Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I only use distilled water. I live in a part of the world where there's a non-zero chance of encountering N. Fowleri in the tap water. I'm not trying to get bodied by an untreatable brain-eating amoeba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

JFC just use sterile saline lmao it's like :10bux: at Costco for a 3 pack. Don't get weird sinus infections from incorrect sterilization techniques.

Source: peritonsilar abscess from inhaled substances.

Distilled water is fine, but the premixed saline is like thirty dollars per gallon and probably not any safer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I only use distilled water. I live in a part of the world where there's a non-zero chance of encountering N. Fowleri in the tap water. I'm not trying to get bodied by an untreatable brain-eating amoeba.

Note that that’s not the only risk, it’s just the only one that will kill you instead of making you miserable for a while

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fun Fact- exposure to over pressure will damage the sinuses and can cause sleep apnea.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Fun Fact- exposure to over pressure will damage the sinuses and can cause sleep apnea.

I use gravity feed only.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

A.o.D. posted:

I use gravity feed only.

I think he is referencing explosions or regular exposure to artillery, mortars, or rockets being fired.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Big Gretch at it again:

https://twitter.com/gretchenwhitmer/status/1674526847927832577?s=20

https://twitter.com/MLive/status/1674043983754932224?s=20

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
It feels weird when good things happen. Anyone else feel like that?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kesper North posted:

fun fact: the family that owns the bellevue mall had a pretty prominent role in getting them interned and stealing their land. some people still remember when it happened! so yeah. good reasons

Bellevue as a whole just loving exudes the psychic energy of the type of white people that will happily steal land from ethnic minorities so that they can be rich and have a fancy mall, and has for the 20+ years I can remember.

My dad used to tell a joke, "what's a Bellevue Lady's favorite position? Facing Nordstrom!" And as crude as that is, it's accurate. gently caress that shithole.

Elendil004 posted:

Look if I don't go to the doctors they can't tell me I have any problems.

From my military experience, even if you tell doctors that you're having health problems, they'll say "don't tell me that! It's submarine disqualifying!" And then change the subject.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Bellevue as a whole just loving exudes the psychic energy of the type of white people that will happily steal land from ethnic minorities so that they can be rich and have a fancy mall, and has for the 20+ years I can remember.

My dad used to tell a joke, "what's a Bellevue Lady's favorite position? Facing Nordstrom!" And as crude as that is, it's accurate. gently caress that shithole.

As a filthy :canada: Bellevue is a place you accidentally end up in, not where you're going.

You go to Bellevue if you gently caress up your exit off the I-5 when you want to go into town or if you gently caress up your exit off the I-5 when you want to go interview at a company in Redmond. You never go to Bellevue intentionally. It's always by accident.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

armpit_enjoyer posted:

you're not alone

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, like the lunches for school kids will be made out of asylum seekers who didn’t qualify or something.

The past several years have largely conditioned a lot of people, myself very much included, to see Good Things as temporary developments that will either be undone by the next cruel administration or mooted by the impending climate crisis. Accepting the best while expecting the worst may be a defense mechanism, but it’s probably not very healthy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saline is 0.9% salt by weight vs water. You can add that together and boil for tap or distilled water generally. This is for a neti not a cpap.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
At some point in the last day, Twitter has apparently switched to being entirely unusable without an account. Previously you could still browse the site without an account, just with a lot of annoying popups nagging you to log in.

Embeds on SA and elsewhere still seem to work, but since I don't have a Twitter account anymore, I guess a lot of threads are going to be much more annoying to read now.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

armpit_enjoyer posted:

a lot tbqh

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kazinsal posted:

As a filthy :canada: Bellevue is a place you accidentally end up in, not where you're going.

You go to Bellevue if you gently caress up your exit off the I-5 when you want to go into town or if you gently caress up your exit off the I-5 when you want to go interview at a company in Redmond. You never go to Bellevue intentionally. It's always by accident.
405. There's an entire lake between the east side and I-5, unless this is about taking I-90 vs 520.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Looks like Musk turned off (deliberately or accidentally) the ability to go to specific twitter posts or user feeds without logging in lol. At least they still seem to embed for the moment but clicking on them takes you to a twitter login screen.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Considering that I turn 35 tomorrow and that I just (finally) made an appointment for a sleep study this week, this feels kinda personal.

