Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Intelligence agencies use the internet all the time to identify possible radical Islamists, why not apply the same standards to white racists then?

Don't forget the alt-right from your previous post, you might want to catch them in time too
e: lol nvm you're the gdr is cool guy

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Shibawanko posted:

Free speech laws interpreted too loosely lead to poo poo like Japan where you have right wing gangs in the street with megaphones shouting how much they hate Chinese people. Free speech has become a hollow principle for absolute scum to hide behind. Free speech should be interpreted as free speech in good faith, not just anything that comes out of your mouth.

Intelligence agencies use the internet all the time to identify possible radical Islamists, why not apply the same standards to white racists then? They might have caught Breivik in time.

Would you want them to hunt down members of the radical left, who want to overthrow the current system, too? Asking for a friend.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

Don't forget the alt-right from your previous post, you might want to catch them in time too
e: lol nvm you're the gdr is cool guy

The alt right belongs in jail.

I don't remember a single murderer produced by the far left in recent history. On the other hand, we have Anders Breivik, the murderer of Jo Cox and a wacky cast of other unhinged psychos from the extreme right.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Shibawanko posted:

I don't remember a single murderer produced by the far left in recent history. On the other hand, we have Anders Breivik, the murderer of Jo Cox and a wacky cast of other unhinged psychos from the extreme right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...96fd_story.html

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You still haven't told us about la Terreur.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kassad posted:

You still haven't told us about la Terreur.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grandma always used to say that if your thread starts attracting tankies, you've gone to too full communism now

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Why sould I go to jail?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Intelligence agencies use the internet all the time to identify possible radical Islamists, why not apply the same standards to white racists then? They might have caught Breivik in time.

The standard is "tries to kill people". Radical islamists do it all the time those days, edgy pepe posters don't.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Ligur posted:

Why sould I go to jail?

Because you touch yourself at night.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Pim Fortuyn ("populist") in the Netherlands was shot in 2002 by a left-wing guy.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

unpacked robinhood posted:

The standard is "tries to kill people". Radical islamists do it all the time those days, edgy pepe posters don't.

They do prefer to get them to commit suicide, because they're cowards.

Ligur posted:

Why sould I go to jail?

Because we've got humanist values and it would be pretty hypocritical to simply execute you.

OperaMouse posted:

Pim Fortuyn ("populist") in the Netherlands was shot in 2002 by a left-wing guy.

Not gonna cry.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ligur posted:

Why sould I go to jail?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ligur posted:

Why sould I go to jail?
https://twitter.com/broderick/status/866318869157294080

One of many reasons.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ligur posted:

Why sould I go to jail?

Because you're a oval office, alright?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So England wants to have an heavily government regulated internet.

Probably a good step to stop fascists posting pepes imo. Unless they use it to track idiot internet leftists cosplaying their fantasy purge I mean.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Are you guys ready for this? I don't think I'm ready. Can you die of uninterrupted laughter? What's the medical procedure for comedy overdose, tia.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad he'll meet Macron in Brussels, that way we don't have to host him in Paris.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Shibawanko posted:

FARC was killing thousands until last year.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 21, 2017

Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

Shibawanko posted:

Free speech laws interpreted too loosely lead to poo poo

You people are loving goofballs.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Doctor Malaver posted:

FARC was killing thousands until last year.

Most of the people killed in the colombian civil war were killed by right wing death squads.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shao821 posted:

You people are loving goofballs.

What's controversial about that statement? There's a tension between free speech and public racism and abuse. The latter is usually justified by the far right as "free speech", so clearly at a minimum there need to be corollaries to the principle of free speech.

In most European countries, we have those corollaries. Denying the holocaust happened is illegal, for example. It is part of our civilisation that statements like that cannot be excused by any principle of freedom of expression.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Saying there must be limits to freedom because of human shittyness is not a controversial opinion.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Update: Sánchez won the primary election with over 50% of the vote against 40% for Susana Diáz, who was basically the candidate of the party establishment, with 10% backing Patxi López (IIRC former Speaker of the Spanish Congress). Looks though like Sánchez is about as popular in his party's establishment as Corbyn, though likely more competent.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Shibawanko posted:

What's controversial about that statement? There's a tension between free speech and public racism and abuse. The latter is usually justified by the far right as "free speech", so clearly at a minimum there need to be corollaries to the principle of free speech.

In most European countries, we have those corollaries. Denying the holocaust happened is illegal, for example. It is part of our civilisation that statements like that cannot be excused by any principle of freedom of expression.

