Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Sulecrist posted:

Do you think that they will continue to not fill vacancies at all outside of DOJ honors until not only 2014, when I will start applying, but 2020, when I'll start to wind it down? We were discussing upperclass externship choices. I doubt the DOJ will be again what it was thirty years ago, but you're talking about 2011 and I wasn't.

You're taking a significant risk if this is your only plan for employment. I know a lot of people who got the 2 year EOIR clerkships through DOJ honors but then were left to their own devices when the DOJ hiring freeze took effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

blar posted:

You're taking a significant risk if this is your only plan for employment. I know a lot of people who got the 2 year EOIR clerkships through DOJ honors but then were left to their own devices when the DOJ hiring freeze took effect.

This shouldn't be anyone's only plan for employment. That would be asinine.

edit: blar I know you're not trying to imply that it's not asinine, I just don't want any lurkers misunderstanding and thinking that it's not asinine.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 1, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

burf posted:

I was pretty much caught up on my readings until Skyrim came out, and now I'm a month behind with 6 days to go till finals.

Was probably worth it.

I ordered skyrim but it didn't come before I had to go out of town for a loving two week long trial in bumblefuck. I'm so goddamn bored without it :mad:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

I ordered skyrim but it didn't come before I had to go out of town for a loving two week long trial in bumblefuck. I'm so goddamn bored without it :mad:
What the hell are you doing for a two week trial?
Murders in the state don't tend to last more than that.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Should probably base the new thread title around Skyrim.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
We need this thread to seem as non-nerdy and non-inside-jokey and non-alienating as possible so that our self-deceiving friends who are thinking about making bad law school--related decisions are more likely to take it seriously.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

MoFauxHawk posted:

We need this thread to seem as non-nerdy and non-inside-jokey and non-alienating as possible so that our self-deceiving friends who are thinking about making bad law school--related decisions are more likely to take it seriously.

Or we should do the exact opposite so they instead run screaming lest they become us.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

L&LSM #13: wanted a crim job, gave a skyrim job

EDIT: if you say it fast it sounds like "gave this guy"

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Sulecrist posted:

L&LSM #13: wanted a crim job, gave a skyrim job

L&LSM #13: Use Astroglide for Skyrim

Edit: Just saw your edit, whoa, it's true!

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 1, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

What the hell are you doing for a two week trial?
Murders in the state don't tend to last more than that.

well, two weeks of four back to back to back misdos.

Also bush courts are only visited once in a while so we are all well prepared ahead of time.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 1, 2011

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

blar posted:

I feel so dumb for coming into law school aiming for DOJ Honors. I didn't even wind up applying for it this year because of how badly they cut the number of positions. I have a BigLaw gig lined up for this summer so it's definitely not the end of the world but it still seems really silly in retrospect.

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 1, 2011

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Holland Oats posted:

I feel so dumb for coming into law school aiming for DOJ Honors. I didn't even wind up applying for it this year because of how badly they cut the number of positions. I have a BigLaw gig lined up for this summer so it's definitely not the end of the world but it still seems really silly in retrospect.

It's cool - you had the credentials and any other time in the last few decades you would be working 9-5 as a GS-15 earning a pension. The silly people are the ones that think they're going to get a job in international law then work at an immigration firm for $10/hr. I'd just hate to see any other intelligent individuals come into this thread and think the federal government will actually hire more than 20 people out of law school per year.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

blar posted:

It's cool - you had the credentials and any other time in the last few decades you would be working 9-5 as a GS-15 earning a pension. The silly people are the ones that think they're going to get a job in international law then work at an immigration firm for $10/hr. I'd just hate to see any other intelligent individuals come into this thread and think the federal government will actually hire more than 20 people out of law school per year.

Man this sucks. :(

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Anyone have some practice tests for Federal Income Tax?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Sulecrist posted:

Jot down a bunch of random details about a hypothetical setup:

TPs are married with one kid, 9.
TP husband has another kid, 21, from previous spouse.
TP husband's 21-year-old is in college taking 11 credits a semester. Tuition is $10,000.
TPs pay $8,500 mortgage interest and $3,000 property taxes.
TP husband receives a W-2 for $40,000 but has to buy his own uniforms and pays his own gas to get between job sites.
TP wife runs her own at-home daycare center. She earns $30,000 and uses her basement of a three-story house as the day care.
TPs have a brokerage account and they sold 100 shares of XYZ Corp. stock for $1,000.

Etc. etc. Now determine their tax liability without using any forms. And be able to cite to the code sections you relied on.

Do this 10 or 15 times using different facts and scenarios that cover the topics in your class, and you'll be fine. Find a friend in the class and come up with scenarios for each other.

Tax tests are stupid easy.

Edit: I guess this really only works if your tests looked like mine -- 2 or 3 essays with large fact patterns. If your tests look like this, I can't help you.

