Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

get the steel, it looks best.

this is accurate, but if you get aluminum, the silver ones look best imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
when my new iphone 7+ gets here im going to smash my months-old 6s with a hammer and throw it into the trash (not recycle)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dislike button posted:

when my new iphone 7+ gets here im going to smash my months-old 6s with a hammer and throw it into the trash (not recycle)

Have you considered buying an iPhone SE, the best phone on the market? It doesn't bend with normal use.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Have you considered buying an iPhone SE, the best phone on the market? It doesn't bend with normal use.

my 6s is as-yet unbent, however it will be bent shortly from ab-normal use, specificlally from when i destroy it intentionally

also i did not consider purchasing the steve edition. steve is dead and ive moved on to the tim phone

Apr 7, 2003

Dislike button posted:

my 6s is as-yet unbent, however it will be bent shortly from ab-normal use, specificlally from when i destroy it intentionally

also i did not consider purchasing the steve edition. steve is dead and ive moved on to the tim phone

The Tim Phone is bad.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
the vestigial phone only exists to help those coping with the transfer of power from steve to tim. it is like training wheels for the real iphone.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

GameCube posted:

lol the one feature that might have gotten me to install iOS 10 was going to be third party app support in siri. i checked to see if spotify had been updated to support it yet and

you should install iOS 10 because it's incredibly fast

Apr 7, 2003

Dislike button posted:

the vestigial phone only exists to help those coping with the transfer of power from steve to tim. it is like training wheels for the real iphone.

If only the "real iphone" had enough wheels attached to keep it from bending. lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

The revelation comes after JerryRigEverything used hardness picks to determine the makeup of both surfaces on the Mohs’ scale of mineral hardness. Previously his tests on the iPhone 6S confirmed the presence of sapphire, but this time both the new home button and larger camera of the iPhone 7 scratched easily using picks that do not damage sapphire.

He concludes: “we know for sure that it is regular glass and not sapphire.”

And here’s where it gets interesting, because Apple still advertises that both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus as using sapphire (which is considerably more expensive than toughened glass) on the home button and camera lens. Given the new iPhones are marketed as more durable than ever this would be a major let down. I have put these claims to Apple and will update when/if the company responds.

quote:

The controversies around the new home button continue as well following a discovery by Myke Hurley, eagle eyed founder of RelayFM, who spotted the button only responds to capacitive touch not pressure.

This means the button will not react should you be wearing standard gloves since there is no response anymore to physical movement.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

current7 status: 70% battery after using it all day. gr8 phone thanks tim. debating getting a case for it, but it's so nice to hold naked.

Apr 7, 2003

lol apple is samsung now

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

good luck unlocking your phone with gloves on anyway

Been doing this for fifteen years

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
apparently it works fine with gloves and whoever said that it didn't was being a tard or trying to get clicks

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

I hardly ever have to wear gloves because it doesn't get that cold here really, so I've never really hosed around with it

What's it like, living in the south?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

triple sulk posted:

any product criticisms aside i don't understand how there's a 3-5 week wait on the series 2 watches considering it's only ever so slightly different

also i've seen a couple pics of the ceramic and it kinda looks like cheap poo poo compared to regular stainless steel

it's completely different and shares few to no parts.

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

St. Louis is good but the rest of the state kinda sucks

I heard a story today on NPR about how St. Louis had a great desegregation plan in place during the eighties that was serving minority and white students well, but old white people hosed it up and repealed it by 1989. Part of living in the south, I guess.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

What's it like, living in the south?

i don't have to wear gloves around here and don't live in the south. it's pretty great.

Apr 7, 2003

Sudo Echo posted:

i don't have to wear gloves around here and don't live in the south. it's pretty great.

Cold weather is wonderful. I feel bad for people who don't get to enjoy it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

cold weather can be good, but if it gets below like 10 F then it's bad.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

zen death robot posted:

good luck unlocking your phone with gloves on anyway

yeah. also lift to wake works really well. it's the ios 10 feature I like

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Citizen Tayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6249iHSJsKo

looks like fun

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Doc Block posted:

square has a Bluetooth card reader that allows them to also accept chip & tap to pay cards, as well as apple pay.

yep

it is cool + good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

St. Louis is good but the rest of the state kinda sucks

Missouri is a very bad state

I think it's the only one that refuses to share information about opiates prescribed to other states to help with interstate enforcement because states rights

also the gun laws lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Citizen Tayne posted:

cold weather sucks, i hate wearing more than one layer

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
and i hate not seeing the sun for 6 months and also now thanks to global warming it snows later and later so the ground just sucks any remaining light and it's even darker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mishaq posted:

yep

it is cool + good

I've got one and it works well, but if you get a non-chip card (or a non-working chip - about 5% of my chip sales. not a lot but a noticeable amount) you still have to swipe and with no headphone jack you're screwed. I use a iPad not a phone though so it doesn't change poo poo for me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I haven't swiped a card for over a decade

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pissflaps posted:

see here in 'merica...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zen death robot posted:

the iPad mini seems pointless these days
it's p good for extended use like reading - although the air series has made this a lot more manageable

and then there's the kids' demographic ofc

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
missouri is the midwest

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
ive spent several weeks in both Kansas city and st louis and I liked Kansas city better

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've got one and it works well, but if you get a non-chip card (or a non-working chip - about 5% of my chip sales. not a lot but a noticeable amount) you still have to swipe and with no headphone jack you're screwed. I use a iPad not a phone though so it doesn't change poo poo for me.

Can't you swipe on their newfangled Bluetooth reader?

And you've still got the little lightning->3.5mm adapter if you need to use their old magstripe reader that plugs into the headphone jack.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doc Block posted:

Can't you swipe on their newfangled Bluetooth reader?

And you've still got the little lightning->3.5mm adapter if you need to use their old magstripe reader that plugs into the headphone jack.

the Bluetooth reader is just for chip and NFC. There's no swipe on it. I use both readers when working depending on what card I get.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The magstripe reader has been awkward to use ever since Apple moved the headphone jack from the top of the phone to the bottom, so I don't think having to have it plugged into the adapter will be that much worse. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

tbh the new home button is the worst thing about the new phone hth :tipshat:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
y

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/scttor/status/777484618685673472

the dongle ... it's bad

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

lomarf

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if you listen to music you're an edge case sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pissflaps posted:

every single american tourist that came into my store over the summer tried swiping their card multiple times before i even finalized the transaction

• Locked thread