Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nitrogen posted:

I think the rule of thumb is, "if you're going to use pedestrian rules, be a pedestrian. If you're going to use vehicle rules, be a vehicle."

If you're going to ride on the street, make turns like everyone else. Otherwise walk across the crosswalk. If you keep your actions inside the realm of what people expect, you'll be better off.

That's my big issue with cyclists; if they do weird things I don't expect, like running red lights/stop signs, etc.
Precisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

um excuse me posted:

When I was in grade school I was always told to cross the street with my bike by walking across the crosswalk next to it. I'm not sure where the transition from doing that and you're supposed to behave like an automobile occurs.

Any cyclist using the same roads as motor vehicles is bound by the same laws, regardless of their vehicle having a motor or not. Nitrogen hit it on the head that bicyclists are unpredictable, and a big part of that is thinking the laws don't apply to them (or just not giving a poo poo and being dicks). I've seen and heard about too many instances of morons on bikes ignoring stop signs/lights, not signaling, blocking roadways with big groups of people so cars can't safely pass, you name it. Assholes like that deserve whatever bad things happen to them because gently caress that selfish garbage.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
It doesn't matter. My state has thousands of miles of perfectly paved bike trails with lines painted that wind through beautiful areas and next to rivers. They all still ride on the streets.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"Make turns like everyone else" and then get plowed by a texting soccer mom who didn't expect anything smaller than an Escalade to be in the road and floored it as soon as they thought the intersection was clear. Whereas people are actually (ideally) looking for human-sized objects in the crosswalk. Applying car rules to bikes without any adjustment for the real differences that exist is moronic.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bicycles ridden on the road should also require liability insurance.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

It doesn't matter. My state has thousands of miles of perfectly paved bike trails with lines painted that wind through beautiful areas and next to rivers. They all still ride on the streets.

I fully agree that obnoxious fucks like that are as much a part of the problem as anyone else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vitamin J posted:

If you're using a bike to commute, why the gently caress would you want to pedal on a meandering trail? You aren't there to commune with nature, you want to get to work in the shortest time possible.

Public roads are designed to do this because they're straight lines and your destination is going to be directly attached to one of them.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Javid posted:

"Make turns like everyone else" and then get plowed by a texting soccer mom who didn't expect anything smaller than an Escalade to be in the road and floored it as soon as they thought the intersection was clear. Whereas people are actually (ideally) looking for human-sized objects in the crosswalk. Applying car rules to bikes without any adjustment for the real differences that exist is moronic.

Got any statistics to back that up? People are looking for objects. I have a hard time believing the brain has a huge blind spot for a cyclist but can pick up a pedestrian just fine.

e: maybe we should have a dedicated ARGUE ABOUT BIKES thread because it derails a lot of things.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody sees motorcycles. I can imagine nobody really sees bikes either.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's this big perception that a cyclist has to get off their bike and walk it through a crosswalk, but in a lot of places that is not true (here is the section of law for my state). Granted, you really don't want to do that at more than a walking pace.

Recently we were going to eat lunch after a ride, and were at a spot where a trail comes out and needed to cross a street to get to the place. So we wait at the crosswalk, start rolling slowly, and this guy turning right just cuts out and nearly hits us, while waving his finger like we are the ones doing something wrong.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Got any statistics to back that up? People are looking for objects. I have a hard time believing the brain has a huge blind spot for a cyclist but can pick up a pedestrian just fine.

e: maybe we should have a dedicated ARGUE ABOUT BIKES thread because it derails a lot of things.

Yeah that's an actual thing, where a driver will be looking right at a bicycle or motorcycle or even another car and just not see it.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr01/blindness.aspx

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SCA Enthusiast posted:

maybe we should have a dedicated ARGUE ABOUT BIKES thread because it derails a lot of things.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

We'll just cycle (heh) back to arguing about speeding next, or something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Its almost like people are assholes regardless of what vehicle they're on. A bicycle is way less likely to gently caress other people up and a ped even less so.