'Cause there's limits to our liberties, at least I hope and pray that there are, because those liberal freaks go too far.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

lollontee posted:

Saying there must be limits to freedom because of human shittyness is not a controversial opinion.
The problem is who gets to define the limits.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Collateral Damage posted:

i'll volunteer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20170509IPR73935/watching-online-films-and-tv-while-abroad

this is so loving dumb. They *want* me to :filez:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Yes that's what politics is all about.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

anything that shits on the stupid idea that media content providers can segment the internet into regional units like it's 2003 DVD sales is extremely cool and good.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Why? It seems like a reasonable thing for the EU to do.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
[quote]FAS: Ist die schwarze Null evangelisch?

Schäuble: Die schwarze Null würde Luther vermutlich gefallen: eine solide Finanzpolitik, die nicht auf Kosten der Zukunft agiert. Ich begründe meine Finanzpolitik mit Nachhaltigkeit: Wir dürfen unsere heutigen Ausgaben nicht durch künftige Steuerzahler finanzieren lassen.

FAS: Hat der Streit um die richtige Wirtschaftspolitik in Europa auch mit unterschiedlichen Konfessionen zu tun, nach dem Motto: Katholiken sehen es mit dem Geld etwas lockerer?

Schäuble: Die Griechen sind doch orthodox.

FAS: Das ist noch katholischer als katholisch.

Schäuble: Ich glaube, die Zusammenhänge sind komplizierter.
[quote]

Very funny interview by Schäuble.

http://www.bundesfinanzministerium.de/Content/DE/Interviews/2017/2017-05-22-faz-sonntag.html

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

In a functioning country, there's a thing called the "legislative power" that is charged with this task. In a parliamentary democracy, the legislative power consists of an assembly of representatives elected by the people. I hope this answers your question.

This is the exact opposite of dumb.

Now if they could impose a standard format for inkjet printer cartridge, preferably one with separate cartridges for each color...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The underlying problem is media licensing agreements which only permit a distributor to make content available in some countries/areas, which in turn has its roots in archaic copyright law written at a time when nobody could imagine content being transfered across borders in any way other than physical media.

Basically copyright law needs to be torn up and shitcanned in its entirety, then rewritten from a 21st century consumer perspective.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I'm not sure what kind of evidence you expect there to be for Merkel being a secret libertarian? A secret diary? A brain scan?
Oh I don't know. Party voting against tax transparency? Dogged adherence to the church of austerity? From the outside looking in she's not looking too rosy, but maybe she saving up her progressive policies. I also never claimed she was a libertarian? You can be a garden variety conservative and still be terrible without having to feel like you need to define yourself as a literal insane person.

Basically copyright law needs to be torn up and shitcanned in its entirety, then rewritten from a 21st century consumer perspective.
Why rewrite it at all then?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

This is the exact opposite of dumb.

blowfish posted:

anything that shits on the stupid idea that media content providers can segment the internet into regional units like it's 2003 DVD sales is extremely cool and good.

Please read the thing, not just the title, because it's enforcing the segmentation harder, not getting rid of it.

I can get a lovely vpn and watch good shows now, that won't be an option anymore soon (and already isn't in many cases).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The underlying problem is media licensing agreements which only permit a distributor to make content available in some countries/areas, which in turn has its roots in archaic copyright law written at a time when nobody could imagine content being transfered across borders in any way other than physical media.

:agreed: but good luck with that as we transition from tech-illiterate old politicians who still haven't quite gotten over the fact that computers aren't just a fad like baggy jeans to tech-illiterate young politicians whose tech knowledge amounts to "press butan to apply instagram filter".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

In a functioning country, there's a thing called the "legislative power" that is charged with this task. In a parliamentary democracy, the legislative power consists of an assembly of representatives elected by the people. I hope this answers your question.
So what happens when representatives that you don't agree with has majority control over the assembly and decide that it's now illegal to voice an opposing opinion? (Assuming there isn't something in the country's constitution requiring more than a majority for such law changes). Just because power isn't wielded by a single person doesn't mean it can't be abused.

Incitement of violence, hate speech and the like doesn't fall under free speech in the first place, which is usually what the lovely people refer to when they complain.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's actually really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vulin posted:

Strong anti hate speech laws and limitations on free speech to protect a person's dignity are good and useful, the internet shouldn't be a refuge from that, so Shibawanko's idea is actually good.

People keep forgetting that having a STASI-like apparatus doesn't mean it will work like they imagine it will. It will inevitably end in people like Shibawanko ruining their own lifes when some apparatschik decides they don't like his face.

Or hey, maybe he turns into a corrupt apparatschik himself! With this kind of thing, you can never know