Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

treat posted:

I'm not defending poo poo, but I also don't feel the need to preface my posts with "kill all pigs forever" and I don't think it's fun or healthy to stew in hatred or mistakes that can't be fixed. Maybe I'm too sentimental, but you come off pinkerton-rear end agro, so maybe we both have weak points?

What I was getting at is why we think it's reasonable to expect someone who spends 10 years writing traffic tickets and wrangling drunks to kick into soldier mode at a moments notice rather than doing exactly what happened in Uvalde, and I'm particularly interested in exactly why these extended "threat assessment" picnics keep happening--whether it's bureaucratic or cultural or being two weeks from retirement or what. None of that "these were the bad apples" horseshit either, there's a systemic reason this happens time and time again and the only reason I can think of is that cops simply aren't prepared for it. Cops are playing overlapping roles in our society that range from social worker to military operator and it's loving crazy to expect them to behave in one way or another at a moments notice. This isn't a defense of American policing, it's a critique. If you honestly think these pigs were "just lovely cops who didn't do their job" as though they were some exception to the rule then you're doing a lot more to defend policing than I am.

I'm happy to believe that all cops cover or disable their body cams to beat in some dissident's head but when it comes to a situation like this I should just assume they jump straight into hero mode without weighing the same multitude of "what's going to get me into trouble?" scenarios in their heads? The cop who strangled someone to death for being black and the cop who sat on their hands during a school shooting might not be the same two people, but they come from the same stock and they hold the same roles. I'm not exactly stoked on having extensively trained LPN deathsquad cops on-call for extreme situations, either, but that seems to be a capability we all expect from police right now?

Yes, I expect literally everyone to be willing to risk their life for children that are getting murdered. Doubly so when it is their job and they trained and equipped to do so.

Random bystanders and teachers had no problem doing so.

That’s a pathetic attempt try to “turn it around” or whatever you think you’re doing. We’re not “asking police to do too much” we’re just not holding them accountable, ever.

You don’t need to be a “military operator” to do what the police are expected to do in situations involving violence so loving stop with that poo poo again. You’re just saying the same poo poo over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Even more the Right and Cops keep demanding that Teachers have guns to 'solve this on their own', yet the cops themselves cannot be trusted to have the courage to do so. So many double standards.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The cops actively tried to stop anyone else from intervening. They couldn't have done worse if they were actively aiding the shooter. Hell, maybe they were!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reminds me also of the occasional UK stabbing spree that ends with the public wrestling the guy down and then the cops show up to shoot him in the head after the public have already done the work.

Literally replace cops with those six foot catch poles they have in asia.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The cops actively tried to stop anyone else from intervening. They couldn't have done worse if they were actively aiding the shooter. Hell, maybe they were!

Preventing random bystanders from charging in seems, in isolation, like a good thing actually? I mean, some trigger happy Texan shooting at the first kids they see might be even worse than the police.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Reminds me also of the occasional UK stabbing spree that ends with the public wrestling the guy down and then the cops show up to shoot him in the head after the public have already done the work.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/319246/police-fatal-shootings-england-wales/

In 2020/21 the police in England and Wales fatally shot one person, compared with three in the previous reporting year, and six in 2016/17.

"Police In England And Wales Went Two Years Without Fatally Shooting Someone"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/police-in-england-and-wales-went-two-years-without-fatally-shooting-someone/

There's some fatal shootings were it's not clear at all if the person shot was a direct danger at that time, like Anthony Grainger or Mark Duggan or Sean Fitzgerald (these three are by the way last ten years, as an example, not last three months).
So unless you refer to the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes, in 2005, or you think "shooting a suspected man with bomb belt running towards civilians after a stabbing spree" by the plain clothes cop on London Bridge as "showing up to shoot him in the head" I do not know what you are referring to.

