Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Eight years of war, death on a massive scale, and a continent in ruins... all to achieve a succession law change that would be five minute obstacles in Crusader Kings 2.

It was all a long con by the Stark dynasty to try to take charge but it kinda got out of hand. They had to settle for the North for now, put the cripple on the throne to the south so that they can reconquer that poo poo in a few years. Also explains the convenient exile of all the other claimants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilas Kraut
Jul 15, 2000
Arya discovers Vinland, only to be killed by the Skraelings. RIP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They certainly wouldn't all declare independence and tell Bran to gently caress off.

The best historical analog Bran could hope for is an emperor of China or Japan during a warring state period and those guys as it turned out a) didnt really do a whole lot and b) had a tendency to die whenever the house using them as leverage didnt need them anymore.

The most realistic outcome for Bran is that roman emperor who was declared emperor against his will by vote and then murdered that afternoon.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I can’t wait for bjorn the blemished to be king. Dude suffered from acne his whole life yet overcame and he doesn’t want to be king bc hes not a gamer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

galagazombie posted:

I personally believe that at the minimum Dorne and the Iron Islands, whose entire schtick is they don't want to be in a united kingdom and are only ever in one due to things like marriage or threats of dragons, were just playing along and immediately seceded once they got back home. After all who still exists to prevent them?

Exactly

Also remember when Yara only joined Dany because she promised the Iron Islands independence? The writers sure didn't!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

None of the writers put a single second of thought into the dynamics of Westeros, a land of noble houses where you gotta suck another lord's cock by having kids and marrying off your son to his daughter, under a ruler who can't father children. What happens when Bran dies or if he gets murdered and has no actual lineage? The realm instantly explodes into chaos worse than Dany murdering everyone in King's Landing. gently caress this show.

bran is going to warg into a bull and cuck himself to ensure he has an heir

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think thats why the epilogue is so embarassing. It should have been "oh yeah totally doing this king thing" then showing how each house was freely ignoring or undermining that, preparing for the next go around. Instead were supposed to believe anybody buys into this arrangement especially when the newly independent starks are right there.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Look of course everyone would just accept the new king because

They certainly wouldn't all declare independence and tell Bran to gently caress off.

Yeah, I don't see why in the heck most of the lords would support Bran long-term and what Tyrion and everyone else are going to do when someone decides to assassinate him in his wheelchair. It's not like Bran is popular and has massive support among the general populace either, like Jon or Sansa.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why did the show even need to end? The majority of the actors on the show are terrible in everything else they do and the writers are complete hack frauds so why not continue the show for another 10-20 years. Hell poo poo gently caress the Simpsons is still going. Why wrap up the whole thing in 9 hours when people are still watching and money continues to be shoveled into the furnace. As far as I can tell nobody was asking for the show to be over or for things to be wrapped up.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Yeah, I don't see why in the heck most of the lords would support Bran long-term and what Tyrion and everyone else are going to do when someone decides to assassinate him in his wheelchair. It's not like Bran is popular and has massive support among the general populace either, like Jon or Sansa.

Tyrion also alienated everyone in-universe at some point or another.

house of the dad posted:

Why did the show even need to end? The majority of the actors on the show are terrible in everything else they do and the writers are complete hack frauds so why not continue the show for another 10-20 years. Hell poo poo gently caress the Simpsons is still going. Why wrap up the whole thing in 9 hours when people are still watching and money continues to be shoveled into the furnace.

It is vitally important that D&D get a full-time show about how killing slavers is bad.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
https://twitter.com/yashsayings/status/1130351356173201408

lmao ok maybe in symbolism for babies 101

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
i love how they thinned out the characters and world so hard that the final group of "lords and ladies" that voted for king broken dick had like at least 3 or 4 people who were not lords or ladies and should not have a vote (shout out to my dude davos for keeping it real and pointing out he shouldn't even have a vote). like why are they even letting sam, a steward of the nights watch, have a loving seat period let alone listen to what he has to say? and most of the rest were dudes we havent seen in forever. also, tobias menzies, why did you come back for a single scene where you were treated like a fuckin cuck. should have just said no, dude. i guess if you were paid well enough i'd have done it, too.

i also love how jon has to give up his sword to see a prisoner who the unsullied all want to die and is guarded by like a million dudes, but is fully armed when approaching the queen who is completely unguarded.

