Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Strange Quark posted:

I think it was in all the PS2 games with random encounters. Both Raidou games had it as well.

It's a pretty common thing Atlus does. I think it's also in all the Etrian Odyssey games.

I remember it in Strange Journey as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I prefer seeing enemies on the overworld and being able to just walk around them if you feel like it, personally.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I would love it if they adopted the encounter system from Bravely Default. Turn off encounters when you just want to explore, turn them way up for grinding.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IkXQ1OERY

Junpei preview for P4A2

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I prefer seeing enemies on the overworld and being able to just walk around them if you feel like it, personally.

Yeah, as nice as it is to know "oh there's a random encounter sometime soon" it's pretty vague and it's still functionally random because "sometime soon" could be 1 more step, 5 more or the length of an entire room. Not to mention you can't really avoid it so it doesn't matter if you know its coming or not.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, as nice as it is to know "oh there's a random encounter sometime soon" it's pretty vague and it's still functionally random because "sometime soon" could be 1 more step, 5 more or the length of an entire room. Not to mention you can't really avoid it so it doesn't matter if you know its coming or not.

It's still at least useful shorthand for telling you whether the area you're in at the moment has random encounters at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh god, him singing the Junes theme.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Junpei is actually the most used new character, he can do some really cool poo poo with his innings/outs mechanic. I haven't played Ken yet but Junpei is by far the most popular of the bunch.

As for the flashy map icon thing, it's also in Innocent Sin's remakes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

laplace posted:

Junpei is actually the most used new character, he can do some really cool poo poo with his innings/outs mechanic. I haven't played Ken yet but Junpei is by far the most popular of the bunch.

As for the flashy map icon thing, it's also in Innocent Sin's remakes.

It's in the PS1 version, too.

At this point, it might be easier to list the games without a random encounter indicator. :v:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

laplace posted:

How does his mechanic even work? Like, if he hits you with the bat he gets runs, and they power up attacks? Or what?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

laplace posted:

Ken is out?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The random encounter alert has been a franchise mainstay since Shin Megami Tensei 2, and has been back ported to the ports of SMT1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder if they're gonna be able to get Michelle Ruff and Vic Mignogna back for the P4AU dub. As far as I know both have been pretty MIA as far as non-union dubs go and even Michelle has sort of disappeared from most union stuff that isn't Bleach. I can't imagine any recanted voices being bad, but Vic has been Junpei and Yukari for the past seven years now and those voices are perfect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, probably? Michelle Ruff still plays Carl in BlazBlue and all, and the latest BB game came out like a month ago.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well Chronophantasma's a special case as that game had a lot of voice acting done in advance for the JP version like the actual voices during gameplay had an English option and ArcSys did the localization for that game too instead of Aksys this time. P4AU will probably be handled by the guys who did P4A's dub so that means anything could really happen with that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Well Chronophantasma's a special case as that game had a lot of voice acting done in advance for the JP version like the actual voices during gameplay had an English option and ArcSys did the localization for that game too instead of Aksys this time. P4AU will probably be handled by the guys who did P4A's dub so that means anything could really happen with that.

By P4A, are we talking about Arena 1 or the anime?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Arena

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Vic is one of the reasons I hated Junpei, so I wouldn't be that sad to see him revoiced.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Really? I thought he did a good job, what was your problem with him in P3?

At least we can surely all agree that what's her name, Fuuka's friend that locked her in a closet is the worst voice actor in the series.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Strange Quark posted:

It's in the PS1 version, too.

At this point, it might be easier to list the games without a random encounter indicator. :v:

Digital Devil Saga. :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Natsuki and yes Karen Strassman did not do a stellar job with her voice. That being said Strassman's role for that game was Aegis and I can imagine the ADR Director probably told her not to worry about the performance on it too much what with Natsuki being a bit character.

EDIT: Hellioning is right about Kugimiya though, that voice is literally Satan.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Really? I thought he did a good job, what was your problem with him in P3?

At least we can surely all agree that what's her name, Fuuka's friend that locked her in a closet is the worst voice actor in the series.

No, no, Rie Kugimiya is worse. I don't even mind her other roles, and maybe it's just because heard English dub Rise first, but it's just way too squeaky a voice for Rise.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hellioning posted:

No, no, Rie Kugimiya is worse. I don't even mind her other roles, and maybe it's just because heard English dub Rise first, but it's just way too squeaky a voice for Rise.

I was talking about the English VA, I've never heard the Japanese stuff for any of the games.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I wonder if they're gonna be able to get Michelle Ruff and Vic Mignogna back for the P4AU dub. As far as I know both have been pretty MIA as far as non-union dubs go and even Michelle has sort of disappeared from most union stuff that isn't Bleach. I can't imagine any recanted voices being bad, but Vic has been Junpei and Yukari for the past seven years now and those voices are perfect.

Michelle Ruff is in everything now. I'm not sure if it's just Union though. In recent memory she reprised her ages-old role as Fujiko Mine in Lupin. I'm sure the Persona money machine will be able to afford her. She's also been in literally every Funimation dub for the last year. She even voiced Michiko in Michiko to Hatchin.

