Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Asher's goodposting on reddit really makes ya think

How many scrublords are there who genuinely think goons are the "bad guys" because some dumbass in NCPL - the modern reincarnation of the likes of BoB - told them so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

RYYSZLA posted:

Asher's goodposting on reddit really makes ya think

How many scrublords are there who genuinely think goons are the "bad guys" because some dumbass in NCPL - the modern reincarnation of the likes of BoB - told them so?

I don't think many people who play eve in 2020 think goons are the bad guys. It's all just memes and narrative by the leadership of the different sides. Line members for the top alliances mostly see through it.

You always see your alliance as the good guys and anyone you are fighting as the bad guys.

DGC773 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 27, 2020

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

NGC773 posted:

I don't think many people who play eve in 2020 think goons are the bad guys.

Just an example. Have you seen the toilet eve threads? It's very 20/20.

Munkeylord fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 27, 2020

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I don't often go on reddit nor do i read long posts.. but I read Asher's and those that he linked in this posts. A good FC and a good poster? To good to be true.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah it is just narrative stuff for fun or to keep people logging in. In this in game in 2020 all the big 0.0 entities are very similar and all draw from the same pool of players. There wasn't a distinct difference like a decade ago, where the big fights were like the Russian blocs fighting the French bloc or new players fighting old players.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah it is just narrative stuff for fun or to keep people logging in. In this in game in 2020 all the big 0.0 entities are very similar and all draw from the same pool of players. There wasn't a distinct difference like a decade ago, where the big fights were like the Russian blocs fighting the French bloc or new players fighting old players.

Pre-2015 you had a lot more dividing players. Now eve is a globalised universe where players can easily move around and experience several different alliances. Anyone who has an alt in Horde, TEST will see that they are actually very similar to the Imperium. Just with slight differences in culture, infrastructure..etc

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

NGC773 posted:

I don't think many people who play eve in 2020 think goons are the bad guys. It's all just memes and narrative by the leadership of the different sides. Line members for the top alliances mostly see through it.

You always see your alliance as the good guys and anyone you are fighting as the bad guys.

I dunno, I think the GoonFear™ is still pretty strong among highsec pubbies.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Asher must be a spy, because no goon makes good posts

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
I make the best posts. Huge posts. Best huge posts anyone has ever seen.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
one of you just ganked me, i was watching TV :(

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

angry armadillo posted:

one of you just ganked me, i was watching TV :(

Post the lossmail!

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

If there's one thing I like about me joining the goon corp in the last day, it's that anytime I have a question, there's a 99% chance that it's answered via info created by everyone.

Now my problem is what to loving start - not because the options haven't been clearly laid out for me in an easy to read format, but because theres so much to work towards and potentially do that it's almost paralyzing.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Caeks posted:

If there's one thing I like about me joining the goon corp in the last day, it's that anytime I have a question, there's a 99% chance that it's answered via info created by everyone.

Now my problem is what to loving start - not because the options haven't been clearly laid out for me in an easy to read format, but because theres so much to work towards and potentially do that it's almost paralyzing.

I guess that depends on what you're trying to do? For making money and just general PVE the 3 easiest ways I know for a new player in 0.0 are 1. Exploration 2. Salvaging 3. Mining in a venture. The first is a little more engaging than the latter two, but the latter two I think new accounts start with all the skills for. For PvP, tackle frigs are the way to go, though you can skill into stuff like t1 ewar or logi frigs pretty quickly too.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Exploration is super lucrative right now. Decrypters are selling for way above estimated market value for whatever reason. I made probably 60m in an hour last night, but I also got lucky with a wormhole just chock full of data sites and I didn't have a single failed hack.

The most I've made in the shortest amount of time has still been salvaging the aftermath of a keepstar battle. That was like 120m in 10 minutes, but again I was super lucky and flew a salvage destroyer up there beforehand.

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 27, 2020

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Did the isk faucet get turned off or can I still make 150mil/hr super ratting

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Goons were always the badguys, going all the back to remedial's dumb whatever and DJ's "we're not here to ruin the game, we're here to ruin your game." Pubbies in other games knew about eve and "those bee guys" who got up to all sorts of things. If I remember goon history it sort of started off positively, but then there was that whole forums things and the su8a-4 camp and goons embraced some sort of cartoon villain identity. Lots of alliances have though - back when I was in PL it was an "eve online terrorist organisation" and honestly showing up and scaring people is kinda fun.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of which olmecca posted a thread about how actually goons are the bad guys (nerf delve btw :qq:)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Did the isk faucet get turned off or can I still make 150mil/hr super ratting

I think it still works but you don't want to be super ratting right now because of the war

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Stereotype posted:

I think it still works but you don't want to be super ratting right now because of the war

Even post war, cyno changes and ehp nerfs mean know what you are doing before you attempt it.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Speaking of which olmecca posted a thread about how actually goons are the bad guys (nerf delve btw :qq:)

I almost hope the goons lose the war and get kicked out of Delve so I can see how long it takes Olmeca to start posting that Delve is actually fine and whatever region the GSF settles in needs to be nerfed. (I’m guessing about half a second.)

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
it's the pubbiest thing every to have "bad guys" as a justification for spacewar like it's a game lmao

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I was watching crayon ron to try and see what happened to a fight I couldn't join when somebody asked him why everybody hates goons. He thought about it for about three minutes then said:

1. Too nationalistic

2. High sec ganking

3. Aryth and forex thing

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I did a reddit analyser on some dude on reddit defending test leaderships racism.

/u/Valkorsia_SPVG

This man hates you with all his spirit, he should probably take a break from space ship games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
space goons literally posting poo poo. gonna reddit about goon. loving game

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Keegers posted:

I did a reddit analyser on some dude on reddit defending test leaderships racism.

/u/Valkorsia_SPVG

This man hates you with all his spirit, he should probably take a break from space ship games.

Space goons post poo poo! Goon bad! Literally gonna lmao! loving posts...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Nationalism?

I have it on good authority that no one has more contempt for their own country more than Goons.

Or is it pride in ‘Goons’? Which is literally the opposite as I have it on good authority that nobody has more contempt for Goons than Goons.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

dialhforhero posted:

Nationalism?

I have it on good authority that no one has more contempt for their own country more than Goons.

Or is it pride in ‘Goons’? Which is literally the opposite as I have it on good authority that nobody has more contempt for Goons than Goons.

loving Goons ruin everything

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
It's me I ruin everything

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

Nationalism?

I believe the context was an us vs. them attitude

Or when mittens says my people, my people and our people.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hexel posted:

I was watching crayon ron to try and see what happened to a fight I couldn't join when somebody asked him why everybody hates goons. He thought about it for about three minutes then said:

3. Aryth and forex thing

Holy poo poo. I'm equally surprised that A) there's someone that's still around who remembers the Forex poo poo, and 2) that someone was actually mad about it. Pretty much everyone I talked to, goon or hostile alike, thought it was awesome. I guess he was one of the people we sold learning implants to endlessly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also link that post I wanna show aryth lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm equally surprised that A) there's someone that's still around who remembers the Forex poo poo, and 2) that someone was actually mad about it. Pretty much everyone I talked to, goon or hostile alike, thought it was awesome. I guess he was one of the people we sold learning implants to endlessly.

I'm guessing Darius is probably still salty about it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CainFortea posted:

I'm guessing Darius is probably still salty about it.

Ah, yeah, fair. That being said, he was the poor bastard who had to fix it, so IMO he has a right to be at least a little angry about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ah, yeah, fair. That being said, he was the poor bastard who had to fix it, so IMO he has a right to be at least a little angry about it.

Eh, he also ignored the warning signs before that change even went live.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Despite being here for all of this, what is that about again? The Aryth Forex thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CainFortea posted:

Eh, he also ignored the warning signs before that change even went live.

As much as it pains me to defend DJ, his job at CCP at the time was security, not game development. The developers hosed it up. He was the one who cleaned up the fallout. Same reason why you can't put the eleventy schfifty five artists that they employ to work on writing code; labor ain't fungible.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As much as it pains me to defend DJ, his job at CCP at the time was security, not game development. The developers hosed it up. He was the one who cleaned up the fallout. Same reason why you can't put the eleventy schfifty five artists that they employ to work on writing code; labor ain't fungible.

I mean, maybe he was told to say it was fine. But he also said "no it'll be fine don't worry about it."

Also he's a dick so I'll poop on him all the time.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Long story VERY short: A couple of goons broke faction warfare in a way that would have destabalized FW permanently if it wasn't unfucked.

Basically you could award yourself faction points to buy stuff from faction stores and sell on the market by killing an alt with a bunch of poo poo in it. THe value of the points awarded was based on the average market value or some poo poo. So folks bought up a bunch of dirt cheap garbage items for pennies, listed them for millions, and then started blowing up haulers full of garbage crap. Then eventually fully charged freighters full of garbage.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 28, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

dialhforhero posted:

Despite being here for all of this, what is that about again? The Aryth Forex thing.

When they retooled faction warfare in 2012, the formulas they used for calculating LP gains made it possible to enter a positive feedback loop. Myself, Aryth, Bloody, Mynnna, and Dramaticus made characters in opposing faction warfare groups, took shitloads of stuff to Yulai, and blew up our own stuff for LP, which we then turned around and spent for an unpopular implant that we'd artificially cooked the LP reward formula on to make it worth more LP than it costed to buy, and did that over and over.

You can read the effortpost aryth made about it here. Easily the peak of Eve Online for me.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also link that post I wanna show aryth lol

It wasn't a post it was a live stream. I suppose you can watch RonUSMC vods from the last two weeks to find it.

He didn't really expound on it, it just reeked of self-righteousness like: how dare those people abuse legit game mechanics for personal benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I remember that clearly, thanks.

Weren’t you guys even altruistic/white hat about it? And they still wanted to permaban you all.