Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's the back to back season thing, he's still essentially a first time superfan nerding out. I think if he took a few years to process things and chill out he could be dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's the back to back season thing, he's still essentially a first time superfan nerding out. I think if he took a few years to process things and chill out he could be dangerous.

I hope so, and I think I agree. It's just amazing to see him making mostly the same mistake in back-to-back seasons, especially if he is a superfan and should've seen how personal relationships (like his with Andrea) bleed so heavily into all-star seasons.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Everyone who has played back to back plays exactly the same game both timea, because they haven't seen themselves from the outside point of view and haven't had enough time to think about it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Piell posted:

Everyone who has played back to back plays exactly the same game both timea, because they haven't seen themselves from the outside point of view and haven't had enough time to think about it.

Counterpoint, Aubry?

I don't think Zeke gets a pass here, because he understood it was what got him out last game, verbalised that, then decided to do it anyway.

That said, it COULD inadvertantly help him, if he survives a couple more votes. Making a huge mistake, but surviving it, is a helpful factor in ultimately winning. Adam messed up pretty badly a couple of times, and that's ultimately how he could win, because he became a smaller target when he needed to.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Arcanen posted:

Counterpoint, Aubry?

She had a year off, and I'm not sure she's playing too differently anyway.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Arcanen posted:

Counterpoint, Aubry?

Aubry didn't play in back to backs seasons, she got to see her season on TV before she went back.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

I think that's partially why Jeff basically skipped the vote.

I'm sure Jeff knows who has the idols. If anything, it would've been done that way to keep someone else from trying to do something slick.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Michaela is, at the very least, trying to learn from her last game. It's not working very well, but good thing she has Cirie to mentor her now.

I'm still not sure what to make of Debbie as a player. She's clearly more adept at the game than at first glance, and her brash 'we're doing this, end of story' way of strongarming a vote has its merits. But I feel like she'd just fail terribly at any FTC unless she was sitting next to, like, Michaela and Troyzan.

Also there's what, a 7-4 female-male lead now? If I was Troyzan I'd be pretty nervous.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Oops, weird brain moment there thinking Aubry and Zeke were on the same season.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the truth posted:

What if... Varner did what he did but then played an immunity idol

thexerox123 posted:

I think that's partially why Jeff basically skipped the vote.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm sure Jeff knows who has the idols. If anything, it would've been done that way to keep someone else from trying to do something slick.

I mean, Varner consented to it. He wouldn't if he had an idol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arcanen posted:

I don't think Zeke gets a pass here, because he understood it was what got him out last game, verbalised that, then decided to do it anyway.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that Zeke's just doing what most back-to-back players do by repeating his mistakes, but its a little tougher to swallow considering he plainly spelled out why he was screwing up and just did it anyway.

I mean, time off could still help him learn not to do that. But his brain already knew that and he just didn't listen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also possible for past players to learn the wrong lesson and not read the room. Ciera came in expecting everyone to be playing a million miles an hour like in Cambodia, then got ousted for overplaying.

I think Zeke's days are clearly numbered, but you never know, we might see a weird Zeke/Sarah/Debbie/Tai team that sits nicely in the middle til they can outnumber both alliances and cherrypick their targets. If Cirie/Andrea and Brad/Sierra can put aside their differences and work together to nip that alliance in the bud, I'd be impressed, but swing votes tend to sit pretty til around F7.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, Zeke's probably gonna benefit from the fact that he managed to make himself a totally powerless/friendless player so there's no real need to target him. That might give him time to recover, but if he follows his pattern he won't have the subtle skills to maneuver that and I don't see Cirie, Sierra, and Andrea wanting to take their eyes off him. But there's still enough numbers to make things interesting.

But Zeke's story is probably too good for anyone to want him sitting with them at the end, so he's probably going to have to dramatically improve his game if he's going to get there.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm still fully convinced Zeke got antsy about being under Andrea because of Survivor Brooklyn PTSD

STAC Goat posted:

Debbie kept up the tradition of using that power uselessly, but she wasn't really wrong in her reasoning. If Sarah had chosen to vote out Zeke then Debbie's second vote would have forced a tie. You could debate whether it was worth using an advantage like that to possibly force a tie, but if Debbie saw it as a key vote then it might have been worth it.

