Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Don't they have split employment too? Like they work for BA on the magazine and Conde for the YouTube channel? Like that was the whole problem that started everything, Sohla was working for BA as an assistant editor on the magazine and Conde started using her in videos without payment. I know Conde owns BA buts its still a legal separate and distinct company.

I’m sure this is a thing. Bifurcation of your cost across different entities you own. Sometimes to avoid bonus structures. It’s lovely to do but it’s legal in the eyes of your contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Don't they have split employment too? Like they work for BA on the magazine and Conde for the YouTube channel? Like that was the whole problem that started everything, Sohla was working for BA as an assistant editor on the magazine and Conde started using her in videos without payment. I know Conde owns BA buts its still a legal separate and distinct company.

I wonder if she might try to parlay her increased fame into making another try at a restaurant.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

I wonder if she might try to parlay her increased fame into making another try at a restaurant.

I hope it's takeout/delivery only because anything else these days seems like an even more terrible idea than restaurants usually are.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

charliebravo77 posted:

I hope it's takeout/delivery only because anything else these days seems like an even more terrible idea than restaurants usually are.

oh yeah, I almost forgot about the pandemic hellscape we're still living in

woo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

I think we're overestimating the "fame" of the BA Test Kitchen by orders of magnitude here.

Sure a video may get a million views but across how many states/countries/continents?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'd say they're at least as popular as half the folks on Food Network. They've done mainstream appearances like Claire on the Tonight Show, Brad doing Hot Ones and (ugh) Joe Rogan, and Priya in Ugly Delicious.

E: though it's possible Ugly Delicious was before Priya joined BA. I'm not sure.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Brad did joe Rogan???

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, bearing that in mind, I will say I told you so about Brad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Veskit posted:

Brad did joe Rogan???

I could have sworn he did, and even made reference to it in a video (possibly the sour-doughnuts episodes with Claire) but for the life of me I can't find it now.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I have found zero evidence of a jre/brad collaboration of any form

Of course he referenced it he’s like the most important podcast right now...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Veskit posted:

I have found zero evidence of a jre/brad collaboration of any form

Of course he referenced it he’s like the most important podcast right now...

I may well be 100% wrong on this one and misinterpreted something he said in passing so apologies, everyone.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

xtal posted:

Ok, bearing that in mind, I will say I told you so about Brad

:rolleyes:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The turn tables

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

JRE is literally the biggest show on the planet right now let’s calm down in saying anyone who would go on it is a bad person I mean chapelle even tours with him.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nah I'm willing to say anyone on Rogan is bad, but we can just disagree if you like

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

xtal posted:

Nah I'm willing to say anyone on Rogan is bad, but we can just disagree if you like

Captain hot takes over here trying to keep the fire lit.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Joe Rogan being bad is like a decade year old take lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

xtal posted:

Joe Rogan being bad is like a decade year old take lol

Go on

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Brad has also made some pro-Trump Instagram posts. He's going to lose so much of the goodwill he ever earned.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
After seeing people just post stuff off the top of their head and be hilariously wrong ITT, I'm going to need receipts before I believe anything posted in here

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

After seeing people just post stuff off the top of their head and be hilariously wrong ITT, I'm going to need receipts before I believe anything posted in here

As someone who just did that, I agree.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

Brad has also made some pro-Trump Instagram posts. He's going to lose so much of the goodwill he ever earned.

When and what did they say

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Brad may have just found out about racism still existing but he's usually been pretty progressive with regards to his LGBTQ coworkers, green initiatives, and sustainability, at least judging off his Instagram. If there was trump supporting stuff on there I'd be pretty surprised.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

quote:

For context, this was posted April 22nd when Trump ordered the Blue Angels to flyover NY/NJ.

Brad was cheering and tagged Donald Trump in a series of videos. They were up for an hour before being taken down.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yeah, that doesn't exactly count

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Why are people ITT so desperate to cancel Brad?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hate bonerism, I guess.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

prayer group posted:

I don't interpret it as trying to cancel him, and I certainly didn't notice posts of desperation. Which posts specifically are you referring to? I see people seeking better understanding of his current level of white privileged ignorance. Brad showing solidarity with his fellow workers by joining the strike was a good start, hopefully we see something about his journey to educate himself to be better as well. Speaking only for myself I don't cancel because they're ignorant. I cancel if they repeatedly refuse to address the ignorance over a long period of time. Brad isn't a 60 year old racist, yet.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Speaking personally I'm not desperate to cancel anyone, especially the hosts who have been a consistent and substantial portion of my entertainment for the past year or two and even more so in lockdown. I just want to know that if I go back and watch old BA episodes that I'm not watching someone who contributed to an environment where the POC hosts feel crummy. Like, I'm sure as hell not going back and watching anything with Rapo in it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nobody posted the Conde Nast salary Google doc?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...fFxudZAxQ#gid=0

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is this source confirmed?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

has anyone been watching Proof Bread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8PUlZrngZQ

I'm hooked. it's this arizona-based bakery that makes a lot of artisan bread, and has a bunch of long relaxing videos from the guy who runs it (with his wife who hosts some videos too) just talking about bread and going through the process.

from what I've pieced together it's this crazy story of a guy who ran a small company doing mystery shopping, shopping from this local bakery every week, learns the guy running it is going to move and it's going to shut down, he buys it despite having no experience running a bakery or being a baker, and he and his wife take it over, learn the whole trade, and have been running this very active bakery ever since.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

prayer group posted:

The internet can turn on someone in an instant. Sometimes digging up actually important things, most the time digging up anything and going ,"Hmmmm! Well look at this!"

