Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

That certain Utah based regional isn't what it used to be and I can't recommend going somewhere else strongly enough.

Are you CRJ or ERJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Are you CRJ or ERJ?

CRJ

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Last 727 flight for Amerijet, and the last flight for that airframe, ever. Landing Sebring to get turned into beer cans.

:(

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AJT99

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

MrYenko posted:

Last 727 flight for Amerijet, and the last flight for that airframe, ever. Landing Sebring to get turned into beer cans.

:(

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AJT99

It will continue to bring joy to people

It seems like the CRJ and ERJ side are 2 completely different airlines. Or are a lot of the ERJ people just as unhappy?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

It will continue to bring joy to people

It seems like the CRJ and ERJ side are 2 completely different airlines. Or are a lot of the ERJ people just as unhappy?

Not sure, I literally never interact with ERJ crews. Captain side is crazy senior though so good luck upgrading ever if you want to stay ERJ.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

e.pilot posted:

That certain Utah based regional isn't what it used to be and I can't recommend going somewhere else strongly enough.

:( :hf: :( I presume you voted NO, correct?

Rickety Cricket posted:

There are some sour grapes on that side of the fleet, but the negativity is nowhere near where it is on the CRJ I think. We like to joke we're still doing the actual regional flying, and the 175 is OO "mainline" or "heavy" since they do all the prime routes that tend to pay better, have better overnights, and (microscopic) better staffing. I haven't dropped any trips or legs in over 2 years, yet my roommate is a new FO on the 175 and already has been displaced twice(!) this month, giving him 15 days off and being on track to credit 100+ hours this month, since you get paid for the trip you got displaced off of.

With all that said, I still like going to work and hanging out with crews on trips, it keeps reminding me why I took this job in the first place :)

e.pilot posted:

Not sure, I literally never interact with ERJ crews. Captain side is crazy senior though so good luck upgrading ever if you want to stay ERJ.

According to some rumor-mongering on facebook and the pilot forums, most junior captain is an April '16 hire but that dude will be on reserve forever probably.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

:( :hf: :( I presume you voted NO, correct?

There are some sour grapes on that side of the fleet, but the negativity is nowhere near where it is on the CRJ I think. We like to joke we're still doing the actual regional flying, and the 175 is OO "mainline" or "heavy" since they do all the prime routes that tend to pay better, have better overnights, and (microscopic) better staffing. I haven't dropped any trips or legs in over 2 years, yet my roommate is a new FO on the 175 and already has been displaced twice(!) this month, giving him 15 days off and being on track to credit 100+ hours this month, since you get paid for the trip you got displaced off of.

With all that said, I still like going to work and hanging out with crews on trips, it keeps reminding me why I took this job in the first place :)

According to some rumor-mongering on facebook and the pilot forums, most junior captain is an April '16 hire but that dude will be on reserve forever probably.

My crews have all been exceptionally grumpy and disgruntled, in the 7mo I’ve been on the line I’ve done things on overnights exactly twice. Almost nobody I’ve flown with really wants to be here and it’s wearing down on me, I really regret coming here.

Also I wasn’t counting upgrading in LGA and being on reserve forever as technically upgrading :negative:

E: and if this TA passes and I don’t make it to Atlas I will 100% upgrade elsewhere that’s taking street CAs

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 14, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DrDork posted:

Even with the cocksucking, my understanding is that "good" regional Captain pay is still pretty meh compared to legacy FO pay, let alone legacy Captain pay. Unless a legacy won't pick you up, or you really like the routes you're flying, there doesn't seem to be any reason to stay at a regional a day longer than you have to, unless I'm missing something here.

My first CFI from 13 years ago is originally from Cincinnati and the flight school we flew at opening a satellite in Dayton at the time was a dream for him. He now flies for a streaky blue carrier, holds a CVG base, and I would imagine is fairly senior at this point. He bought a house across the river and is now also married with a kid, so the last I heard, he had no plans of leaving.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

e.pilot posted:

My crews have all been exceptionally grumpy and disgruntled, in the 7mo I’ve been on the line I’ve done things on overnights exactly twice. Almost nobody I’ve flown with really wants to be here and it’s wearing down on me, I really regret coming here.

