Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

On man, I missed these Megaman hack LPs. Great to see another one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Hey this looks super nice and competently done. Wouldn't have ever thought someone touches MM7.

But to quote your co commentator, where is my horseshit?

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Yessss I'm glad to see EP get tackled, this hack is wild. I've seen an LP of it before, but it trivialized a lot of the game with one of the weapons, so it's nice to see a more... authentic, I guess? look at it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo Simply Simon was dragged out from the distant secretive arctic cottage in Germany somewhere for one last score?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 21: K. Rool Duel :siren:

DKC2 K. Rool is a boss that I am both A) very bad at and B) not very fond of to begin with. Unveiled is a hack that has done nothing but make the bosses significantly worse, and gave us a 50-up at the end of the final level. You do the math.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It is kind of impressive how this hack can build good faith with very creative levels, and then make an already not good boss suddenly also garbage BS hard.

All in all the hack is definitely a lot better than I was expecting what with having a lot of very difficult but very satisfying levels, even if sometimes that second part could drop away into just the game trying way too hard to be, well, too hard. I would echo FP's hopes that we can someday get a hack with similar creativity that is not trying to be "for experts only."

Hope y'all can find a way to cover the Lost World stuff because I am definitely curious how this hack would handle stuff like challenge levels, but if it really does take just flat out going back and doing every bonus then I would get why it would be a no.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Black Mage Knight posted:

Hope y'all can find a way to cover the Lost World stuff because I am definitely curious how this hack would handle stuff like challenge levels, but if it really does take just flat out going back and doing every bonus then I would get why it would be a no.

They do have enough coins to do what they did for Lost Levels and just abuse savestates to see the Lost World levels. That's very much on them if they want to do it, but it's basically the best of all worlds in that you don't have to muck around with poorly documented savefile editing, you don't have to go back and do the bonuses, and perhaps best of all, you don't have to go the second round with an undoubtedly truly awful DKC2 K. Rool remaster.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Maybe we weren't clear earlier, going to Klubba literally does not work. He kicks you out with no options and the only thing that gets you in (we think) is clearing all the actual bonus rooms because 99 Kremkoins doesn't do it.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Fair enough. Yeah, gently caress that noise.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
mildly concerned even the vooid speedrun doesn't touch the lost world

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is it possible that the Lost World simply wasn't modified as part of the hack? Maybe the hacker just changed Klubba to kick you out because they didn't want to make the extra levels, or there was an issue with the editor, or something.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is it possible that the Lost World simply wasn't modified as part of the hack? Maybe the hacker just changed Klubba to kick you out because they didn't want to make the extra levels, or there was an issue with the editor, or something.

it was modified. the first level has barrels that swap your left-right controls for a pre-determined period of time

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
so, uh, the insanely precise platforming you've expected from this game, and also that.

i supposed you could bullshit up game genie codes to straight drop you in the levels, but, nah gently caress that

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Craig K posted:

mildly concerned even the vooid speedrun doesn't touch the lost world

V0oid's speedrun at GDQ was done on an older version of the hack that hadn't yet finished the Lost World. The version we're playing came out after that, and includes a finished Lost World.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
In this episode of Rockman 7 EP, we engage in some Animal Antics.

Rockman 7 EP #2: Squawks' Trap!?
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Simply Simon, and NGDBSS)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So because I was morbidly curious, and some others might be too...

DKC2 Unveiled patch can be found here:

http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2430
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0ljibmymthwqw9l/DKC2_Unveiled_EN.zip/file

Since the readme isn't entirely clear: This needs to be applied to a headerless revision 0 ROM, SHA1 of 3ec2035962918b5523d8b4745406f46f2a739b8d.

A vanilla complete save file works just fine for accessing the Lost World, so grab https://www.zophar.net/savestates/snes/donkey-kong-country-2.html and go.

