Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

bango skank posted:

Are there any stories that show mechanicum characters going through the various alterations they make to themselves? Ive been wondering how a regular imperium dude ends up joining and becoming increasingly augmented to the point of the average magos.

Not completely sure, but I think most priests are already inhabitants of forge worlds, and thus born as AM 'citizens'. People don't join as much as are levied from the technicians who keep the machine worlds going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Brothers of the Snake is a pretty loving good marine book though, maybe not in the high politics sense or whatever though.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tias posted:

Not completely sure, but I think most priests are already inhabitants of forge worlds, and thus born as AM 'citizens'. People don't join as much as are levied from the technicians who keep the machine worlds going.

That'd make sense I guess, when you've got entire planets full of people who've been lived all their lives around the machinery they'd be the best suited for it. The only mechanicum book I've read is the HH Mars civil war book with the transcriber being brought from Terra to Mars, but then again that's not "40k" exactly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's also an example from the Ciaphas Cain books of a techpriestess who's the daughter of a civilian freighter captain. He refers to it as his daughter getting religion.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Aren't there a bunch of skitarri novellas? No clue if they suck or not.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

There's also an example from the Ciaphas Cain books of a techpriestess who's the daughter of a civilian freighter captain. He refers to it as his daughter getting religion.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's another techpriestess who he rescues when they attack a planet under siege by orcs whos brother is a sergeant, and who seemed to have become a techpriest because she loved working on machines and this way she also got a robot tendril.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Need some advice. I have read Horus Rising, False Gods, and now am almost finished with Galaxy in Flames. I am not sure what I should read next.

The Wikipedia page for the Horus Heresy series has a giant complicated image showing a ton of different branching paths based on avoiding spoilers. It is incomprehensible and I am also not interested in reading every single HH book. I have avoided reading any synopsis of the books so I am lost as to what I should skip and what I should read.

Am I correct that Master of Mankind covers the battle of Terra and the final confrontation between Horus and the Emperor? I have read these first three books over the last 4 days so I am eager to get to that story and I don't want to break my momentum, but I also don't want to miss any must reads. I don't mind reading MoM and then going back for others, I mean the spoilers can't be that bad considering I already know how it all turns out anyway.

So should I keep my momentum and read MoM then go back and read a few of the good ones or are there any books I absolutely have to read before MoM?

Edit: I am interested in the Mechanicum part of the Heresy, but I believe I can read those after I finish MoM right?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 2, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are you facing some kind of terminal life ending or something? Why not just have a bit of patience and take it slowly

I've never understood wanting to rush through a series like the HH, reading should be relaxing, it's not like binging on a netflix series

Just miss out the ones that are clearly filler and go by the numbers, MoM is way down the line

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

D-Pad posted:

Am I correct that Master of Mankind covers the battle of Terra and the final confrontation between Horus and the Emperor?
Nope! They're still getting round to that.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

D-Pad posted:

Need some advice. I have read Horus Rising, False Gods, and now am almost finished with Galaxy in Flames. I am not sure what I should read next.

The Wikipedia page for the Horus Heresy series has a giant complicated image showing a ton of different branching paths based on avoiding spoilers. It is incomprehensible and I am also not interested in reading every single HH book. I have avoided reading any synopsis of the books so I am lost as to what I should skip and what I should read.

Am I correct that Master of Mankind covers the battle of Terra and the final confrontation between Horus and the Emperor? I have read these first three books over the last 4 days so I am eager to get to that story and I don't want to break my momentum, but I also don't want to miss any must reads. I don't mind reading MoM and then going back for others, I mean the spoilers can't be that bad considering I already know how it all turns out anyway.

So should I keep my momentum and read MoM then go back and read a few of the good ones or are there any books I absolutely have to read before MoM?

Edit: I am interested in the Mechanicum part of the Heresy, but I believe I can read those after I finish MoM right?

You can totally just read them all in the published order. There's a couple big stinkers but overall the quality of the series is pretty good, and almost every book is worth reading for some reason or another imo.

e: Also master of mankind doesn't cover the final battle or anything even close to it.