I mean, I don't think it was worth it since Debbie (like Zeke) seemed to kind of just decide to make a big move to try and take control just because instead of having a bigger plan for it. But there was logic in it.

At the very least, it actually COULD have been a meaningful vote which sets it aside from the last three players.
I think people are expecting too much out of the second vote by thinking that it strictly has to be the tiebreaking vote for it to have been played correctly. Imo Debbie did play the extra vote successfully, in that she organized the Ozzy vote and in the process told key people she was going to use an extra vote, which helped to push the plan forward and make sure it happened. The vote would have been 6-5 without it, yeah, but on top of that being very close, being able to promise an extra vote probably helped bring it to that point. My main question is I'm not sure why it was important to take out Ozzy. (she did tell a couple people she had it, right? I think i remember that but im not 100% sure)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Um it's always important to take out Ozzy after the merge because he could easily derp his way to the finals again like you did :v:. If Zeke has Andrea PTSD then I have lingering South Pacific trauma.

Does anybody else want a thread title change to:

Survivor 34: You suck at this game. See you never!

?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

New Michaela video is pretty good, and highlights something I felt in the last episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Exqg4pqIU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

I'm still fully convinced Zeke got antsy about being under Andrea because of Survivor Brooklyn PTSD

I think people are expecting too much out of the second vote by thinking that it strictly has to be the tiebreaking vote for it to have been played correctly. Imo Debbie did play the extra vote successfully, in that she organized the Ozzy vote and in the process told key people she was going to use an extra vote, which helped to push the plan forward and make sure it happened. The vote would have been 6-5 without it, yeah, but on top of that being very close, being able to promise an extra vote probably helped bring it to that point. My main question is I'm not sure why it was important to take out Ozzy. (she did tell a couple people she had it, right? I think i remember that but im not 100% sure)

I don't think we're disagreeing. I said that the vote was ultimately useless but that Debbie's reasoning for using it made sense. It served as a safeguard to force a tie at worst and theoretically push people to not want that. Maybe Sarah voted that way to avoid the tie, maybe Ozzy's side would have flipped if the tie had happened. We don't know exactly how Debbie used it socially but it made sense in theory. It just didn't matter in the end, but you can't really control that.

Ozzy's a big immunity threat and he seems well liked on the island so you wouldn't want to let him get near the end. Debbie seemed to just kind of target him as the obvious threat when Sierra was all confused about what was happening with Zeke. I hate Debbie but it was a good play to just use the chaos that Zeke had caused and try and just focus everyone on a clear target like Ozzy with a simple "lets take him out now while we can" argument. Its an easy rallying cry and if Debbie can use it to score more control it could be a great move.

I'm not convinced she did that second thing since I don't think her voting block is an "alliance" that is guaranteed to vote with her again next Tribal. But at the very least she managed to keep someone allied with her in the game and get someone on the other side of the island out. So Debbie was the winner this week.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Joe legitimately has the worst Instagram account ever. It's a mix of terrible "inspirational" quotes from questionable people (I know I always get my advice from alleged rapists, don't you??), photos of him with his tongue hanging out, things that could be viewed as racist, and ridiculous anti-Hillary / pro-Trump memes and posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdhSJP80AWw

I don't think there's ever been a moment on Survivor that tops whatever the flying gently caress these two are.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think we're disagreeing. I said that the vote was ultimately useless but that Debbie's reasoning for using it made sense. It served as a safeguard to force a tie at worst and theoretically push people to not want that. Maybe Sarah voted that way to avoid the tie, maybe Ozzy's side would have flipped if the tie had happened. We don't know exactly how Debbie used it socially but it made sense in theory. It just didn't matter in the end, but you can't really control that.

Ozzy's a big immunity threat and he seems well liked on the island so you wouldn't want to let him get near the end. Debbie seemed to just kind of target him as the obvious threat when Sierra was all confused about what was happening with Zeke. I hate Debbie but it was a good play to just use the chaos that Zeke had caused and try and just focus everyone on a clear target like Ozzy with a simple "lets take him out now while we can" argument. Its an easy rallying cry and if Debbie can use it to score more control it could be a great move.

I'm not convinced she did that second thing since I don't think her voting block is an "alliance" that is guaranteed to vote with her again next Tribal. But at the very least she managed to keep someone allied with her in the game and get someone on the other side of the island out. So Debbie was the winner this week.