10-8 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 1, 2011

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

10-8 posted:

Tax tests

A chunk of them are multiple choice (I hope they're as easy as those) and a chunk will be fact patterns. I'm most worried about just forgetting to ask myself stuff--maybe I'll make a table of contents and then make question soup out of the topics. Also, I'm not really sure where to find all of the updated indexed-for-inflation stuff and ACRS schedules, other than the Internet. I hope to God he gives them to us.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I hope so, I have an exam for a 2-credit INcome Tax Accounting exam next wednesday. Only went to two classes all semester, never did reading, just started reading the code/regs.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In general, I hate Lexis. But today I am incredibly thankful for its archive of my searches from the past 30 days. I researched an issue two weeks ago but never drafted a formal memo because it was as mall thing and I figured that we hammered out our approach, but today my boss wants a memo he can take with him to a meeting.

Pull up my archives, boom there are all the cases I found before. Thank god.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

fougera posted:

I hope so, I have an exam for a 2-credit INcome Tax Accounting exam next wednesday. Only went to two classes all semester, never did reading, just started reading the code/regs.

Hahaha Income Tax Accounting. I did zero reading, went to 50% of the lectures, and still ended up with a solid grade.

You want me to try and find the outlines that I used?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Sulecrist posted:

I have a few essays and one with a model answer. Email?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Sulecrist posted:

Also, I'm not really sure where to find all of the updated indexed-for-inflation stuff and ACRS schedules, other than the Internet. I hope to God he gives them to us.
I've never had a tax test where the professor didn't provide the necessary tables. A lot of professors will also just dumb down the tables for the exam. Don't be surprised if you see something on the test that says something like "Assume all earnings taxed at 25%". For the most part, they're trying to test your substantive tax law knowledge, and they don't care about testing mechanical skills like multiplying taxable income by a progressive tax rate. That's for accountants.

Jul 12, 2006
Here's a link to my prof's depreciation tables that we are using this semester:
http://professordougkahn.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/DeprecTables.346191853.doc

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TWiP posted:

Here's a link to my prof's depreciation tables that we are using this semester:
http://professordougkahn.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/DeprecTables.346191853.doc

God I miss Dougie's terrible jokes and casual racism. Best tax prof ever

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Omerta posted:

I have a few essays and one with a model answer. Email?

[redacted]

Thank you so much.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 1, 2011

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

10-8 posted:

Good memories

I loved those tests, though I never did as well as I thought I did (I did well enough).

Jul 12, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

God I miss Dougie's terrible jokes and casual racism. Best tax prof ever

I've got Jeff Kahn; his son, I guess?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Thank you so much.

Sent, you can edit out your email.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

blar posted:

Even though I'm going to work for a firm, I still want to work for the government eventually. What's the best way to position myself to do that? White Collar Defense? Should I eventually work in a DC office?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Holland Oats posted:

Even though I'm going to work for a firm, I still want to work for the government eventually. What's the best way to position myself to do that? White Collar Defense? Should I eventually work in a DC office?
A couple people I know are AUSAs. There are kind of badass. One had a supreme court clerkship. The other just had a district court clerkship, but she was a badass regardless, and worked with several former AUSAs are her prior firm.

So, be a badass.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Holland Oats posted:

Since there really isn't a hiring mechanism for entry level attorneys outside Honors, you need to accumulate as many years of specialized post-bar experience as possible and make government contacts. Go on usajobs and search for Attorney Advisor for a sample of requirements for a publicly posted GS 13-15 attorney position in the excepted service. Since attorneys are excepted service I believe you can pass your resume on to a hiring manager and get hired without a public posting (as opposed to the competitive service) so definitely make those contacts.

Almost forgot, you see a lot of clerkship folks in AUSA positions because they are allowed to apply for Honors again at the end of their clerkship.

GamingOdor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 1, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Holland Oats posted:

There's always state and local. My pension will likely be better than the feds and pay maxes out higher working for the county.
If you're civil, county counsel is basically the most cush job ever. Layoffs are a current threat but eventually you get seniority. Also, a union job so you'll have some representation.
Da or pd is less cush, but you'll likely work 8-5 most days.

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot
I am a self-loathing masochistic fool that is applying to law school. Don't try and talk me out of it; I've wanted to do it for years and this thread and the New York Times are what prevented me from applying sooner (in fact, I had posted in this thread asking for links to send family members who didn't agree with my reluctance). I recognize the risks and downsides associated with it, but I am a special and unique snowflake. And my GPA and LSAT score should get me pretty decent scholarships to all/most of the schools in the region, so atleast I won't be incurring massive debt in the process.

Anyways, I have submmited several applications already without having to acknowledge a screw-up I made as a juvenile. I was arrested and initially charged with a felony but ultimately all charges were dropped and the incident was expunged. The specific circumstances of the event have allowed me to so far check "No" on every application's "Character & Fitness" section. I was explicitly told at the time that the expungement meant I would essentially never have to acknowledge the incident; however, one of the applications I am completing has the following question:

1. As either an adult or a juvenile, have you ever been arrested for, convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to any violation of any law or ordinance, or for the commission of any felony or misdemeanor (including all moving traffic violations)? You must disclose adjudications in which a sentence or judgment has been withheld, deferred, expunged, or the record sealed, regardless of whether you have been told that you need not disclose any such instance.