Who knows if Vic Mignona will come back but whatever good riddance if they get a new voice actor for Junpei, that guy is a dick/hack/other bad words. Honestly though P3's dub was less then stellar. Tara Platt and her weird rear end lispy Mitsuru, Yukari constantly speaking with the same inflection for every line. I'm pretty sure Aigis was the only character who's voice I liked, and even so I prefer her in Japanese.

I say this coming off of just finishing my Japanese copy of Persona 4 Golden, which I far prefer in the PS2 English dub.

Edit: Fun Fact I just learned on Wikipedia: I live in Kugimiya Rie's hometown. Huh.

laplace fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 8, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I literally just did a Wikipedia search on Michiko to hatchin and it confirms Monica Rial as Michiko's voice actor, who actually works for Funimation since she is one of their VAs. Michelle Ruff does not work for Funimation, she lives in California like a lot of other VAs in Persona.

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
I just started a dds game to play alongside nocturne, and wow these games get dark fast.
Speaking of nocturne, I just beat the ghost rider and learned its possible to get the candelabra guys in your party, are they worth shooting for?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I literally just did a Wikipedia search on Michiko to hatchin and it confirms Monica Rial as Michiko's voice actor, who actually works for Funimation since she is one of their VAs. Michelle Ruff does not work for Funimation, she lives in California like a lot of other VAs in Persona.

Oh huh, yeah you're right. My bad. I have no idea why I confused them both. Maybe because they have the same initials? They don't even sound anything alike now that I think about it. Anyway, She still has been in dubs recently, as mentioned Fujiko Mine, Zetman, and a bunch of games. I don't think she's turning down work or anything.

laplace fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 9, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Murcor posted:

I just started a dds game to play alongside nocturne, and wow these games get dark fast.
Speaking of nocturne, I just beat the ghost rider and learned its possible to get the candelabra guys in your party, are they worth shooting for?

They're all pretty decent for the most part but if you're going to use any of them, use Daisojou. I used him from the moment it was possible until the credit roll, he's obscenely good.

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They're all pretty decent for the most part but if you're going to use any of them, use Daisojou. I used him from the moment it was possible until the credit roll, he's obscenely good.

He's a big buff/magic demon right? Saw a guy beat the game using a monk that looked like him for heals and debuffs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Murcor posted:

He's a big buff/magic demon right? Saw a guy beat the game using a monk that looked like him for heals and debuffs.

His gimmick is that he has two specific abilities: Meditation, which is an Almighty HP/SP drain, and Prayer, which is a full heal and status recover for your entire group that costs 50 MP.

Keep his MP up with Meditation, use Prayer when necessary, you've got your healer. Makakaja will boost the amount Meditation drains to the point that he can easily keep his MP topped up with it alone, even on bosses.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 9, 2014

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Murcor posted:

It also helps that due to the particular way fusing the fiends works, Daisoujou's the only one that can benefit from sacrificial fusion. Helps with getting particular skills to him.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Probably a dumb question but Dante is useless, right? I remember someone saying he was, at least in comparison to Raidou?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The problem with Dante is, you can't put Pierce on him, which automatically makes him useless against the TDE boss.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

laplace posted:

Probably a dumb question but Dante is useless, right? I remember someone saying he was, at least in comparison to Raidou?

No, Dante is super awesome and also rad. He has great attacks and can basically wipe out all but the most elite random mobs by himself. He's only considered "useless" because it's impossible to fuse Pierce onto him, thus making him less effective against the Super Mega Boss. However, he has a high-crit attack that IIRC still works on the boss, so while he can't do damage, he can still get you extra press turns.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Murcor posted:

Most of them are. Daisoujou, Red Rider, and Mother Harlot are all obscenely good. Red Rider has a move that does good physical damage to an entire enemy party for 10MP (not HP) and inflicts panic, so if you can fuse Mana Refill onto him you've basically broken the game. Mana Refill in general is a skill you should fuse onto as many demons as possible, it lets you use powerful magic pretty much with complete impunity.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Murcor posted:

I finished Nocturne on the TDE using fiends all the time, they were only outclassed by the über demons (IE, former bosses :v:)

laplace posted:

As everyone told you already people only dismiss Dante because he can't get Pierce and so can't dish monstruous damage on the TDE final boss, he's still a goddamn beast and he finished the final boss more than once for me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I never got to recruiting Dante, so I was wondering something: are you allowed to remove him from your 3-demon active party and keep him in the 12-slot storage or is he always in your party no matter what?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ChaosArgate posted:

I never got to recruiting Dante, so I was wondering something: are you allowed to remove him from your 3-demon active party and keep him in the 12-slot storage or is he always in your party no matter what?

You can put him in the 12-slot storage, but you can't ever entirely get rid of him.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

Of course you're allowed to remove him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Gotcha. Everything I've heard was worded along the lines of "he permanently takes up a slot so you can't remove him" and nothing clarified if they meant a party slot or a storage slot.