Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

w00tazn posted:

I just upgraded to an Edgerouter Lite 3, US-8-60W POE Switch, and AC Pro.

Is there a reason why I would want to run UNMS for this router over the stock EdgeOS interface? I already have a pi 3 running pihole/unifi so I'm curious if I should bother setting up docker to play around with UNMS.

Not really if you're only managing one device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

KKKLIP ART posted:

just turn off the routers built in Wifi

I know this is probably a dumb question but it's fitting since I am dumb about network gear: does this mean simply turning off the radios for each antenna in the router's settings, or do I have to do something more involved?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

w00tazn posted:

I just upgraded to an Edgerouter Lite 3, US-8-60W POE Switch, and AC Pro.

Is there a reason why I would want to run UNMS for this router over the stock EdgeOS interface? I already have a pi 3 running pihole/unifi so I'm curious if I should bother setting up docker to play around with UNMS.

UNMS doesn't replace it, it's just a remote management system.

I've been really happy with UNMS, I'm running it on the same machine as my Unifi controller. Its worth noting its still in Beta.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Listerine posted:

I know this is probably a dumb question but it's fitting since I am dumb about network gear: does this mean simply turning off the radios for each antenna in the router's settings, or do I have to do something more involved?

I would assume with most routers it’s as simple as logging into the admin portal and do exactly what you are describing. I know o my old Archer C7 I could turn off 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

KKKLIP ART posted:

I would assume with most routers it’s as simple as logging into the admin portal and do exactly what you are describing. I know o my old Archer C7 I could turn off 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both.

Thanks, it seemed to work fine for me doing that.

Another dumb question about the AC Pro; when my devices connect, does it automatically put the device on the 2.4 or 5G band based on which signal connection is stronger for the device, or do I have to configure each device separately?

edit- ok two questions actually. I'm currently using the built in wifi antenna on my Asrock X399 Taichi motherboard. Should I be getting a separate wifi card with an antenna, if only to be able to move the antenna around for better reception? This is my first onboard wifi and I don't know how well they work.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 9, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Listerine posted:

Thanks, it seemed to work fine for me doing that.

Another dumb question about the AC Pro; when my devices connect, does it automatically put the device on the 2.4 or 5G band based on which signal connection is stronger for the device, or do I have to configure each device separately?

edit- ok two questions actually. I'm currently using the built in wifi antenna on my Asrock X399 Taichi motherboard. Should I be getting a separate wifi card with an antenna, if only to be able to move the antenna around for better reception? This is my first onboard wifi and I don't know how well they work.

It shuffles your devices to whatever frequency is best depending on a few things, with a preference to be on 5ghz. I've actually never seen it kick one of my 5GHz devices off that band and shuffle it to 2.4. As for question 2, I'm not really sure about the state of either USB or PCI based wifi card, though I'd assume that Intel stuff probably works best. Looks like your Taichi has Intel based 802.11ac, which is great. An external antenna would help reception for sure though.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
My parents recently moved to a new house and I came by to help them unpack and do other house-moving activities. I figured I'd take a look at the network setup that the previous owners were using.

A hub.

So now I'm forming a plan to get this network up to date. Figure I'd share it here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

- Comcast/xfinity approved cable modem so they can return the leased one. They're currently subscribed to a 150m plan but there are gigabit plans available for an additional 40$/month, so to "future-proof" them I'm planning on going for the Netgear Nighthawk (CM1150V) - yes they're using a landline.
- Router. I'm considering the USG because it's something I'm familiar with (set up & managed a bunch at work, have some UniFi equipment at my apartment) and I'll be able to access the config remotely should something need to be changed. I've got the controller installed on a VPS for my apartment network, so I'll just create another site and add my parent's network to this.
- 16 port gigabit switch. It'd be fun to go UniFi for more manageability, but it's hard to justify the 100%+ price increase over an unmanaged switch that will perform just as well for the type of activity my parents & brother will be doing on the LAN. Currently looking at this TP-Link 16 port unmanaged switch, used it at their old house and had no complaints.

