Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

Dammit, I could have sworn I had a Helimot caveat in there but it must have gotten nuked during formatting. I blame my brain. Anyway, yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about Helimot. All else being equal, I'd say part of it depends on your stance on hard sliders vs padding. Similar to the A/S finger bridge (which is always a fun discussion). Sadly I've never had a chance to wear them, but I'd really like to give them a shot at some point.

Yup - I'm all in on padding over hard sliders, but that's just me. Also being able to get your gloves custom fit is key - I've apparently got XL palms and medium fingers, which is a fun combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've managed to wear out the soles on my Alpinestars Gore-Tex SMX-5s and while I'm tossing up whether it's worth getting them resoled (or maybe I'll get lucky and they'll do a warranty repair) I still need a second set of boots to use while they're being shipped off.

I've been looking at a pair of 2015 Alpinestars Tech 7s cause a local store has them on sale for $420AU in green and I found that alpinestars/dianese fit my feet much better than other brands, plus they'd match the bike and colour coordinating my outfit is very important. I also assume that MX style boots would hold up better when standing in water (as long as it doesn't crest the top of the boot) for when I put a foot down during a creek crossing. I've found the SMX-5s hold out great in the rain but seem to have a vent near the toe that lets water in when I partially submerge the boot. The Tech 7s also have replaceable soles which would be great for when I inevitably chew them up. I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger though because I imagine I wouldn't really want to use them for commuting if it turns out to be uneconomical to resole the SMX-5s and they're still pretty pricey, I'm not sure if it'd be better value to get a cheaper boot instead given they probably won't be my primary.

I suppose the question is does anyone have suggestions on boots for moderate off-road use (most of my riding is solo so I try to avoid the truly stupid stuff) that wouldn't be awful to commute in, or should I just go ahead and get a dedicated set of commuting boots as well if I need to replace the SMX-5s?

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
So now I have the gear, but have a question about the stowage.

I live in a warm climate and ride a grom. I'm stoked to start riding around everywhere, all the time, but what do you all do with pants/boots/helmet/etc? I don't mind walking around in a store with it all for a short time, but longer errands? Example. I'm going to the Dr later. I'll die of heat if I keep it all on, even inside. And smx boots look silly with short shorts.

Really, I guess this is recommend me a bag that'll fit all this, sans helmet. The one backpack I have holds my boots and that's about it.

Or suck it up and traipse around in full gear and soak in the stares.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Horn of Arby's posted:

Or suck it up and traipse around in full gear and soak in the stares.

This is why you Never Stop Riding. If you never get off the bike, you never have to take off the gear!

Gear bulk has always been my curse. I just wear protective riding shoes that also look and act like street attire, and deal with carrying my gear with me or walking into school looking like an action hero. I can't even store my helmet on the bike anymore. :(

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is this too small? Pants feel fine but the sleeves seem a bit short and it feels in the back if I lean over into a riding position.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
That looks extremely small and awkward-fitting. Kick up a size or two.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Partial Octopus posted:

Is this too small? Pants feel fine but the sleeves seem a bit short and it feels in the back if I lean over into a riding position.

It is too short

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Yeah I think I need a 50. I can't return it because cycle gear is poo poo. (employee purchase). I'm selling it for dirt cheap in the CA marketplace if anyone wants it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Partial Octopus posted:

Yeah I think I need a 50. I can't return it because cycle gear is poo poo. (employee purchase). I'm selling it for dirt cheap in the CA marketplace if anyone wants it.

You work there, did you not try it on before buying it?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If my experience with the sales tactics at cycle gear is any indication, he really didn't give himself time to think about the purchase before he urged himself into it.

I've bought so many impulse items at cycle gear that I actually needed based on those tactics that I can't even hate.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

You work there, did you not try it on before buying it?

:lol: you think cycle gear would carry a dainese track suit? They give us a 50% discount on dainese special orders but we're not allowed to return anything because we are supposed to be "gear experts". I wear a 48 jacket and it fits perfectly but I guess their suits run a bit small. I figured that even if it didn't fit I could sell it for a little under retail and make a profit.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Coydog posted:

If my experience with the sales tactics at cycle gear is any indication, he really didn't give himself time to think about the purchase before he urged himself into it.

I've bought so many impulse items at cycle gear that I actually needed based on those tactics that I can't even hate.

I was just trying to use my discount for something before I quit.

edit: If you guys have any advice where to sell it aside from SAmart please let me know. I posted it on ebay and a local track forum as well.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 10, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Partial Octopus posted:

we're not allowed to return anything because we are supposed to be "gear experts".

That's complete, infuriating, bullshit. Retail companies know no bounds when it comes to abusing their employees, and justify it because "the employees just quit all the time so they don't deserve better!". Glad you are moving on.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Partial Octopus posted:

:lol: you think cycle gear would carry a dainese track suit? They give us a 50% discount on dainese special orders but we're not allowed to return anything because we are supposed to be "gear experts". I wear a 48 jacket and it fits perfectly but I guess their suits run a bit small. I figured that even if it didn't fit I could sell it for a little under retail and make a profit.

Cycle Gear does not exist in my country so I have no idea how they operate. But yeah, sell the drat thing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Partial Octopus posted:

What store do you work at? I return and exchange poo poo all the time.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

What store do you work at? I return and exchange poo poo all the time.

I no longer work there. And I was specifically talking about IPD special orders.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Partial Octopus posted:

I no longer work there. And I was specifically talking about IPD special orders.

Ah, righto.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
The only time I got hosed at CG was when I ordered some piece of poo poo street fairing stay (the good Vortex ones didn't exist at the time) and the alignment was completely out of whack. Had to take a big hit to return it, whatever the percentage is. I did have some fun tricks for finding KILLER deals on really high-end gear though. I can't complain overall, but I was very meticulous about ordering stuff for the reason that you're talking about Partial Octopus.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Inu, do you know if women's dainese suits will fit an hourglass shape?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

-Inu- posted:

The only time I got hosed at CG was when I ordered some piece of poo poo street fairing stay (the good Vortex ones didn't exist at the time) and the alignment was completely out of whack. Had to take a big hit to return it, whatever the percentage is. I did have some fun tricks for finding KILLER deals on really high-end gear though. I can't complain overall, but I was very meticulous about ordering stuff for the reason that you're talking about Partial Octopus.

The company is loving terrible. They will let you exchange special order items for different colors of the same item but not different sizes. I really hope the deal with them and revzilla falls through.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Anthony is my go-to for learning how to pronounce Italian bike gear. Die-uh-nessie. Spee-dee.

I didn't know he was a co-founder. I can't blame him for bailing, considering the money that's being thrown around. I'm sure he knows how bad CG sucks, and is probably getting a ton of mail on the subject.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Seh-DEE-chee

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Apparently they're doing a weird merger where both will operate indecently under one holding company and allow for some kind of collaborations such as revzilla brick and mortar stores and better web experience for cycle gear. So all in all better than it could be, as long as Anthony keeps doing videos I'll be fine: http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-partnership

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Koruthaiolos posted:

operate indecently

:quagmire:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sometimes autocorrect tells it like it is.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Anthony's finally worn out his one shirt, now he's just going to go topless to show off his arms. (Thanks iPhone)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorson posted:

Anthony is my go-to for learning how to pronounce Italian bike gear. Die-uh-nessie.

He's wrong, though. He pronounces it "Dianese", the way half the idiots on the internet write it. It's "Dainese" and pronounced just like it's written. The sound is ai, not ia.

http://www.pronounceitright.com/pronunciation/dainese-5031

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Should I bother dropping the extra coin for legit waterproof jacket/pants, or just pick up a set of Frogg Toggs to stuff in the seat compartment? The difference between your standard textile J/P and Gore-Tex waterproof stuff is several hundred dollars, while a set of Frogg Toggs is like, $40. I've been borrowing the necessary gear that came with the borrowed bike, but now that I have my own bike, it's time to get my own gear as well.

