Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tapedump posted:

Thanks. Can you run RAM that is faster then the recommended spec and have it just clock down like it would in a PC? I have 4GB sticks of PC2-6400 (this iMac asks for 5300, but I don't have any 4GB sticks in that speed.)

Should work fine, it'll just down clock to the proper speed. PC2-6400 still sounds like 200-pin DDR2, so..

quote:

Last question probably: Any thing major preventing me from fitting an SSD? I've read of OS X TRIM issues, Sandforce controllers, and so on, but have never put one in a Mac. I've replaced an iMac HDD before and had to use a program to address the balls-out fan speed issue afterwards.

Nope, nothing except if you want to prevent the SSD from rattling around you should get a 2.5 -> 3.5 inch adapter mount like this one. Partition the drive with Disk Utility, install OS and TRIM Enabler or whatever you prefer to enable TRIM and you're good to go.

See the SSD thread for recommendations, but I've put Samsung EVO 840 non-Pros and Pros alike in Mac laptops and desktops and they work just fine, as long as you make sure they're running the latest firmware released in October 2013.

I can't really prove it, but IMHO since Samsung got pointers from Apple on how to optimize their SSDs that were included in new Mac hardware which was released in October 2013, they must have used that knowledge to tweak the Mac firmware of their retail drives. Which by some incredible coincidence, was also modified and released the same month. Circumstantial evidence but IMHO it's highly likely.

The fans are only an issue for Late 2009 iMacs and later models, where you have to get custom modified hard drives from Apple and sensor cables that are different for any one of three different OEMs, Seagate/WD/Hitachi. If the sensor isn't detected or gives an illegal reading, the hardware decision tree just assumes the sensors are bad and puts the fans up to 100% as a precaution.

quote:

(Sorry for the hardware questions in a software thread, and thank you for taking time to counsel me.)

People mix the questions up all the time, there's software questions in the HW thread and vice versa (at least in the Mac threads), and no one minds unless it's something too obvious.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm happy with my SSD from OWC and they even specifically tell you enabling TRIM is not required or suggested on their drive. It's a real simple drop in replacement and their kits come with anything you may need and they have bundles with enclosures for some stuff to make use of the drive you take out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any way to disable the really slow animation when going to the native full screen mode in Mavericks?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone know why every time I send an email from my exchange account in mail.app, it also saves it as a draft after I've sent it? The emails are definitely getting sent, so it's not a case of the message failing and being dumped there...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Anyone know why every time I send an email from my exchange account in mail.app, it also saves it as a draft after I've sent it? The emails are definitely getting sent, so it's not a case of the message failing and being dumped there...

go to prefs, accounts, mailbox behaviours or something like that, "save draft messages on the server".

It saves a local copy just in case you're offline usually. There may be some weird bug that's preventing it from deleting it afterwards, might be something to do with the actual Exchange config, but that should fix it, anyway.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Andrast posted:

Is there any way to disable the really slow animation when going to the native full screen mode in Mavericks?

Guessing you're watching YouTube in Chrome?

chrome://flags/

Go to "Enable simplified fullscreen" and disable it

Don't know how to change animation speed system-wide. But if jailbreakers can do it on iOS it's def possible.

edit: This may not work

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Is anyone successfully using Synergy as a client on Mavericks? My Win7 desktop is the server and I have not found a good way to have the client startup with Mavericks that doesn't require always dealing with a local kb/mouse first. Once running, everything is usually good, but I don't want to always pull out a kb/mouse when I need to reboot.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Is anyone successfully using Synergy as a client on Mavericks? My Win7 desktop is the server and I have not found a good way to have the client startup with Mavericks that doesn't require always dealing with a local kb/mouse first. Once running, everything is usually good, but I don't want to always pull out a kb/mouse when I need to reboot.

Yeah, works perfect for me. I don't understand your question though, don't shut down and just put the mac to sleep?

edit: goto sys prefs -> user groups and hit settings and login items, add it there.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 6, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The only thing I could think of is getting Synergy to start as a service at boot. I use it at work every day, but the opposite: an older Windows 7 desktop is the client, and my MBP is the server. There, the issue isn't getting Synergy to start on the desktop at boot since it's registered as a service, but on the occasion that my laptop is assigned a different IP address, so I can't change the setting until I use a mouse to open the on screen keyboard, peck in my password, and then change the IP to connect to.

Another, more minor issue is that Synergy can't send Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but you shouldn't run into that issue if you're using the KB/M hooked into Windows.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

carry on then posted:

The only thing I could think of is getting Synergy to start as a service at boot. I use it at work every day, but the opposite: an older Windows 7 desktop is the client, and my MBP is the server. There, the issue isn't getting Synergy to start on the desktop at boot since it's registered as a service, but on the occasion that my laptop is assigned a different IP address, so I can't change the setting until I use a mouse to open the on screen keyboard, peck in my password, and then change the IP to connect to.

Another, more minor issue is that Synergy can't send Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but you shouldn't run into that issue if you're using the KB/M hooked into Windows.