I dunno, I think that voting group will probably stick together for a while. It's about taking out all the "threats". So, Cirie, Aubry, Zeke, and Andrea need to go. It's to the advantage of all six of them for that to happen. Plus, none of them yet thinks they are at the bottom, though Tai might get antsy at some point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Don't forget that you can't re-vote on a tie, so there'd have been no opportunity for Ozzy's side to flip, it'd have just gone straight to rocks.

Honestly if you were to use the vote to force a tie, 12's as good a time as any - it means you only have a 1 in 9 chance of drawing the black rock.

I'm not sure anyone right now is ride-or-die with their alliance. Brad would definitely want to stick with his crew, Michaela is pretty much indebted to Cirie. But everyone else looks like they could be flexible enough to team up against a common enemy. Or maybe Troyzan's too scared of working with girls again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SteveVizsla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdhSJP80AWw

I don't think there's ever been a moment on Survivor that tops whatever the flying gently caress these two are.

:cry:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's their WAR PAINT.

I'm down with making art on your body and finding inner peace and poo poo, but you just hit that line and it's all downhill from there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its super weird but I repeat that I'm not at all surprised to find out that Joe and Wigglesworth are having weird island sex and think Second Chances would have been more entertaining if they had gotten to it quicker and skeeved everyone out.

Spatula City posted:

I dunno, I think that voting group will probably stick together for a while. It's about taking out all the "threats". So, Cirie, Aubry, Zeke, and Andrea need to go. It's to the advantage of all six of them for that to happen. Plus, none of them yet thinks they are at the bottom, though Tai might get antsy at some point.

I mean, I really don't know. That just wasn't really an alliance coming together to counter another alliance or threats, it was Zeke creating chaos and Debbie using that chaos to oust Ozzy. Presumably Brad, Sierra, Troyzan, and Tai stay together as they were before the Debbie move and go back to targeting whoever they were targeting before the Zeke/Debbie madness but Sarah remains a wild card since she was just a swing vote and could easily swing back another way. It would be really stupid for her to stick with that crew. Plus Debbie's a wildcard, we don't know how long Brad and Sierra will coexist, and this is discounting that Cirie, Aubry, Zeke, or Andrea could do something to change things up. And then there's always Tai's craziness.

I'm just saying its early and I don't think we saw a F6 alliance form last episode. Its possible they stick together and do a pagonging but I sure as hell hope not. I hope Sarah/Debbie are more ambitious than that.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't forget that you can't re-vote on a tie, so there'd have been no opportunity for Ozzy's side to flip, it'd have just gone straight to rocks.

Well my impression is that they don't re-vote but they get to discuss whether they want to flip unanimously, and if they don't they go to rocks. So its basically the deal where Jessica got screwed because she couldn't convince the other side to flip and couldn't be convinced to flip herself, but officially and unanimously.

Which is still a scary situation and a good place to try and use the second vote as leverage to avoid it and make it scary to Sarah to possibly end up in that situation if she votes with Cirie's crew. I don't know if Debbie used it that way but there's some pretty solid justifications like that for her usage of it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 23, 2017

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

So pretentious and desperate for attention.

"We want to learn from other cultures how to tap into our true power"

So they get a world famous body painter another white dude who probably jacks it to Avatar to paint their pubes blue.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

It's their WAR PAINT.

I'm down with making art on your body and finding inner peace and poo poo, but you just hit that line and it's all downhill from there.

Since announcing their show last year, no one has picked it up, not even online-only channels, and the only filming they've done has been in Hawaii. .... Land of the jungles and war paint and spears that they don't know how to use? Even the articles that act like this is a completely normal, wonderful thing don't know why the gently caress they did these photos.

They're totes not having sex you guyz, they brought along her 3 year old son.

They're definitely having sex and making him stand behind a tree or something while they scream weird words.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I mean, it's just a tone-deaf publicity stunt designed to generate buzz (congrats, I guess) and appeal to Woke Millennials. They have also clearly confused being on TV with being able to make TV. I don't want this to turn into a seminar in how to plan, shoot, edit, and shop a pilot, but they've already missed a few memos.

