Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

At least his waifu was an okay character and not Felicia Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Deified Data posted:

Leliana was David Gaider's waifu who's plot armor let her survive potentially getting decapitated in Origins. Maybe now that he's not writing for Bioware we can be rid of her in DA 4.

Wasn't Leliana surviving in the sequels one of the things that got people super mad on their forums when one of the writers commented that the players choices don't actually matter compared to their story?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I guess it's me, not the game, that's the issue here, but I used to be able to all but memorize Pokemon games. I knew Generation II back to front. But now I'm not a tween anymore and I guess I've got other things to do and think about, and the games have way more content and way more monsters to get, and I have to rely on guides to figure out those last little bits in the postgame. I read about them online, and it's like "holy poo poo, I had no idea about <feature X.>"

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Jul 6, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Gitro posted:

They kept forgetting the whole bulletproof shields thing in most of ME and it annoyed me every time. When Saren kills the other duder at the start of ME1 (and if you read ~*the codex*~) the cutscene makes a point of showing him get close enough to the guy that he won't hit the shield. Then they drop it and people in armour act as if a gun pointed at them is as threatening as it would be today. There's no point having a stand-off, the bullets aren't going to do anything to you for a few seconds. Get to cover or run away or something.

There was a scene in the DLC for Mass Effect 1 that I loved because of this. A jumpy civilian hiding from terrorists shoots the player character as they enter the room, but they barely react because it just gets stopped by the shield.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Gitro posted:

I just looked it up and oh boy it's even better than I remembered.

I don't like it when games show you a more badass fight than you are allowed to do during actual gameplay

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nuebot posted:

Wasn't Leliana surviving in the sequels one of the things that got people super mad on their forums when one of the writers commented that the players choices don't actually matter compared to their story?

The final Inquisition DLC fixed that, though, by revealing that if you killed Leliana in Origins then the Leliana you've been dealing with in 2 and Inquisition was never actually her.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've had the vaguest interest in Left 4 Dead recently (enough to read the wikis, but not actually play with people), and I figured that the best way to kinda sate the urge was go through the commentaries. Who knows, maybe I'll learn something I've forgotten.

Nope, most of it is rather obvious stuff, but that's not the problem that drags the experience down. No, everyone's commentary node is clearly being recited from a notepad.

:geno: "We had an issue where players didn't realize this. We thought about how to fix it, and we did. This was incredibly exciting for us." :geno:

(in contrast, the Human Revolutions commentary system is three people talking conversationally about what's happening, and then dictated to text.)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The final Inquisition DLC fixed that, though, by revealing that if you killed Leliana in Origins then the Leliana you've been dealing with in 2 and Inquisition was never actually her.

Okay that's pretty cool and makes me want to finish inquisition

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Vanguard Warden posted:

There was a scene in the DLC for Mass Effect 1 that I loved because of this. A jumpy civilian hiding from terrorists shoots the player character as they enter the room, but they barely react because it just gets stopped by the shield.

That's great, I wish they'd kept engaging with their setting like that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Nuebot posted:

I tried to like the first darksiders, I really did. The stages and stuff were cool but the bosses were just miserable slogs to deal with that were just so not fun I can't do it, I can't keep playing past the first bat boss.

That boss is probably the worst fight in the game if that "helps" any.

---

I was Playing Diablo 3 as a Berzerker yesterday, and I was chasing after one of those thief goblin things, and he loving ran up against the transition to the previous floor, and "Attack" and "change floors" are both mapped to the X-button, so it took like 3 minutes to scare him away from the trigger without changing floors (luckily the game saves enemy positions when you change floors. Also I know I could've gone to the menu and equipped a long-range attack, but that's kinda besides the point.).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've spent about five hours playing Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition now, and I still have no idea what I'm doing. I think I'd probably enjoy this game if it actually bothered to explain itself at all. It's got some mechanics that seem pretty neat (like your two protagonists chatting about significant events and gaining bonuses from consistent characterisation) and the combat is a type I like, but I'm just blundering around stumbling on stuff that I can't tell is important or not, collecting a whole lot of stuff that may be useful or may be garbage, and occasionally dying because something way beyond me just appears out of nowhere. And I was surprised to see I'd been at it for five hours already, because I don't seem to have accomplished anything at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Strategic Tea posted:

