feel embarassed.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

Those are reserved for the fart mutations. Percent chance to nervously out-gas whenever an enemy comes into view.

*A two-headed ogre comes into view.
*A loud prbbbt emits from your butt. You feel embarassed.

I would unironically like this as the replacement to shoutitis, to fit the general movement towards things that are situationally good or bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
elementals are all weird snakes now. i think i dig it but I'm not sure?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What does weapon affinity do exactly? High elves have -3 on polearms, but I really want to use one on my wizard for the reach attack in case I have a conjured flame up and not enough mana to cast magic dart. Is the -3 something I can overcome with enough patience or am I always going to be 3 less effective with polearms?

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

What does weapon affinity do exactly? High elves have -3 on polearms, but I really want to use one on my wizard for the reach attack in case I have a conjured flame up and not enough mana to cast magic dart. Is the -3 something I can overcome with enough patience or am I always going to be 3 less effective with polearms?

It's a malus on how quickly you level the skill. It doesn't have any effect on combat, though having low skill does implicitly have an effect on combat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

elementals are all weird snakes now. i think i dig it but I'm not sure?

I think if the tiles were improved they would be good. The concept is fine but the execution is a bit lackluster. The air elemental looks like a wet noodle.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Aptitude only affects how much experience it takes to raise that specific skill. 0 is average, -1 is generally considered not bad, higher numbers means you're able to train faster than normal. +4 / -4 means it takes half (or twice!) as much experience to get that skill up than it would for a race with a 0 aptitude.

A -3 aptitude is bad enough that you probably wouldn't want to train your polearms skill as opposed to your +2 to long bladea, but you can use it early game with no skill to poke enemies no problem. A 0 skill spear or trident won't manage to cut it far in the game though.

My recommendation? Get a bow and arrows for longer term. That's a +3 aptitude instead!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

A difference of 4 aptitude points means the worse aptitude requires twice the skill points to reach the same skill level.

As an example, a -3 aptitude requires 2x as many skill points as a 1 aptitude skill.

Like stated above, that's literally the only thing aptitudes do.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Memo: Temporal Distortion is Instant, but Step From Time is NOT!

I just learned the hard way that if you're in a tight spot and Step From Time, and two Stone Giants pop up adjacent to you, they will kill you before you can act again.

apple
May 18, 2003

Dee Ehm posted:

Memo: Temporal Distortion is Instant, but Step From Time is NOT!

I just learned the hard way that if you're in a tight spot and Step From Time, and two Stone Giants pop up adjacent to you, they will kill you before you can act again.

I can't even remember the last time I used step from time. Between careful positioning and spamming temporal distortion/slouch I never seem to use it.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Go down stairs into Lair

Troll Monk of Trog Ghost and Deep Elf of Vehumet ghost side by side, going 'what-you-lookin-at?'

Guess I'm not doing Lair today!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I thought you only got one ghost per level or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, if you happen to die on a level that still has a ghost remaining your ghost will now spawn with it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really dislike the player ghosts. I don't like being punished for losing an old game and having to skirt around a massive chunk of level on a completely new character. Other than that the game is pretty cool. I'm also liking wizard a bit more than necromancer, it has a better variety of good early game spells, plus I can actually take on undead enemies.

Haven't found any cool unique areas yet other than a temple with a bunch of altars and a cool tomb with a bunch of traps and undead guarding a small treasure horde. Are there any specific unique areas I should be seeking out?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ghosts give a ton of exp when you kill them though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Are there any good strats to cheese them early on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Cast a Walk Away spell and come back for them when you've cleared a floor or two below.

• Locked thread