How the gently caress can they require you to disclose "adjudications in which a sentence or judgment has been withheld, deferred, expunged, or the record sealed, regardless of whether you have been told that you need not disclose any such instance"? Doesn't that make such processes meaningless? And would they be able to learn of the incident if I do not disclose it? Finally, would the bar admission process similarly require me to disclose this information even though it's been expunged? If the answer to the last question is yes, the answers to the rest don't matter and I'll just suck it up and tell them about it.

Sorry for the very long, whiny post and thanks for any input provided, law/Skyrim goons.

Edit: I was never convicted. Arrested, put in juvenile detention for the weekend, released, charges dropped, poo poo expunged.

Edit 2: gently caress it; after reading similar discussion on TLS (I know, I know), I will take the safer path and just disclose it. I will forever believe it to be horseshit, though, and will likely continue to whine about it to friends, family, and the internets, so take that law school!

STAT1C_X fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 1, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If that's the language on the law school application, then you should comply and disclose the information.

I think most bars will ask a similar question, and you'll want to disclose at that point as well.

The truth is that your LSAT and GPA are going to determine whether you get into a particular school. Getting arrested as ajuvenile once, without conviction, and the entire incident is expunged? No law school or bar is going to care, at all - unless you don't disclose it when they asked about it. Then they will slap you hard because they don't like applicants who conceal things.

I wish that wannabe law students who post in this thread that they are a special and unique snowflake (or are otherwise specially qualified to go to law school) were automatically subject to some sort of mod challenge or sanction.

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot

entris posted:

I wish that wannabe law students who post in this thread that they are a special and unique snowflake (or are otherwise specially qualified to go to law school) were automatically subject to some sort of mod challenge or sanction.

It was a joke, mocking myself and my decision to attend law school, but okay!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
If you lie on your law school application the state bar will find out. And then they will gently caress your pink unblemished rear end in a top hat with such tender, loving precision that you will realize you have never been hosed like this before

And there is no upside to lying. A juvenile arrest is not going to harm your application in any way. Murderers get admitted to law school for christ's sake, don't lie about your dumb MIP or whatever that probably everyone else in your class has too. If it's not a MIP and you were charged with child rape or something spin it into how through hard work you turned your life around blah blah blah. Or just say 'I was young and stupid"

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you lie on your law school application the state bar will find out. And then they will gently caress your pink unblemished rear end in a top hat with such tender, loving precision that you will realize you have never been hosed like this before

And there is no upside to lying. A juvenile arrest is not going to harm your application in any way. Murderers get admitted to law school for christ's sake, don't lie about your dumb MIP or whatever that probably everyone else in your class has too. If it's not a MIP and you were charged with child rape or something spin it into how through hard work you turned your life around blah blah blah. Or just say 'I was young and stupid"

I fully expect my rear end in a top hat to be black, blue, and blemished by the time I get out of law school. Isn't that supposed to be the takeaway of this thread?

And I am taking both courses of action in my acknowledgement (I was young and stupid AND I turned my life around through hard work, huzzah).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

so you admit you are a child rapist

LAWYER'D

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

STAT1C_X posted:

I fully expect my rear end in a top hat to be black, blue, and blemished by the time I get out of law school. Isn't that supposed to be the takeaway of this thread?
The takeaway of this thread is to not go to law school, not to go while patting yourself on the back for how mature and heroic you are for committing to a course of action you know will be unpleasant and how very self-aware you are about it

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Holland Oats posted:

I only know one AUSA. He went Biglaw, IP 3 years --> Prosecutor, white collar (don't know how long) --> AUSA. He's been an AUSA for about 1.5 years, so it's not like he got it in easy times. He's also a URM -- I don't know if that makes a difference in federal hiring.

STAT1C_X posted:

1. As either an adult or a juvenile, have you ever been arrested for, convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to any violation of any law or ordinance, or for the commission of any felony or misdemeanor (including all moving traffic violations)? You must disclose adjudications in which a sentence or judgment has been withheld, deferred, expunged, or the record sealed, regardless of whether you have been told that you need not disclose any such instance.

There is only one answer: disclose it. People have done waaaaaay worse things than whatever you did, disclosed it, and been fine. People have done waaaaaaaay less worse things, not disclosed it, and gotten goatse'd by C&F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot

Linguica posted:

The takeaway of this thread is to not go to law school, not to go while patting yourself on the back for how mature and heroic you are for committing to a course of action you know will be unpleasant and how very self-aware you are about it

I don't think there is anything mature and heroic about it, I acknowledge that I am probably making a bad decision but it's what I want to do and so I really am probably stupid. So, self-aware, maybe, but the rest, not so much. Goddrat some of you are some gloomy, hateful people.

Thanks, Omerta and Soothing Vapors.