Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think fandoms for most shows are going to be insufferable to sift through, especially if you're in an aging demo like the people of this dead forum. I try to steer clear of these interactions outside of SA. I think R&M is a pretty solid to occasionally great show but by nature of its content it's going to occasionally rub a well adjusted person the wrong way.

To be frank, if you're a full grown adult and you're defining yourself by a cartoon show it's not a good look to most of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo posted:

If you get enough Beatles fans who murder actresses in the name of the coming race war to populate a convention, you bet your rear end I'm avoiding the Beatles.

:lol:

good point. there were like 50 of 'em, which already seems high (but not statistically). and the R&M fanbase does broadly speaking suck poo poo.

here's the thing: Rick is constantly wrong about things and is an irredeemable abject loser, and I can't understand why anybody would want to be him any more than someone would Bojack, which SMC! basically said.

but the Joker or Patrick Bateman or uh Reginald Scarface shouldn't be sympathetic, either, and

in conclusion,

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Empty Sandwich posted:

but the Joker or Patrick Bateman or uh Reginald Scarface shouldn't be sympathetic, either, and

Do people really idolise Bateman?

Dude failed at literally everything, repeatedly. At least Joker and Scarface succeeded at being evil before it all came crashing down on their heads

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

simplefish posted:

Do people really idolise Bateman?

Dude failed at literally everything, repeatedly. At least Joker and Scarface succeeded at being evil before it all came crashing down on their heads

I don't know about idolization, but I know me and a friend used to say we had to return some video tapes whenever we were leaving things

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
the only bad character you should sympathize with is Poison Ivy because she's doing the right thing (turning people into trees, growing cannabis, scrote stomping)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Interweb posted:

wait what? i get that people can often misinterpret the message of a film, and something like American History X supposedly wound up making nazis even more popular, but how the gently caress does anyone watch FMJ and think to themselves: "yeah, i definitely wanna be a part of THAT!"?

The book of Jarhead has an interesting passage where the author opines that there's no such thing as an anti-war movie, because the intended audience doesn't have the critical insight to evaluate them that way, they just filter out the existential horror and enjoy the muscly dudes ripping poo poo out in the jungle, then go sign up and put a downpayment on a Camaro.

Mind you, I don't know if the author had seen Come and See, but I think he's generally correct

Plant MONSTER. posted:

the only bad character you should sympathize with is Poison Ivy because she's doing the right thing (turning people into trees, growing cannabis, scrote stomping)

Excellent user/post combo, but also yes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mind you, I don't know if the author had seen Come and See, but I think he's generally correct

I think the trick for the most part is to focus on a non-combatant:

- Come and See
- Ida
- Grave of the Fireflies
- The Pianist

The best cases I can think of that focus on combatants are

- City of Life and Death
- Joyeux Noel
- Katyn

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Das Boo posted:

I think the trick for the most part is to focus on a non-combatant:

- Come and See
- Ida
- Grave of the Fireflies
- The Pianist

The best cases I can think of that focus on combatants are

- City of Life and Death
- Joyeux Noel
- Katyn

I think that's a good rubric. 1917 had the potential to be a good example of the latter group, but ultimately it was too Are Brave Boys and gimmicky to be much of anything. Peter Jackson's documentary thing was better

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The closest I got to seeing 1917 was when our rowdy screening of Cats spilled into the hall singing at the same time as the crowd from 1917 let out. :v: I really should give it a watch sometime, though.

Has Simpsons done a Cats 2019 reference yet, or is that too fresh?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Has Simpsons done a Cats 2019 reference yet, or is that too fresh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNZDTCTYvGU
It is...very....

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's basically whatever filler until the crazy cat lady part, where they promptly demonstrate their complete utter lack of understanding of comedic timing. Or comedy. It still wouldn't have been funny but would have at least "worked" if she just did a quick two second scream, but instead they linger on it and she rambles for 8 seconds.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

If you get enough Beatles fans who murder actresses in the name of the coming race war to populate a convention, you bet your rear end I'm avoiding the Beatles.

This made me laugh at the end of a loooong bad day. Thank you :classiclol:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

The book of Jarhead has an interesting passage where the author opines that there's no such thing as an anti-war movie, because the intended audience doesn't have the critical insight to evaluate them that way, they just filter out the existential horror and enjoy the muscly dudes ripping poo poo out in the jungle, then go sign up and put a downpayment on a Camaro.

Excellent user/post combo, but also yes

Starship troopers, I'm told, as a book is very anti-war but the film is a war comedy really

But yeah, my bugbear is the diCaprio "The Island" which was embraced as an aspiration by the audience when it's really a condemnation

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

simplefish posted:

Starship troopers, I'm told, as a book is very anti-war but the film is a war comedy really

Whoever told you this was lying

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

simplefish posted:

But yeah, my bugbear is the diCaprio "The Island" which was embraced as an aspiration by the audience when it's really a condemnation

the book is much more clearly that, partly bc the nationality of the main character and principals are reversed in the movie

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one was a future one, with Werner Herzog playing a tarot reader doing the framing device. Sound familiar?

Lisa decides she doesn't want to go to college after feeling unfulfilled by getting into every college she applies to. Bart has abandoned the idea of going to college to become a Fruit Ninja professional. Remember Fruit Ninja? The phone game everyone loved like a loving decade ago?

