Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

hark posted:

My P1S should be arriving on Thursday or Friday, so should I try to update it and then calibrate on first use? This is my first bambu device

It will force calibration to run when you set it up, it’s a good idea to run it again after updating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

hark posted:

My P1S should be arriving on Thursday or Friday, so should I try to update it and then calibrate on first use? This is my first bambu device

Yup. When I ran the auto-calibrate through the small LCD it does the noise calibration at the end of the calibration process. So just following the setup instructions should get you all the new stuff after firmware update.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, prints awesome, just the software is a dumpster fire.

15hr ish print. I ran it slow since this isn't one of the high speed filaments.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Upon a hair of re-leveling and cleaning the bed (again) things are bringing and sticking like normal. It seems like I just can’t print at night for some reason. I wonder if the hvac is messing with it somehow. Also Octoprint is beyond awesome and it’s a blast to be able to just toss stuff on there from my slicer.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

the newer high speed filaments still have issues with high temps that older PLA has right?

Ive skipped over to PLA+ for general use because I can leave it in the sun or in a hot car and not have to worry about it warping.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 3, 2024

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Whoa, the new P series firmware also finally allows being able to look at the SD card remotely! A pet peeve I've had since Day 1 of owning the P1S!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Whoa, the new P series firmware also finally allows being able to look at the SD card remotely! A pet peeve I've had since Day 1 of owning the P1S!

Yeah, that and adding Skip Object to the P1 series last update are huge.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mrbass21 posted:

New Bambu P series firmware released today with the noise reduction.

Reminder that you have to run calibration in the printer after the firmware upgrade for it to work.

I installed this on my P1P and ran some test prints, and the motors are SO much quieter now.

The part fan still sounds like a jet engine, of course. I'd love a quieter fan, but I guess by nature they have to run at super-high RPM?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
The P1S also finally has the ability to reset the AMS ID numbers. (Previously only the X1 devices could do this, meaning if you got stuck with a stack of AMSes on a P1S in an order like 2->4->3->1, you had to physically rearrange them to get them numbered in order properly)

Edit:
btw, has anyone added an LED strip to their P1S? I saw that several folks on MakerWorld have created various risers that sit between the printer and the glass top for housing the LED strip. (some with venting/repositioning if you normally lift the lid for PLA)

But, the recent official kit doesn't have much in the way of clear pictures or instructions and it almost looks like they taped the LED strip directly to the glass lid? https://ca.store.bambulab.com/products/6500k-white-led-light-strip

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 3, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dumb q that i could probably just try:

would a tiny dish printed out of PLA be water tight? i just want a tiny little bowl for holding water to do gunpla decals and i cannot be assed to go to the store.

https://www.printables.com/model/457159-water-dish-for-reptiles/files

was just gonna scale this down. I'm betting it'll be good enough, but why not post about it while it prints?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yah you should be fine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

why not post about it while it prints?

:hai:

Yes, PLA should hold water. When I very briefly flirted with trying to paint things, I printed a paint pot to hold the acrylic.

Incidentally, I have a lot of unused acrylic paint lying around, if anybody wants some free (probably lovely) acrylics.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

cruft posted:

:hai:

Yes, PLA should hold water. When I very briefly flirted with trying to paint things, I printed a paint pot to hold the acrylic.

Incidentally, I have a lot of unused acrylic paint lying around, if anybody wants some free (probably lovely) acrylics.

What killed it for you? This was where I was going. No art ability, but wanted to learn to paint on 3D prints.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mrbass21 posted:

What killed it for you? This was where I was going. No art ability, but wanted to learn to paint on 3D prints.

I couldn't make the paint stick. I read up and it looks like I needed to spray paint the thing first, and that's when I decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

The mk4 made mid-print filament changes pretty easy, and so far I haven't really needed anything more sophisticated than that.

Related: here's my latest project. I repurposed a $25 toy drum set, and 3D printed the guitars. I also did like four 12-hour days tweaking the microcontroller code so I could get low-latency debounced switch input on an 8MHz 8-bit CPU. I could probably turn around and sell this for over $500, but I just wanted to be able to play LEGO rock band, not deal with customers. Mission accomplished.