It's certainly a thing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 22: The Lost World loving Sucks :siren:

You're all loving welcome, now never ask me for anything again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was pushing for us to do it. I was enthusiastic about the idea! We even had plans to try and tag-team the levels, but like... this is too much. It's the hardest content already locked behind full completion of every single other hard level, and it shows. So, with that, thanks for watching DKC Unveiled I suppose!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
How is this fun for anyone

even the romhacker had to know very few people would see it, and no one would bother when it’s this bad

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 26, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

"It can't possibly be any worse"
"Is this a loving normal level? Did we finally find-"

Words spoken before disaster

While there's definitely a design space to be explored in "the run button doesn't work", it's so obviously going to be kind of miserable even if the level design is perfect. Some gimmicks are just better left unused.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
In trying to figure out how to make things get even harder the romhacker went in the worst direction of terrible gimmicks and just breaking the games rules. It is really unfortunate to see just things devolve into pure unfun bullshit in the name of being difficult after the rest of the game could at times show some really good kaizo design. Just jesus these levels look like pure trash. Just all of the lost world seems to be levels that are actively going against what the game does well and are trying instead to be difficult by making you do things the game is bad at.

Thank you for showing off as much as you did of the Lost World. A shame the game had to end this way but at least it is over.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 27, 2021

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
We thank you for suffering through that for our amusement, Artix.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

AmiYumi posted:

How is this fun for anyone

the same question i wonder looking at kaizo hacks to be honest. like i get the whole "endorphin rush when you finally loving finish it" part, but still, jesus christ this level lmao

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
For the record, Forge Gorge is probably (?) okay considering it seemed to just be a platforming level with the K. Rool cannonballs as your primary obstacle. Crimson Cavern might have also been okay if I wasn't in the entirely wrong headspace to be trying new Kaizo levels, like FP said it had a clear goal and was designed around you moving fairly quickly, the ice physics just didn't play nice at the time. But seriously though, Paradox Paradise. Why?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crimson Cavern genuinely looked like it could've been fun but I don't blame you for being angry at the time and not wanting to give it more chances. The rest looked awful, and honestly, out of place considering most stuff in this hack was bullshit but it seemed like the kind of bullshit that could be fun for the right person. This just went overboard.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kongpendium looked like a puzzle level where the puzzle was figuring out how to work your way around a mix of regular and invincible enemies, and at least to its credit you could easily tell which enemies were just going to hurt you. So maybe it's okay?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

drat, that was bad. Two playable levels, one hampered one, and two really bad ideas; what a way to go out. Thanks for suffering for us anyway, that's the sort of thing you have to see to believe. I could see one, ONE use of reversed controls for a section that isn't miserable and even if you could make a whole level out of it, it sure wouldn't be Paradox Panic.

it'd be a vertical jumping section with the reversing barrels on either side of the climb so you only have to jump and go right, salt with enemies to taste

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Wow, that's total poo poo. Those levels are either lovely precise platforming, terrible control gimmicks, and/or rife with janky hitboxes.
Kind of feels like the hacker ran out of steam.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I saw a run of Kongpendium. I think that was maybe 10% of the level you got through? You go through every single biome in that one level, and it is all that level of tedious Kaizo bullshit.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know what the best gimmick you can give to Cloud Man is?

Darkness.

Rockman 7 EP #3: Metal Stars

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Live to play a newish release of Rumble Chaos Crashdown (Final Fantasy Tactics randomizer)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Rumble Chaos Crashdown has been remade. It is now Rumble Chaos: The Crashdown. Since I lost patience for the grind the old randomizer pretty much forces on all seeds but especially the one I rolled for this thread, it’s time to check things out from the beginning.

”README.txt” posted:

WINDOWS:
Run the executable file, `fftrctcr.exe`. If you are on an older version of Windows, you might need to update to run the executable. Follow the instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

If that doesn't work, you can also install Python 3 from https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/ and follow the instructions below.

LINUX, MAC, AND OTHER:
Download the source zip and run `randomizer.py` using Python 3. This is different from before! Python 2 won't work anymore.

--- OPTIONS ---

FLAGS:
The randomizer has the following flags:
a Randomize abilities.
c Randomize battle music.
f Randomize enemy and ally formations.
i Randomize job innates.
j Randomize job stats.
p Randomize shop item availability.
m Randomize custom maps.
r Randomize job requirements.
s Randomize job skillsets.
t Randomize trophies, poaches, move-find items.
u Randomize enemy and ally units.
w Randomize weapon and item stats.
y Randomize ability/weapon status effects and procs.

Not all flag combinations have been tested yet; if you want a specific flag combination and it doesn't work, let me know.