Damo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 20, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Lol. My girlfriend and I both rolled our eyes simultaneously at how horribly cheesy that scene was while watching it. The CG compositing was total garbage in much of that sequence with the Dothraki and the ruins of King's Landing too. :sad:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

house of the dad posted:

Why did the show even need to end? The majority of the actors on the show are terrible in everything else they do and the writers are complete hack frauds so why not continue the show for another 10-20 years. Hell poo poo gently caress the Simpsons is still going. Why wrap up the whole thing in 9 hours when people are still watching and money continues to be shoveled into the furnace. As far as I can tell nobody was asking for the show to be over or for things to be wrapped up.

The show runners have a show that is about the Confederate States of America ignoring history and not immediately imploding into complete cacaphonous dissarray theyve got to do and some star wars to make.

Which, uh, alternate history about slavery may elude "themese are for 8th graders"

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Lol. My girlfriend and I both rolled our eyes simultaneously at how horribly cheesy that scene was while watching it. The CG compositing was total garbage in much of that sequence with the Dothraki and the ruins of King's Landing too. :sad:

the funny thing is, it tells us nothing through the visual. we have known she is the dragon lady since the first season guys, we have all watched the show. it is just gratuitous "look at my dope shot" bullshit. i mean i dont care that it is in the episode, but wanking off like it is some cinematic masterpiece is just lol

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Damo posted:

i also love how jon has to give up his sword to see a prisoner who the unsullied all want to die and is guarded by like a million dudes, but is fully armed when approaching the queen who is completely unguarded.

why is that a weird thing? dont bring in weapons the prisoner could use to escape or be used for a mercy killing/suicide
and jon is still a part of her inner crew, should no soldier around her carry weapons?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Damo posted:

I mean, technically she was guarded by the dragon. Turns out, dragons don't make very good bodyguards.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

datajugend posted:

why is that a weird thing? dont bring in weapons the prisoner could use to escape or be used for a mercy killing/suicide
and jon is still a part of her inner crew, should no soldier around her carry weapons?

why is the queen completely unguarded

have you not watched the show. the ruler is never without a member of the kingsguard protecting them at the very least, unless they are in their chambers with the person they are married to

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Damo posted:

the funny thing is, it tells us nothing through the visual. we have known she is the dragon lady since the first season guys, we have all watched the show.

You don't understand. She went from wearing white gowns to wearing a black leather sith lord dress like she touched red kryptonite. At that point Dani should have been halfway to highgarden on a motorcycle but only me and a couple other people would have found it funny if she called jon on the phone and said "going up the country bowl without me"

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
but jon and dany have been alone alot of times tho? and he had his sword for a few of them as well

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Damo posted:

the funny thing is, it tells us nothing through the visual. we have known she is the dragon lady since the first season guys, we have all watched the show. it is just gratuitous "look at my dope shot" bullshit. i mean i dont care that it is in the episode, but wanking off like it is some cinematic masterpiece is just lol

The show runners think they're so clever and cool and would rather have YASSS QUEEN dragon scenes and Tyrion referencing pissing off The Wall from season 1 than a satisfying, believable ending that isn't lazy nonsense, so pretty much, yeah.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

datajugend posted:

but jon and dany have been alone alot of times tho?

yeah im not saying it hasnt been dumb many times before. it's something they have done many times recently that doesn't make sense, and that they used to get right all the time. watch the older seasons, joffrey and poo poo always had dudes guarding them.

it just stands out this time with dany because she got murdered

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

datajugend posted:

but jon and dany have been alone alot of times tho? and he had his sword for a few of them as well

Except this time Grey Worm et al and Dany herself know that Jon has his doubts, Tyrion wants to murder her, and she has no allies left besides the Unsullied and Dothraki, so why wouldn't she be under 24/7 armed guard?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 20, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its basically the show runners wanted Jon to kill Dany but lacked the wherewithal to pace this out such that a convincing plot could be plotted/conveyed and so like so much this season just memory holed any obstacles to what they wanted to have happen.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Except this time Grey Worm et al and Dany herself know that Jon has his doubts, Tyrion wants to murder her, and she has no solid allies left besides the Unsullied and Dothraki, so why wouldn't she be under 24/7 guard?

exactly. and she literally has a loving dragon guarding the approach to her in that scene. also she is still in a warzone, one that she has conquered, sure, but not exactly a completely safe area. but sure, no unsullied guards, no removing of weapons even though jon had to remove them and pass many guards to see a condemned prisoner

it is just another example of the writers taking shortcuts, throwing poo poo out the window, and just not caring as needed to make their plot points happen

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Forget Jon and Arya looking to kill Dany. Tyrion could have slipped some random dude a dagger to sneak in and stab her to death since there was no guards protecting their queen. That scene is so horrendously stupid.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Damo posted:

like why are they even letting sam, a steward of the nights watch, have a loving seat period let alone listen to what he has to say?