British cops are equally bastards, but what you are saying is so far off the hinge of reality, and even a far fetched attempt at comparing any european police service with your american one is ignoring the problem that the problem isn't purely "a cop" problem, it is "an american cop problem". The US has a population four times higher than the UK, and this comparison above already shows how loving off any comparison these countries are.

Darrel Wilson shot at Mike Brown with twelve bullets. That's more _bullets_ than Finnish police fired in the same year, on year that incluced a SWAT team in a shootout with Hells Angels.

So yeah, ACAB, but this is an american issue at its core.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Preventing random bystanders from charging in seems, in isolation, like a good thing actually? I mean, some trigger happy Texan shooting at the first kids they see might be even worse than the police.

I think the problem here is that mass shootings have a very different calculus especially when they involve children. All the rules of thumb about "just let the thief take what he wants" doesn't work out when what the "thief" wants is murder.

For example, bystanders charging into danger is exactly what ended the rampage in Uvalde. A bunch of bystanders armed worse than the police snuck their way past the cops and took out the shooter.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 1, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have neither the ability nor the desire to steal your american murder cop valour, I point it out because even in the ideal circumstance where the police kill comparatively few people per year, they are still generally incapable of productively responding to outbreaks of murderous violence.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Whether the cops should have gone in immediately to eliminate the shooter is an open question - I have no idea how well trained Uvalde cops are, and they could all be glorified parking enforcement for all I know. But your average beat cop could have gone in to clear other classrooms and get students to safety if they didn't trust their own shooting in that situation.

That said, Uvalde also has a SWAT team they love to publicize, and that recently underwent active shooter training. Where the gently caress were they?

The core of it is that sitting outside and waiting for someone else to solve the problem is insufficient. And when your job revolves around public trust, they couldn't have found a more effective way to eliminate that on a national scale.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s not an open question. At all. It’s been well established for at least a decade that moving to confront a spree killer as fast as possible is the only move. Even cops or random concealed carriers just really cannot realistically make the situation worse. Unlike most police and military doctrine which is both untestable and often just marketing from their suppliers there actually is empirical evidence from data that shows that the more time a spree killer has with victims prior to receiving return fire or other sorts of effective resistance the more people die. Even if you go in and spray and hit a bystander and then get merked you at least force the shooter to now be moving much more carefully and slowly while they hunt for more people to kill. I posted the actual SOP of the uvalde police department that also stated this.

I highly doubt there is a single department that if they have an SOP about active shooter says anything other than “first cops on scene go straight after the gunman.”

In fact I’ll tox that you cannot find a current SOP of a US police department explicitly about active shooters that says “wait and contain” or “wait for the swat team.”

The bottom line is that police culture is so rotten they can and do break their own written rules in the name of officer safety with no consequence and have culturally trained themselves to mentally put all non cops outside their circle of humanity.

There isn’t a solution that doesn’t require dismantling police unions and putting in real mechanisms to impose discipline on police officers controlled by elected local officials. Unfortunately it will be very hard to get that done, but all this lighter reform bullshit is nibbling around the edges.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PerniciousKnid posted:

In 99% of crimes sure but if it really is an active shooter, no.

There are obviously gun control measures and rolling back policies that lead to a sufficient amount of social alienation for these to be common that would also address the root issues here but banning easy access to semi auto firearms and putting in a real social safety net and healthcare system while undoing gig economy capitalism are even more unlikely than police reform.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The other huge glaring issue which seems uniquely american is the fractal nature of law enforcement. 15,217 is the population of Uvalde, and it has loving SWAT teams, I mean "SWAT teams", and school cops and what the gently caress not. Who does this agency hold itself accountable to? loving no one besides the city council. That's all. It gets even worse elsewhere, with towns of 3000 people having a Police Chief, a Police Lieutenant, and one part time cop. They literally are accountable to one mayor who is also their cousin.

Uvalde's cops just mooch money by hundreds of thousands, but ultimately it is just a few loving losers with humongous budgets, 100k in overtime pay, and no actual standards to hold on to.
It's not like it would improve every issue, but having a state police agency or a federal one that always has someone higher to accountable would probably get rid of something like this where losers play SWAT-team with no actual accountability.

