Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't think it's quite fart joke tier. I can say that because people actually laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's a great moment of interpersonal interaction that utilizes all four characters involved in the most entertaining, effective way.

So of course we have to dissect and deconstruct and dismantle it to see why it's actually, secretly not good instead.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

It's a great moment of interpersonal interaction that utilizes all four characters involved in the most entertaining, effective way.

So of course we have to dissect and deconstruct and dismantle it to see why it's actually, secretly not good instead.

There's no "we" it's only me, stating my problem with the scene as is. I found it completely unnecessary and added nothing to the movie other than another moment where everyone's supposed to smile and, well, nod along while covering up the movie's mediocre dialogue exchange, bland cinematography, and awkward implications of the scene. That being Sharon has just risked tossing away her position/career so she could give her bf and his bros their toys back from mean ol' Stark.

Also, I was more than happy to drop this topic after my post yesterday where I said the gag ruined the moment, and only began discussing it today because I was given an edited quote by another poster.

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's bonding for Falcon and Bucky, if nothing else. Along with "Can you move the seat?" "....no.", it gives you a picture of their relationship in the short moments they have to work with.

It's called a palette cleanser, and it's the reason people generally like CW better than BvS. And it's manifestly not mediocre, because so many people loved it. It may not be great, it may be the easy option, but it's exactly what it was intended to be and it did exactly what it needed to, and people responded to it. By definition that makes it a good scene.

Thanks for actually engaging with the content of my post.

I can see how the Falcon Bucky thing plays as a relationship builder, but the movie has already given them a rock solid bond in their love of Captain America. I don't mean that in a sarcastic "they be gay" way (although the subtext is certainly there!), but in that they both genuinely love and trust Cap so much they'd be willing to die for him, just as Cap would do for them. The bond building would be an interesting aspect if the movie had chose to engage with that more than a few cursory jokes, but it doesn't so it makes the whole thing, to me, feel superfluous to the film and distracting to the moment the movie chose to emphasize: Sharon Carter putting her career at risk because she believes what Cap is doing is the right thing and that she has a thing for him. You refer to it as a palate cleanser, but I'm not sure what flavor they want to wash away, seriousness? loving? sincerity? The scene also immediately cuts to them pulling up to the white van and the joke of Antman being star struck by Cap, wouldn't that be a good enough palate cleanser?

Travis343 posted:

B-but... Quips!

My problem is with MCU's over reliance on using quips not that quips exist, because they are some genuinely really good ones in the MCU and CW specifically. When Tony remarks about the base when Zemo reveals himself is a pretty good line.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 26, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I don't think it's quite fart joke tier. I can say that because people actually laughed.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/5xsjqu/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-louis-c-k-

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
Jubilee was cut completely from the theatrical film? I'm way less interested now :(

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

J2DK posted:

Jubilee was cut completely from the theatrical film? I'm way less interested now :(

Somebody didn't get the memo:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/meet-x-men-apocalypse-breakout-star-lana-condor-222621061.html

Get to Know 18-Year-Old 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Star Lana Condor

quote:

It did not take Lana Condor long to break into the movie biz. The 18-year-old Vietnam-born actress won the prize role of the young pyrotechnic mutant Jubilee in the new superhero sequel X-Men: Apocalypse on her third audition… ever. (After two television auditions, it was her very first time trying out for a film.)

Impressive!

quote:

[Full disclosure: Condor is the daughter of Bob Condor, executive editor of Yahoo Sports.]

:(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It doesn't seem like Singer has gotten the hang of balancing an ensemble cast even after, like, sixteen years.

Some folks I anecdotally trust have mentioned good things about the film though, so I'm keeping positive.

Oh god please don't suck rear end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She wasn't part of the ensemble. She was a glorified extra.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you can't/won't/don't laugh at a good fart joke (not just a fart being the whole joke but a good fart joke) you are probably a robot.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Travis343 posted:

If you can't/won't/don't laugh at a good fart joke (not just a fart being the whole joke but a good fart joke) you are probably a robot.

Or Scott. He's a dick!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MacheteZombie posted:

There's no "we" it's only me, stating my problem with the scene as is. I found it completely unnecessary and added nothing to the movie other than another moment where everyone's supposed to smile and, well, nod along while covering up the movie's mediocre dialogue exchange, bland cinematography, and awkward implications of the scene. That being Sharon has just risked tossing away her position/career so she could give her bf and his bros their toys back from mean ol' Stark.

What are the awkward implications of "Sharon takes a risk to help Captain America"? That's something she does. At least that's what she's done in 2/2 appearances. I'm not sure how a 3 second gag with no dialogue is indicative of the dialogue or the cinematography, but you're free to get what you want from the movie.