If you really don't want to read all of the main series books (which is understandable) make sure you read everything by Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden, at the very least, along with Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns, probably the white scars books, and while Flight of the Eisenstein isn't my favorite but it's SUPER important as Garro is one of the more important characters in the series and it covers a very important event. I'd also recommend Fear To Tread, as it covers one of the biggest moments of the Horus Heresy (The wounding of Sanguinius and the near fall of the Blood Angels).

hopterque fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 2, 2017

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Should I read talon of horus before black legion?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why wouldn't you?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Should I read talon of horus before black legion?

Since it's really good, yes.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Are you facing some kind of terminal life ending or something? Why not just have a bit of patience and take it slowly

I've never understood wanting to rush through a series like the HH, reading should be relaxing, it's not like binging on a netflix series

Just miss out the ones that are clearly filler and go by the numbers, MoM is way down the line

Eh, I am a fast reader. I typically average 1-2 novels a week and have had a lot of free time the past few days. Plus I am just really enjoying this so far. I only started getting into Warhammer a few months ago and it has quickly become one of my favorite settings.

hopterque posted:

You can totally just read them all in the published order. There's a couple big stinkers but overall the quality of the series is pretty good, and almost every book is worth reading for some reason or another imo.

e: Also master of mankind doesn't cover the final battle or anything even close to it.

If you really don't want to read all of the main series books (which is understandable) make sure you read everything by Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden, at the very least, along with Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns, probably the white scars books, and while Flight of the Eisenstein isn't my favorite but it's SUPER important as Garro is one of the more important characters in the series and it covers a very important event. I'd also recommend Fear To Tread, as it covers one of the biggest moments of the Horus Heresy (The wounding of Sanguinius and the near fall of the Blood Angels).

I don't really even understand which ones are the main series. I have been looking at this map and can't make heads or tails of it:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/English_Horus_heresy_spoiler_free_tree.jpg

Is there a better one out there? If I could just get a list of the order of the main series books I would just follow it. After thinking about it some more I will probably just read most of the HH books and just take breaks and read something else every 3-4 books so I don't burn out. That is what I have been doing with the 40k books. There is just so drat many it is daunting even for someone that reads as much as me. It"s also really nice though considering I have read almost all the notable sci-fi and/or fantasy series out at this point and am starting to read Kindle Unlimited pulp.

Also, I am pissed they are a decade+ and 40+ books in and haven't even gotten to the final battle. This is going to be some GRRM poo poo isn't it? GW is probably making way to much money off HH to ever actually "end" it.

Finally, are there any books set before the Horus Heresy? I don't mean right before, I mean like Unification Wars/Start of the Great Crusade? Especially anything that deals with the Emperor, I am really interested in him and the closest I have gotten to reading directly about him is when Horus goes back to the gene-lab with Erebus, and when Erasmus sees the glow of the throne from underneath it at the end of Carrion Throne.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Since reading Master of Mankind and Carrion Throne back to back I'm really interested in how the events of the confrontation of Horus on his flagship playout compared to what is 'common knowledge' of what happened.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Since reading Master of Mankind and Carrion Throne back to back I'm really interested in how the events of the confrontation of Horus on his flagship playout compared to what is 'common knowledge' of what happened.

gently caress that, I want an anthology of different perspectives and interpretations of the event. In my opinion, the point of the Horus Heresy series is to make GW roll in easy money give perspective on all of the different players in the Heresy, even the Emperor and Horus. Why end it on something as simple as the final confrontation told straight?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

gently caress that, I want an anthology of different perspectives and interpretations of the event. In my opinion, the point of the Horus Heresy series is to make GW roll in easy money give perspective on all of the different players in the Heresy, even the Emperor and Horus. Why end it on something as simple as the final confrontation told straight?

This is actually a really cool idea. I picture it being told from the POV of a Custodes arriving on the scene at the height of the battle, and then from the perspective of a Sons of Horus Marine witnessing the aftermath and dragging his father's corpse to the teleporters. Maybe even one by a Sister of Silence who would be blind to all the warp fuckery and see something very different from everyone else.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sephyr posted:

This is actually a really cool idea. I picture it being told from the POV of a Custodes arriving on the scene at the height of the battle, and then from the perspective of a Sons of Horus Marine witnessing the aftermath and dragging his father's corpse to the teleporters. Maybe even one by a Sister of Silence who would be blind to all the warp fuckery and see something very different from everyone else.

I'd also love to see Sanguinius' point of view as he's gearing up to board Vengeful Spirit. The conflicts in his mind at the time would be fascinating if written well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But we won't get a scene from Ollanius's POV because gently caress you.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd also love to see Sanguinius' point of view as he's gearing up to board Vengeful Spirit. The conflicts in his mind at the time would be fascinating if written well.

I will be sorely disappointed if we don't get this. Blood Angels get very few (decent) stories and Sanguinius' sacrifice is the absolute core of the chapter's character in the 41st millennium.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I can't wait for them to write it in like....10 years

Btw Black Legion was real good boys

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Randalor posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, there's another techpriestess who he rescues when they attack a planet under siege by orcs whos brother is a sergeant, and who seemed to have become a techpriest because she loved working on machines and this way she also got a robot tendril.

That's right, it's the book where Cain accidentally drops behind Ork lines. It also has my favorite Vail footnote, when Cain mentions her robo-tendril being implanted at the base of her spine. "A fact that Cain, I assume, discovered in casual conversation. Or, maybe not."

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Pendent posted:

I will be sorely disappointed if we don't get this. Blood Angels get very few (decent) stories and Sanguinius' sacrifice is the absolute core of the chapter's character in the 41st millennium.

James Swallow is going to write it and it's going to be garbage

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did ADB really sneak in a Transformers the Movie reference into Helsreach? On the skirmish at the downed ship primus starts muttering "this is bad comedy!" while hacking up orks

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

SavTargaryen posted:

That's right, it's the book where Cain accidentally drops behind Ork lines. It also has my favorite Vail footnote, when Cain mentions her robo-tendril being implanted at the base of her spine. "A fact that Cain, I assume, discovered in casual conversation. Or, maybe not."
She also pops up again several decades later, and far more augmented, and with the rank of Magos in, uh, that books with the Necron McGuffin that kills everyone touching it, blanks aside. I think it's the same story as when a rogue inquisitor tries to make a remote controlled Lictor.

First time I read it the mechadendrite-tail felt like dumb fan service. But there's a few mentions of her planting it in the ground and leaning against it. It's genius, she always has her own chair with her.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

D-Pad posted:

Eh, I am a fast reader. I typically average 1-2 novels a week and have had a lot of free time the past few days. Plus I am just really enjoying this so far. I only started getting into Warhammer a few months ago and it has quickly become one of my favorite settings.

I don't really even understand which ones are the main series. I have been looking at this map and can't make heads or tails of it:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/English_Horus_heresy_spoiler_free_tree.jpg

Is there a better one out there? If I could just get a list of the order of the main series books I would just follow it. After thinking about it some more I will probably just read most of the HH books and just take breaks and read something else every 3-4 books so I don't burn out. That is what I have been doing with the 40k books. There is just so drat many it is daunting even for someone that reads as much as me. It"s also really nice though considering I have read almost all the notable sci-fi and/or fantasy series out at this point and am starting to read Kindle Unlimited pulp.

Also, I am pissed they are a decade+ and 40+ books in and haven't even gotten to the final battle. This is going to be some GRRM poo poo isn't it? GW is probably making way to much money off HH to ever actually "end" it.

Finally, are there any books set before the Horus Heresy? I don't mean right before, I mean like Unification Wars/Start of the Great Crusade? Especially anything that deals with the Emperor, I am really interested in him and the closest I have gotten to reading directly about him is when Horus goes back to the gene-lab with Erebus, and when Erasmus sees the glow of the throne from underneath it at the end of Carrion Throne.

I don't know what the idea of this stupid spoiler free thing is, but the published order of novels is literally right below it on the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_(novels)#Published

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

She also pops up again several decades later, and far more augmented, and with the rank of Magos in, uh, that books with the Necron McGuffin that kills everyone touching it, blanks aside. I think it's the same story as when a rogue inquisitor tries to make a remote controlled Lictor.

First time I read it the mechadendrite-tail felt like dumb fan service. But there's a few mentions of her planting it in the ground and leaning against it. It's genius, she always has her own chair with her.

Cain's last stand, only one to take place during the old 13th Crusade period after he had been brought out of retirement.

The thing I, for some reason, remember the most about that book is Vail's footnote about Sororitas not taking a vow of celibacy but are usually too busy to deal with relationships and trysts.
Which happens after Cain discovers, much to his surprise, that the Head Sister of the Schola he's teaching at is sleeping with a member of the Administratum whom he had considered quite unassuming. :mmmhmm:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

hopterque posted:

I don't know what the idea of this stupid spoiler free thing is, but the published order of novels is literally right below it on the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_(novels)#Published

Yeah I saw that but from what I can tell the published order isn't necessarily the order of events timeline wise. Like there are different story arcs within the larger HH arc. For example, (making up numbers) the first book in a particular Primarch's arc may be book 5 and the next book in that particular arc may be book 14.

That complicated chart is attempting to order the books by their particular story arc and not by the published arc. The Mechanicum story arc in the bottom left is a good example of what I am talking about.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

D-Pad posted:

Yeah I saw that but from what I can tell the published order isn't necessarily the order of events timeline wise. Like there are different story arcs within the larger HH arc. For example, (making up numbers) the first book in a particular Primarch's arc may be book 5 and the next book in that particular arc may be book 14.

That complicated chart is attempting to order the books by their particular story arc and not by the published arc. The Mechanicum story arc in the bottom left is a good example of what I am talking about.

If you skip say from say book 5 to book 14 because of one legion's arc or whatever you're probably gonna miss a bunch of poo poo in the interim that happened elsewhere that affects or is referenced or is a heavy part of the later book. It's all pretty interwoven.

I've read the books more or less in published order and the timeline is what it is, its a dozen different authors writing a two dozen different viewpoints all taking place at roughly the same time in a universe where the primary mode of transportation completely breaks the laws of physics and character spend unknown amounts of time in a realm where time doesn't exist. It's all in flux and trying to actually nail the whole series down is kind of pointless.

Its probably not worth worrying about unless you have some obsession with chronological reading orders or whatever, the timeline is constantly in flux anyway.

e: Also a lot of the 'later' books that are earlier in the timeline and 'recommended' to be read earlier are basically meant to elaborate on things mentioned earlier in the series, and come up when they do for a reason. The thousand sons/prospero burns stuff fits in where it was published because its a period in the series where a lot of the side conflicts playing out as part of the greater horus heresy are explored in more detail, and IMO they would be best read at that point, not as your 3rd or 4th book in the series or whatever.

IF you're trying to do a complete read-through I mean.

ee: Also it looks like the chart is trying to fit in individual stories from the anthologies into their specific spots which is just crazy.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 4, 2017

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

It's absolutely fine to just read them all in published order.
I've read every single one from the first up to Master of Mankind. (Because I'm a crazy person :pseudo: )
Last week I realised that more books had come out, ordered the rest of the published HH ones, and a handful of other 40k ones. Started Garro yesterday.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think part of the issue with trying to avoid spoilers by reading the books "out of chronological order" is that, for many long-time fans of the series, what comes up in the earlier-written, later-timeline books isn't spoilers because they already know Legion X betrayed the Empire/Chaos/Whomever on Y date because it was mentioned in a codex 10 years ago, and the novel is the reason why it happened. I've only read the first novel of the HH series, but you should be fine going by publication order. Just assume that if something feels like it should be major spoilers for later published novels, it's probably already common knowledge from other source material, and the later novels just explain why it came to pass.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Make sure to skip the first chapter of Horus Rising, major spoilers for the last book in the series!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fellblade posted:

Make sure to skip the first chapter of Horus Rising, major spoilers for the last book in the series!