Connect with a network name and not an IP and you won't have issues with IP changing.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
For some reason 10.9.2 doesn't seem to be installing. I've updated and restarted multiple times and it's still asking me to install it, and I've looked in system information and it says I'm still on 10.9.1.

What do?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Are you using the combo update?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are you using the combo update?

No, just the one through the app store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

slogsdon posted:

No, just the one through the app store.

Combo update is here, for those who prefer them over the MAS.
Use the combo update if the MAS gives you grief. I always use combo update out of habit.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Use the combo update if the MAS gives you grief. I always use combo update out of habit.

That worked. Thanks :)

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Ok so I just spent the last few hours trying to install Win7 on a late 2013 RMBP. I followed their stupid guide(bootcamp) but it makes no loving sense. You move the additional drivers onto usb(in fat, duh) or onto the partition that's in fat. But Windows 7 installs in NTFS so you must reformat that partition so you lose the drivers. USB install of additional drivers AFTER Windows 7 install is not possible as Win7 will not detect poo poo from the USB ports.

The only solution to this is using something to write into the NTFS partition from OS X, like paragon? I only read about this, did not try it.

I wiped the partition and maxed on the os x one again and pointed start up disk to it. I don't feel like dealing with this anymore.

In case I didn't make it clear I did get it to install fine, just nothing worked.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 7, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You're saying Windows couldn't find a regular thumb drive?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

You're saying Windows couldn't find a regular thumb drive?

That is correct. 3 different ones in fact. USB straight not working, Google searching clearly indicated this is not an isolated issue.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

z06ck posted:

Ok so I just spent the last few hours trying to install Win7 on a late 2013 RMBP. I followed their stupid guide(bootcamp) but it makes no loving sense. You move the additional drivers onto usb(in fat, duh) or onto the partition that's in fat. But Windows 7 installs in NTFS so you must reformat that partition so you lose the drivers. USB install of additional drivers AFTER Windows 7 install is not possible as Win7 will not detect poo poo from the USB ports.

The only solution to this is using something to write into the NTFS partition from OS X, like paragon? I only read about this, did not try it.

I wiped the partition and maxed on the os x one again and pointed start up disk to it. I don't feel like dealing with this anymore.

In case I didn't make it clear I did get it to install fine, just nothing worked.

Don't know what in the hell is going on with your machine, but the USB should work fine in Win7 without the additional Boot Camp drivers. Something was wrong with your USB stick or maybe you were doing it wrong, I don't know. Would have been interesting to see what Disk Management had to say when you plugged that thing in. Anyhow, USB definitely works, it's a standard controller and the drivers are on the Win7 disc. I believe the ethernet driver should work fine too though I'm not 100%, but you could have just downloaded the drivers.

Anyhow, of course you have to do it AFTER. And Win7 does not format a partition, but no, it won't install onto FAT obviously. That'd be hilarious, installing a modern OS on a file system that doesn't even have permissions.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Pivo posted:

Don't know what in the hell is going on with your machine, but the USB should work fine in Win7 without the additional Boot Camp drivers. Something was wrong with your USB stick or maybe you were doing it wrong, I don't know. Would have been interesting to see what Disk Management had to say when you plugged that thing in. Anyhow, USB definitely works, it's a standard controller and the drivers are on the Win7 disc. I believe the ethernet driver should work fine too, you could have just downloaded the drivers.

Anyhow, of course you have to do it AFTER. And Win7 does not format a partition, but no, it won't install onto FAT obviously. That'd be hilarious, installing a modern OS on a file system that doesn't even have permissions.

Ethernet? I'm on a late 13 rmbp, there is no ethernet. I did open up disk management in fact, it was not there. Win7 install does indeed format a partition, you start it as a FAT partition in OS X and then Win7 makes you format to NTFS as it's required.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

z06ck posted:

Ethernet? I'm on a late 13 rmbp, there is no ethernet. I did open up disk management in fact, it was not there. Win7 install does indeed format a partition, you start it as a FAT partition in OS X and then Win7 makes you format to NTFS as it's required.

First: There is no ethernet? WTF? And you don't have an ethernet adapter of any kind? Um, okay. And this is your only computer?

Second: BECAUSE YOU CAN'T INSTALL WIN7 ONTO FAT OBVIOUSLY jesus christ it's not Windows 95, I meant if you had NTFS the installer doesn't necessarily format it unless you ask it to

I don't know why your USB ports didn't work. That's not typical behaviour.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Pivo posted:

First: There is no ethernet? WTF? And you don't have an ethernet adapter of any kind? Um, okay. And this is your only computer?

Second: BECAUSE YOU CAN'T INSTALL WIN7 ONTO FAT OBVIOUSLY jesus christ it's not Windows 95, I meant if you had NTFS the installer doesn't necessarily format it unless you ask it to

I don't know why your USB ports didn't work. That's not typical behaviour.

Ethernet adapter that uses what, thunderbolt? No, this is my only computer that has a TB port. I have 4 computers, only mac.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

Retina MacBook Pros do not have Ethernet, no.

