Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
please address me by my nephew's rank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
guy finally made a not dumb choice https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/02/29/discord-leak-jack-teixeira-guilty/

Washington Post posted:

Jack Teixeira, a young military computer technician who was accused of leaking highly classified government intelligence, will enter a guilty plea before a federal district court judge in Boston on Monday. Federal prosecutors on Thursday filed a motion notifying the judge that Teixeira intended to change his earlier plea of not guilty.

Teixeira was accused of using his top secret security clearance to access classified government computer networks on an Air Force base in Cape Cod, where he worked as a computer network technician. A Washington Post investigation revealed that while Teixeira was serving in the Massachusetts Air National Guard, he shared hundreds of classified documents as well as his own summaries of classified reports on Discord, an online chat platform popular with video gamers.

Teixeira’s leaks revealed information about the Russia-Ukraine war, China’s development of hypersonic spy drones, North Korea’s nuclear weapons development, conflicts in the Middle East and the Ukrainian sabotage of the Nord Stream natural gas pipeline.

Teixeira was arrested last April and charged with six counts of illegal retention and transmission of national defense information. He faced up to 25 years in prison.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I’m imagining some private in the Babylon 5 universe posting starfury blueprints for internet points, and how people would have eviscerated the show for that being unrealistic. Truth really is stranger than fiction.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CrazySalamander posted:

I’m imagining some private in the Babylon 5 universe posting starfury blueprints for internet points, and how people would have eviscerated the show for that being unrealistic. Truth really is stranger than fiction.

Fiction has to be internally consistent. Reality, famously, does not.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ded posted:

A Marine

A SOF Marine move IMO

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CrazySalamander posted:

Closest thing I can think of is the Star Trek DS9 episode where a Starfleet officer becomes a suspect in serial killings because he was a collector who was one of the only people to use the replicator patterns for a Federation-designed gunpowder firearm that had never been officially deployed, simply because of the novelty.

That or imagining Quark running holosuite programs striving for accuracy and not realising he'd accidentally created a zany scheme for intel gathering until Garak congratulates him.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Quark was 100% collecting compromat.

Odo was into some _weird_ loving poo poo, which is why Quark’s place never fully got shut down.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Closest thing I can think of is the Star Trek DS9 episode where a Starfleet officer becomes a suspect in serial killings because he was a collector who was one of the only people to use the replicator patterns for a Federation-designed gunpowder firearm that had never been officially deployed, simply because of the novelty.

That episode was stupid because it introduced a weapon that could be fired from anywhere and hit anything and a device that allows you to see through walls, and it was never mentioned again

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scratch Monkey posted:

That episode was stupid because it introduced a weapon that could be fired from anywhere and hit anything and a device that allows you to see through walls, and it was never mentioned again

See also:

1. Transporters can undo aging, making anyone effectively immortal.
2. Transporters can produce perfect clones.
3. The medium we use to communicate across interstellar distances is inhabited by aliens.
4 Any Federation holodeck can produce superhuman AGI.
5. Warp drive is destroying the universe.

Now let us never speak of this again.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
#5 did come up repeatedly in later episodes and was the babble behind the Voyager's dumb variable angle nacelle thing.

[edit] didn't realize what thread I was in.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Beings that have magic powers to do literally anything and they spend it loving with people. Actually I guess that’s not too far from what would happen

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hotel Kpro posted:

Beings that have magic powers to do literally anything and they spend it loving with people. Actually I guess that’s not too far from what would happen

I thought the point was that they're just bored at this point because they've done everything so Q pokes anthills with sticks just to pass the time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Odo was into some _weird_ loving poo poo, which is why Quark’s place never fully got shut down.

Odo's original name was "unknown sample". He was some weird loving poo poo.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

We never did find out what the Cardassian Neck Trick actually is.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm imagining Quark selling compromat to Garak, with Garak letting him believe that he didn't already know every bit of information Quark sold him, just to enable the facade.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Another one for the “reality is unrealistic” file,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

all odo wants is some lovely abstract scultures to shapeshift into, you can get that anywhere

he kept quark around because he got a justice boner from repeatedly investigating quark's minor crimes

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Quark kept things interesting without being inclined to do things that would set the station on fire. At least not on purpose.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

all odo wants is some lovely abstract scultures to shapeshift into, you can get that anywhere

he kept quark around because he got a justice boner from repeatedly investigating quark's minor crimes

I figure it was part containment part canary in the coal mine. You knew the crime was serious if Quark wasn't involved. Quark just wants to get or stay rich. Not like he's murking ambassadors to cover up manufactured evidence...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Another one for the “reality is unrealistic” file,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

This is an extremely wild read. I'd watch a movie about it.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Rambo: Origins

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

...it just gets more portable.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Moon Slayer posted:

gently caress yes, it was.

I can't even decide what my favorite phrase in there is, but "dynamited into surrender" has got to be a frontrunner

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like the labels that are essentially “this article is too good for Wikipedia”.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Moon Slayer posted:

Assault on Precinct 13, sort of.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Phanatic posted:

Assault on Precinct 13, sort of.

Which one?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mustang posted:

My Vietnam veteran uncle was an armor officer and he hates the movie Fury because according to him the greatest generation didn't swear that much.

Tell it to Kurt Vonnegut, James Michener, and Joseph Heller.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mustang posted:

My Vietnam veteran uncle was an armor officer and he hates the movie Fury because according to him the greatest generation didn't swear that much.

I still don’t know how this was the nick fury origin story.

Marvel has tried some weird stuff though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Battle of Athens was the inspiration for Starship Troopers.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Battle of Athens was the inspiration for Starship Troopers.

You're thinking of the john birch society weirdos.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Steezo posted:

Both interpretations here hold water

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Steezo posted:

No, it was specifically mentioned both in the book as the forerunner and catalyst for the political system in universe, and by Heinlein personally in determining the Veteran Citizen system in universe.

In a reading of just the text, there is no overt racism except to the bugs. They go out of their way to point out every single person- no matter color, creed, physical deformity, whatever- so long as they can understand the oath, they can gain citizenship. The main character isn't White.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My kid just got a 52 on the ASVAB (a perfectly average score).

What's a good MOS for doing your minimum years and then getting a civilian career?

Also, what are all the things we hosed up and didn't do that I should make sure she does?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

What's a good MOS for doing your minimum years and then getting a civilian career?

Also, what are all the things we hosed up and didn't do that I should make sure she does?

I’ll give you a serious answer and that’s something that gives a top secret clearance.

What branch though? Need to narrow it down.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

spacetoaster posted:

Navy IT reservist. gently caress active duty. He can get his time volunteering to mob to stuff that isn’t a ship.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

In a reading of just the text, there is no overt racism except to the bugs.

This is Skinnies erasure.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Air Force. I was in the Army stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord and people on the Air Force side of the base actually sometimes had smiles on their faces.

Army morale seemed in the gutter when I got out in 2020 and doesn't seem like much has changed in that regard since then.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Volmarias posted:

This is Skinnies erasure.

You are correct, and I'm an rear end in a top hat for forgetting our adversary cum ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

You are correct, and I'm an rear end in a top hat for forgetting our adversary cum ally.

Thank you for acknowledging our cum allies