Travis343 posted:

On rare occasion a fart joke is funny assuming the entire joke is not just "somebody farted".

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

What are the awkward implications of "Sharon takes a risk to help Captain America"? That's something she does. At least that's what she's done in 2/2 appearances. I'm not sure how a 3 second gag with no dialogue is indicative of the dialogue or the cinematography, but you're free to get what you want from the movie.

These movies are full of throwaway gags. They're inoffensive at the singular level, but what exactly is the point? Cap and Sharon making out isn't a "heavy" scene by any means, there's nothing to defuse, but Bucky Barnes, brainwashed super-soldier living in self-imposed exile (born 1926) does a bro nod?

Well fine, it makes people laugh, so it isn't objectively bad. But it is hiding something. Cap and Sharon make out, it's the start of a relationship, it's a sign of Cap moving on. It should be an important scene for Cap. Is the scene being undercut by the gag, or is the gag a distraction from an underdeveloped plotline?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SonicRulez posted:

On rare occasion a fart joke is funny assuming the entire joke is not just "somebody farted".

To be fair, had they replaced Winter Soldier's line with "Did you just fart?" and left the rest as it played out the same, it would probably have the same humor impact.

As for the scene itself, It does serve a point. It shows off how Bucky and Sam are not friends and wouldn't even give the other a small kindness, but both are 100% behind Cap. It didn't even seem that subtle.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Anora posted:

To be fair, had they replaced Winter Soldier's line with "Did you just fart?" and left the rest as it played out the same, it would probably have the same humor impact.

As for the scene itself, It does serve a point. It shows off how Bucky and Sam are not friends and wouldn't even give the other a small kindness, but both are 100% behind Cap. It didn't even seem that subtle.

That's really reaching. It's quite clear that the only person really concerned about Bucky is Cap, while everybody else says outright that they're fighting on his side because they like Steve Rogers.

Moreover, the relationship between Sam and Bucky is really unimportant.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

That's not reaching at all. Sam didn't like Bucky. Bucky didn't like Sam, going as far to not move his seat. Cap does something they like and they display their mutual appreciation with a fist bump

Then later when they fight Spider-man they banter together but dont display complete animosity. It was a character building movement to show that they can work together through their mutual friendship with Cap

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That's really reaching. It's quite clear that the only person really concerned about Bucky is Cap, while everybody else says outright that they're fighting on his side because they like Steve Rogers.

Moreover, the relationship between Sam and Bucky is really unimportant.

That's basically what I was saying.

That scene isn't about Bucky and Sam, it's there to show that Sam isn't concerned about Bucky and vise versa, but both will follow Cap. That "throw away" scene is there to reinforce that Cap is the driving force behind their motivations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Is it okay to admit that First Class was the only good x-men film and the rest of them have been alright B-movies to just a bit poo poo? Like- X1 and X2 really, really don't hold up well.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm right there with you, Sion.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Replace First Class with Days of Future Past, and I'll agree with that.

I still have a fondness for X2, though that's probably more nostalgia than anything

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X1 is nostalgia, X2 actually rules

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Travis343 posted:

Does it though? Like- 'here is a heavy handed metaphor about being a gay teenager, and also a few fights in moody, underlit corridors.' Don't get me wrong, seeing the shimmery phoenix under the water at the end was like seeing a helicarrier in the avengers for the first time in a way but much, much less impactful. Actually no, it was more like seeing RDJ at the end of the hulk movie with Ed Norton.

I mean, I guess at the time we were probably all welp this is as good as it's ever gonna get but...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do we think of the (first two) Sam Raimi Spider-Man films? Aside from J. K. Simmons as JJJ being the most perfect casting in any superhero movie, do they genuinely hold up or do they mostly trading on nostalgia?

I remember seeing them both in the cinema when they came out and thinking they were great, but having watched them more recently, I have more of a mixed opinion about them. For one thing, there was a lot more weird slo-mo and zoom-ins than I remembered. :v:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sion posted:

Does it though? Like- 'here is a heavy handed metaphor about being a gay teenager, and also a few fights in moody, underlit corridors.' Don't get me wrong, seeing the shimmery phoenix under the water at the end was like seeing a helicarrier in the avengers for the first time in a way but much, much less impactful. Actually no, it was more like seeing RDJ at the end of the hulk movie with Ed Norton.

I mean, I guess at the time we were probably all welp this is as good as it's ever gonna get but...

You've got the white house sequence, Wolverine vs. Stryker's troops and the mansion invasion scene, Magneto escaping the prison, the entire Alkali Lake thing with the Lady Deathstrike fight as the centerpiece. The weakest action scenes are probably the cgi tornadoes and Scott vs. Jean and even those are fine. It's an awesome movie.