Sam is either there as the last heir of house Tarly or as the Maesters' representative, or both. He may have had two votes!

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
if sansa is independent and the night's watch is part of the north why would jon's exile be enforceable in any way

why would anyone care in the first place about jon's exile if the unsullied were just going to gently caress off to naath or naarth or whatever the gently caress

what the gently caress is drogon doing

where did aryas horse go

where are the dothraki going

why doesnt brienne know how ink works

why does bran say he doesnt want to be king then like 5 seconds later assert that everything to this point was him manipulating events to result in him being king

why would yara not immediately gently caress off and go back to pillaging everyone

why would the story of ice and fire not mention tyrion. he singlehandedly pooped on stannis that one time.

why is arya going to be christopher columbus. does she know anything about sailing? why does she care about exploring? has she ever cared about exploring? She seems to care about family alot but she doesn't want to be with her family?

does bran poo poo? who changes his diapers. does he die? is he immortal?

does hbo have an editor? i will do it for the low low price of a million dollars a year. where do I send my resume

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

"Truly our system of having six or so rich feudal masters pick one of their own to unaccountably rule the peasants with an iron fist is the most enlightened system. It's Bipartisan because every rich feudal master gets a say!"

Jokes on them, Bran will turn into a tree and live forever, like my immortal hacked crusader kings 2 lord.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Thranguy posted:

Sam is either there as the last heir of house Tarly or as the Maesters' representative, or both. He may have had two votes!

ah yes, house tarly, a true powerhouse in the show, let alone the books.

seriously, whoever is lord of the reach (bronn lmao, was he even in that scene? i dont think so) covers their vote. if house tarly has a vote why wouldnt house butthole in the neck or house dicktrench in the riverlands have one? why wouldnt ever minor house sworn to a major house have one?

None of the writers put a single second of thought into the dynamics of Westeros, a land of noble houses where you gotta suck another lord's cock by having kids and marrying off your son to his daughter, under a ruler who can't father children. What happens when Bran dies or if he gets murdered and has no actual lineage? The realm instantly explodes into chaos worse than Dany murdering everyone in King's Landing. gently caress this show.

pretty much. people used to joke it was the tits and dragons show, and it kind of was but at least paid decent lipservice to the type of poo poo you describe. then it just became tits and dragons. finally it became no tits, dying dragons, apocalyptic zombie horde that dies in one episode never to be mentioned again, and inconsequential conclusion of who rules the kingdom populated by a half dozen named characters

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Sam still has a sister and mother, right?

gently caress it who cares, the story is done alleluia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remember when the show writers changed Kings Landing's geography because having its original geography was messing up their amazing story?

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Dany never shat on screen.Overall terrible adaptation of the books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vilas Kraut posted:

Arya discovers Vinland, only to be killed by the Skraelings. RIP

I read that as Skaelings and i imagined a Norscan invasion followed by the Chaos God's bringing the heavy metal Vikings down on Westeros's head.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No but seriously, the show ends with petty kingdoms agreeing to rebuild a sacked babylon instead of immediately spending that money on infrastructure projects in their lands.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The council scene was really bad. I think it was supposed to be funny. But it wasn't. Overall a decent ending. Very very sloppy execution getting there, though.

Didn't like Sansa saying the North is free. Never liked Sansa at all, to be honest. But yeah, I'm sure the other kingdoms were like, sure you can be your own thing well we won't. We'll continue doing what we did before. Uh huh. Bran should attack Winterfell.

I'd watch that.

At least Jon got to pet doggo. Unfortunately Tormund didn't say a thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rember when all of Charlemagnes successor states stuck together and rebuilt Aachen instead of becoming separate countries?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Remember when Highgarden had a huge gently caress-off army and then they just died

Remember when the Dothraki the Unsullied the Vale Knights the everybody and Dorne and all the poo poo and the fleets sailing around at light speed and how bad the continuity of the show was and how normally studios/producers specifically employ people to keep track of that poo poo and say "hey, this won't make sense, need to amend the screenplay" and they just didn't?

Remember that

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think ti would have been more satisfying if Arya killed Dany and Jon killed Arthas. But gotta subvert expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Barudak posted:

Rember when all of Charlemagnes successor states stuck together and rebuilt Aachen instead of becoming separate countries?

Charlemagne didn't have a crippled som to rule things. Feudal lords like following cripples, right?