Yesterday a college intern asked how old I was and I’m not sure which felt worse: realizing I’m 35 or not knowing immediately and having had to count my age on my fingers like I was a toddler.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Looks like Musk turned off (deliberately or accidentally) the ability to go to specific twitter posts or user feeds without logging in lol. At least they still seem to embed for the moment but clicking on them takes you to a twitter login screen.

He probably thinks the idea of thousands of online articles with embedded tweets no longer working (unless you’re currently logged in to Twitter) is pretty funny.

He probably also thinks it’s going to get more people to sign up and maybe even subscribe to :eightbux: but I think he is wrong.

What few advertisers are left on there will now be getting even less views than they were, which hopefully will cause even more of them to pull out.

They also made some kind of API change so that even the people paying $42,000 per month for that aren’t getting what they paid for, which might cause lawsuits? As well as people deciding to stop paying that insane fee.

I don’t believe he genuinely wants to run the site into the ground, but if he did, he couldn’t do much more harm to it than he has.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cyks posted:

Yesterday a college intern asked how old I was and I’m not sure which felt worse: realizing I’m 35 or not knowing immediately and having had to count my age on my fingers like I was a toddler.

Welcome to being old lol, I've been there.

People assume I'm younger than I am though, they think I'm like mid 20s or some poo poo, but that's not going to work much longer because I'm getting grey in my beard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Spoggerific posted:

At some point in the last day, Twitter has apparently switched to being entirely unusable without an account. Previously you could still browse the site without an account, just with a lot of annoying popups nagging you to log in.

Embeds on SA and elsewhere still seem to work, but since I don't have a Twitter account anymore, I guess a lot of threads are going to be much more annoying to read now.

Eh or people will stop using twitter as much (I wish). Literally this thread and maybe one other SA news thread are the only time I actually click on a twitter link anymore.

e: it's always "oh here is this one funny or useful thing, but if you click on it you have a slightly better than 50/50 chance of seeing a video of someone burning pride flags with everyone cheering in the comments.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I just started a new job and at the HR orientation day people kept getting confused thinking I was one of the collage age interns when I'm in my thirties. I'm kind of looking forward to my gray hair coming in, being treated as a baby in the workplace for over a decade is extremely annoying.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Space Opera posted:

I just started a new job and at the HR orientation day people kept getting confused thinking I was one of the collage age interns when I'm in my thirties. I'm kind of looking forward to my gray hair coming in, being treated as a baby in the workplace for over a decade is extremely annoying.

Oh sweetie...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Kazinsal posted:

I did used to go to their mall a bit as it has an excellent movie theater & there were good restaurants, and they do have the best King County library, but yeah it’s a creepy rich town. They have an annual holiday Snowflake Lane parade & it’s odd to see police APCs parked next to the route in alleys surrounded by guys with rifles, just in case anyone makes a run at Santa.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Space Opera posted:

Quoting this post so we can revisit it someday when you eventually realize people have stopped carding you when you buy booze.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I remember feeling old when the "you must be born after this date" sign behind the cashier changed to 2000

That of course was in 2021, which was approximately four score and umpteen years ago by my reckoning

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
As the final supreme court decisions of the term are coming out, let's check on The Future Of The Democratic Party

https://twitter.com/JCColtin/status/1674777951475494913?t=nEwLAQQWPrGHrB2mNuNT2A&s=19

Sometimes "politician x is a real loving idiot" is just venting and other times it's really true. What a loving idiot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Recap of decisions today:

Religious bigot website designer wins on 6-3. Lot of goofy poo poo involved (she made up a fake gay marriage creation request) but Gorsuch et al simply said "welp, that's speech" and it's going to be fun the flood of bigotry coming out of that one.

And the Supreme Court tossed Biden's student loan relief plan. One case was tossed for no standing, then they invented standing for Missouri/MOHELA and that was that.

Law is what five fuckers says it is and right now they have six of them.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Day 2 of SCOTUS facepalms. Biden studebt relief debt dead.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Quoting this post so we can revisit it someday when you eventually realize people have stopped carding you when you buy booze.