My parents have already set up their Orbi mesh WiFi system and they're happy with the range so I won't mess with that (for now).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm about to set up my first ever Ubiquiti setup with more than one access point, specifically two AC Lites and an ER-X PoE. Idea is that the two AC Lites go on either end of a fairly long office, although I can't even guarantee I'll need two.

Any tips for doing this?

Save that baby, makes packet sniffing easy, don't have to go out and buy some fancy managed switch with a mirror port. :v:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Actuarial Fables posted:

- Router. I'm considering the USG because it's something I'm familiar with (set up & managed a bunch at work, have some UniFi equipment at my apartment) and I'll be able to access the config remotely should something need to be changed. I've got the controller installed on a VPS for my apartment network, so I'll just create another site and add my parent's network to this.

My parents have already set up their Orbi mesh WiFi system and they're happy with the range so I won't mess with that (for now).

If you are going to do a mixed brand/model network, why going for a usg rather than use the integrated orbi routing features? I have a usg at home and i'm struggling to see anything that a orbi setup couldn't do in a home user enviroment(as a matter of fact i think filtering might be better on orbi).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 10, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I upgraded PFsense 2.4.3 to 2.4.4 and it broke IPv6 really good. Not so impressed with whatever the hell is wrong.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I have a question that doesn’t seem to make sense. My home network seems to hate HBO GO. When it finishes a movie or sometimes browses too long, the internet stops. Doesn’t happen for Amazon or Netflix. The only way to fix it is to to the modem and WiFi router off and on. I’ve replaced the modem, same problem. Could it be the WiFi router? Something weird with my ISP? It makes no sense, I feel like a boomer trying to google “internet not working” here.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

SlowBloke posted:

If you are going to do a mixed brand/model network, why going for a usg rather than use the integrated orbi routing features? I have a usg at home and i'm struggling to see anything that a orbi setup couldn't do in a home user enviroment(as a matter of fact i think filtering might be better on orbi).

That's a good point. I didn't realize that the Orbi was a router (figured it was a souped-up AP), so we'll skip the USG for now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poisonpill posted:

I have a question that doesn’t seem to make sense. My home network seems to hate HBO GO. When it finishes a movie or sometimes browses too long, the internet stops. Doesn’t happen for Amazon or Netflix. The only way to fix it is to to the modem and WiFi router off and on. I’ve replaced the modem, same problem. Could it be the WiFi router? Something weird with my ISP? It makes no sense, I feel like a boomer trying to google “internet not working” here.

Can you still ping to the router when this all stops working?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’ll try that next time it stops... would I just pull up a console and type “ping (the default gateway)”?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

poisonpill posted:

I’ll try that next time it stops... would I just pull up a console and type “ping (the default gateway)”?

When you're having internet issues bring up two console sessions. On one, ping something on the internet like your DNS servers or your ISP's DNS servers. Then ping your default gateway. If your default gateway is good, then it's likely not your router or your network. At that point it may be your modem, if that is a separate device, or an issue with your ISP. Do a continuous ping so you don't have to keep running the command.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Thank you! I will report back. If it isn’t the modem, should I call my ISP?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poisonpill posted:

Does it eventually fix itself after say 10 minutes or so?

I don't know how the HBO GO client works, but the only time I've seen something like this is when the NAT table of a router gets completely full, everything just kinda shits itself until it clears out. Generally only see it when torrenting things, or online games that go out and connect to hundreds of servers at once. It also is less common that it was say 10 years ago since consumer router hardware has gotten much better. Back in the day when the table could only handle 512 or 1024 sessions it was more common.

I don't know what sort of router you have, but try looking in the settings for any sort of NAT options, and try dropping the timeout or see if it shows how many sessions are in the table. When the internet drops you should still be able to load the settings screen of the router. If you can't let us know.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 10, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Thank you! I will report back. If it isn’t the modem, should I call my ISP?

If your default gateway is responding but the internet is not, yes, it would be a good time to call your ISP. Depending on your modem situation the problem may still be on your side. Could be an issue with the modem itself, could be an issue with the wiring from the modem to your network, could be an issue with the physical cabling coming into your house, could be an issue with one of their devices that provide service, etc. They will help (terribly) figure that out.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
I'm looking to add an outdoor AP to my home and am considering the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Mesh AP (a.k.a. UAP-AC-M) because I'm overall satisfied with the small ubiquiti setup I've had deployed for a while now.