I specifically looked for waterproof gloves/boots, since good control without a lot of fiddling is of rather high importance to me.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 11, 2016

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Should I bother dropping the extra coin for legit waterproof jacket/pants, or just pick up a set of Frogg Toggs to stuff in the seat compartment? The difference between your standard textile J/P and Gore-Tex waterproof stuff is several hundred dollars, while a set of Frogg Toggs is like, $40. I've been borrowing the necessary gear that came with the borrowed bike, but now that I have my own bike, it's time to get my own gear as well.

I specifically looked for waterproof gloves/boots, since good control without a lot of fiddling is of rather high importance to me.

Do you plan on frequently riding in the rain? I feel like frog toggs are great to have in your seat compartment just in case you get caught in the rain but if you you plan on riding in the rain regularly I would buy some actual rain gear.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Hello, I am an adult. Let me help you adult too. Buy frog togs. Save money while using frog togs. When you have enough money saved, move to Baja. Never buy rain gear.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

builds character posted:

Never buy rain gear.

Can't echo this enough. It just doesn't work. The armoured outer gets soaked and the waterproof inner sweats.

Also the inners are typically extremely bulky, much more so than a separate set of waterproof overs, and you can't just throw them on if the weather turns while you're out.

Gloves/boots are the only exception.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I like WP riding gear if I'm going to ride through thunderstorms and expect it to be dry on the other side. On the other hand if it's PNW style rain where it's just over-saturated air condensing out all day long and no hope for dryness, I put on the PVC balloon suit and then just soak my gear with sweat instead.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Aerostitch works well enough to stop minor to moderate rain for a short period of time. If it's heavy rain, you need waterproofs over it. But yeah all waterproof gear leaks eventually.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Can't echo this enough. It just doesn't work. The armoured outer gets soaked and the waterproof inner sweats.

Also the inners are typically extremely bulky, much more so than a separate set of waterproof overs, and you can't just throw them on if the weather turns while you're out.

Gloves/boots are the only exception.

Have you tried Gore Tex? I've never had this problem with GT. My favorite piece of gear (downhill ski gear, actually) is my North Face Gore Tex pants. I bought them in.....1993 I think, back when North Face wasn't making clothing for sorority girls. It doesn't matter how wet or cold it gets, they do not let any moisture through while maintaining their breathability, so you don't sweat. I wear them over my riding pants if I'm going out in the rain. I also have a camo rain suit that is Gore Tex, love it. Regular "waterproof" gear definitely does suck.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gorson posted:

Have you tried Gore Tex?

No, because I'm poor :v:

I did have a set of goretex gaiters way back when I used to cycle (because my waterproof trousers didn't come down far enough, and would have gotten mashed by the chain if they did). It's nice stuff, but iirc it's relatively bulky, and you can solve the sweating issue you get with the cheap plasticy hard shell waterproofs by just buying a size or two larger than usual.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Counterpoint: I have a jacket from a no-name brand with their b-tier of goretex knock-off that I've worn for over 6 years year round in a moderate maritime climate that's only now beginning to leak. A pant that I bought that was supposed to bead water off like it was made from teflon went leaky in half a year, but I believe that had to do with it being fashionably small.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Blow money on a klim set and merino wool 1st layer. Never get wet or cold again. They have enough ventilation zippers to be cool in the summer too. And use of proper merino wool keeps you varm and non-stinky even if you get a little sweaty. I think i got uuh, 4 different thickness of merino wool to choose from depending on temperature.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 12, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Blow money on a klim set and merino wool 1st layer. Never get wet or cold again. They have enough ventilation zippers to be cool in the summer too. And use of proper merino wool keeps you varm and non-stinky even if you get a little sweaty. I think i got uuh, 4 different thickness of merino wool to choose from depending on temperature.

icebreaker base layers. :allears:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

M42 posted:

Inu, do you know if women's dainese suits will fit an hourglass shape?
(Sorry for not replying to your PM, my brain's been fairly out of whack and has trouble remembering to do things like that). Dai suits in general are going to fit more along the lines of "stick figure". Given what you've told me, I'd try an A/S Motegi (Stella). Size 38 should do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Picked up a new jacket, Astars GP plus. I'm 6'2" 190 and a 46/54 fits perfect. :feelsgood:

Current temperature outside: -8F