Also I wasn’t counting upgrading in LGA and being on reserve forever as technically upgrading :negative:

E: and if this TA passes and I don’t make it to Atlas I will 100% upgrade elsewhere that’s taking street CAs

Where are you based? ORD still has some pretty fun crews but I did notice the morale getting worse the last couple months as an FO. I was flying with a lot of 4-7 year guys and they seemed to be the most miserable with the company despite still being pretty young. Trying to not be like that now as a captain, but the QOL hit has been pretty brutal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Trying to not be like that now as a captain, but the QOL hit has been pretty brutal.

What are they having you do that's so brutal?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

DrDork posted:

What are they having you do that's so brutal?

It's nothing out of the ordinary at other airlines, but going from a 10% FO to a 95% captain just sucks. I'm not a fan of the new reserve system, I preferred the old hard lines instead of bidding for days off. I can't get awarded vacation or gold days for a random weekend in August because all the vacation slots are full until November. Going from 15+ days off a month and 90 hours of credit to 12 days off and possibly not hitting guarantee sucks. I'm not a commuter but our new proffering system is screwing commuters by making them come in earlier than their reserve period begins.

I signed up for it though, no one made me upgrade, but for some reason I didn't think the schedule would be nearly as bad as captains had warned me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Where are you based? ORD still has some pretty fun crews but I did notice the morale getting worse the last couple months as an FO. I was flying with a lot of 4-7 year guys and they seemed to be the most miserable with the company despite still being pretty young. Trying to not be like that now as a captain, but the QOL hit has been pretty brutal.

DTW up until this month, now I’m in DEN and it’s a little better, but it’s still somehow worse than where I was before flying 135 slave labor.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

It's nothing out of the ordinary at other airlines, but going from a 10% FO to a 95% captain just sucks. I'm not a fan of the new reserve system, I preferred the old hard lines instead of bidding for days off. I can't get awarded vacation or gold days for a random weekend in August because all the vacation slots are full until November. Going from 15+ days off a month and 90 hours of credit to 12 days off and possibly not hitting guarantee sucks. I'm not a commuter but our new proffering system is screwing commuters by making them come in earlier than their reserve period begins.

I signed up for it though, no one made me upgrade, but for some reason I didn't think the schedule would be nearly as bad as captains had warned me.

That's why I delayed upgrade until I could hold a line, and also got rid of my place in SLC and moved to Chicago so I wouldn't commute, unlike many of my friends here. If you are ORD based come down to Logan Square and get drunk with me some time (and yes that's an open invite to anybody else that's based here)

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Even me?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
1. Leave your west coast base for ORD
2. Move to base because commuting to ORD from the west coast sucks
3. Realize you now live in ORD
4. Solve item 3 by drinking a lot of alcohol

It's like looking into a mirror of my own life choices.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chicago owns though, you should live in Chicago instead of ORD. :v:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I miss living in Chicago :(

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

I miss living in Chicago :(

I still miss things in Chicago, but do not miss living there. Flying out of MDW for the better part of 16 years was very cool, though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ausgezeichnet posted:

I still miss things in Chicago, but do not miss living there. Flying out of MDW for the better part of 16 years was very cool, though.

going into and out of MDW is wild, one of my favorite airports to land at

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sim day one in the Falcon 50ex, hot drat being in the left seat is a thousand times easier than the right.

gently caress yeah for being a captain.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

KodiakRS posted:

1. Leave your west coast base for ORD
2. Move to base because commuting to ORD from the west coast sucks
3. Realize you now live in ORD
4. Solve item 3 by drinking a lot of alcohol

It's like looking into a mirror of my own life choices.