Questions:
1. Is the UAP-AC-M alright? Soliciting opinions and alternatives.
2. Outdoor rated POE CAT-6 recommends? I'll terminate it myself.
3. Other recommended gear like an ethernet surge protector?

Thanks!

Alzabo fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 12, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Three 101 questions:

1. I’m looking at building a basic-bitch unifi network for my tiny-rear end 2BR apartment (with all of three users) is this about right for a buy list?
    Security Gateway (this can also do DHCP right?)
    Switch 8 for MORE PORTS*
    nanoHD WAP (for Wireless)

2. Do I need a cloud key? What value would it add/what would the use-case be?

3. Would I be better off getting an edge router 10x in place of the switch and the gateway?

*: I’m going to build a couple of PiHoles for DNS, plus a NAS, plus an appleTV and possibly a laptop dock so I need more holes to plug-in.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 13, 2019

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just picked up a mikrotik HEX router to complement my uap-lr and it’s amazing. Cheap and powerful. It requires a little more setup than a netgear router but for a nerd it’s easy enough. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 13, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Schadenboner posted:

Three 101 questions:

1. I’m looking at building a basic-bitch unifi network for my tiny-rear end 2BR apartment (with all of three users) is this about right for a buy list?
    Switch 8 for MORE PORTS*

3. Would I be better off getting an edge router 10x in place of the switch and the gateway?

*: I’m going to build a couple of PiHoles for DNS, plus a NAS, plus an appleTV and possibly a laptop dock so I need more holes to plug-in.

The USG is basically a router that works with the ubiquiti controller system. A switch makes sense if you need the ports. I'd look at the AC Lite for a three person apartment, you probably don't need more than that. If you like the Ubiquiti controller stuff with all the nicely laid out screens and all of the data than you'd probably want to get the cloud key to act as an always-on server. You could also go with a less expensive router and no cloud key and just use the ubiquiti controller to set up whichever WAP you get.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

Three 101 questions:

Switch 8 for MORE PORTS*

1. I'd drop down to the AP-AC-Lite or Pro, but otherwise looks good if you want to be completely in the UniFi ecosystem (yes the USG does DHCP). If you don't think you'll be needing the features of a Managed switch (VLANS, link aggregation, dhcp snooping, usage statistics per-port), you could drop down to a cheaper unmanaged switch.

2. The cloud key is a dedicated device to run the UniFi Controller software, which is required to configure and manage the UniFi devices. You can run the controller software on other devices though, like your PC or a small linux VM (I have mine hosted on a VPS in ~the cloud~). The value in the dedicated device is that even if you really mess up all your computers and servers, the UniFi controller won't be affected since it's on a device you don't use for anything other than managing the network.

3. This really comes down to how comfortable you are at configuring thing through a command-line interface, how knowledgeable you are at getting networks configured, and if you don't see the need of having your router and switch be separate devices. I find the UniFi devices to be a lot more consumer friendly than the EdgeRouter series, but the EdgeRouters aren't limited by the functions of a controller.

e. Do you have a budget that you're trying to hit? What's your current setup, and why are you looking to change?

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 13, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Actuarial Fables posted:

1. I'd drop down to the AP-AC-Lite or Pro, but otherwise looks good if you want to be completely in the UniFi ecosystem (yes the USG does DHCP). If you don't think you'll be needing the features of a Managed switch (VLANS, link aggregation, dhcp snooping, usage statistics per-port), you could drop down to a cheaper unmanaged switch.

2. The cloud key is a dedicated device to run the UniFi Controller software, which is required to configure and manage the UniFi devices. You can run the controller software on other devices though, like your PC or a small linux VM (I have mine hosted on a VPS in ~the cloud~). The value in the dedicated device is that even if you really mess up all your computers and servers, the UniFi controller won't be affected since it's on a device you don't use for anything other than managing the network.

3. This really comes down to how comfortable you are at configuring thing through a command-line interface, how knowledgeable you are at getting networks configured, and if you don't see the need of having your router and switch be separate devices. I find the UniFi devices to be a lot more consumer friendly than the EdgeRouter series, but the EdgeRouters aren't limited by the functions of a controller.

e. Do you have a budget that you're trying to hit? What's your current setup, and why are you looking to change?

Our current setup is a spectrum modem/router and it’s just awful. Budget is probably 600 (...ish) but that has to include an el cheapo Netgear CM500 and a couple of B+ kits for the PiHoles so really 400ish (“ish” means it can probably be 480 but probably can’t be 530).

Maybe I should just wait for the UDM?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 13, 2019

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Schadenboner posted:

Our current setup is a spectrum modem/router and it’s just awful. Budget is probably 600 (...ish) but that has to include an el cheapo Netgear CM500 and a couple of B+ kits for the PiHoles so really 400ish (“ish” means it can probably be 480 but probably can’t be 530).

Maybe I should just wait for the UDM?

You can get by with a dumb switch unless you need to do vlan tagging or something more fancy.

Same with the USG, the edge router X + a dumb switch + UAP lite or pro or whatever is total like $200 and does what you're asking. You lose the centralized controls, but save a fair bit.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The Unifi Dream Machine (and other home wireless routers) runs into the issue that the WiFi is integrated to the router, so you won't always be able to place it where the WiFi would reach maximum coverage.

Is there a feature of the UniFi devices that you specifically need? A typical home router (Archer C9) will provide the same number of switch ports that the UDM provides, you can add on a 30$ unmanaged 8-port gigabit switch to it if you need more ports, and you can buy a AP-AC-Lite later if the WiFi coverage isn't good enough where it sits.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Comatoast posted:

I just picked up a mikrotik HEX router to complement my uap-lr and it’s amazing. Cheap and powerful. It requires a little more setup than a netgear router but for a nerd it’s easy enough. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

What are you doing with a Mikrotik on a home network that's so appealing? They're less performance than Edgerouter-lites, right?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 13, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Actuarial Fables posted:

Is there a feature of the UniFi devices that you specifically need? A typical home router (Archer C9) will provide the same number of switch ports that the UDM provides, you can add on a 30$ unmanaged 8-port gigabit switch to it if you need more ports, and you can buy a AP-AC-Lite later if the WiFi coverage isn't good enough where it sits.

I spent a short period of time working for Milwaukee’s Literal Worst MSP and the only good thing to come out of it was I got to see a lot of Unifi stuff and was impressed. I want to “step up our game” (as the kids say these days) w/r/t our network at home and it seems like as good an option as any?

:shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Twerk from Home posted:

What are you doing with a Mikrotik on a home network that's so appealing? They're less performance that Edgerouter-lites, right?

I'm so torn on Mikrotik because on paper they make a single box that can do some really advanced routing while also having an access point built in, but on the other hand the wireless has a history of being poo poo and they don't have the drivers in the kernel needed to make it any better.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

I spent a short period of time working for Milwaukee’s Literal Worst MSP and the only good thing to come out of it was I got to see a lot of Unifi stuff and was impressed. I want to “step up our game” (as the kids say these days) w/r/t our network at home and it seems like as good an option as any?

:shrug:

Fair enough! Not going to tell you to give up on your dreams, just wanted to make sure you weren't getting into something you really didn't need.

There's no ETA for when the UDM is getting out of early access, and the enhanced hardware that it provides is unlikely to be fully utilized by your 3-user environment, so I'd say go for the USG + US-8-60W + AP-AC-Lite.

(If you get the newest raspberry PIs, you can buy PoE HATs and power them directly from the switch!)

e. You could even run the UniFi controller off one of the PIs

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 13, 2019

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

My parents bought an upgraded cable package (or something. have to investigate further) and Spectrum sent them a new internet modem but also a wifi router, when before they had not used a router sent from the cable company but a Linksys EA4500 I set up a few years ago. The router's model number is RAC2V1K. Is this a better router than the old one? Also is this being rented from the company at an extra charge or does that work the same as the modem/cable box? I've never used a router provided by the ISP so I don't know

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 14, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

icantfindaname posted:

My parents bought an upgraded cable package (or something. have to investigate further) and Spectrum sent them a new internet modem but also a wifi router, when before they had not used a router sent from the cable company but a Linksys EA4500 I set up a few years ago. The router's model number is 2AC2V1K. Is this a better router than the old one? Also is this being rented from the company at an extra charge or does that work the same as the modem/cable box? I've never used a router provided by the ISP so I don't know

My search isn't pulling up any router with that number - that's not the serial number, right?

At least in my area, Spectrum charges a monthly fee for the provided WiFi router. It was an option I had to opt-in for while signing up online.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Actuarial Fables posted:

My search isn't pulling up any router with that number - that's not the serial number, right?

At least in my area, Spectrum charges a monthly fee for the provided WiFi router. It was an option I had to opt-in for while signing up online.

Whoops, it's RAC2V1K, sorry

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Actuarial Fables posted:

Very generally the combo units from providers are alright for basic internet and wifi stuff (not great but not stellar, they've improved in the last five years) because they don't want to have to field too many calls about them. That said, they're generally worse than buying your own setup if you can because the monthly rental fees end up costing far more than buying your own stuff within a year or two. That said, some ISPs that have their own bundles with phone service, tv, alarm system, etc, make it difficult to replace their modem due to needing it to work with their system so there may not be a lot of choices based on what they signed up for. I'd investigate what they've gotten for their service and then see what the provider's website says about buying your own equipment to match. There's usually a list of approved modems you can look at, then I'd come back to the thread to see if anyone has experience with what the ISP supports.

edit: quoted the wrong post

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

icantfindaname posted:

Whoops, it's RAC2V1K, sorry

From what I've been able to find, the RAC2V1K is quite a bit better than the EA4500 - most importantly, the ISP provided router is capable of a more modern WiFi communication (802.11ac), which should provide faster speeds (assuming WiFi was a bottleneck previously).

I'd check the bill or call in to support to see if they're being charged for the router anyways.

Don't worry, I didn't actually opt-in for their equipment :)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh yikes, apparently the UDM can’t be managed except by the onboard controller?

So much for my dream of installing one at my dad’s and shipping one to my sisters and making an annual Tech Support As A Service my yearly gift.

:sigh:

(I mean, I already have to do support for them but if I can point to a sexy white box-thing I shipped to them it’s easier to have that “count”?)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 14, 2019

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

What are you doing with a Mikrotik on a home network that's so appealing? They're less performance than Edgerouter-lites, right?

It's just doing basic router/firewall stuff with one port forward. The appeal was that it costs $53 and it is good enough for my needs. My understanding is that it's the same hardware that's in the edgerouter x. I've no reason that I went with it over the ubiquit gear other than wanting to fool around.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 14, 2019

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Narrator: It was DNS.

Is cloudflared known to stop working occasionally until it's updated? I just had DNS crap out on my Pihole, even after a reboot, which is usual for me.

I use cloudflared locally to force DNS over HTTPS, and it looked like that was the bit that stopped working right until I did an update of it via SSH. I only set that bit up a month ago - is this just coincidence or do they change the protocol every so often or something?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Can I ask here about internet providers in the US? I'm in AZ.
I just had someone knock on the door selling AT&T fiber, but she took the hint and left because I was wrestling 3 screaming toddlers. Said she'd be back tomorrow, and didn't have any literature to leave, which seems kinda weird.
I definitely don't have a fiber drop to my house. All the coverage maps I see show just two decent providers (Cox cable which is ehhh and Centurylink DSL which is lolbad)

There are some parts of my town that have Centurylink FTTH, and about 10% of the houses in my neighborhood have access according to the map at broadbandnow.com. This sounds scammy. Is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Can I ask here about internet providers in the US? I'm in AZ.
I just had someone knock on the door selling AT&T fiber, but she took the hint and left because I was wrestling 3 screaming toddlers. Said she'd be back tomorrow, and didn't have any literature to leave, which seems kinda weird.
I definitely don't have a fiber drop to my house. All the coverage maps I see show just two decent providers (Cox cable which is ehhh and Centurylink DSL which is lolbad)

There are some parts of my town that have Centurylink FTTH, and about 10% of the houses in my neighborhood have access according to the map at broadbandnow.com. This sounds scammy. Is it?

Yeah but you could also call AT&T or check on their website to see if its legit