Who'd even sponsor this crap? I can't see any reasonable marketing person who would touch this with a long pole.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 24, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

20 years or so into modern reality/travel/whatever shows I feel like I'm beyond criticizing anyone for thinking their thing to could get on TV.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SteveVizsla posted:

Joe legitimately has the worst Instagram account ever. It's a mix of terrible "inspirational" quotes from questionable people (I know I always get my advice from alleged rapists, don't you??), photos of him with his tongue hanging out, things that could be viewed as racist, and ridiculous anti-Hillary / pro-Trump memes and posts.

oh man i didn't know that about him

lol
https://twitter.com/Janglim21/status/788482084943704064

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I don't want this to turn into a seminar in how to plan, shoot, edit, and shop a pilot

Go for it. What the hell else do we have to talk about between episodes.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
We could analyze Russel's HvV gameplay some more.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

STAC Goat posted:

20 years or so into modern reality/travel/whatever shows I feel like I'm beyond criticizing anyone for thinking their thing to could get on TV.

I get your point, but at the very least each reality show on the air has a clear basic premise. Rednecks going hunting. Toddlers being taken advantage of by stage moms. Obese people having difficulty in day to day life.

I mean, take a gander at this poo poo:

lol joe anglim posted:

"It’s very spiritual. We’re trying to really inspire people to get outside of their comfort zones,” says Anglim. “I’m trying to share what I believe to be true. Life is amazing when you tap into it, when you let go, when you really understand what’s important, and that’s what myself and Kelly really learned. Survivor puts you in an environment completely out of your control, so you have to learn how to react. Our entire life is one big reaction, and you have to learn how to control it. You need to learn how to own your actions and be responsible for your actions. The only thing you can ultimately control is that.

He added, “I want people to experience what I got a taste of on Survivor. You’ve got to put yourself out there. You’ve got to take risks.”

The hell even is that?!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

pokeyman posted:

Go for it. What the hell else do we have to talk about between episodes.

Cool. Step by step maybe, a new industry fuckup every weekend.

From the top, they hosed themselves by going public on their own. That removed the initial publicity incentive for the network dumb enough to buy their drat show. The network gets to announce the new schedule and their exciting series premieres.

I don't know what kind of crew they have with the production, but the nature of it tells me that he and Kelly are co-producers. Usually that's the position in charge of finances and logistics, and reality shows don't really need directors (creative control and staffing). They're doing this on their own and they clearly have no experience with it.

The problem is that they shouldn't have started by loving filming and trying to promote it and shop it around by themselves. I'm sure CBS could (have) help(ed) them get into a few rooms to pitch the show or shop the pilot, but that only goes so far. You need a producer, and not even necessarily a good or famous one, but you need somebody in financial control who can do lunch around town and talk up the concept.

Basically, they needed to find an agent in town to link them up with production before they took a single photo or filmed a single frame. That guy has a publicist or five on speed dial and knows that you don't go to People magazine and announce a new show before you have an ironclad guarantee that at least one episode will see the air. The network is affording you that privilege. They get to do that. The only exceptions you'll see here is like, say, if Dave Chappelle wants to do a new show, dropping a sound bite won't doom the project because the networks would have a bidding war over it. They could take or leave the cultural spiritual journey of washed up competition reality stars.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The hell even is that?!

A narcissistic idiot having a "deep" revelation for possibly the first time in his life and deciding that everyone needs to know about it

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

At least everyone who wanted to see Joe's dilz finally can.

http://www.roustanbodypaint.com/mana

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Is there a better episode title in the Survivor series than Trial By Fire? (From Australia with the skupin medivac.)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Is there a better episode title in the Survivor series than Trial By Fire? (From Australia with the skupin medivac.)
If there was also a challenge with Reynold throwing things, Brandon Hantz's shoulder rub is in consideration.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah but hes talking about the names of the episode

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"You're Going to Want That Tooth" in Tocantins has always been a personal favorite of mine.

JT loses a tooth.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

san juan del sur has possibly the dumbest cast since nicaragua but the gameplay is so strangely enticing.

this is definitely one of the weirder rewatches. i dont know if i rank sjds super high or really low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Victorkm posted:

At least everyone who wanted to see Joe's dilz finally can.

He already had full mast dickpics leaked recently.

• Locked thread