Just as an example, if the HRT of FBI would fail its fundamental task, I'd imagine it would get reamed to hell and back with the endless amount of bureaucrats above it. But with Uvalde, and so many other cases, there's no one above them.

And I'll admit when I first heard the news that they're preventing people from going in, and taking a moment outside, I thought they were doing what they're supposed to. But I was wrong as hell, instead they literally just camped outside and this wasn't a thing that happened in the course of a few minutes, but almost an hour. And crazy too that the Border Patrol Agents weren't even officially called to the scene, but parents of kids. I can't believe that loving Border Patrol agents organized a better assault team in their jeans and off-duty pistols than this loving "SWAT team".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

In 99% of crimes sure but if it really is an active shooter, no.

There are obviously gun control measures and rolling back policies that lead to a sufficient amount of social alienation for these to be common that would also address the root issues here but banning easy access to semi auto firearms and putting in a real social safety net and healthcare system while undoing gig economy capitalism are even more unlikely than police reform.
Letting randos run into an active shooter situation seems like one of the worst ideas.

It's just the cops being complete assclowns in this instance that makese it seem like the better option.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Whether the cops should have gone in immediately to eliminate the shooter is an open question - I have no idea how well trained Uvalde cops are, and they could all be glorified parking enforcement for all I know. But your average beat cop could have gone in to clear other classrooms and get students to safety if they didn't trust their own shooting in that situation.

That said, Uvalde also has a SWAT team they love to publicize, and that recently underwent active shooter training. Where the gently caress were they?

The core of it is that sitting outside and waiting for someone else to solve the problem is insufficient. And when your job revolves around public trust, they couldn't have found a more effective way to eliminate that on a national scale.
Going in immediately is the textbook thing to do. Plus they were specifically bragging about doing school shooting trainings so one would assume they know that.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the problem here is that mass shootings have a very different calculus especially when they involve children. All the rules of thumb about "just let the thief take what he wants" doesn't work out when what the "thief" wants is murder.

For example, bystanders charging into danger is exactly what ended the rampage in Uvalde. A bunch of bystanders armed worse than the police snuck their way past the cops and took out the shooter.
The bystanders were CBP agents?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

The bystanders were CBP agents?

Yes. Their children were in the building.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

This was the guy with the (turned out to be fake/non-working) suicide vest?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Catch poles are just for the Dabai, we have the 人民武装警察(People’s Armed Police) who are pretty trigger happy when they feel like it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Catch poles are just for the Dabai, we have the 人民武装警察(People’s Armed Police) who are pretty trigger happy when they feel like it.
I'd take that over the standard pepper spray/tasing/beatdown.

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yes, I expect literally everyone to be willing to risk their life for children that are getting murdered. Doubly so when it is their job and they trained and equipped to do so.

That’s a pathetic attempt try to “turn it around” or whatever you think you’re doing. We’re not “asking police to do too much” we’re just not holding them accountable, ever.

You don’t need to be a “military operator” to do what the police are expected to do in situations involving violence so loving stop with that poo poo again. You’re just saying the same poo poo over and over.

Right, not only should the average person be willing to act, but in this instance the police had taken on an affirmative duty to do so. They signed up and received trained and equipment for it; as law enforcement it was also their particular duty.

Which leads me to conclude that they should voluntarily expiate their failing or else be prosecuted and reviled. I believe that a public official that commits a severe criminal offense or abuse of office should be allowed to officially redeem their honour by voluntarily surrendering all assets and going into permanent exile, or by ritual suicide. In a sense this also cleanses the pollution from the public institution. If they do this then they can improve their standing and the standing of the police department to a certain degree, even though this would still remain a terrible and offensive tragedy.