And this is comic books, man, we like our metaphors heavy and obvious. We like escape artists named Scott Free and bad guys named Darkseid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What do we think of the (first two) Sam Raimi Spider-Man films? Aside from J. K. Simmons as JJJ being the most perfect casting in any superhero movie, do they genuinely hold up or do they mostly trading on nostalgia?

I remember seeing them both in the cinema when they came out and thinking they were great, but having watched them more recently, I have more of a mixed opinion about them. For one thing, there was a lot more weird slo-mo and zoom-ins than I remembered. :v:

First one doesn't hold up nearly as well.

Raimi Spider-man 2 is still one of my favorite Super-Hero movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Alfred Molina as Doc Ock a lot.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Travis343 posted:

I thought X-men 1 was incredibly boring even when it came out. It's just a snoozefest.

X2 is good tho. Also Spider-man 2 is good and it was the best Superhero movie ever when it came out.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Sion posted:

Like- 'here is a heavy handed metaphor about being a gay teenager

I don't think this is fair. It's on the nose for sure, but appropriately so given the times. Being gay was still Not Okay for much of the country and making the mutant=gay metaphor was a valuable one to tell a mass audience.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Spider Man 2 is a great movie, and Alfred Molina is an absolute treasure.

X2 is a pretty good watch, and the best X-movie after First Class, but didn't age as well as SM2 did.

I'm STILL not over them re-casting JJJ after the Raimi movies. He was one of the most beautiful babies that was ever thrown out with the bathwater.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They haven't technically recast him yet, since they didn't use him in ASM and there's no word on Homecoming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They haven't technically recast him yet, since they didn't use him in ASM and there's no word on Homecoming.

JK Simmons is currently Commissioner Gordon for the new Batman so it's unlikely he'd get double cast regardless of being Literally Perfect for the role.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can still happen, drat it.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I think the best praise to Raimi's Spider-man movies I can give is that I can still watch and enjoy them today despite the fact that I really don't like the majority of the actors in them. JK Simmons and Alfred Molina being the obvious exceptions.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Good point. Keep the dream alive!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Totbot posted:

I think the best praise to Raimi's Spider-man movies I can give is that I can still watch and enjoy them today despite the fact that I really don't like the majority of the actors in them. JK Simmons and Alfred Molina being the obvious exceptions.

How about Willem Dafoe?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So, Apocalypse had an 8.2 million Thursday night, comparing favorably to DOFP's 8.1 million Thursday. Analysts are saying it's gonna cruise to a #1 opening weekend somewhere in the neighborhood of eighty million, and that Alice 2 isn't gonna significantly threaten its box office. With the addition of Memorial Day it might crest a hundred million. Looks like the near-three weeks of mixed critical reviews haven't significantly affected its box office potential, at least for its first weekend, and neither does alice premiering on the same day. Interesting to see how this all shakes out before the weekend's through, though.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 27, 2016

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

How about Willem Dafoe?

I don't particularly like him, but I don't mind him. He's one of those actors a lot of people like but I never really have. He can bounce between crazy and sane fairly well, so he could have been a lot worse for Osborn. I might also be looking on him more unfavorably since I'm not a big fan of the Green Goblin suit they used.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apocalypse does have more positive reviews than negative ones, after all.

Edit: Or it did until today, but it's still really close.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

Apocalypse does have more positive reviews than negative ones, after all.

Edit: Or it did until today, but it's still really close.

I mean, yeah, but that's counting the field. Take only Top Critics - aka the Rolling Stone, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Roger Ebert reviews, the reviews people are most likely to read - and that number drops to 37%. And even then there's a reason that RT sets their "Rotten" rating at 60% - having barely more positive reviews than negative ones is not really a plus at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, yeah, but that's counting the field. Take only Top Critics - aka the Rolling Stone, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Roger Ebert reviews, the reviews people are most likely to read - and that number drops to 37%. And even then there's a reason that RT sets their "Rotten" rating at 60% - having barely more positive reviews than negative ones is not really a plus at all.

Of course. You're not going to put it in your ads or anything, but knowing more people liked a movie than didn't is going to help word of mouth and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The kiss/reaction shot in Civil War was funny, but I didn't like it because it felt like the movie insecurely yelling no homo.

Spider-Man 2 still super holds up. Haven't watched X2 in a while, my memory of it is it has a good screenplay and some standout sequences (Nightcrawler in the white house, Wolverine in the mansion, Magneto escape) but in terms of "cinematic team superhero action" it's been pretty handily surpassed at this point.

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread