Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Should they really? Maybe certain clips here and there, but what benefit does an unencrypted finished master copy of a movie give you internally? Don't the people who cut the actual theatrical trailers not even get access to the full movie?

Unless access to it is limited to like 3 or 4 people that seems like it's making things way too easy for a high-grade leak to happen.

I suppose it probably depends on the caliber of the project, too. Like it happening with the My Little Pony seems more likely than it happening with, say, the new Star Wars movie, I suspect they won't gently caress around with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

the original texas chainsaw massacre was shot on 16mm

and they released a uhd bluray of it

pagancow does this make sense

film always looks better when scanned at higher res. even 16mm

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Should they really? Maybe certain clips here and there, but what benefit does an unencrypted finished master copy of a movie give you internally? Don't the people who cut the actual theatrical trailers not even get access to the full movie?

Unless access to it is limited to like 3 or 4 people that seems like it's making things way too easy for a high-grade leak to happen.

I suppose it probably depends on the caliber of the project, too. Like it happening with the My Little Pony seems more likely than it happening with, say, the new Star Wars movie, I suspect they won't gently caress around with that.

what benefit is given by having as much of it encrypted at all times as possible?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

what benefit is given by having as much of it encrypted at all times as possible?

leaks are less likely if an intern can't punt a 3 gig mp4 to 4chan for e-cred

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

leaks are less likely if an intern can't punt a 3 gig mp4 to 4chan for e-cred

Are they? Very few movies get leaked this way

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Are they? Very few movies get leaked this way

that's the point i'm making, leaks are almost universally from some other interference-prone source because that's their best option, like either some janky camera/telesync setup, a Russian DVD, or a screener copy, in all cases the eventual "proper" DVD runs circles around it quality-wise (and won't have Russian visuals/screener copy text). getting something that's "commercial release"-tier video/audio quality more than a month before an official DVD or Blu-ray release is pretty rare, with the few times it's happened usually being things like the movie "accidentally" getting a premature release on iTunes in the Ukraine or some such

and the studios are pretty gung-ho about dealing with even those other leak sources with things like cinavia encoding in theatrical screenings and the like in the hopes to throw off home viewing equipment

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

that's the point i'm making, leaks are almost universally from some other interference-prone source because that's their best option, like either some janky camera/telesync setup, a Russian DVD, or a screener copy, in all cases the eventual "proper" DVD runs circles around it quality-wise (and won't have Russian visuals/screener copy text). getting something that's "commercial release"-tier video/audio quality more than a month before an official DVD or Blu-ray release is pretty rare, with the few times it's happened usually being things like the movie "accidentally" getting a premature release on iTunes in the Ukraine or some such

and the studios are pretty gung-ho about dealing with even those other leak sources with things like cinavia encoding in theatrical screenings and the like in the hopes to throw off home viewing equipment

so you see why its not actually necessary to keep your original working files and original master versions encrypted, right?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fishmech posted:

so you see why its not actually necessary to keep your original working files and original master versions encrypted, right?

Why would you want to keep valuable/proprietary data-at-rest not encrypted?

:confused:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schadenboner posted:

Why would you want to keep valuable/proprietary data-at-rest not encrypted?

:confused:

why would you insist on keeping it independently encrypted when it doesn't need to be?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
im gettin meched here

it's killing me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you are using the word "encryption" like its a magical incantation, would you reasonably expect a hacker which got onto the machines where the, possibly encrypted movie, is worked on to not largely immediately get all they need to also decrypt it?

the intern example is even more notorious, how are you going to have the intern work on anything even tangentially relating to the movie without it being a situation where they could potentially get at it?

from having worked in banking it is sort of recurring that people like to, without thinking them through at all, imagine all kinds of safeguards which are entirely impractical when you need people to actually work with the stuff. i do not imagine, at all, that movie production has any better means of keeping the data from their employees.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
stop getting fishmeched you morons

