Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Insanely complex cheating is my favourite. See also: Toyota's rally turbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Smokey's good, but that Toyota cheat was a massive engineering effort to do some shady poo poo, completely awesome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

hell yeah 90% of the rulebook is just enumerating poo poo they wanted Smokey Yunick to stop doing

famously "Well you specified the volume of the fuel tank nowhere does it say I can't have a 6" diameter fuel hose"

I like that the story doesn’t even having him getting caught for this one.

He tipped his hand because he was pissed off at the inspectors.

quote:

Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using 11-foot (3 meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 1.5 US gallons (6 liters) to the car's fuel capacity. Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten,"[3] and drove it back to the pits.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

nah simple and ballsy is the way

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bluechecks are now up to $20/month and the engineers are fired if they don't make it happen:

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/1586884530988027904?t=INFkuuvPc65YlFSh9xQFTQ&s=19

And Elon doesn't likely know/care that bluechecks were basically a settlement for a... Tony La Russa lawsuit?!

https://twitter.com/dhmontgomery/status/1586896906462134273?t=DI3jVuXt-QGOPC2LxPE5xA&s=19

It's now a race between Twitter and Facebook to see which crashes and burns the fastest :v:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if this is him toeing the line to see how far he can go before getting public backlash, then rolling things back just so people can see how gracious he is for listening to them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ok but does this also drop the "notability" requirement because who was that blue check that kept changing his display name and trolling other blue checks until they made a "display name change drops your verification" rule?

I'd pay $20 to play that game.

also lol isn't musk a huge "come back to the office" dipshit? can't fire them if they all quit on 11/2

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 31, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

nah simple and ballsy is the way

What am I looking at?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which was?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What am I looking at?

Dale (PBUH) The Intimidator lifting the corner of his car up with his foot while nascar inspects the body shape and ground clearance to the 0.001"

note the extremely rigid and tense body posture plus leaning away for maximum leverage

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 31, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Lancia having everybody plow the roads in winter rallies because they couldn't compete with the Quattro on snow was my favorite.

Even telling local mayor's that it was a safety hazard.

Engines were required to have restrictor plates installed on the turbo to limit engine power, thanks Group B.

Toyotas solution was a genius system that would lift the restrictor plate seals under installed conditions allowing air to bypass the restrictor plate into the turbo.

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-best-racing-cheat-of-all-time-worked-1792828060

Basically, when removed it looked legal. Once it was installed, it bypassed itself. Take it off again, it would look normal and legal again.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 31, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

also lol isn't musk a huge "come back to the office" dipshit? can't fire them if they all quit on 11/2

Most want to hold on a bit after that to make sure their stock options / cash equivalents pay out, apparently November's a big month for that.

I think what's going on is that Elon only knows *his* experience on twitter, which is hyper-warped. He's also an idiot. So, not only did he horrifically overpay, but he's staring at the need to make Twitter turn a $1B/year profit at minimum to satisfy the debt servicing payments he needs to make. Otherwise, he's selling Tesla and SpaceX stock to cover for it.

BLUECHECKS WILL PAY, THEY MONETIZE THEIR CLOUT ALREADY is going to pretty much turn into an "lol I gave Elon money, dunk on me" button as @RealD0naldTrump gives you even more interesting thoughts than usual on Jews and Black People as companies' sales teams are like "nooooooope"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Toyota looked at how they could get more power out of their engine. Since all turbos were restricted to a 50mm inlet, they went away and designed a fan-loving-tastic bit of kit, which used the turbo's own pressure to open the restrictor plate and allow extra air into the inlet. Come off the boost, it pops shut again, and is completely invisible.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wqm9665/

quote:

Max Mosley, the president of the FIA at the time said this: “Inside it was beautifully made. The springs inside the hose had been polished and machined so not to impede the air which passed through. To force the springs open without the special tool would require substantial force. It is the most sophisticated and ingenious device either I or the FIA’s technical experts have seen for a long-time. It was so well made that there was no gap apparent to suggest there was any means of opening it.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1586864856694677506?t=e-KSH4oQesZqk5oRGcpRsQ&s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saw this one from May in the comments that caught my eye.

https://twitter.com/gerrund_ing/status/1586880165463957504?s=46&t=h63YlLAbQ4Fm2_G-C5sE4w

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What's the anti-American narrative about the US "installing" Bolsonaro mentioned by the Grayzone scumbag? Bolsonaro's absolutely fascist scum, but I've never seen that allegation made. Safe to assume that it's just typical braindead tankie inability to see other countries making bad decisions without assuming a nefarious American plot?

Though I'm pretty poorly informed about where Lula's at now, judging by his last term in office, I don't think there's any comparison to be made between him and the authoritarian likes of Maduro or Ortega.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
CIA tries not to interfere with South American election challenge!!!!! (surprisingly easy???//)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Spoggerific posted:

CIA tries not to interfere with South American election challenge!!!!! (surprisingly easy???//)

Would the CIA telling Bolsonaro to not coup be interfering? I mean supposedly they did tell him to not try anything funny, so it could still be interfering.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's the anti-American narrative about the US "installing" Bolsonaro mentioned by the Grayzone scumbag? Bolsonaro's absolutely fascist scum, but I've never seen that allegation made. Safe to assume that it's just typical braindead tankie inability to see other countries making bad decisions without assuming a nefarious American plot?

Though I'm pretty poorly informed about where Lula's at now, judging by his last term in office, I don't think there's any comparison to be made between him and the authoritarian likes of Maduro or Ortega.

The US ha some involvement in the Brazilian anti-corruption operations which convicted Lula. That's the extent of the reality part of it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah I was pulling random tweets from a search because my usual sources were hours old and I didn't keep them. Oops!

Anyways, the most Murican thing I've ever seen just happened. Apparently a NASCAR driver needed to pass a bunch of people in the final lap to qualify for the championship, which was not possible under race conditions. So he just decided to start videogame racing - floor it and let the wall steer you.

https://twitter.com/KensethFan17_20/status/1586835940105920512

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1586837853924773890

https://twitter.com/PRNlive/status/1586835854131093504

For context, this is the most recent result of NASCAR having a stupid championship system over the last 18 years and drivers finding ways to exploit it, much to NASCAR chagrin.

Matt Kenseth took the points lead after race 3 of a 36 race season in 2003 and never gave it up, at which point nascar decided to add DRAAAAAAAAMA by introducing a 10 race Chase for the championship to try and make the run to the finish more compelling. They caught lightning in a bottle in 2004, but it was largely mediocre and largely Jimmie Johnson-cheesed over the next few years with a couple minor tweaks.

Johnson had the decency to take 2 years off winning championships before grabbing number 6 in 8 seasons, causing them to take the concept of the Raceoff from the movie Cars and turn it into a real life thing, turning NASCAR into MXC (Don't! Get! Eliminated!), where the bottom 4 are dropped after each 3rd race, setting up a one race, 4 driver, highest finisher take all way of deciding things.

This system occasionally causes ridiculousness like you saw yesterday. Some of it is awesome, as yesterday was, while other times it's "Kevin Harvick wrecks the entire field because his car is down a cylinder and, if he loses too many spots on this restart, he's out".

Tl;dr- Championship system no one likes devised by a president with a drug problem hellbent on beating the NFL no one liked caused Ross Chastain to LEEROY JENKINS his way to the final four.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What do you mean wrecking the entire field? Because sometimes I like to go backwards in racing games and it's a lot of fun

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Milo and POTUS posted:

What do you mean wrecking the entire field? Because sometimes I like to go backwards in racing games and it's a lot of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxq52ixajqI

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

orange juche posted:

Would the CIA telling Bolsonaro to not coup be interfering? I mean supposedly they did tell him to not try anything funny, so it could still be interfering.

In 53 the CIA told the Shah to use his constitutional authority to remove Mossadegh and we usually call that a coup, so by that standard this is a coup on behalf of Lula

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats on breaking Twitter in record time!

quote:

Trending in United States
#Pelosigaylover
Trending with #PelosiGate, #PelosiSmollett

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I looked up some tankie nonsense from the last election and it was the good ol' "We cannot tolerate the slightest US influence in South American politics and... hey, wait, Bolsonaro just got elected and Obama did nothing! This is absolutely unacceptable. We demand American intervention when demanding such fits the line we're trying to sell. HOW COULD AMERIKKKA DO THIS??"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

I looked up some tankie nonsense from the last election and it was the good ol' "We cannot tolerate the slightest US influence in South American politics and... hey, wait, Bolsonaro just got elected and Obama did nothing! This is absolutely unacceptable. We demand American intervention when demanding such fits the line we're trying to sell. HOW COULD AMERIKKKA DO THIS??"

Reminds me of some fringe Canadians begging for the Queen to do something...because of Stephen Harper winning. lol

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

God I hope Musk (inadvertently) kills Twitter quickly so you all can stop being scared of the 20 tankies on Twitter and the 4 hiding under your beds at night.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

:goofy:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BadOptics posted:

God I hope Musk (inadvertently) kills Twitter quickly so you all can stop being scared of the 20 tankies on Twitter and the 4 hiding under your beds at night.

Why would anyone be afraid of completely irrelevant shut-ins who haven't affected the real world since the 90s?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why would anyone be afraid of completely irrelevant shut-ins who haven't affected the real world since the 90s?

I don't know, but people (here) can't stop talking about them like they aren't or worrying that Lula is some secret Cuban/Venezuela plant. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Edit: Maybe it's because after ditching my own Twitter account this past spring and seeing how much of what's discussed on that platform is in no way close to what your "average" person is thinking/talking about it's just weird. Like if you said "What is your opinion on tankies?" you'd be hard pressed to find a person that might have an idea wtf you're talking about.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 31, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh Musk you stupid bastard.

https://twitter.com/botvolution/status/1586683784132435972?s=20&t=lts7EnadRjjRKo5zdIUKng

:hai:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Because they're annoying and annoying affects me more personally than global geopolitics!

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/31/1131789230/supreme-court-affirmative-action-harvard-unc

quote:

For Blum, race-conscious policies are not a new question. Even as he brought a decades-long challenge to affirmative action in college admissions, he engineered a successful challenge to a key provision of the landmark 1965 Voting Rights Act. By a 5-to-4 vote the Supreme Court struck down the section of the law that had required areas with a history of race discrimination at the polls to pre-clear with the Justice Department any changes in voting procedures.

Asked what is next on his agenda, Blum is coy, declaring, "I don't have anything planned. I'm 70 years old...I'm getting near the end of my tether."

But last year he formed a new organization, which has already filed two lawsuits to challenge diversity goals on corporate boards.

This will be "fun".

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yeah bad sign those garbage folk got the message loud & clear that the door is wide open. Wonder if a collapse will be precipitated by a local ban in Germany or France that have more serious hate speech laws, or advertisers fleeing, or musk doing something unexpectedly foolish that wrecks the site. Probably a little of each.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah bad sign those garbage folk got the message loud & clear that the door is wide open. Wonder if a collapse will be precipitated by a local ban in Germany or France that have more serious hate speech laws, or advertisers fleeing, or musk doing something unexpectedly foolish that wrecks the site. Probably a little of each.

IIRC Twitter already supports (well supported....) filters/bans for content with certain nations (mainly Germany). I think, like everything else, is the once the advertising money dries up that'll be the real death sentence. Well that or 50% chance Elon does something dumb like you mention lol

Edit: lmfao joke nation

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/deeply-unhappy-tory-mps-drafting-letters-of-no-confidence-after-sunak-s-cabinet-purge/ar-AA13yoQz

quote:

In a speech outside 10 Downing Street, Mr Sunak paid tribute to Ms Truss, who only lasted 44 days in the top job as she paid the price for her disastrous economic policies that plunged financial markets into chaos.

He defended her for trying to "improve growth in this country" and said he "admired her restlessness to create change".

So committed that she even changed the PM.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 31, 2022

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Please let this go down in history as the Year of Four Prime Ministers.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

because you coulda said something very similar about white supremacists ten years ago

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

hypnophant posted:

because you coulda said something very similar about white supremacists ten years ago

Not sure how in 2012, in the midst of Obama's administration, anyone would have said this. Hell, let's look to what we were talking about around this time 10years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...a6d89_blog.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BadOptics posted:

Not sure how in 2012, in the midst of Obama's administration, anyone would have said this. Hell, let's look to what we were talking about around this time 10years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...a6d89_blog.html

poo poo. twenty years ago :corsair:

e: actually no, that’s a pretty good analogy. the daily stormer was launched in 2012 (source: https://www.vocativ.com/usa/race/man-bringing-back-nazi-movement-america/index.html) and it was treated as an irrelevant fringe corner of the internet until at least the charlottesville rally.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 31, 2022