Foreshadowing =/= spoilers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I read Pandorax a while back because it was the most recent novel in the partwork and it looked vaguely interesting. It's actually pretty good until the climax, at which point it's blatantly designed to support the concurrent Apocalypse book and becomes "and then this unit rolled 50 dice and make those five tanks explode and then a whole thousand guardsmen died and and and" until I just sort of... forgot about it for a few weeks and never read the last two chapters. It's alright overall, but weak endings are kind of a GW signature at this point.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

It's absolutely fine to just read them all in published order.

I started to and got about 30 books in, but I got hosed off with the filler, anthologies and key storylines being audio-book only (I refuse to purchase an audio book). Then my copy of Angel Exterminatus came in a stupid oversized format and I just gave up. I brought MoM on the Kindle because ADB rarely misses, but I've given up on the series until this thread says "OMG we're at earth and it was awesome!".

I have no idea what happened to Loken, no idea what Garro is doing, what's going on with the proto-inquisistion and honestly don't care. My obsessive need to have the entire series got cured by GW's cynical milking of their cash cow.

I love the smaller, well written arcs like First Heretic/Know No Fear/Betrayer and Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns and thanks to this thread can still kind of keep up with what I want without having to sit through any more Eversor family drama or primarch anal plugs. I can't blame someone new to the setting for wanting a recommended path to weed out the crap.

(also, £10 per book on the Kindle? Nope)

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 5, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Endman posted:

James Swallow is going to write it and it's going to be garbage

They've got someone new doing the BA stuff, and it's supposed to be pretty decent. Hopefully, Swallow is not going to be doing anything else.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Dog_Meat posted:

I started to and got about 30 books in, but I got hosed off with the filler, anthologies and key storylines being audio-book only (I refuse to purchase an audio book). Then my copy of Angel Exterminatus came in a stupid oversized format and I just gave up.

This is the exact point and reason I also stopped reading, I wonder how common that is.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

They've got someone new doing the BA stuff, and it's supposed to be pretty decent. Hopefully, Swallow is not going to be doing anything else.

Dante was written by Guy Haley of all people and was actually really good. It looks like The Devastation of Baal this November will be as well so I am reasonably hopeful.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pendent posted:

Dante was written by Guy Haley of all people and was actually really good. It looks like The Devastation of Baal this November will be as well so I am reasonably hopeful.

Thanks - I couldn't remember who was doing the writing, and was too lazy to check on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

I started to and got about 30 books in, but I got hosed off with the filler, anthologies and key storylines being audio-book only (I refuse to purchase an audio book). Then my copy of Angel Exterminatus came in a stupid oversized format and I just gave up. I brought MoM on the Kindle because ADB rarely misses, but I've given up on the series until this thread says "OMG we're at earth and it was awesome!".

I have no idea what happened to Loken, no idea what Garro is doing, what's going on with the proto-inquisistion and honestly don't care. My obsessive need to have the entire series got cured by GW's cynical milking of their cash cow.

I love the smaller, well written arcs like First Heretic/Know No Fear/Betrayer and Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns and thanks to this thread can still kind of keep up with what I want without having to sit through any more Eversor family drama or primarch anal plugs. I can't blame someone new to the setting for wanting a recommended path to weed out the crap.

(also, £10 per book on the Kindle? Nope)

The good news:
The book after MoM, Garro tells exactly what happened to him while everything else is going down, and it takes all the plot lines from the audio dramas and puts them in the book, which I'm happy about as I too don't buy any of the audio dramas.

The bad news:
It's written by James Swallow.
He's not the worst, but he isn't good either.

Then again, if you got through both Battle for the Abyss and Nemesis without brain damage, I'm sure you can manage Swallow. :v: