Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You laugh, but the original French Translation had him as Dark Vador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Having rewatched the movie on home video, Rey holds and uses a saber with the same style as Palpatine in III. I'd vote for her as queen :swoon:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MonsieurChoc posted:

You laugh, but the original French Translation had him as Dark Vador.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

This Thread posted:

The prequels are misunderstood high art and The Force Awakens is recycled garbage

lol

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Cool strawman.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yes, that video is a fantastic illustration of my point. Thank you.

That video is also interesting because it's a case where Mike Stoklasa most likely knows what's actually going on in the footage he's presenting, but decides to overlay misleading narration on top of it anyway to make Lucas look bad. Credulous RLM fans then proceed to take Stoklasa's narrative at face value and propagate it across the Internet as if it were fact. I guess that's all part of the joke?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 3, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

McDowell posted:

Having rewatched the movie on home video, Rey holds and uses a saber with the same style as Palpatine in III. I'd vote for her as queen :swoon:

That's a cool observation.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I thought she was just using staff moves as far as they're applicable to sword-fighting, since she is used to fighting with a staff.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

McDowell posted:

Rey is evil: confirmed.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have a theory that the next film will involve Rey's emotions getting to her and her falling to the darkside, and Kylo Ren turning good and saving the day.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cnut the Great posted:

Yes, that video is a fantastic illustration of my point. Thank you.

That video is also interesting because it's a case where Mike Stoklasa most likely knows what's actually going on in the footage he's presenting, but decides to overlay misleading narration on top of it anyway to make Lucas look bad. Credulous RLM fans then proceed to take Stoklasa's narrative at face value and propagate it across the Internet as if it were fact. I guess that's all part of the joke?

I think it's literally what Mike says. He's interpreting the actions through his bias. I think it's totally sincere.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I just watched it for the first time and I hadn't seen a single trailer or ad for it at all.

Am I wrong in thinking that everything felt kinda rushed and the dialogue wobbled between being totally normal and being incredibly bad?

It was better than the prequels but the whole plot felt very bland. And the entire second half of the film I got all caught up wondering how everyone was getting such perfect information all the time, and so fast too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You've heard it here first: Rey is Prince Ken's daughter. Glove of Darth Vader: still canon.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't think it was a bad film at all, it's fun and nice to see new Star Wars, it had some pretty great moments and I like the new kids/characters who will carry the torch going forward.

But it is almost ridiculously derivative of the '77 film, and played way, way too safe. Seems like Disney was terrified to make it any other way, and made a huge effort to distance it from things associated with the PT.

About the dialog and plotting, yes there was some cornball stuff in there. It doesn't really bother me on its face because, you know, Star Wars.

I don't know that I can really blame Disney for making their flagship film of the series this way, but it will be great to see what the next two films bring.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Disney's deal includes the merchandising rights/profits that made GL a billionaire? Did he give that up along with everything else?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

MonsieurChoc posted:

You've heard it here first: Rey is Prince Ken's daughter. Glove of Darth Vader: still canon.

If blaster earrings make it to the big screen I will finally have found My Star Wars

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

If blaster earrings make it to the big screen I will finally have found My Star Wars

We must have a Leia fembot too :colbert:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

[joke about carrie fisher's performance already being robotic]

it was fine

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

McDowell posted:

Care to elaborate? I don't see the similarities between how she and Sheev saber fight at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HookedOnChthonics posted:

[joke about carrie fisher's performance already being robotic]

it was fine

It was snoke.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I saw episode IV a few months ago for the first time ever. Finally saw V and VI last week and then watched TFA afterwards. Empire was good, Jedi seemed to drag with all the wookie stuff. TFA was refreshing to watch with the huge jump in technology. I liked the little bit of humor, and I am a big wuss and felt sad for BB8 at certain times, also chewie. I was surprised that Han was in it so much, but I liked it. Was hoping for way more Luke too.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cage posted:

I saw episode IV a few months ago for the first time ever. Finally saw V and VI last week and then watched TFA afterwards. Empire was good, Jedi seemed to drag with all the wookie stuff. TFA was refreshing to watch with the huge jump in technology. I liked the little bit of humor, and I am a big wuss and felt sad for BB8 at certain times, also chewie. I was surprised that Han was in it so much, but I liked it. Was hoping for way more Luke too.

They're not wookies, they are ewoks!!!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I think it's literally what Mike says. He's interpreting the actions through his bias. I think it's totally sincere.

Well, then his bias is so great so as to make everything he says extremely questionable on every level. There's nothing particularly odd or damning about anything going on in that video, and anyone who makes movies professionally should know that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Syncopated posted:

Oops. Yeah those things.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Syncopated posted:

Ain't no such thing as halfsized Wooks.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I seriously never noticed wok-e/e-wok before now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, then his bias is so great so as to make everything he says extremely questionable on every level. There's nothing particularly odd or damning about anything going on in that video, and anyone who makes movies professionally should know that.

Perhaps...your observation is just as subjective as his?

Big ol' rolleyes at the [professionally] bit there. RLM are involved enough in b-movie production and have friends in the bigger budget industry to know how movie production works. If you disagree that's fine, but this is the intellectual equivalent of "he is a doody head".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

I seriously never noticed wok-e/e-wok before now.

They're also named for the Miwoks, an indigenous people who historically inhabited the Northern California redwood forests where the Endor scenes were filmed.

quote:

Big ol' rolleyes at the [professionally] bit there. RLM are involved enough in b-movie production and have friends in the bigger budget industry to know how movie production works.

Yes, that is my point. You are incredibly dense. Stoklasa's actual subjective opinion about what is going on in that video is exactly the same as mine, I guarantee you.

There's nothing really ambiguous going on. It's a video showing several film professionals talking calmly and coherently about a routine part of the filmmaking process. Stoklasa knows this perfectly well, because he's not an idiot, unlike.....well, let's just say unlike certain people.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You should ask him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

You should ask him.

I don't see how doing so could possibly be productive or worth my while. I mean, what would I even ask him? "Did you overlay suggestive narration on top of Lucas-approved documentary footage in order to predispose viewers toward an interpretation which would be most conducive to supporting the comedically-exaggerated thesis of your video?"

Of course he did. It's an extremely dumb question.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The RLM reviews are first and foremost entertainment, I don't think there's anything insidious about re contextualizing footage for a laugh. They're not performing a public service, or making a case in a court of law. I don't think they would consider it a piece of scholarly film criticism, nor is it best judged as such.

I think they do believe the central thesis of the reviews, that the prequels are bad, but the main objective is to provide entertainment through their deconstruction, not the deconstruction itself.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Yes, that is my point. You are incredibly dense. Stoklasa's actual subjective opinion about what is going on in that video is exactly the same as mine, I guarantee you.

Ah. See, I was giving you credit by believe you wouldn't honestly think Mike doesn't believe what he says is happening in the video, and is actually conspiring to lie to nerds on the internet into hating star wars movies.

Well, then.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Ah. See, I was giving you credit by believe you wouldn't honestly think Mike doesn't believe what he says is happening in the video, and is actually conspiring to lie to nerds on the internet into hating star wars movies.

Well, then.

I hate to break this to you, buddy, but James Rolfe, the angriest gamer you've ever heard, would not actually rather eat a roadkilled skunk and down it with beer than play the NES Ghostbusters game. It's not a conspiracy theory to believe the previous sentence, either.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brainiac Five posted:

I hate to break this to you, buddy, but James Rolfe, the angriest gamer you've ever heard, would not actually rather eat a roadkilled skunk and down it with beer than play the NES Ghostbusters game. It's not a conspiracy theory to believe the previous sentence, either.

There's no confirmation of that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's no confirmation of that.

I have anecdotal proof.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

We're talking about the BTS observations bit, not the Plinkett character or how much they dislike the prequels.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

We're talking about the BTS observations bit, not the Plinkett character or how much they dislike the prequels.

The people who do RedLetterMedia are entertainers, making an entertainment. If I say that they probably aren't going to go for the strictest, most truthful representation of everything as a consequence, this doesn't make me Agent Mulder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brainiac Five posted:

I have anecdotal proof.

Apropos of nothing, I found out last year that James Rolfe grew up like ten miles from me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

The people who do RedLetterMedia are entertainers, making an entertainment. If I say that they probably aren't going to go for the strictest, most truthful representation of everything as a consequence, this doesn't make me Agent Mulder.

Cool. Their humor is pretty overt though, so when he's talking about the Behind the Scenes footage it's pretty clear from the lack of any outright jokes. It's okay to disagree with someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KseqzmcqQBQ

[laugh track]

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Apropos of nothing, I found out last year that James Rolfe grew up like ten miles from me.

That's pretty cool. The closest internet personalities to me are Let's Players about fifty, sixty miles away.

Neurolimal posted:

Cool. Their humor is pretty overt though, so when he's talking about the Behind the Scenes footage it's pretty clear from the lack of any outright jokes. It's okay to disagree with someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KseqzmcqQBQ

[laugh track]

I don't know what devilish circumstances have lead you to confusing "entertainer" with "comedian", but I wish you luck in your return to full sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

I don't know what devilish circumstances have lead you to confusing "entertainer" with "comedian", but I wish you luck in your return to full sanity.

and I wish you luck on believing that Mike Stoklasa doesn't actually believe what he's dryly saying in the BTS bits of the reviews.

what happened to the previous four Brainiac's

• Locked thread