Weirdly I don't get carded often? I live in the rural south tho so it might just be lax enforcement. My last boss admitted to me she thought I was 26 when I left that company, even though (due to how our group had been set up) it was very obvious I had been with them for 10 years. So I guess she thought i started when I was 16?? I was likely passed over for raises/promotions because of that BS. No way to prove it at this point, just hearsay from folks that told me as I was walking out the door.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

facialimpediment posted:

And the Supreme Court tossed Biden's student loan relief plan. One case was tossed for no standing, then they invented standing for Missouri/MOHELA and that was that.

So their argument is that because a student loan processor might miss out on some service fees, Biden doesn't have the authority to modify student loans? Great legal system we've got going here, definitely keeping the people's interests at the top of the list.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

As the final supreme court decisions of the term are coming out, let's check on The Future Of The Democratic Party

https://twitter.com/JCColtin/status/1674777951475494913?t=nEwLAQQWPrGHrB2mNuNT2A&s=19

Sometimes "politician x is a real loving idiot" is just venting and other times it's really true. What a loving idiot.

he's really trying for a lifetime achievement award

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So their argument is that because a student loan processor might miss out on some service fees, Biden doesn't have the authority to modify student loans? Great legal system we've got going here, definitely keeping the people's interests at the top of the list.

I've quit trying to follow the arguments or even go "the opinion says x, but the result is going to be y, with true result z". It's all backwards reasoning.

The six conservatives wanted to kill it, so they did. The reasoning to do so, like creating standing with no injuries, is completely irrelevant. They're doing it because they can.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Stop being a passive aggressive little baby and actually talk poo poo out with TheWeedNumber.

This red text poo poo is cowardly. You got beef? Come out with it.

gently caress, you assholes aren't children so don't act like it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's doing exactly what it was designed to do: protect the interests of wealthy planters businessmen.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

I've quit trying to follow the arguments or even go "the opinion says x, but the result is going to be y, with true result z". It's all backwards reasoning.

The six conservatives wanted to kill it, so they did. The reasoning to do so, like creating standing with no injuries, is completely irrelevant. They're doing it because they can.

A pretty solid take and good approach to the unelected law wizards for life that make poo poo up. They've been dropping the mask for a while. It's tedious trying to follow their pretzel logic bullshit. Much faster to just say the truth; they don't give a gently caress about the how, they want the result.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

A pretty solid take and good approach to the unelected law wizards for life that make poo poo up. They've been dropping the mask for a while. It's tedious trying to follow their pretzel logic bullshit. Much faster to just say the truth; they don't give a gently caress about the how, they want the result.

I'm generally getting better about this stuff, because about 25% of my brain engages the logic to figure out What It All Means, then the proper 75% takes over. So when I see this:

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/1674791319275962369?t=YIsq1IwzoUmwwiiXbfgdMg&s=19

"Well ok this reasoning may make sense for overstepping determ- HEY WAIT, NO, gently caress YOU JOHN"

Both of these cases were conservatives doing their favorite trick lately - making up someone to get mad at. A website maker *hypothetically* asking to make a website that they didn't like. The Missouri AG filing a lawsuit because he *thinks* MOHELA would hate it (they didn't).

Anyways, next step may be Biden loving with loan repayment rates, as those are likely fair game.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ignore the court.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Don't worry guys and gals, most of those student loans won't be paid back anyway lol

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/much...-135856670.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ignore the court.

One thing that Donnie and his merry band of fuckos would do a lot is run a Five Whys routine on "I want to break federal law, why can't I?". And most times they'd gently caress around because there were minimal penalties for finding out, or they just didn't give a gently caress.

I'm not necessarily saying Biden should do that, as his route to reelection probably includes being "boring" and "normal". But they should look at every single loving thing they should do to give the court the middle finger. Set the interest rates at 0%, make tons of indefinite-postponement options for borrowers, etc.

Because slippery slope arguments are absolutely in play with this current court. They do not give a gently caress about standing, precedent, or "case or controversy" doctrines. Six fucks deciding what goes when they only need five.