Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If they take the hellcat I hope they slow roll through every corner holding a beer w/ coozy until the straights where they leisurely drop a gear and launch through space and time.

Lap time: who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

In the late 70's the Norwegian prime minister suggested that we buy Volvo for a 50 percent share in our oil endeavour. Now this was just before the Norwegian oil boom totally exploded and the purchase was called off due to Swedish doubts. That share is now worth $400 billion in global securities, property and cash. Too bad, Sweden :(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Q_res posted:

You realize that, pre-merger, Chrysler had the largest cash reserves of any automaker on the planet. Right?

Also Daimler cancelled pretty much every promising new car project and their replacements were pretty much universally hated, e.g., the Caliber (remember that piece of poo poo?), 200, Avenger, Nitro, Patriot, Compass, etc.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Daimler also slashed development budgets to minimal levels, left no money on the table for refreshes, and even forced an arbitrary engineering software changeover in the middle of the design cycle. Basically, they went full :hitler: on Chrysler's poo poo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tekne posted:

The 918 is an untouchable space car as expected, the NISMO GTR beat out the Viper TA, and the Camaro Z28/Corvette Z51 mostly cleaned up what was left. I'd like to see the Z06, both Hellcats, and the other two hyper cars in the next one. If the 2015 Viper TA 2.0 gets Trofeo R's and the 6 piston Brembos, it should beat the NISMO and might even fend off the hefty Z06. With the Miata twins and Mustang coming out next year, there's no better time to be an enthusiast.

I'm most amazed at a Viper being third. :stare:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

El Scotch posted:

I'm most amazed at a Viper being third. :stare:

Apparently they no longer actively try to murder the driver. More of a side-effect now.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The Viper would've beaten the NISMO GTR with better tires. After Motortrend set its record Laguna Seca lap, SRT ran it again with Sport Cups instead of the Corsa Zeros, and it shaved 1 second off the lap time. From what I've read, the Trofeos are even better than the Michelins, and Ralph was trying to get them for the car. The TA 2.0 coming out next year has 400lbs of downforce vs 278 on the current Viper, so it should really tear things up with proper rubber.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 5, 2014

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Aren't those basically slick tires? The new Vipers are definitely amazing but I'd be surprised if it wasn't faster on those.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

razorscooter posted:

Aren't those basically slick tires? The new Vipers are definitely amazing but I'd be surprised if it wasn't faster on those.
Yeah, they are semi-slick tires, but also the most useable of the group and manageable in wet conditions. The Sport Cups and Trofeos are more aggressive and useless in anything other than warm dry conditions.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2013-Auto-Bild-Track-Day-Semi-Slick-Tyre-Test.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/PZero-Corsa-System.htm

blk
Dec 19, 2009
TTAC is reporting that the 2015 Mazda 3 will be available with the 2.5 / manual combo. I'd link but I'm on my phone and lazy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It became available last week IIRC. Should be a hoot.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Can't get 2.5L Mazda 3 without leather seats though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Unless you have to have a hatch, I think the Mazda6 is a better buy if you can live without heated seats and the new infotainment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Christobevii3 posted:

Can't get 2.5L Mazda 3 without leather seats though.

I configured a 2014 s Touring on the U.S. website and it comes with leatherette standard, which is not actually leather.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I should have said "cloth" seats instead of not leather. I live somewhere that rains a lot and is hot so the thought of leather combined with salt shadows from swamp rear end on the seats is not appealing.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
The 2015 Viper comes with a $15k MSRP reduction:

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?&id=16039&mid=

The Viper is suddenly a whole lot more interesting.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

drat. That's certainly not chump change. Z06 influenced perhaps?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like how they added three new colours, and two of those colours are orange.