Okay that's pretty cool and makes me want to finish inquisition

Just bear in mind where you killed her and all the weirdness that was going on in that place.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

StandardVC10 posted:

I guess it's me, not the game, that's the issue here, but I used to be able to all but memorize Pokemon games. I knew Generation II back to front. But now I'm not a tween anymore and I guess I've got other things to do and think about, and the games have way more content and way more monsters to get, and I have to rely on guides to figure out those last little bits in the postgame. I read about them online, and it's like "holy poo poo, I had no idea about <feature X.>"

Speaking of Pokemon games, I'm really loving tired of how they have absolutely no interest in communicating very important information to the players, assuming (I guess) that they're just going to look online.

Know how to evolve <pokemon>? No? Guess what, you get to look online because there's zero way to loving know how to do it and no way to figure it out in-game.

There's a loving pokemon that only evolves if it levels up while you're holding the DS upside down. What the gently caress.

Related: Monster Hunter and it's inability to communicate any important information to the player about the monsters. Is this thing weak to fire? Who the gently caress knows. Let's look it up online. But you can buy encyclopedia entries on the monsters, which give such useful advice as "This thing flys and spits goo." Neat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Just bear in mind where you killed her and all the weirdness that was going on in that place.

Yeah, it was clearly a last minute "oh poo poo cover our asses" thing, but much more tolerable than the writer smugly declaring that the story you had wasn't the story he wanted to tell. If it had been intended - and hinted at - from the very beginning I would have loved it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I had a long spergy argument with Gaider on the forums about the mages in DAII breaking the in-world laws of magic for teleporting all over the screen as you fight them (specifically it says this is impossible). I think he said they were just running around invisibly, or something. Why he'd try to offer an explanation instead of just throwing up his hands and saying "story/gameplay disconnect" I don't know.

E. lol it's still on their forums

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, it was clearly a last minute "oh poo poo cover our asses" thing, but much more tolerable than the writer smugly declaring that the story you had wasn't the story he wanted to tell. If it had been intended - and hinted at - from the very beginning I would have loved it.

Eh, I never got the hatred for Leliana in general or why anyone would kill her so it's never bothered me. I just like to pretend Leliana's Song never happened and her weird song in DAO was just one of those weird Bioware moments that happens sometimes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

At least his waifu was an okay character and not Felicia Day.

Yeah, I've only played Origins, but I remember her character being oblivious but inoffensive French (???) woman, which is not too bad compared to some of the others.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Her edgy assassin schtick gets a little more grating as the series goes on. Origins is the only game where it feels like she has any character.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the best part about leliana was i hosed her like 20 times in camp while oghren watched

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Does anyone else get the lore of DA and TES mixed up constantly? I made an Andraste joke to a flatmate who played Skyrim and he had no idea what I was talking about.

The little thing dragging down fantasy-based RPGs are their respective lores. They're all so damned samey and Tolkien-esque

Misty Din
Nov 13, 2012
Any RPG game that does the following:

1. Does not give you precise information on what a skill does.
2. Gives inconsistent information on what a skill does.

For example, a skill/skill upgrade that just says "Attack up".
Normally this doesn't bother me, but the sort of RPGs that pull this crud are the ones where you need to be using every advantage you can find to win, and where you can end up with really bad characters if you either don't invest enough in a skill or invest too much in a skill.

Includes lovely examples such as the first level in a skill increasing your damage by 15% but the second and third levels increasing it by only 2%.
Maybe it'll suddenly jump up to being a 5% boost at the fifth level.
But all of those will just be labeled as "Small attack boost" or something like that.

Also love when a skill mentions affecting an enemy stat that you weren't even aware existed and isn't explained in the manual.

These are the sort of games where you have to wait for people to datamine the game or just run lots of experiments to figure out the specifics to figure out if those skill investments were a waste of time or not.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Does anyone else get the lore of DA and TES mixed up constantly? I made an Andraste joke to a flatmate who played Skyrim and he had no idea what I was talking about.

The little thing dragging down fantasy-based RPGs are their respective lores. They're all so damned samey and Tolkien-esque
If you dig into the TES lore it's anything but samey. The games and marketing have been frontloading the generic elements for a while now, though.

DA on the other hand is so uninspired that the continent is literally called "Thedas" after "The Dragon Age Setting" lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Misty Din posted:

Any RPG game that does the following:

1. Does not give you precise information on what a skill does.
2. Gives inconsistent information on what a skill does.

For example, a skill/skill upgrade that just says "Attack up".
Normally this doesn't bother me, but the sort of RPGs that pull this crud are the ones where you need to be using every advantage you can find to win, and where you can end up with really bad characters if you either don't invest enough in a skill or invest too much in a skill.

Includes lovely examples such as the first level in a skill increasing your damage by 15% but the second and third levels increasing it by only 2%.
Maybe it'll suddenly jump up to being a 5% boost at the fifth level.
But all of those will just be labeled as "Small attack boost" or something like that.

Also love when a skill mentions affecting an enemy stat that you weren't even aware existed and isn't explained in the manual.

These are the sort of games where you have to wait for people to datamine the game or just run lots of experiments to figure out the specifics to figure out if those skill investments were a waste of time or not.

This is pretty bad in Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together (as a side note, thing dragging games down: Overly long names. See also, Kingdom Hearts Three Five Eight Days Over Two), there are abilities that increase accuracy and damage... except they only work against enemies at your level? Maybe it was below you level? Point is, the drat ability doesn't give a flat increase to damage or accuracy, it has to activate depending on some weird rear end formula to give the bonus and the formula is weighted so that it'll never activate for enemies you'll actually want it to activate on. This resulted in me playing most of the game with 2 wasted skill slots. Also there are mechanics that changes damage done by certain elements depending on height and man why is everything so complicated and not explained?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are you implying there's a problem with the name Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex First Assault Online

mother fucker

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you dig into the TES lore it's anything but samey. The games and marketing have been frontloading the generic elements for a while now, though.

DA on the other hand is so uninspired that the continent is literally called "Thedas" after "The Dragon Age Setting" lol

actually that's hilarious

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

TES has it's own Joan of Arc expy in Saint Alessia who liberated slaves from the elves the same way Andraste liberated slaves from the Tevinter Imperium in Dragon Age. They're basically the same character, though Alessia is never really a big deal compared to folks like Tiber Septim.

TES is good at navigating fantasy tropes, embracing them where effective and inverting the tired ones. Orcs are civilized, High Elves are evil, Dwarves are loving bearded elves, Daedra are alien and unknowable as opposed to outright evil, etc.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

actually that's hilarious
POSTER A: lol
POSTER B: excuse me. I think you'll find that the thing you lolled at is funny

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leal posted:

This is pretty bad in Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together (as a side note, thing dragging games down: Overly long names. See also, Kingdom Hearts Three Five Eight Days Over Two), there are abilities that increase accuracy and damage... except they only work against enemies at your level? Maybe it was below you level? Point is, the drat ability doesn't give a flat increase to damage or accuracy, it has to activate depending on some weird rear end formula to give the bonus and the formula is weighted so that it'll never activate for enemies you'll actually want it to activate on. This resulted in me playing most of the game with 2 wasted skill slots. Also there are mechanics that changes damage done by certain elements depending on height and man why is everything so complicated and not explained?

Ho ho ho man let me tell you about Monster Hunter.

In Monster Hunter, weapons have three possible stats: raw damage, elemental/affliction damage, and affinity.

So, a sword will have (for example), 200 damage, 150 fire damage, and 10% affinity.

On the surface, this looks pretty standard. Okay, so I hit a monster with this sword, it'll do 200 damage, 150 fire damage, and...10% something. It does extra damage, essentially.

You're loving wrong.

1: Every weapon has a different damage calculation for some loving reason. So a hammer with 100 listed damage and a long sword with 100 listed damage do different damage per strike. Why? gently caress KNOWS.
2: Affinity is the chance to do 125% damage per hit. If you have negative affinity, then this is the chance to do 75% damage on a hit.
3: Every weapon attack has a different 'motion value', which is another percentage that the attack is multiplied by.
4: Every monster has different resistances on different parts of its body, another multiplier. Some areas take more damage than others. And if you're using cutting or bludgeoning weapons, they'll have different resistance values. We're not talking half/double damage here, we're talking numbers like 65% or whatever.
5: SO! Damage calculation just for raw damage is (weapon damage, modified by possible affinity) / (specific weapon divider) * (motion value) * (monster resistance). It's garbage! In text form!
6: Oh ho! But now we're into elemental damage and poo poo. You're thinking "Okay, 150 fire damage modified by that calcul-"fuckin' wrong again! That 150 damage? It's actually divided by 10 because ??????????. So immediately it's loving lying to us. God knows why.
7: Again, every monster part has different resistances to elemental damage. The head might take more fire damage than the butt. It might not. *shrug*. Sometimes it's completely resistant.
8: Affliction damage is like element damage, except it's more like the monster has a separate health bar for every affliction, and you have to wear that health bar down by hitting it with the affliction before the monster will get poisoned/sleepy/whatever. Then it gets a new, stronger health bar for that affliction, making it more resistant.

I want to express that no where in the game is any of this communicated to you at all. Nothing! All you get is that a weapon has 100 damage, 150 fire damage, and 10% affinity. You might think a 100 damage hammer is just as strong as a 100 damage long sword. You're be wrong. You might think that having 100 fire damage is just as good as having 100 regular damage (assuming the monster isn't resistant/weak to fire). You'd be wrong.

I like this series for what it is: hitting monsters with big loving weapons and hoping they don't eat you. Everything related to the game's mechanics is absolute hot poo poo and terrible, and it will never change because of the spergy fucks that would complain so loudly the game would stop selling.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
TES lore has the problem of them putting literal novels worth of text in every game but almost none of it having any actual bearing on the game. In a vacuum a crazy addict locking himself in a closet and pounding out walls of text about swords so sharp they cause nuclear explosions by splitting atoms and elves making space colonies using magic is cool but in the actual games it's all just clutter and cruft.

If anything it's a liability because ten the turbonerds who actually read and enjoy and care about that stuff bash the actual games for not living up to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

TES has it's own Joan of Arc expy in Saint Alessia who liberated slaves from the elves the same way Andraste liberated slaves from the Tevinter Imperium in Dragon Age. They're basically the same character, though Alessia is never really a big deal compared to folks like Tiber Septim.

TES is good at navigating fantasy tropes, embracing them where effective and inverting the tired ones. Orcs are civilized, High Elves are evil, Dwarves are loving bearded elves, Daedra are alien and unknowable as opposed to outright evil, etc.

The story of Alessia is also the story of Pelinal who can be best summed up with this

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

Orcs are civilized... Dwarves are loving bearded elves

Orcs are elves that were immediately and irreparably changed when their elf God was eaten and shat out by another God, and Dwarves (which were normal sized people) are only called that because actual giants were the first to meet them or something.

It's awesome.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Deified Data posted:

There's also the whole acknowledgement of the player as a player, complete with (semi-religious?) explanations for save-scumming, cheating, and everything that goes with it. I remember reading a novel in the game about an Argonian I think that keeps getting more and more hosed up because he's the only one aware that the player character is constantly reloading the game. Like, he remembers every iteration and can't handle it because no one else has any idea of what's going on but he's in this groundhog day kind of loop.

Isn't the whole Morrowind lore the result of one of the writers going on a legit coke/alcohol fuelled writing-binge?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

POSTER A: lol
POSTER B: excuse me. I think you'll find that the thing you lolled at is funny

I think that "actually" was a leftover part of a larger sentence I ultimately deleted.

Very sorry to have disrupted your Something Awful experience goon sir

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

There's also the whole acknowledgement of the player as a player, complete with (semi-religious?) explanations for save-scumming, cheating, and everything that goes with it.

Yeah, CHIM. It's also used to justify why places like Cyrodill went from unplayable rainy fields of rice to Generic Fantasy Land: Tiber Septim did it. Players and major characters have CHIM.

Taeke posted:

Isn't the whole Morrowind lore the result of one of the writers going on a legit coke/alcohol fuelled writing-binge?

I can't remember the guy's name (I wanna say Kirkbride but that could be someone else), but there was one guy who fleshed out parts of the lore who was literally crazy, yes. Like, years after Morrowind came out, he decided on his own to write a ton of short stories to explain The Real Truth (tm) about things. None of it was folded over to the later games, though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Please don't taint the name of lord of the rings with plastic dungeons and dragons pap :smug:

Seriously though, most of the 'generic fantasy' stereotypes are taken from tolkein but only after being wrung through the commercial comic-book-grade wringer that they're totally changed

E: goonsay x1000

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Jul 6, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, CHIM. It's also used to justify why places like Cyrodill went from unplayable rainy fields of rice to Generic Fantasy Land: Tiber Septim did it. Players and major characters have CHIM.

I can't remember the guy's name (I wanna say Kirkbride but that could be someone else), but there was one guy who fleshed out parts of the lore who was literally crazy, yes. Like, years after Morrowind came out, he decided on his own to write a ton of short stories to explain The Real Truth (tm) about things. None of it was folded over to the later games, though.

Nah Kirkbride is the guy. He made Elder Scrolls lore into a beautiful black hole made of two parts LSD and one part Buddhism

The Cyrodiil retcon was dumb as gently caress though and it's blatant rear end covering for a marketing decision. In my heart Cyrodiil is still Imperial Chinese Venice, capital of the Roman Empire.

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Jul 6, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of Pokemon games, I'm really loving tired of how they have absolutely no interest in communicating very important information to the players, assuming (I guess) that they're just going to look online.

Know how to evolve <pokemon>? No? Guess what, you get to look online because there's zero way to loving know how to do it and no way to figure it out in-game.

There's a loving pokemon that only evolves if it levels up while you're holding the DS upside down. What the gently caress.

Related: Monster Hunter and it's inability to communicate any important information to the player about the monsters. Is this thing weak to fire? Who the gently caress knows. Let's look it up online. But you can buy encyclopedia entries on the monsters, which give such useful advice as "This thing flys and spits goo." Neat.

I'm pretty sure an NPC in pokemon drops a hint about that but yeah, it is pretty obscure. As for monster resistances just look at the resistances of the armor you can make from them.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Ho ho ho man let me tell you about Monster Hunter.

Also the attack stat you see on a weapon's stat menu isn't its real attack number.
Also, the game has multiple attack buffs you can stack but doesn't tell you when they wear off.
Also, the sharpness also effects damage, and weapons have different max levels of sharpness and how long they stay that level of sharpness before degrading and needing to be sharpened again.
And then there's weapon specific stuff like switch axe phials, gunlance shot types, bow coatings and -

Ok basically, you have to really get deep into all the options and stats to really pick the optimal choice for your character loadout and the monster youre going to fight.

or just say gently caress it, and pick some random rear end weapon you saw because it looks loving awesome.

Tengames has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Jul 7, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tengames posted:

or just say gently caress it, and pick some random rear end weapon you saw because it looks loving awesome.

If you're not basing your video game wardrobe based solely on either what looks coolest, or what looks most ridiculous then you're doing it wrong.

Anyway, I've recently started playing .hack GU again and they're fairly decent PS2 JRPGs, but one thing that drags them down is that the gameplay gets pretty bloody repetitive since there's three games in the series and nothing really changes. You mostly play across the same stages, fighting the same or similar enemies for three games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Why do so many people on the internet have such an encyclopedic knowledge of lovely throw-away tie-in novels that they know the authors by name and have weird vendettas against individual ones they don't like?
lol are you seriously asking why nerds know nerdy poo poo

and seeing as she´s been doing shitloads of game related writing, including major games like Gears of War 3, it's not as if she's a complete non-entity if you actually pay some attention

princecoo posted:

Why do so many people on the internet have such encyclopedic knowledge of lovely movies that they know the directors name and have weird vendettas against individual ones they don't like?

Uwe Boll.
Say what you want about ol' Uwe, I forgave a lot of stuff because of 'Attack on Wall Street'. What a wonderful movie.

Gitro posted:

That's great, I wish they'd kept engaging with their setting like that.
The first game was really good and immersive in a way that 2 really, really wasn't. I wouldn't know about the rest of their games because I decided to never buy Bioware games after 2 was a mediocre shooter instead of an RPG.

Strategic Tea posted:

Nah Kirkbride is the guy. He made Elder Scrolls lore into a beautiful black hole made of two parts LSD and one part Buddhism

The Cyrodiil retcon was dumb as gently caress though and it's blatant rear end covering for a marketing decision. In my heart Cyrodiil is still Imperial Chinese Venice, capital of the Roman Empire.
It really is kinda sad just how much better Morrowind was when it came to making a cool, alien and immersive world with a shitload of content.

Too bad that it's a horribly loving mess to play, especially if you've actually played a modern game with real gameplay, but ehh.