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the intern example is even more notorious, how are you going to have the intern work on anything even tangentially relating to the movie without it being a situation where they could potentially get at it?

i'd imagine an intern who was, say, in charge of building things for a spaceship battle in the upcoming star wars movie wouldn't have access to scenes outside of that, but i'll acknowledge that I'm likely hopelessly optimistic about this and pagancow probably has master files of a shitton of movies because he just walked the gently caress out of the office with it on an external drive and so did the 18 year old who brought coffee and donuts to the office

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

univbee posted:

probably. all i know about it is it's a .mov file with a CBR of like 175 megabits/second

part of me is surprised these types of leak don't happen more often but maybe studios are actually pretty good about not having unencrypted copies of their just-got-a-theatrical-release movies sitting around on a system hackers manage to get into

DNxHD 175 is a master quality file...hmmm

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol no the only security is that the files are on the lot of warner or whatever production house is doing the cutting, and then watermarked clips are rendered out to post houses who need to do VFX and sound.

all this talk of encryption and auditing lol you're acting like they spend an extra penny on anything that doesn't get the movie made.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

DNxHD 175 is a master quality file...hmmm

yeah, master wasn't the right word. what would they use for an actual master of something that peaked at 1080p like the star wars prequels, just uncompressed (or lossless)?

so i take it this effectively means that anyone at the production house who touches a computer could just output an un-watermarked un-protected copy of a finished film? what are the odds of the person doing this getting caught eventually as far as evidence the production house would have direct access to (e.g. access logs)? would they even be able to conclusively say it was from the production house?

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 28, 2017

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

It's enough as a final deliverable for a Blu-Ray Master. Most likely thats where it was leaked.

Theres a bunch of physical security at movie studios you won't just easily walk out with a master.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

yeah, master wasn't the right word. what would they use for an actual master of something that peaked at 1080p like the star wars prequels, just uncompressed (or lossless)?

so i take it this effectively means that anyone at the production house who touches a computer could just output an un-watermarked un-protected copy of a finished film? what are the odds of the person doing this getting caught eventually as far as evidence the production house would have direct access to (e.g. access logs)? would they even be able to conclusively say it was from the production house?

you could "just" spend several hours rendering out and copying to disk a massive movie file when you were supposed to be doing something else yes. that's, not very practical to actually do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

you could "just" spend several hours rendering out and copying to disk a massive movie file when you were supposed to be doing something else yes. that's, not very practical to actually do.

"yes I'm working on the thing you asked me to do it's just rendering" -points to progress bar-

appearing busy while doing something you're not supposed to be doing is at least one area I have experience and expertise in

or just do it overnight if you have your "own" workstation

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

"yes I'm working on the thing you asked me to do it's just rendering" -points to progress bar-

appearing busy while doing something you're not supposed to be doing is at least one area I have experience and expertise in

or just do it overnight if you have your "own" workstation

"i didn't tell you to render this entire movie out like our software is clearly saying you're doing"

if it was really as easy to do as you seem to think it is, don't you think there'd be a lot more stuff going out to the pirate groups?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

"i didn't tell you to render this entire movie out like our software is clearly saying you're doing"

if it was really as easy to do as you seem to think it is, don't you think there'd be a lot more stuff going out to the pirate groups?

that's why i don't think it's that easy, we're just disagreeing on the specifics of the vigilance that prevents it from happening (a bar which just says "rendering" with a vague inaccurate ETA doesn't necessarily suggest a full movie output, would probably require a lot more scrutiny than i'd give an overworked supervisor credit for)

Do higher-end NLE's have group policy-like security options where you can, if nothing else, restrict individuals' ability to do a clean high resolution render, or some such settings?