Pivo posted:

Second: BECAUSE YOU CAN'T INSTALL WIN7 ONTO FAT OBVIOUSLY jesus christ it's not Windows 95
Hello please don't post like this.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a source for "legitimate" retina wallpapers? A lot of wallpaper sites just have one lovely JPEG stretched out into 30 different resolutions.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hard to say. For the longest time 2560x1600 was the largest resolution anyone really used so dedicated wallpaper sites probably won't have many larger ones for a while. Maybe look for nature or space photos, or 3D renders, as those tend to have source images bigger than standard resolutions.

Have you tried InterfaceLIFT?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

z06ck posted:

I followed their stupid guide(bootcamp) but it makes no loving sense. You move the additional drivers onto usb(in fat, duh) or onto the partition that's in fat. But Windows 7 installs in NTFS so you must reformat that partition so you lose the drivers.

You did not read "their stupid guide" properly. They do not at all say to copy the drivers to the partition you are installing Windows onto:

quote:

• Copy the Support Software to the root level of a USB flash or hard drive that is formatted with the FAT file system (see question below for steps on how to format).
• Attach the hard drive to the USB port of your Mac after Windows 7 is installed.

As others have noted, THIS is where your problem lies:

z06ck posted:

USB install of additional drivers AFTER Windows 7 install is not possible as Win7 will not detect poo poo from the USB ports.

USB 2 should be working. However, Windows 7 will not support USB 3 without additional drivers. Make sure the hard drive or USB stick you're using to copy over the drivers isn't USB 3.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

9to5Mac reporting that today's 10.9.3 developer beta "supports driving 4K displays at ‘Retina’ resolution and 60Hz output from 2013 MacBook Pros." Hopefully 10.9.3's beta isn't as long as 10.9.2's, though I can't imagine there are too many people out there with 4K ThunderBolt monitors right now.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Choadmaster posted:

Windows 7 will not support USB 3 without additional drivers

Just as a suggestion @z06ck, if you're going to install Windows and can get the license via Dreamspark or whatever, do yourself a favor and install Windows 8.1 instead of 7. Yes I know the interface blablabla, but the features under the hood (USB 3 support cough cough among many others) are better and you can still have it act like Windows 7 for all day-to-day operations and maybe touch the freaking tiles once a week or so like I do. There's just this knee-jerk reaction of installing Windows 7 that I'm seeing too often. You have a new computer.

(Of course I don't even use bootcamp on any of my Macs :smug:)

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

z06ck posted:

Yeah, works perfect for me. I don't understand your question though, don't shut down and just put the mac to sleep?

edit: goto sys prefs -> user groups and hit settings and login items, add it there.

I don't shut the system down or even put it to sleep and all is well then. But it is the instances it needs to be rebooted for updates or whatever.

The issue is probably that I am not doing an autologin maybe? So the application doesn't start until an account logs in.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

USB2 does NOT work for me, I just tried reinstalling again. I manually removed the drivers in device manager and rescanned for hardware and that time it made my thumbdrive(s) flash but nothing happened. These are all USB2 thumbdrives. Oh well, I was doing it for fun anyway.

I will just buy another license of 8 like what's on my desktop.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I don't know what you're using it for but Windows under virtualbox is not awful.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does OSX have some sort of "USB microsleep" or something, where it sleeps USB devices when they're not actively being used (even while OSX is awake)? I'm trying to figure out why my G602 jitters, and I'm running out of ideas.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I don't know about USB but the wifi will go into a microsleep if it's not used in less than a second.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Ninja Rope posted:

I don't know what you're using it for but Windows under virtualbox is not awful.

And if you're willing to spring for a purchase, Parallels is fast enough to run many games at near native performance. Of course, I still can't get it to run ArmA 2 at anywhere near playable speeds.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hello please don't post like this.

Sorry. I blame the Internet for making me like that. I didn't mean to be rude.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

9to5Mac reporting that today's 10.9.3 developer beta "supports driving 4K displays at ‘Retina’ resolution and 60Hz output from 2013 MacBook Pros." Hopefully 10.9.3's beta isn't as long as 10.9.2's, though I can't imagine there are too many people out there with 4K ThunderBolt monitors right now.

Cool, might see the Dell added to the supported model list.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Caged posted:

Cool, might see the Dell added to the supported model list.

I wonder if they will up the refresh rates over HDMi too. I had my rMBP hooked up to a 4k monitor the other day, and the 30Hz response rate in the GUI was quite noticeable.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
HDMI 1.4 does not have the bandwidth to support more than 30fps.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any good OSX programs for adult math or physics? I'm in need of a bit of a refresher before I hop back into a graduate program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any good OSX programs for adult math or physics? I'm in need of a bit of a refresher before I hop back into a graduate program.

I use Soulver but I don't think I'd recommend it. When checking my math once it computed an incorrect answer (probably because the numbers were too large) and caused me to waste an hour sanity checking all my work. It's also missing some features that would really make it useful. I don't know poo poo about physics though.