CODES:
Secret codes are entered along with flags. The following codes are available:
bigtide Include *all* battle events in the map randomization pool. Highly experimental.
novanilla Attempt to replace 100% of all maps in the pool, instead of only some portion.
easymodo Nerf all enemies to the minimum possible stat values.

RANDOMNESS:
The randomizer will prompt you to enter a "randomness" value. This is a value between 0 and 1, and the default recommended value is 0.5. Increasing this value increases the variance in the different decisions that the randomizer makes. For example, with a value of 1.0 you could obtain a Chaos Blade as a drop from the first encounter, but the enemy levels might be anywhere from 1 to 99. You can choose different values for different categories by typing "custom" instead of a number.

DIFFICULTY:
This is a multiplier that mainly affects enemy (and especially boss) stats. It can be anything from 0 to infinity, but the default recommended value is 1. If you're familiar with the Chaos value from FFT RCC, the scale is a little bit different. 1.0 difficulty in RCTCR is easier than 1.0 chaos in RCC - it's very close to vanilla FFT's difficulty level. 1.5 difficulty is approximately equal to 1.5 chaos in RCC (or at least, that is the intent).

MAPS:
The `m` flag enables custom maps. However, these maps are stored externally in the `custom/maps` directory. You can add or remove maps to the randomization pool by moving the files to and from this directory. Map editing is a growing part of the FFT modding community and new tools are being developed even now. I encourage you to visit https://www.twitch.tv/armoredkori and watch his map editing streams; he provided the alternate map pack for this release of the randomizer, so be sure to show your support.

PATCHES:
There are two kinds of patches, built-ins and XML patches. The randomizer will prompt you to select built-in patches; it is recommended to accept them all. XML patches are selected by editing the `patches.cfg` file in the `custom/xml_patches` directory. The patches that are enabled by default in `patches.cfg` are also recommended.

--- WHY IS IT DIFFERENT? ---

I'd always been planning to rewrite FFT RCC while porting it to Python 3. I thought that I could make it cleaner, more maintainable. For the most part, I failed. The original RCC is 5,374 lines of code. As of this writing, RCTCR is 5,320, and counting. Whoops! But the happy consequence of this rewrite is that I've refreshed on my memory on a lot of aspects of the randomizer, and I've laid the groundwork for more features in the future. The unhappy consequence is that a lot of things are probably borken[sic], and a lot of old errors might have resurfaced, and it will take some time to stabilize again. Please bear with me. In my esteemed opinion, the changes are worth it.

Something I didn't realize because I went in 100% blind is that when the new randomizer isn't joking around when it gets chaotic. The pregenerated units the game hands you can have ridiculous levels and JP, but everything can also cost a million and a half JP points. Furthermore,

”abyssonym” posted:

The enemies on the first few maps have fixed levels, to prevent softlocks...after Sweegy [Woods] they should be randomized the same level range as your units

Given one of the units I got on my first test seed was a Level 75 Rofel (complete with learnable Mighty Sword skills) but Ramza started off at level one with nothing unlocked, this means I am in for a bad time at Windmill Shed. There are some things in this randomizer that I find really neat and would like to show off, but given how little patience I have for grinding I don't know if this is the seed I'll be doing the after action report on.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
In this update: Puresabe's continual attempts to shove Darius into a platformer engine.

Rockman 7 EP #4: The Enigma of Bubbleman

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Heavy Sigh posted:

In this update: Puresabe's continual attempts to shove Darius into a platformer engine.

A worthy endeavor.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
In today's episode, we see that Fire, while fast, just isn't as deadly as being Quick.

Rockman 7 EP #5: Challenger From The Asphalt
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Simply Simon, NGDBSS)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I gotta be honest, that level looked completely miserable.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of the stages so far seem to overstay their welcome. Some good gimmick ideas here and there but a lot of stuff to wade through to get through to it.

Still, the fact that the maker decided to make the design decisions to neuter the quick laser section shows that they should have known to completely gut it and made a better product in the end.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Rumble Chaos: The Crashdown, Update 1

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Once again live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
WARNING: this stage contains NEW GRAPHICS

Rockman 7 EP #6: The Greatest Battle in History!!
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Simply Simon, NGDBSS)