I would also say there's some leeway here; I am not necessarily expecting everyone in the department to commit ritual suicide in a public ceremony. It might only be appropriate for the Chief or a handful of ranking figures that made certain decisions and otherwise crippled the response. This position also depends on a full review of the material available; someone would need to confirm the timelines, that police were present while the kids were slowly being executed in the building, etc. Of course, the people involved would have direct personal knowledge, so they could act immediately.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

British cops are equally bastards, but what you are saying is so far off the hinge of reality, and even a far fetched attempt at comparing any european police service with your american one is ignoring the problem that the problem isn't purely "a cop" problem, it is "an american cop problem". The US has a population four times higher than the UK, and this comparison above already shows how loving off any comparison these countries are.

Darrel Wilson shot at Mike Brown with twelve bullets. That's more _bullets_ than Finnish police fired in the same year, on year that incluced a SWAT team in a shootout with Hells Angels.

So yeah, ACAB, but this is an american issue at its core.

100%. I remember doing assignments in my crim justice degree comparing different Western countries' police forces and you basically just have to drop America off the radar because it's so fundamentally different (in many issues, but also policing) as to make any attempt at comparison pointless.

On that note, again, American cops kill civilians at a hugely disproportionate rate compared to other countries; but they also get killed at a hugely disproportionate rate compared to cops in other countries. Blame it on guns or American culture or race issues or whatever, but the US is deeply aberrant in so many ways compared to literally every other Western country.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Useful article discussing how police are increasingly worthless even as more money get poured into them. Large budgets mostly just go to hiring more barely trained thugs driving around in cruisers doing not-loving-much, and their success as solving crimes has gotten worse even as the technology for doing so has improved.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

fool of sound posted:

Useful article discussing how police are increasingly worthless even as more money get poured into them. Large budgets mostly just go to hiring more barely trained thugs driving around in cruisers doing not-loving-much, and their success as solving crimes has gotten worse even as the technology for doing so has improved.

They're very effective at their jobs. People don't seem to understand what their jobs are.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

They're very effective at their jobs. People don't seem to understand what their jobs are.

Their supposed jobs at least. In practice the only thing they're good at is ensuring poor people are criminalized early and often.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jaxyon posted:

This is what most liberals don’t understand and why they always reach for technocratic solutions. It doesn’t matter if you tweak incentives and programs here or there because the problem is that the government is actually very very good at what the most concentrated capital interests wants it to do and very bad at what it doesn’t want.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Adam Smith posted:

We observe then, that in cities where there is most police and the greatest number of regulations concerning it, there is not always the greatest security. In Paris the regulations concerning police are so numerous as not to be comprehended in several volumes; in London there are [155] only two or three simple regulations. Yet in Paris scarce a night passes without somebody being killed, while in London, which is a larger city, there are scarce three or four in a year. On this account one would be apt to think, that the more police there is the less security; but this is not the cause. In England as well as in France, during the time of the feudal government, and as late as Queen Elizabeth’s reign, great numbers of retainers were kept idle about the noblemen’s houses1, to keep the tenants in awe. These retainers, when turned out, had no other way of getting their subsistence but by committing robberies, and living on plunder, which occasioned the greatest disorder. A remain of the feudal manners, still preserved in France, gives occasion to the difference. The nobility at Paris keep far more menial servants than ours, who are often turned out on their own account or through the caprice of their masters, and, being in the most indigent circumstances, are forced to commit the most dreadful crimes. In Glasgow, where almost nobody has more than one servant, there are fewer capital crimes than in Edinburgh. In Glasgow there is not one in several years; but not a year passes in Edinburgh without some such disorders. Upon this principle, therefore, it is not so much the police that prevents the commission of crimes as the having as few persons as possible to live upon others. Nothing tends so much to corrupt mankind as dependency, while independency still increases the honesty of the people.