It doesn't really show up well in the photo, but I used a modifier on the black guitar to remove the bottom layer, and used an infill pattern to make it so you see different parts of the red layer depending on the angle you're holding the thing. It's a really cool effect, and I didn't have to paint anything.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Hey that looks great. I saw your posts about the debouncing in the Arduino thread. This is way cooler than what I was imagining.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deviant posted:

dumb q that i could probably just try:

would a tiny dish printed out of PLA be water tight? i just want a tiny little bowl for holding water to do gunpla decals and i cannot be assed to go to the store.

https://www.printables.com/model/457159-water-dish-for-reptiles/files

was just gonna scale this down. I'm betting it'll be good enough, but why not post about it while it prints?

For the future, you can improve watertightness by increasing the number of perimeters and solid layers. If you want to be really sure, you can also bump up the extrusion multiplier a couple of percent to overlap the traces more. This will result in a somewhat worse finish but that may not be as important as the performance.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

For the future, you can improve watertightness by increasing the number of perimeters and solid layers. If you want to be really sure, you can also bump up the extrusion multiplier a couple of percent to overlap the traces more. This will result in a somewhat worse finish but that may not be as important as the performance.

walls and layers was exactly what i did and i figured it'd be fine. so far it is.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

cruft posted:

Yes, PLA should hold water.

It does. I made some pots and saucers for my plants and they hold water just fine.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Accidentally posted this in the 3d tabletop thread instead of here...

The last several days the nozzle on my P1P has been getting (for lack of a better term) "dingleberries" of one or two short filament bits stuck to it after printing.

The nozzle-cleaning routine at the beginning of the next print doesn't always completely remove it, and in a couple of cases it has dragged across an in-progress model and made a small gouge, and in one instance completely dislodged the model.

What's the best way to address this? Or does it just happen sometimes? The type/brand of filament doesn't seem to matter -- it's happened with Prusament PLA, IIIDmax PLA+, and Overture Silk PLA.

Despite the minor issues, I'm almost done upgrading the components in my copy of Ark Nova. I redesigned the gray kiosk to print in one piece (and have a splash of color), which is the first modeling I've done beyond "put some text on a thing".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Never even occurred to me that I could print both parts at once. :doh:

The top of the helmet is garbage but that's every helmet print ever done on a fdm printer.

I hate the software, and the phone app sucks balls, but I gotta admit, it does the printing part very well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think I'm ready to take the plunge into the deep end and start modeling out my own stuff. What's the general temp around here on the assorted CAD-like options available for the Mac? I've pretty familiar with Blender so I'm not starting fresh, but I'm also familiar enough with Blender to know that I'd likely be better served with a more purpose build solution than doing things there even though the same result can be accomplished. I suppose the same could be said about Blender and doing my taxes at this point though.

Onshape seems promising, though I don't really like the fact that it's a web app.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Use onshape as training wheels to get the basics of parametric modeling down, and then decide when or if you want to move up to grownup software like solidworks or something imo

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Javid posted:

Use onshape as training wheels to get the basics of parametric modeling down, and then decide when or if you want to move up to grownup software like solidworks or something imo

When you feel like you've mastered onshape, swap over to solidworks so you can pay a lot more money for the same thing, but it looks like poo poo and crashes all the time!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Warbird posted:

I think I'm ready to take the plunge into the deep end and start modeling out my own stuff. What's the general temp around here on the assorted CAD-like options available for the Mac? I've pretty familiar with Blender so I'm not starting fresh, but I'm also familiar enough with Blender to know that I'd likely be better served with a more purpose build solution than doing things there even though the same result can be accomplished. I suppose the same could be said about Blender and doing my taxes at this point though.

Onshape seems promising, though I don't really like the fact that it's a web app.

Onshape is so loving good, truly. I couldn’t recommend a better place to start on learning CAD because their free elearning course is great. It’s totally translatable if you end up going with Fusion or the SOLIDWORKS Makers Offer.

Being on a Mac, you CAD options are pretty much limited to those 3, and the SOLIDWORKS Offer using SOLIDWORKS branded online design applications (which are actually based on CATIA). If you can get SOLIDWORKS running on Parallels, then more power to you!