I legit didn't understand why anybody on the west coast wouldn't come to Compass. But now Compass is a flaming dumpster fire until staffing gets normal (92 hr 11 day off line this month at 62% CA, coverage days when I was trying to get time off). I'm pretty unhappy at the moment. Supposedly they are cutting classes in half now and just hiring for attrition and we are fully staffed once they all get on the line in August or September. I miss being able to drop or trade trips, like, ever. I hope that comes back...
Ironically even if Delta had hired me, my class would have been delayed til October. I'm torn between trying for Atlas/Spirit/Jetblue just to get out, but that means a commute (except Atlas) and I just really want to get 1000TPIC first, I dunno. Haven't given up on FedEx or United yet...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Slaughter posted:

I legit didn't understand why anybody on the west coast wouldn't come to Compass. But now Compass is a flaming dumpster fire until staffing gets normal (92 hr 11 day off line this month at 62% CA, coverage days when I was trying to get time off). I'm pretty unhappy at the moment. Supposedly they are cutting classes in half now and just hiring for attrition and we are fully staffed once they all get on the line in August or September. I miss being able to drop or trade trips, like, ever. I hope that comes back...
Ironically even if Delta had hired me, my class would have been delayed til October. I'm torn between trying for Atlas/Spirit/Jetblue just to get out, but that means a commute (except Atlas) and I just really want to get 1000TPIC first, I dunno. Haven't given up on FedEx or United yet...

I had a friend who went to Compass while living in Virginia. He drew an LAX base and was creatively non-revving to get to the starting point of trips (he did CHO-LGA-CMH (overnight)-LAX once), even to the point of hopping UPS at least once to go ROA(I think)-SDF-SEA and sleeping in the back.

In terms of classes, it sounds like PSA's having trouble filling classes now.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I commuted home on Fedex once or twice and holy loving poo poo I'm not made for night freight.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wait I thought that senior captains with 40 years of experience with Delta were only making like $30k a year? Were those waves of stories about pilots in poverty overblown or did pay go up drastically over the past three years?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wait I thought that senior captains with 40 years of experience with Delta were only making like $30k a year? Were those waves of stories about pilots in poverty overblown or did pay go up drastically over the past three years?

Senior captains with legacies have always (and continue to) make bank.

Captains at regionals do ok-ish, depending on what you think "ok" means for salary.

FO's at regionals, until fairly recently, would indeed be looking at potentially starting around $30k, which was insane considering a lot of them were trying to pay off education/training loans and poo poo, yeah. FO pay has gone up a good bit since then at most of the regionals, but it's still not great considering the level of responsibility and training required.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DrDork posted:

Senior captains with legacies have always (and continue to) make bank.

Captains at regionals do ok-ish, depending on what you think "ok" means for salary.

FO's at regionals, until fairly recently, would indeed be looking at potentially starting around $30k, which was insane considering a lot of them were trying to pay off education/training loans and poo poo, yeah. FO pay has gone up a good bit since then at most of the regionals, but it's still not great considering the level of responsibility and training required.

Just before I decided to abandon flying, the two airlines which would have been at the top of my list (PSA and Republic) were both starting FOs around $20k and maxed out about $34k after 5 years.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Jesus. gently caress that. How long does it take to make it out of a regional? The military transition poo poo sucks because I’m going in with minimal hours thanks to great USMC readiness.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus. gently caress that. How long does it take to make it out of a regional? The military transition poo poo sucks because I’m going in with minimal hours thanks to great USMC readiness.

Full disclosure, I bailed on a flying career in early 2013 and things have improved but, in the grand scheme of things, if it's much of an improvement would be better answered by the resident Regional guys.

Airline Pilot Central has pay calculators which are interactive.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Going through my old W-2's, I made $26k my first year at a regional (in 2014), and that was at what was then one of the highest starting FO pay scales in the industry.

Now, you'd probably make $40-50k most places due to various bonuses and higher starting pay, but those bonuses can and will disappear as soon as there's another recession or something else that tanks the airline industry.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Going through my old W-2's, I made $26k my first year at a regional (in 2014), and that was at what was then one of the highest starting FO pay scales in the industry.

Now, you'd probably make $40-50k most places due to various bonuses and higher starting pay, but those bonuses can and will disappear as soon as there's another recession or something else that tanks the airline industry.

This.

I spend 7.5 years a the regionals before bailing. Life is good but drat it sucked for a decade. Money is still tight but maybe one day I'll catch up to my peers

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 20, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

AWSEFT posted:

Life is good but drat it sucked for a decade.