The establishment of commerce and manufactures, which brings about this independency, is the best police for preventing crimes2. The common people have better wages in [156] this way than in any other, and in consequence of this a general probity of manners takes place through the whole country. Nobody will be so mad as to expose himself upon the highway, when he can make better bread in an honest and industrious manner. The nobility of Paris and London are no doubt much upon a level; but the common people of the former, being much more dependent, are not to be compared with those of the latter: and for the same reason the commonalty in Scotland differ from those in England, though the nobility too1are much upon a level.

Tldr: poverty causes people to prey upon each other, and police do not prevent it
The only way to stop crime is to make sure people have enough money where they don't have to be criminals.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 3, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

treat posted:

I'm not defending poo poo, but I also don't feel the need to preface my posts with "kill all pigs forever" and I don't think it's fun or healthy to stew in hatred or mistakes that can't be fixed. Maybe I'm too sentimental, but you come off pinkerton-rear end agro, so maybe we both have weak points?

What I was getting at is why we think it's reasonable to expect someone who spends 10 years writing traffic tickets and wrangling drunks to kick into soldier mode at a moments notice rather than doing exactly what happened in Uvalde, and I'm particularly interested in exactly why these extended "threat assessment" picnics keep happening--whether it's bureaucratic or cultural or being two weeks from retirement or what. None of that "these were the bad apples" horseshit either, there's a systemic reason this happens time and time again and the only reason I can think of is that cops simply aren't prepared for it. Cops are playing overlapping roles in our society that range from social worker to military operator and it's loving crazy to expect them to behave in one way or another at a moments notice. This isn't a defense of American policing, it's a critique. If you honestly think these pigs were "just lovely cops who didn't do their job" as though they were some exception to the rule then you're doing a lot more to defend policing than I am.

I'm happy to believe that all cops cover or disable their body cams to beat in some dissident's head but when it comes to a situation like this I should just assume they jump straight into hero mode without weighing the same multitude of "what's going to get me into trouble?" scenarios in their heads? The cop who strangled someone to death for being black and the cop who sat on their hands during a school shooting might not be the same two people, but they come from the same stock and they hold the same roles. I'm not exactly stoked on having extensively trained LPN deathsquad cops on-call for extreme situations, either, but that seems to be a capability we all expect from police right now?

Been a minute but just wanted to say gently caress you again!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Side question- what actually happens to an American police officer when they lose their gun? Is it one of those things, like murder, that they can just walk off? If it's bad for them, how exactly is it bad?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cheston posted:

Side question- what actually happens to an American police officer when they lose their gun? Is it one of those things, like murder, that they can just walk off? If it's bad for them, how exactly is it bad?

You get a week in time out.

https://abc7ny.com/guns-new-jersey-state-police-investigation/688854/

I browsed a couple of other sources and that seems to be the standard. If anything happens, which they might not do anything at all because lol American cops.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey guess what

That Ferguson activist who mysteriously died after being shot to death, put in his car, and then set on fire had a 900 page FBI surveillance file (of which 850+ pages remain fully redacted) and was harassed by local police at the explicit direction of the feds

quote:

Ferguson Activist Darren Seals Was Surveilled by FBI, File Shows
The 900 page, mostly redacted file says that police pulled Seals over at the request of FBI

The FBI file shows Seals was under some level of FBI surveillance, though to what extent is unclear. The file on Seals runs over 900 pages, but around 860 of those pages were fully redacted. The remaining 45 or so pages still had significant partial redactions.

Notations in the file indicate that much of the redacted text pertains to "investigative techniques and procedures" as well as private information about people other than Seals.

According to the report, at one point Seals was "investigatively detained" during a traffic stop conducted by police at the request of the FBI.

That detention, which the report says lasted about 20 minutes, seems to be referring to a traffic stop that occurred June 8, 2016.

When police pulled him over, Seals was driving his 2012 Jeep Wrangler with a companion whose name is redacted.

The specific police agency working with federal law enforcement is redacted as well. The report does indicate that an FBI agent and a U.S. Marshal assisted in the stop.

A search of Seals' car turned up nothing.

Law enforcement told Seals there were warrants out for his arrest but then let him go.

A later addition to the FBI file states, "Traffic warrants for subject's arrest remain active if additional car stops are deemed merited."

----

One partially unredacted page records Seals' death. But like the vast majority of the document, its meaning is largely hidden behind redactions.

"SEALS was found shot to death and burned in his known vehicle on 9/6/2016. [redacted] Police Department is investigating the matter as a homicide," the report says. "The investigative plan will be to [redacted] homicide of SEALS because it is anticipated that violent protests may be generated by his death as conspiracy theories are already forming that Seals was killed by the police because of his black lives matter affiliations."

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/ferguson-activist-darren-seals-was-watched-by-the-fbi-file-shows-38501846

I wonder why people would jump to such a crazy conclusion that the cops might have killed him. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he's the sixth person killed in St. Louis in the exact same "shot in the head, put in their car, set on fire" execution style since the Ferguson protests and a police officer was directly implicated in another of those killings.

Anyway in current cops doing whatever they want news, the LA Sheriff has decided to go absolutely buck wild against multiple public officials that get in their business

quote:

According to LASD, the homes of Kuehl and Patricia "Patti" Giggans, who sits on the L.A. County Civilian Oversight Commission that oversees the sheriff's department, were searched Wednesday morning.

The search warrant, signed by Judge Craig Richman, who reportedly has close ties to LASD's Public Corruption Unit, doesn't explicitly state what investigators are looking for. The warrant doesn't require that information.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/homes-of-la-county-officials-searched-as-part-of-corruption-investigation-lasd-says/ar-AA11PngB

quote:

Ryan ordered sheriff’s investigators, including Dets. Mark Lillienfeld and Max Fernandez, to “cease searching any and all computers seized” from the Metro inspector general’s office until further instruction. Both are members of the sheriff’s secretive public corruption unit that critics say target Villanueva’s political enemies and others who have crossed him.

The judge set a hearing for next week, demanding answers to a list of questions about how and why the warrant was secured, and why key details were omitted from the judge, Craig Richman, who signed it.

Ryan asked in his order how it was determined — and by whom — that the warrant application would be presented to Richman. Richman and Lillienfeld have a decades-long relationship.

They have known each other since at least 1996, when Richman was a prosecutor handling an attempted murder case Lillienfeld investigated. The detective would later visit the judge’s home to get warrants signed. Lillienfeld’s wife worked in Richman’s courtroom, transcribing hearings as an official court reporter.

Their relationship came under scrutiny several years ago when there was an internal Sheriff’s Department inquiry into whether Lillienfeld tried to help Richman out of legal trouble.

Ryan also asked why sheriff’s investigators omitted from Richman that the other judge, Eleanor Hunter, had decided just two weeks ago to appoint a special master to oversee the search of the inspector general’s computers. Hunter said at the Sept. 1 hearing that she was appointing a special master to make sure materials that could be privileged under the attorney-client privilege are sealed.

Why, after Judge Hunter was going to require a Special Master, did the Sheriff immediately seek a warrant from a different judge, and who made that decision?” Ryan asked.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-09-16/judge-halts-search-metro-investigation

Why indeed

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The Oldest Man posted:

Hey guess what

That Ferguson activist who mysteriously died after being shot to death, put in his car, and then set on fire had a 900 page FBI surveillance file (of which 850+ pages remain fully redacted) and was harassed by local police at the explicit direction of the feds

I wonder why people would jump to such a crazy conclusion that the cops might have killed him. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that he's the sixth person killed in St. Louis in the exact same "shot in the head, put in their car, set on fire" execution style since the Ferguson protests and a police officer was directly implicated in another of those killings.

