Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Capitalists should build things for you imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Capitalists should build things for you imho

It would actually be really cool if estates built buildings for you using the money that you're losing from autonomy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

It would actually be really cool if estates built buildings for you using the money that you're losing from autonomy.

Even a discount would be nice.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't think that would be good since clergy already give you 100% of their taxes, so you'd be getting even cheaper temples for no drawback. Likewise nobility and manpower, burghers and trade.

People already complain that they have too much money by midgame.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So I picked this up in the steam sale with the goal of colonising the new world as Venice, but apparently the trade nodes don't flow back to me. Who do I need to gently caress up to maximise serene trade?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Theron posted:

So I picked this up in the steam sale with the goal of colonising the new world as Venice, but apparently the trade nodes don't flow back to me. Who do I need to gently caress up to maximise serene trade?

I think your best bet is to get the Genoa node. Genoa colonizing game might be fun too actually. Send your new world trade from Caribbean to Sevilla and then onwards to Genoa. It shouldn't be too hard to get the trade centres over there. Ally France, bully Aragon and Genoa.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Captain Theron posted:

Get Strong to gently caress up the mamluks and be Strong enough to hold onto Egypt against the loving Ottomans and then gently caress Up India and enjoy Unimaginable Wealth.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

the Spanish game from hell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

I don't think that would be good since clergy already give you 100% of their taxes, so you'd be getting even cheaper temples for no drawback. Likewise nobility and manpower, burghers and trade.

People already complain that they have too much money by midgame.

I was thinking more from a micromanagement standpoint, because trying to find the best place to put a building is pretty tedious when you have a decently large empire. Which is another reason why I usually don't bother with buildings.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's pretty easy if you're using the building panel, you just grab the type of building that you want (say a Temple) and then the game overlays all of the provinces with a little +gold/month number indicating how much revenue the temple will bring in. Place the building wherever that number is highest. If your empire is huge then just briefly check the area around your capital, but ideally you already built all of the ideally-situated buildings before your empire became huge

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Eh, building lots of stuff is one of my favorite way to relax right after a huge war, when my manpower / WE / infamy is recovering so I won't have much to do for a few years, I'm in truce with most of my enemies and I'm flush with peace deal money to spend.

The other thing, since I bought The Cossacks, is taking all my obsolete ships on a Grand World Tour to find buyers while I build newer models. It's kinda fun even if I don't really need the money, and it can double as an exploration trip.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Eh, building lots of stuff is one of my favorite way to relax right after a huge war, when my manpower / WE / infamy is recovering so I won't have much to do for a few years, I'm in truce with most of my enemies and I'm flush with peace deal money to spend.

The other thing, since I bought The Cossacks, is taking all my obsolete ships on a Grand World Tour to find buyers while I build newer models. It's kinda fun even if I don't really need the money, and it can double as an exploration trip.

You can upgrade ships now, I'm not sure how cost effective it is though

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is the game in a good, playable state right now with all expansions?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Baron Porkface posted:

Is the game in a good, playable state right now with all expansions?

It has always been.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It's had its' showstopper bugs. And states and estates were super divisive when first released with whatever dlc.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Do you guys remember this disasterpiece?

Well we're going to be playing this in our next iteration of our big Multiplayer Saturday Game starting on July 23rd! Hop on over to the MapGoons thread if you want to give insane HRE politics a shot.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
This is an easy question for someone out there.

Vassal Taxes: Do vassal taxes take directly from a vassal's ability to raise funds for itself? Do modifiers to bonus income from vassals effect their ability to accumulate wealth?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

pointsofdata posted:

You can upgrade ships now, I'm not sure how cost effective it is though

0%. Upgrading ships costs just as much as buying new ones.

It's a bit faster, a LOT more convenient, and it doesn't tie up your shipyards so you can use them to build more ships while the old ones upgrade, but money-wise it's a loss since the introduction of Sell Ships (assuming you can find buyers, which isn't always easy).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I certainly would not be opposed to a building interface where you just click "auto-build temple" and it puts it wherever will give you the greatest return.

Obviously there are pitfalls with building in this fashion but we're mainly talking about Russia building their 20th temple and situations like that where the choice isn't critical and you just want it done fast.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

I certainly would not be opposed to a building interface where you just click "auto-build temple" and it puts it wherever will give you the greatest return.

Obviously there are pitfalls with building in this fashion but we're mainly talking about Russia building their 20th temple and situations like that where the choice isn't critical and you just want it done fast.

You can also build buildings from the ledger, which I think lets you sort by tax income on that screen. Sort by tax income, click "build temple" in the highest tax province that doesn't have one, there you go.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

I just want them to bring back the ability to build from the ledger. You used to be able to sort all your provinces by base tax (for example) and then click a button to build a temple. For whatever reason they removed that functionality with Common Sense.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fister Roboto posted:

I just want them to bring back the ability to build from the ledger. You used to be able to sort all your provinces by base tax (for example) and then click a button to build a temple. For whatever reason they removed that functionality with Common Sense.

Wait, you could? I remember being able to do this in EU3, but never EU4.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

vyelkin posted:

You can also build buildings from the ledger, which I think lets you sort by tax income on that screen. Sort by tax income, click "build temple" in the highest tax province that doesn't have one, there you go.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I'm getting mixed messages here.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds wonderful, trying to hunt down every province to see where I'll make the most money is a bit of a pain when I have gotten my blobbing on. Especially for manufactories.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

skasion posted:

Wait, you could? I remember being able to do this in EU3, but never EU4.

You absolutely could. My memory agrees with Fister on this one (it was removed a few major updates ago), but I'd have to launch the game to be sure.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dorkopotamis posted:

This is an easy question for someone out there.

Vassal Taxes: Do vassal taxes take directly from a vassal's ability to raise funds for itself? Do modifiers to bonus income from vassals effect their ability to accumulate wealth?

Yes, vassal taxes are removed from the vassal's income. Which is fine because the AI will generally be much more happy than you to run deficits when it has to.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Finally made the Oman --> Mughals tag switch.

I was Westernizing at the same time, and I definitely did some things out of order. Wasted a few hundred monarch points by mis-timing bonuses. Then I tanked my income after changing my capital to Delhi by not realizing that it changed my trade capital. Also that state maintenance is tied to distance. Didn't think ahead on that one--if I revoke my African states to turn them into trade companies I may get an extra merchant or two.

Not sure if I have enough time to unify Islam.

If Jaunpur starts converting I'm screwed. How many provinces are left anyway?

403 Sunni provinces :stare: (just 22 Shia though)

Edit: I'm allied with Spain (it was mainly to deter Otto's attack although we just wrecked the Ottos and Spain got wrecked in their own war so I may drop them) and Vijayanagar. Crimea's my vassal. For my fourth slot I'm thinking either Muscovy or Ming, for help against the Yarkand + Jaunpur + Sind + Naugur quadruple alliance. Ming's closer and more likely to help but is barely holding it together. Thoughts?

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Finally made the Oman --> Mughals tag switch.

I was Westernizing at the same time, and I definitely did some things out of order. Wasted a few hundred monarch points by mis-timing bonuses. Then I tanked my income after changing my capital to Delhi by not realizing that it changed my trade capital. Also that state maintenance is tied to distance. Didn't think ahead on that one--if I revoke my African states to turn them into trade companies I may get an extra merchant or two.

Not sure if I have enough time to unify Islam.

If Jaunpur starts converting I'm screwed. How many provinces are left anyway?

403 Sunni provinces :stare: (just 22 Shia though)

Edit: I'm allied with Spain (it was mainly to deter Otto's attack although we just wrecked the Ottos and Spain got wrecked in their own war so I may drop them) and Vijayanagar. Crimea's my vassal. For my fourth slot I'm thinking either Muscovy or Ming, for help against the Yarkand + Jaunpur + Sind + Naugur quadruple alliance. Ming's closer and more likely to help but is barely holding it together. Thoughts?

How can you stand that map mod. It looks like you're playing an NES game.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't know why the screenshot comes out like that. It's actually crisp, not blurry. The screenshot looks like I took a picture with an unsteady hand. But in any case, I love the style.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't know why the screenshot comes out like that. It's actually crisp, not blurry. The screenshot looks like I took a picture with an unsteady hand. But in any case, I love the style.

I'm the 4-digit treasury number that only takes up half the available space

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
How can he stand those borders :gonk:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

RNG please, work with me here.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Detheros posted:

Just assault it already.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Detheros posted:

I think I found the next "Die please die" achievement.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I never actually assault forts. It basically just costs manpower to do so, yes? So if I've got a big stack of mercenaries ready to do the assault it wouldn't actually cost me anything, it would just weaken those merc stacks?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

I never actually assault forts. It basically just costs manpower to do so, yes? So if I've got a big stack of mercenaries ready to do the assault it wouldn't actually cost me anything, it would just weaken those merc stacks?

Yeah, it's only useful when the garrison is quite low, I think you want at least 10:1 ratio of your infantry to the garrison, with 20:1 being much more ideal. A better scenario to mercenaries is an attached vassal army to a small amount of your troops. I haven't done it in many patches though, so maybe things have changed a bit.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's a combat width when you're attacking as well, I forget if it's per fort level or per breach or what though. For lengthly sieges with a big garrison I pretty much never assault.

On the other hand, I assault all the drat time when the garrison is low. Fairly often if someone captures a fort and just gets a month or two of ticks before your army arrives- so they have just a few hundred men- you can make an assault fairly painlessly.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Attrition can be so nasty that assaults are better than they were at launch, depending on the severity of the winter or the terrain. Sometimes you lose less men in a risky assault than you would to a severe winter or a particularly low-supply province.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Attrition can be so nasty that assaults are better than they were at launch, depending on the severity of the winter or the terrain. Sometimes you lose less men in a risky assault than you would to a severe winter or a particularly low-supply province.

And on top of that, in you're losing cheap infantry to an assault instead of expensive artillery to attrition. If you're running enough mercenaries and have crushed the enemy's armies, then assaulting makes a ton of sense. I'm sad that I've never bothered using this mechanic, going to give it a go in my next game

Great Britain update, I had previously gotten a personal union with Aragon, and then through sheer luck I also received a personal union with Poland (but Lithuania was still independent). France became the Holy Roman Emperor and had the 4 electors as allies, so I decided to go ahead and dismantle the HRE; I wanted to reclaim some Burgundy cores (earlier I had forced Austria to release Burgundy) and since everyone would be coming to the party anyway, I thought "yeah why not, goodbye HRE"

It's around 1750 and I think I'm done with this run; Africa is either GB or vassalized territory, I've taken most of France, and I own 100% of North and South America. Not nearly close enough for a world conquest but managed to pick up several other achievements and asserted British dominance over most of the world. I wanted to go for the "conquer India as a European nation" but don't think that I have enough time left. Next I might try a game as Austria in order to see how the game looks from inside of the HRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there a sortable list in-game of the tax/production/manpower of each province you own, like Civ V has with gold/production/culture? I'm not clear on what my strategy should be for development, or if it's worth it at all instead of just expanding more and using the MP for tech/ideas. Should I try to build one uber province? Specialized provinces for each type? Raise poor provinces? It was pretty easy when the game started to just check each province manually, but now I'm getting a bit big for that.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2016

• Locked thread