Brad started it all so I can see people trying to end it with him. Nail in the coffin kinda thing

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I try explaining why it's ok Brad didn't understand racism but it's not ok Delaney didn't and I dunno how to really get that across. Sometimes it's just a feeling you know

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I could have sworn he did, and even made reference to it in a video (possibly the sour-doughnuts episodes with Claire) but for the life of me I can't find it now.

Thanks for getting my hopes up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

xtal posted:

Cornel West went on Rogan and it wasn't even a bad interview

I don't listen to Rogan at all really but I did listen to that episode and it was worth my time

A lot of people have gone on Rogan without being bad for it. Rogan sucks but that doesn't extend to the full range of all of his guests ever forever

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah

piratepilates posted:

has anyone been watching Proof Bread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8PUlZrngZQ

I'm hooked. it's this arizona-based bakery that makes a lot of artisan bread, and has a bunch of long relaxing videos from the guy who runs it (with his wife who hosts some videos too) just talking about bread and going through the process.

from what I've pieced together it's this crazy story of a guy who ran a small company doing mystery shopping, shopping from this local bakery every week, learns the guy running it is going to move and it's going to shut down, he buys it despite having no experience running a bakery or being a baker, and he and his wife take it over, learn the whole trade, and have been running this very active bakery ever since.

Yes, I have been watching every one of these videos. The information provided has elevated my bread baking as he translates the why and the what he is doing during the entire baking process.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

new newsletter from BA, fresh off the presses:

quote:

An Update on What We've Been Up To
This newsletter has historically been Bon Appétit’s Letter from the Editor. Starting now and until we have a new editor in chief, the BA and Epicurious staff will use this platform to update you on the work we’re doing to address racism and biases at the brands, both internally and in our editorial coverage. First up, acting deputy editor Amanda Shapiro on what happened in week one.
Readers, viewers, subscribers, followers, and friends:

How to describe all the feelings of the last week? I’ll never locate the right words, but here are some: outrage at the failures of our leaders; regret for our own complicity in racist systems; pain from airing months and years of pent-up harm; despair over the sheer amount of work ahead; awe at the opportunity we’ve given ourselves to change.

Many on staff, including myself, felt that the statement we put out last week wasn’t as forceful or specific as it needed to be. But I also believe that a statement is only as powerful as the work we actually do. So, since then, we’ve focused on the work.

That work happened in so many virtual meetings, in side conversations, and in private moments that I couldn’t pretend to know about or capture. So I won’t speak for all of us, but here’s my perspective on some of the work that happened this past week, and what we’re prioritizing in the weeks and months ahead.

We did a lot of apologizing, and we have more to do. Both publicly and in private, I and other white staffers have apologized to our Black staffers and staffers of color for the culture we perpetuated in our offices. We’ve made personal apologies to freelance writers, contributors, and former staffers too. We recognize that we’ve lost a lot of trust among our peers, and these conversations are just one step toward regaining it.

We demanded that our corporate leadership do better, and they’ve responded. We’ve had a lot of meetings with our company’s leaders, expressing our frustrations and asking for the resources we need to do better, including hiring more senior-level BIPOC staff, pay equity, transparency, investigations into wrongdoing, and training to help us build a fairer and more just workplace. The company is moving forward on some of these needs, like fast-tracking our search for a new editor in chief and prioritizing BIPOC in that search, but we know we have much more work to do.

We created a manifesto for change and began to act on it. The staff has put together a document outlining specific steps we’ll take to change the culture at BA and Epicurious. We’re still refining the manifesto, but, in the meantime, we’ve seen some tangible change, like the resignation of our VP of video and a new process for handling internal investigations. We’ve also created working groups to tackle issues like reenvisioning our editorial content, addressing cultural biases in Test Kitchen videos and pay disparities among staff, expanding our pool of BIPOC freelancers, and—before we begin publishing their work—reaching out to writers, photographers, illustrators, and sources for their explicit consent. Those conversations are already happening and will continue forever because this work is never done, and that’s the point.

There’s one line from our statement last week that I keep repeating to myself: We have been complicit with a culture we don’t agree with and are committed to change. To me, this line sums up the past week. It’s been a period of acknowledgment and commitment.

I look forward to turning this newsletter over to the new editor in chief soon. But, in the meantime, there are so many people at BA and Epicurious doing meaningful work right now, and it’s important that their voices be heard. Next week and in the weeks following, you’ll hear from them in this letter. I join them in saying we are committed to doing better, and that work has already begun.
Sincerely,
Amanda Shapiro
Acting Deputy Editor

(bolding is from them, not me)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

xtal posted:

lol yeah gently caress cornell west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I also wouldn't hold it against Brad if he did appear on Rogan. I don't think Brad has much control over his guest spots, or if he does he doesn't exercise it much. He did Good Mythical Kitchen and some Comedy Central show in the last few months and made no attempt to hide how much he didn't want to be there either time.