Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I spent half an hour of my day today writing, editing, and reediting an email, struggling to find effective language that didn't outright call a user an idiot.

I have a ticket for this laptop. The machine has "problems," but I have no idea what they are. The user is never in the office and frequently doesn't answer emails. There is apparently a second computer, not mentioned in the ticket, that also has problems, the details of which remain a mystery as well.

This ticket and user belong to one of my people at another site, but they're contacting me (I'm the team lead) because he's failed to resolve it. They want it imaged; he's imaged it twice. This clearly not having helped, he wanted to send it to the vendor, because now my people aren't allowed to perform hardware service on these things for some political reasons that don't bear explaining. They said no, they'd just work through it. Then a few days passed and they put in a ticket asking to have it reimaged again. Along the way, as always, the helpdesk has introduced a delay and garbled the problem description beyond intelligibility.

They are upset that this is taking so long to resolve, despite the fact that they won't let my guy do the thing necessary to fix it, which he has correctly identified. Even getting details on the issues is like pulling teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

seadweller posted:

They any good? I did the webinar and they didn't send it as someone else at my company had already claimed one - nice of them to let me sit through the talk and get all excited though.

Pretty decent, though not suited to what I want to do in work, so it's sitting in my living room due to having a better wireless antenna than the ISP-provided shitbox.

I might piss about with guest networks or whatever, but once the licence expires I'm just gonna throw OpenWRT on it.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Heh.

I found out recently that after that business went under (go figure), the one he founded collapsed a couple years after that, then he wound up a project manager for T-Mobile for a year. Something tells me their projects went WAY more smoothly after he left.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

In an effort to facilitate better communication with our customers, an edict has been given that every time a case has remained open for two days FOR WHATEVER REASON (Pending elevations, no spare parts available, customer on holiday etc) we are to update the customer on what's going on.
We are no longer allowed to do anything through email except if we need to send links or attachments or receive them.

So.
If a customer calls on and wants service some time next week I'm supposed to call every other day and remind them why the service hasn't been done yet.
Because they asked us to post pone it.

Another minor issue, some cases shouldn't be older than two days. This is not an issue.
We aren't allowed to close cases that the customer has reported as resolved until "a few days" after they have been reported as resolved.

I hope some of you want to be spammed with the most inane calls from tech support every two days!
"This is OB from X computers, remember that service you ordered that you wanted done a week from now? Just calling to remind you, you wanted it two weeks from now, so we haven't sent the technician yet!"

I'm not doing this, gently caress it, they can fire my rear end if they want this is loving insane, especially since we can barely handle the incoming calls as it is.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Email management chat: I have the inbox and one other folder, the "Cover your arse" folder. Everytime I think an email I send, or receive, could very well save my job, I chuck them in there.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

m.hache posted:

Iphone email setups is loving attrocious when setting up pop/imap. You figured by now they would have figured out how to make it work but every time it just freezes up when searching for SSL smtp connections.

We don't use pop in here thank god but another business I help out does.

Tying in with this, we recently found out that on the newer versions of iOS, if someone has both their Exchange account and an iCloud account created, they'll fight with each other until you turn off iCloud, set up Exchange, then re-enable iCloud. It's the stupidest poo poo and one of my coworkers ran into it and spent a good hour trying to get an Exchange account working after someone upgraded to the newest iOS.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Jesus Christ, I have just seen the worst helpdesk ticket I have ever seen.

It came in without a user name on it - classed as a "New Employee," which is traditionally used only for new hires, where the ticket will contain all the necessary details.

This ticket reads, verbatim: “No information on who this is from. Or what needs to be done exactly. Referring up to make sure if there is a way to locate whoever sent this in gets the assistance they need. I do not even know which office to really send this to.”

There is a single line from a spam filter message, which is not our spam filter, containing an e-mail address that is in no way, shape or form associated with the firm. There is no other information.

In a gigantic fit of pique that's going to bite me in the rear end tomorrow, I escalated it back to the useless loving idiots on the Helpdesk with a single note: GATHER MORE INFORMATION.

Like, a loving user name.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We had a ticket escalated from the call center a few weeks ago.

It was basically:

Business customer's MSP called in regarding customer unable to connect to VPN into his office from home. Traceroutes in screenshot form below:

'C:\Users\Customer\Pictures\tracerout1.jpg'
'C:\Users\Customer\Pictures\tracerout2.jpg'

What killed us wasn't the fact that this was done. If you don't know poo poo about computers, fine, it happens, you don't understand how local storage works vs. the internet. We've all seen worse. What got us was that it

1) got past the customer
2) got past the customer's MSP
3) got past our call center
4) got past the department that filters out the stupid poo poo out the stupid poo poo from the call center before it hits us.

The guy who got the ticket in my department didn't even grace the ticket with an update. He walked over to department #4 and called them idiots.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Email management chat: I have the inbox and one other folder, the "Cover your arse" folder. Everytime I think an email I send, or receive, could very well save my job, I chuck them in there.

I hear that. I have 50GB of space for my mail account so it all lives on the server. As I decommission a cabinet folder (I just move it under a folder called "old"), I also create a PST of just that folder and keep it on my portable drive. It keeps them nice and lean and I can open each one quickly and easily in another outlook client.I also have a PST that I overwrite of my current "active" cabinet and action folders.

It's just piece of mind in case of dispute and "oops, the mail server ate all of your email. Yes, all of it. And no, uh..., no backups. Nope. None here, sorry"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

Tying in with this, we recently found out that on the newer versions of iOS, if someone has both their Exchange account and an iCloud account created, they'll fight with each other until you turn off iCloud, set up Exchange, then re-enable iCloud. It's the stupidest poo poo and one of my coworkers ran into it and spent a good hour trying to get an Exchange account working after someone upgraded to the newest iOS.

Huh. I never had that issue. Do you use the Exchange ActiveSync connection or just POP/IMAP? I use the Exchange connector and didn't have any issues. In fact I just deleted my old account and created the new one for the new server about two weeks after 8 dropped. The iCloud account just sat there humming merrily away.

The thing that pisses me off is that at times it will randomly decide which "from" it wants to use which can be a pain.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

:yotj:

A small yotj for me. The small business I work for is being acquired (just myself and my boss). Small bump in pay for me, training is strongly encouraged at the new place. I think making progress on relevant certificates will be part of the performance criteria. Better than the current of sure would be nice to have the time and money to get us more training. Going from being part of a small company who supply IT services to joining a larger company who offer IT services as a small sideline from their main business.

Certainly better scope for advancing than my current position, but time will tell how it will play out as we have seen from others in these threads.

Makes the Christmas-New Year break eventful, closing down the small two person shop just prior to Christmas, then starting at the new place in the new year. Something breaks in between? welp too bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

organburner posted:

In an effort to facilitate better communication with our customers, an edict has been given that every time a case has remained open for two days FOR WHATEVER REASON (Pending elevations, no spare parts available, customer on holiday etc) we are to update the customer on what's going on.
We are no longer allowed to do anything through email except if we need to send links or attachments or receive them.

So.
If a customer calls on and wants service some time next week I'm supposed to call every other day and remind them why the service hasn't been done yet.
Because they asked us to post pone it.

Another minor issue, some cases shouldn't be older than two days. This is not an issue.
We aren't allowed to close cases that the customer has reported as resolved until "a few days" after they have been reported as resolved.

I hope some of you want to be spammed with the most inane calls from tech support every two days!
"This is OB from X computers, remember that service you ordered that you wanted done a week from now? Just calling to remind you, you wanted it two weeks from now, so we haven't sent the technician yet!"

I'm not doing this, gently caress it, they can fire my rear end if they want this is loving insane, especially since we can barely handle the incoming calls as it is.

This was me a couple of weeks ago. Everyone laughed after the meeting and said "gently caress that" and a few weeks later of us not doing it nothing has come of it.

Its a dumb policy and I don't understand why managers want us to do it. Being on talking terms with customers is nice but calling every day to tell them the same thing goes from endearing to "oh my god gently caress off" so fast.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Currently, at work:

The entire building (and a huge swath of the city) is without power. Except for the IT area/server room. Sometimes, it's good to be the sysadmin.

*sips tea made by generator power* :smugdog:

Edit: The EVP is camping out in my office now. She got to see the standing desk in action, and thinks it's a great idea. :unsmith:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 9, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sirotan posted:

Currently, at work:

The entire building (and a huge swath of the city) is without power. Except for the IT area/server room. Sometimes, it's good to be the sysadmin.

Edit: The EVP is camping out in my office now. She got to see the standing desk in action, and thinks it's a great idea. :unsmith:

This picture looks like something out of a horror game. That shadow down there is going to kill me very violently. :ohdear:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RadicalR posted:

This picture looks like something out of a horror game. That shadow down there is going to kill me very violently. :ohdear:

A ticket came in: user was violently dismembered in the hallway, please arrange for cleaning.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sirotan posted:

Currently, at work:

:ohdear:

Reminds me of Sandy when our entire building lost power, and the generator responsible for the building's facilities poo poo the bed. Luckily the rest of the generators that were responsible for the important systems were fine, so there was no customer impact.

Our office had no windows, so for 16 hours we worked nonstop in a dark room lit only by our computer monitors. Hallways were dark, bathrooms were dark, one working sink in the entire building.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Shouldn't those emergency lights be on?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

They are on, you just can't see the light because of the myrk.
:ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inspector_666 posted:

They just run on battery and I think they're out of juice. Power has been out since 5:15am.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sirotan posted:

They just run on battery and I think they're out of juice. Power has been out since 5:15am.

So, you don't have any safely-lit exit routes in case of fire?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

spog posted:

Obviously if there was a fire the path would be lit just fine :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, the purpose of those things is to get everyone out safely. If the power is out long enough for the batteries to die, and people are still inside, someone has hosed up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spog posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would assume they would light the exits no problem if there was a sudden fire, but you're right, anyone who has sat around in an unpowered building might have a problem getting out if a fire just suddenly breaks out 4 hours later.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sirotan posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would assume they would light the exits no problem if there was a sudden fire, but you're right, anyone who has sat around in an unpowered building might have a problem getting out if a fire just suddenly breaks out 4 hours later.

If a fire broke out, just use the fire suppression system in the server room. Problem solved.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

You mean a fire that breaks out hours after power is initially lost and people should have evacuated?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

They are supposed to light up when the power goes out. If they aren't on now, then they aren't going to be working when there's a fire.

Volmarias posted:

You mean a fire that breaks out hours after power is initially lost and people should have evacuated?

Yes, they should have been evacuated, instead of moving to the server room.

Not all fire comes with a plug.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah you can get a lot of information that way, but if the camera is taped over, you won't ever get to see me or anyone else in the room walking by without clothes on.

Renegret posted:

People are uncomfortable with the idea that maybe, JUST MAYBE, someone is watching them masturbate.

There, I acknowledged the elephant in the room.

Specifcally if my granny video calls me when I'm not wearing anything, it's nice to be able to answer and say 'hang on while I get dressed' without the camera instantly pointing at my dong.

My camera comes on a swivel mount so it stays pointed at the ceiling when I'm not using it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spog posted:

They are supposed to light up when the power goes out. If they aren't on now, then they aren't going to be working when there's a fire.

Did you miss the part where I said they were battery powered? :confused:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
No, we are all wondering why you and the others are still at work.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

guppy posted:

I spent half an hour of my day today writing, editing, and reediting an email, struggling to find effective language that didn't outright call a user an idiot.

I always found asking them point blank what they would have you do and here is what we did previously is a good way to make *most* idiots feel like idiots.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Did you miss the part where I said they were battery powered? :confused:

quote:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Based on my two second google, the industry standard run time for emergency lighting is 90 minutes. The power had been out at our building for about 3hr 45min when that photo was taken. The emergency lights run on batteries which (I'm ASSUMING since I was in bed at 5:15am, after being awoken by the security company to tell me the generator was running) had long since run out of power. I've seen the lights come on at other times during power brief power outages.

The entire IT space is on the generator since our data center is here, so we had lights/power/etc.

I'm not sure why you're so fixed on something that is clearly out of the sphere of influence of a sysadmin though!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Based on my two second google, the industry standard run time for emergency lighting is 90 minutes. The power had been out at our building for about 3hr 45min when that photo was taken. The emergency lights run on batteries which (I'm ASSUMING since I was in bed at 5:15am, after being awoken by the security company to tell me the generator was running) had long since run out of power. I've seen the lights come on at other times during power brief power outages.

The entire IT space is on the generator since our data center is here, so we had lights/power/etc.

I'm not sure why you're so fixed on something that is clearly out of the sphere of influence of a sysadmin though!
They are saying that if a fire does start, you'll be stumbling around in dark hallways.

I would imagine there is a building code that says if power is out and emergency power is run out the building should be uninhabbited.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Because I like you and would be very upset if you died in a fire.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I thought in most places you're supposed to leave the building before the emergency lighting runs out, for exactly this reason.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spog posted:

Because I like you and would be very upset if you died in a fire.

Oh. :blush:

Well, no worries, power is back on. Everyone had already left besides my boss, and the VP who was sitting at the counter-top in our office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sirotan posted:

If your emergency lighting is offline, the building is no longer safe to work in, because it doesn't have a valid fire evacuation method for anyone in the building.

Hence, you shouldn't be at work, nobody understands why you are because the building isn't inhabitable until the lights come back on.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

OwlFancier posted:

Hence, you shouldn't be at work, nobody understands why you are because the building isn't inhabitable until the lights come back on.

But my office did.... :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess maybe you're OK if the server room has a fire escape connected to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sirotan posted:

But my office did.... :(

Then you should've said "nope" and left. Perhaps spend some more time with your partner?

Even if there isn't a current emergency, if the building caught fire or whatnot, people would have trouble getting out. That's why if the power goes out and it's not coming back on any time soon, we evaluate the building.

• Locked thread