The third is Stryker Purple:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yes. YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Oh man that's pretty, but I'm a sucker for purple cars :swoon:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I would feel no shame owning that car.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If I had that car in that color I would have custom made color matching suede driving shoes made and wear those things every time I drove the car. And I'd be struttin' dammit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Where'd you find the picture? I'm curious about the Stryker Orange. Stryker Red quickly became one of my favorite colors.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Third Street

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

skipdogg posted:

If I had that car in that color I would have custom made color matching suede driving shoes made and wear those things every time I drove the car. And I'd be struttin' dammit.

Suede??? Snake skin or bust. Crazy it gets 20mpg. That's my four cylinder ranger at 75mph with two cats inside a paper bag of power.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What they're doing with fuel efficiency is pretty neat. I went from a Fusion with a NA 3.5L V6 to a SHO with the Ecoboost TT 3.5L V6 and gas mileage is the same, maybe just a touch better. 100 extra HP... wheeee

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Where'd you find the picture? I'm curious about the Stryker Orange. Stryker Red quickly became one of my favorite colors.

I just did a GIS for "stryker purple viper." I guess they did a show with it awhile ago.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I just did a GIS for "stryker purple viper." I guess they did a show with it awhile ago.

Hm. All I can find for orange is that gently caress You Orange they used for the ACR. Crusher Orange I believe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I have a suspicion the other two colours aren't unveiled yet. I love the sheer insanity of not just announcing one orange, but two.

"You want orange? We'll give you orange."

Why doesn't every car come in fun colours? :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

What they're doing with fuel efficiency is pretty neat. I went from a Fusion with a NA 3.5L V6 to a SHO with the Ecoboost TT 3.5L V6 and gas mileage is the same, maybe just a touch better. 100 extra HP... wheeee

Yeah I really enjoyed going from a daily driver with a 3.4 liter v6 with 180hp to a turbo 4cyl with 274hp and get better mileage. However I was driving home on Friday next to a Tesla Model S who was just dashing out from every stop light. I mean, we were both just getting to the next stop light down the road each time, but having all that instant torque and knowing you're only a few miles from home and recharging for the night, I would probably be flooring it all over and not worrying about cheap electricity to refill it too.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That is a fantastic color

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

davebo posted:

I mean, we were both just getting to the next stop light down the road each time, but having all that instant torque and knowing you're only a few miles from home and recharging for the night, I would probably be flooring it all over and not worrying about cheap electricity to refill it too.

Oh my god I never thought of electric cars this way.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
How Chrysler hasn't had a color named "Orange Whip" yet is beyond me

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Why doesn't every car come in fun colours? :(

They don't sell as well as black/white/silver.

davebo posted:

not worrying about cheap electricity

Sounds nice.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

You can see Stryker Orange at SRT's 2015 Viper page.
http://www.drivesrt.com/2015/viper/

Welp, I won't have to wait long to see how the TA 2.0 does against the Nismo and some very stiff competition. This is the lineup for Road and Track's PCOTY test, which is happening this week. Not sure when it hits magazine stands though.
1. BMW M3
2. Alfa Romeo 4C
3. Dodge Viper TA 2.0
4. BMW M235i
5. Subaru WRX STI
6. Chevy Camaro Z/28
7. Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
8. Ferrari 458 Speciale
9. Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
10. 2015 Mustang
11. Mini Cooper S
12. Nissan GT-R Nismo
13. Lexus RC F
14. Volkswagen GTI
15. Porsche 911 GT3

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

SouthLAnd posted:

Unless you have to have a hatch, I think the Mazda6 is a better buy if you can live without heated seats and the new infotainment.

I picked a 2014 3 over the 6, mainly because the infotainment in the '14 6 is terrible. I would have taken the extra room, but the 3 really is big enough for me.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

orange you glad it isn't silver :mmmsmug:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tekne posted:

Fuckin' hhhnnnngggggggggg :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tekne posted:

Nice, thanks. Looks like if you go up to the GL trim you can see Stryker Purple and Stryker Orange. The base ("SRT") seems like the only one to get Y'Orange.