This causes a rift between her and Marge. Marge urges Lisa to talk to the man who's always been there for her, Ned (this actually continues a late Simpsons trend of Ned being a father figure to the Simpson kids). Ned recommends she get a job. She works a poo poo service job and then bails on it to start a literacy program after meeting idiot kids who can't read. It's wildly successful and launches her into a political career. Her rise in politics is told through a news montage that ends with cameos from George Stephanopolous and Nate Silver (Nate Silver delivers a shockingly good VO performance. Only good thing in the episode.)

Lisa is elected president and then gets high on the top of the White House with Bart (now a pot company CEO) who convinces her to make up with Marge, who has been mad at her all these years for not going to college.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Bart has abandoned the idea of going to college to become a Fruit Ninja professional. Remember Fruit Ninja? The phone game everyone loved like a loving decade ago?

Um...no? :confused:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

simplefish posted:

what

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

Lisa is elected president and then gets high on the top of the White House with Bart (now a pot company CEO) who convinces her to make up with Marge, who has been mad at her all these years for not going to college.

Two questions: 1.) is this a prequel to “Bart to the Future,” or is this just coincidence? 2.) the episode just ends like that in the future without a return to the framing device in the present?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I am so glad they put a marquee that says "Cats" in the background. I would have never gotten the joke. Hahaha, they had the crazy cat lady, because making fun of mental illnesses is fun!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

Two questions: 1.) is this a prequel to “Bart to the Future,” or is this just coincidence? 2.) the episode just ends like that in the future without a return to the framing device in the present?

No, they go back to the framing device

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Now I know how that, "What are you gonna do? Stab me?" guy felt.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

No, they go back to the framing device

Oh, cool. I guess even modern Simpsons can still follow some rules.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

Whoever told you this was lying

Oh, maybe I should read it some time

I'm glad I included that it was hearsay!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

simplefish posted:

Oh, maybe I should read it some time

I'm glad I included that it was hearsay!

It's a bad book written by a fascist, the film is the only decent result of its existence.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

simplefish posted:

Starship troopers, I'm told, as a book is very anti-war

ahahahaha let me sum up the book for you real quick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVESMxs4rbA

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah the movie is very anti war, the patriotism is obviously sarcastic and you'd have to be straight up dumb to miss the point when Niel Patrick Harris yells out "It's afraid!" and everyone cheering being a sad moment.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Honestly, the best way to experience the book is to watch the anime. At least that way you get some sick 80s hair metal.

Youtube Playlist

I'm not claiming the show is good, but it is the closest to the book.

I say this as someone who has engaged with every single thing the franchise has produced. Sadly, other than the 1st movie, Roughneck Chronicles and the FPS everything is kinda bad. The book is interesting for what it is, but the message is very different than the movies. It is however incredibly short longer than I remember and you could knock it out in an afternoon easily potentially.

I believe at some point it was required reading at several military schools for officers in training.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 12, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

here's the thing: Rick is constantly wrong about things and is an irredeemable abject loser, and I can't understand why anybody would want to be him any more than someone would Bojack, which SMC! basically said.
Rick also constantly saves the day and gets the girl. Episodes like the talent show is all about how Rick is so cool that he can make up a song on the fly that is so cool that it saves the planet.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
At the end of the Unity episode he explicitly doesn't get the girl, that's what makes it a trademark Rick and Morty Sad Song Ending

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah the movie is very anti war, the patriotism is obviously sarcastic and you'd have to be straight up dumb to miss the point when Niel Patrick Harris yells out "It's afraid!" and everyone cheering being a sad moment.

It’s a very hard to miss satire of hard right wing militarism, especially when the military uniforms in the movie are straight up historically fascist.

Would you like to know more?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rick is cool. But you would never want to be Rick, because Rick is miserable and an rear end in a top hat.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The people who think they're Ricks are actually Jerrys.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Gotta admit, Ants In My Eyes Johnson was a pretty solid character and gag :hai:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The part in the marriage counselling episode where all the smug jerries come walking out of the brain device is one of the absolute funniest things I've ever seen. Show's pretty ok otherwise. I stopped watching after the ocean's eleven episode from the latest (?) season though bc I noticed that I hadn't laughed once and I don't wanna waste my time watching if there are gonna be more absolute nothings like that one.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Pretty good posted:

The part in the marriage counselling episode where all the smug jerries come walking out of the brain device is one of the absolute funniest things I've ever seen.

Agreed. That joke is killer.

I'm currently doing a half assed Rick and Morty background rewatch for a lack of better things to do. It's overall a decent show but it crawls up its own rear end sometimes.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/1392478608199983104

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

/thread

Goldmine.

Time . To. Die.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

While he may do horrible things and be an irredeemable jerk, the show's framing makes him appear cool and correct. Bojack (the show) does an excellent job of framing the things Bojak (the horse from horsin' around) does as being monstrous, cruel, and not something to aspire to. R&M may TELL you that Rick is bad, but then it SHOWS you him being cool and good.

This video does a better job explaining it than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8ICfWsUVw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

never watched a moment of Rick and Morty for one simple, stupid reason: their eyeballs gross me right the gently caress out for reasons I don't understand.