The Blu-ray mastering house seems like a likely source, since release-ready copies of movies are prepped well in advance these days (e.g. the iTunes leak of Mad Max: Fury Road so soon after theatrical release was only possible because Apple was sitting on finished renders of the movie)

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 28, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this idea of an employee walking off with it is i think mostly controlled by risk/reward, beyond internet points your'd struggle to earn anything from walking out with the content, and while security likely isn't that well thought through, there is probably enough unknowns to make losing your job and getting prosecuted a very real possibility

to take the bank example it was clearly possible to make it out with stuff like customer holdings and even tunneling out real-time information on trading and so on, but e.g. the default workstation setup set off alarms when a usb key was inserted, and while it was trivial to work around you get to asking yourself what other alarms may actually exist (besides, people did get caught by the usb key check), and mostly the information, while on paper valuable, is the sort which you need to be very high up the foodchain to make actual money off of (and thus all the less likely to want to risk your place in the foodchain)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

they just don't give the whole finished movie unwatermarked to vfx houses, jesus

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

that's why i don't think it's that easy, we're just disagreeing on the specifics of the vigilance that prevents it from happening (a bar which just says "rendering" with a vague inaccurate ETA doesn't necessarily suggest a full movie output, would probably require a lot more scrutiny than i'd give an overworked supervisor credit for)

Do higher-end NLE's have group policy-like security options where you can, if nothing else, restrict individuals' ability to do a clean high resolution render, or some such settings?

The Blu-ray mastering house seems like a likely source, since release-ready copies of movies are prepped well in advance these days (e.g. the iTunes leak of Mad Max: Fury Road so soon after theatrical release was only possible because Apple was sitting on finished renders of the movie)

are you alleging people would be coming up with fake rendering time etas in their work software just to cover up stealing things now? lol

the theft scenario at work here essentially involves people who would already be authorized to have acccess if the things were encrypted beyond the normal encryption setups, so additional encryption cant help. anymore than putting an additional lock on the film canisters would help when you're already permitted to go to the vault and open said film canisters.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Malcolm XML posted:

stop getting fishmeched you morons

i love a good fishmech-ing

glad i came back in time, it is an xmas miracle

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
more bits = better than

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mo' bits mo' nits

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

syntaxrigger posted:

i love a good fishmech-ing

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

spankmeister posted:

mo' bits mo' nits

get your butts ready for an eye searing 10,000 nits being delivered into your eyes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

univbee posted:

internally surely you would have unencrypted copies sitting inside of encrypted volumes?

then you can use the os permissions model to determine where data is copied, but tools vendors don't have to manage some kind of encryption standard

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

suit the gently caress up for 8K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wDx7PURfI

love all the gun cocking sounds added in post

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

for $80,000 USD sensor only the thing should have a speaker that plays the gun cock sounds when you attach accessories.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

for $80,000 USD sensor only the thing should have a speaker that plays the gun cock sounds when you attach accessories.

only if it plays heavy weapons guy firing and screaming sounds when shooting.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

same except without the gun

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

reds logo is so web 2.0

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lololol vesa is trying to solve the HDR TV problem

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12144/vesa-announces-displayhdr-spec-and-tiers

quote:

Today, VESA is announcing the first version of their DisplayHDR specification, a new open standard for defining LCD high dynamic range (HDR) performance. Best thought of as a lightweight certification standard, DisplayHDR is meant to set performance standards for HDR displays and how manufacturers can test their products against them. The ultimate goal being to help the VESA's constituent monitor and system vendors to clearly display and promote the HDR capabilities of their displays and laptops according to one of three different tiers.

And what are the three trials tiers?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

TVs only have to meet 90% P3, so they can use garbo adobe RGB panels lolllllll

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

fuckkk they are going to allow for 8-bit dithering panels to do 10-bpc

FAACK YOUOUUU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

this is an affront to every codec warrior out there, every colorist, every person with a red or arri, nobody is going to see your pure pixels because the standard is set so god damned low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

who is going to care about the hour long samsung washer ad IF YOU CANT EVEN SEE IT IN REAL 10 BITS?

• Locked thread