We’ve got a CAD thread that’s very good, if you want more info I’ll grab a link

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Splode posted:

When you feel like you've mastered onshape, swap over to solidworks so you can pay a lot more money for the same thing, but it looks like poo poo and crashes all the time!

It's important to push through the initial "wah complex interface" shock and learn not to crash the thing with impossible geometry, and you'll start to understand why it has all those extra buttons and menus you don't know what to do with yet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll mark that down to take a look through later, thanks!

Javid posted:

It's important to push through the initial "wah complex interface" shock and learn not to crash the thing with impossible geometry, and you'll start to understand why it has all those extra buttons and menus you don't know what to do with yet

My dude I played Dorf Fort ASCII style and enjoyed the interface. I used blender before they reworked things to be slightly less for insane people. I'm not quite deranged enough to play Auora but I appreciate what they're going for. Bad Interfaces don't scare me.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 4, 2024

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Warbird posted:

My dude I played Dorf Fort ASCII style and enjoyed the interface. I used blender before they reworked things to be slightly less for insane people. I'm not quite deranged enough to play Auora but I appreciate what they're going for. Bad Interfaces don't scare me.

Again, for starting Onshape is great. It’ll even do most things most engineers will ever need. SOLIDWORKS is an upgrade, Fusion 360 a sidegrade unless you need CAM.

If you’re more interested in subdivision surface modeling, similar to sculpting in blender, skip straight to the SOLIDWORKS Makers Offer. If you do need CAM, Fusion is the only one that has that on macOS.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rhino rhino rhino rhino rhino rhino 🦏

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

Rhino rhino rhino rhino rhino rhino 🦏

Okay he is technically correct but Rhino is to CAD as Tarkus is to rock music :colbert:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Warbird posted:

If bad interfaces really don’t scare you, FreeCAD is an option.

(Probably don’t make FreeCAD your first CAD package. It’s got some really bizarre problems that are much better addressed in commercial options for the moment. But it is pretty capable.)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Javid posted:

Spare me the condescension, I've used both. Solidworks does have some advanced features that onshape doesn't, but it also crashes regularly for reasons other than user error.

I wouldn't want to design a car in onshape but I'd certainly prefer it for designing a teapot.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Has there been any significant advancement in resin machines since the Mono X?

Mine is starting to run into use/wear issues and I'm wondering if it's upgrade time rather than repair time.

Not sure what I'd get as an advanced user in 2024 though. Don't want to go smaller build-plate wise, as my primary use case is cosplay props, not miniatures.

Looking at the mono m5s and the phrozen mighty 8k. M3 premium?

M3 max is fun but looks needlessly huge?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 4, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

Mine is starting to run into use/wear issues and I'm wondering if it's upgrade time rather than repair time.

Not sure what I'd get as an advanced user in 2024 though. Don't want to go smaller build-plate wise, as my primary use case is cosplay props, not miniatures.

Besides the 8k resolution, I think quality of life additions like heated vat, auto refilling resin are the big advances.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I believe some of the newer ones have advanced all the way up to the early 2000s and discovered that their WiFi adapters can do more than just stupid poo poo like only use their remote monitoring app.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I've narrowed it down to the m5s and the m3 max, and the m3 max still seems like overkill.

Not a terrible price, all in.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Deviant posted:

Lots of small technically stuff that might not matter a ton for you. For me, the newer ones have a better light source which can lower your later times a bit, and they arrange screen protectors/glass in a better way to protect your LCD from wearing out

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deviant posted:

I've narrowed it down to the m5s and the m3 max, and the m3 max still seems like overkill.

Not a terrible price, all in.

I have.....questions....about that shirt at the bottom.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Lots of small technically stuff that might not matter a ton for you. For me, the newer ones have a better light source which can lower your later times a bit, and they arrange screen protectors/glass in a better way to protect your LCD from wearing out

having had to open my mono x a few times, these are value adds. and my mono x is starting to make a bunch of fan noises and generally not-good-sounding things so I'm thinking rather than throw parts into an old machine it's upgrade time.

bird food bathtub posted:

I have.....questions....about that shirt at the bottom.

i'm getting a lot of questions about the shirt already answered by the shirt

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't have any questions.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s just a front for Falun Dong