This is exactly what I tell people that pee their pants crying over me working a few days a week and making a living wage. I then ask them when the last time was that they went to bed hungry even though they worked 7 days that week.

I earned what I have.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The only thing that made my 4 years as a regional FO bearable were the flying benefits. I travelled the world on business and first class cabins, easily getting $70k or more worth of plane tickets a year. I was single and was basically a drifter living off of friends rooms and couches, only paying $300 for a room to store my things in and sleep when I was “home” (in base.) It was a great time of my life but the most I ever made was around $40k and my retirement savings have a nice big 5 year hole that I’m now feverishly trying to fill with tax advantaged money.

So yeah, if I hadn’t had so much fun traveling, I would have absolutely hated it. Now I get paid more than twice as much and see the world WHILE I’m at work (hello from a nice hotel in Seoul, headed to Sydney tomorrow) so I can enjoy spending time at home in Brooklyn. Where I can afford to live in thanks to the good financial planning and habits that I learned being poor regional FO.

Animal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 17, 2018

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 20, 2019

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah not everyone is in a situation to take advantage of it, and some people just plain don’t enjoy traveling that much.

Congrats on the new job. Is it a “destination airline”?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Animal posted:

Yeah not everyone is in a situation to take advantage of it, and some people just plain don’t enjoy traveling that much.

i get what you're saying but lol at a commercial pilot going "yeah, i dunno, i just plain don't enjoy travelling that much"

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i get what you're saying but lol at a commercial pilot going "yeah, i dunno, i just plain don't enjoy travelling that much"

There’s a lot of people in this industry that don’t. Not a shocker that they’re the most miserable people to fly with

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You’d be surprised how many there are. A lot of pilots only are only so because they are aviation nerds, or because daddy did it. They are indeed the most insufferable.

A good example is today. We have a 36 hour layover in Incheon. I invited them to join me on a train to Seoul, I know the city well and we’ll have a good time, it’s an epic cityscape especially in the evening. Nah. One of them told me he’s been coming here for over ten years and has never been to the city. Complete disinterest. My favorite ones are the ones who will walk for 20 minutes wondering around insanely awesome culinary places like Taipei or Naples... looking for a Subway or a McDonalds. They eat, and go back to lock themselves in their hotel room to stream Fox News on their computers and rant on Airline Pilot Central.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

You’d be surprised how many there are. A lot of pilots only are only so because they are aviation nerds, or because daddy did it. They are indeed the most insufferable.

A good example is today. We have a 36 hour layover in Incheon. I invited them to join me on a train to Seoul, I know the city well and we’ll have a good time, it’s an epic cityscape especially in the evening. Nah. One of them told me he’s been coming here for over ten years and has never been to the city. Complete disinterest. My favorite ones are the ones who will walk for 20 minutes wondering around insanely awesome culinary places like Taipei or Naples... looking for a Subway or a McDonalds. They eat, and go back to lock themselves in their hotel room to stream Fox News on their computers and rant on Airline Pilot Central.

That sound like an awful way to live life. The only thing really attracting me to the airline route right now is travel benefits and being able to go to cool places.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Animal posted:

A good example is today. We have a 36 hour layover in Incheon.

This is on the same level as the ones that don't like flying airplanes. First I was flabbergasted, then I became genuinely empathetically disappointed for them. It's actually tragic, starting on this career for whatever initial reason (maybe they saw a really cool flying movie, or something, who knows) and by the time the initial appeal wore off, they're locked into a miserable career doing something they don't enjoy. And stuck as a lifer at a regional, to boot.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

That sound like an awful way to live life. The only thing really attracting me to the airline route right now is travel benefits and being able to go to cool places.

PT6A posted:

They look like poo poo too, so I’m happy to leave them behind: dad jeans, lovely sneakers, phone clipped to their belt, “I fly Boeing” t-shirt a size too small for their bellies tucked inside their pants, and their hair cut by their wives. They might as well have a sign that says “I’m an American, come scam or pickpocket me”.

They outnumber the fun crews. It’s great when you get paired with crews who are down for exploring. Especially Europeans and Latinos. I don’t think I’ve ever been paired with any pilot from Europe that I have not gone out to hang out with and had a great time.