I haven't followed all of these murders too close, but is it known that the three who were charged in the murder of Darnell Robinson (Izirarry, Wallace, and Evans) didn't commit any of the other murders (Darren Seals or DeAndre Joshua)? Or the three who are charged in the murder of Antonio Jones (Johnson, Patton, Reasonover)? Or is it unknown if any of those people might have a connection to Seals/Joshua's murders?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 16, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Hey guess what

Anyway in current cops doing whatever they want news, the LA Sheriff has decided to go absolutely buck wild against multiple public officials that get in their business

Why indeed

I'm just all out of anger. It's just sad to see something so cruel and pointless. The people trying to make the world a better place always seem to be in the greatest danger.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
activists have been outright targeted and assassinated by police before

but also, about MLK Jr's assassination- when the evidence gets laid out it's clear the guy who pleaded guilty was not responsible and was definitely a fall guy.

In the 90's when the civil case was happening a lot of media ran to paint the King family and lawyer friends/investigators as trying to do a cash grab but the reality was that it vindicated what a lot of people had known and researched for years. A guy was wrongfully accused, got good but potentially costly legal help making it seem like he had chance to beat the charges but then was convinced to switch to a different lawyer who would do it for "free" but ended up taking the guy's assets and then told him to plead guilty.

I am not trying to say or imply the US government was involved in MLK Jr.'s assassination but it's obvious that whatever happened was not on the up-and-up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm just all out of anger. It's just sad to see something so cruel and pointless. The people trying to make the world a better place always seem to be in the greatest danger.

The cruelty is the point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Moved from the Tech Nightmares thread(as the robot wasn't really the discussion):

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the core of our disagreement itt is about whether the armed, hostile, barricaded man who continually swore his intention to murder more cops was an active threat or not if he was not physically firing his weapon at the police in this moment, which is a very silly and fishmechian place for a derail to end up imo. the active shooter who exists in a state of quantum superposition i guess

Actually no, a shooter who is being negotiated with is one who has been de-escalated and should continue to be de-escalated.

The difference between someone making threats and someone who is actively hurting people should be very obvious to you without bringing in non-Newtonian physics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1574040706074791936

https://atlantablackstar.com/2022/0...rked-on-tracks/

Colorado cops almost literally tie a woman to the train tracks, locking her in their patrol car and leaving it on the tracks until a train hits it. Fortunately she's still alive but with severe injuries.

Cops get paid leave.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This is dumb and childish, but I can’t stop thinking about the clip of Dave Grossman at his Killology seminar talking about how killing gets you “very invested in some very intense sex.” :barf: while a crowd of cops and likely spousal abusers hoots and oinks and slaps their pig hooves together. Not a single good cop pushing back.

There were some truly horrific police violence stories in the news this past few weeks, and I have to stop myself from piping up in some thread someone grieving might be reading and saying “police were trained to masturbate to this.” So awful it makes me look bad for pointing it out.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Dr Christmas posted:

This is dumb and childish, but I can’t stop thinking about the clip of Dave Grossman at his Killology seminar talking about how killing gets you “very invested in some very intense sex.” :barf: while a crowd of cops and likely spousal abusers hoots and oinks and slaps their pig hooves together. Not a single good cop pushing back.

There were some truly horrific police violence stories in the news this past few weeks, and I have to stop myself from piping up in some thread someone grieving might be reading and saying “police were trained to masturbate to this.” So awful it makes me look bad for pointing it out.

It's both extremely gross that he says that/they cheer it, and also yes it not a thing to bring up when someone is dealing with the horrors of their life in society.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
https://twitter.com/AWKWORDrap/status/1581421174088572928

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/us/tulsa-police-sergeant-audio-recording-reaj

This is what police think of liberal citizens in this country. This guy is in charge of a force of men and women that have the right to kill you or mess your life up forever. It is extremely disheartening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ManBoyChef posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/us/tulsa-police-sergeant-audio-recording-reaj

This is what police think of liberal citizens in this country. This guy is in charge of a force of men and women that have the right to kill you or mess your life up forever. It is extremely disheartening.

LA county sheriff has said worse and he has basically an army.

Remember that time that I think Minneapolis PD just drove around in a truck taking shots at people on the streets with bean bags to blow off steam?