Also, I'll care a bit more about "bikes don't follow the law" when the majority of cars follow the 3 foot law or a variety of other law re:bikes. This doesn't mean bikes should break the law (though I would support an idaho stop law), but I'd rather focus my efforts on the people controlling 4000lb killing machines than 20lb nerd mobiles.

Edit: I'm always amused that the world's angriest motorcyclist is pissed off at things pedal bikes do that piss him off.

nm fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 10, 2016

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Spotted on a 60mph road. :catstare:

https://gfycat.com/CorruptPoisedBellfrog.webm

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

xzzy posted:

If you're using a bike to commute, why the gently caress would you want to pedal on a meandering trail? You aren't there to commune with nature, you want to get to work in the shortest time possible.

Public roads are designed to do this because they're straight lines and your destination is going to be directly attached to one of them.
Because the trails follow the thoroughfares and do not have traffic lights, but tunnels under the roads so it'd be faster anyway.

Not only that but my area is full of Lances who come from all over the country to train at high altitude and they just ride around in circles anyway, those fucks will ride 6 abreast down the street on a Tuesday.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

nitrogen posted:

That's my big issue with drivers; if they do weird things I don't expect, like running red lights/stop signs, not signaling, texting and otherwise loving around on their cellphone, actively trying to hit or block bicycles and motorcycles, tailgating, etc.

I agree completely. Drivers are the worst because of their sense of entitlement, lack of respect for everyone else trying to use the road, environment ruining vehicles, etc.

I mean, I'd like to see the study that shows the millions of deaths that cyclists cause because that must be the main reason car drivers are so angry at cyclists all the time.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Vitamin J posted:

Bike trails immediately get clogged with joggers, people taking their kids/dogs for walks, etc. If you're trying to ride at speed for whatever reason, you put fewer people in danger by being on the street.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Apparently this idiot never heard that you're supposed to walk on the side opposing traffic so you can see if some idiot is about to crash into you.

Gene pool, etc.

e: :regd08: it's clearly the fault of all those maniacs driving on the wrong side of the road :regd08:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

EightBit posted:

Bike trails immediately get clogged with joggers, people taking their kids/dogs for walks, etc. If you're trying to ride at speed for whatever reason, you put fewer people in danger by being on the street.
Thankfully for this reason the specific bike trail I'm talking about is separated into two paths, one for bikes and one for peds. It's faster, safer, and more convenient for everyone but they still ride on the streets parallel to the path. I'm sure there's a good reason you can fill me in on.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 10, 2016

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://twitter.com/DFrelick/status/729825880093134848

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bro's gotta make some sweet go pro footy.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

El Jebus posted:

I agree completely. Drivers are the worst because of their sense of entitlement, lack of respect for everyone else trying to use the road, environment ruining vehicles, etc.

I mean, I'd like to see the study that shows the millions of deaths that cyclists cause because that must be the main reason car drivers are so angry at cyclists all the time.

I'd also agree 100% with my butchered quote, as a driver and motorcyclist.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nitrogen posted:

The bad drivers are coming from *INSIDE THE THREAD* (pretty sure someone else made this joke)
A bunch of people have mentioned it. I won't talk about it too much in this post because I don't want to make xzzy lose his poo poo again about it.

nitrogen posted:

I think the rule of thumb is, "if you're going to use pedestrian rules, be a pedestrian. If you're going to use vehicle rules, be a vehicle."

If you're going to ride on the street, make turns like everyone else. Otherwise walk across the crosswalk. If you keep your actions inside the realm of what people expect, you'll be better off.

That's my big issue with cyclists; if they do weird things I don't expect, like running red lights/stop signs, etc.
I agree completely. I was walking to work in Vancouver today, and saw something weird and stupid. I walk up to a corner, see cars pulling up at each of three sides of the intersection, and two bikes at the side to my left (crossing my path). I am about two feet away when everyone (except, of course, the cyclists) comes to a complete stop, and I fully expect the cyclists wouldn't yield to a pedestrian anyway, so I stop at the corner to patiently wait.

The cyclists roll the stop, then stop in the intersection, blocking both lanes of traffic, to yield to me.

I'm like ... I appreciate that you're yielding to pedestrians, but there was probably a better way for all of that to happen.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Vitamin J posted:

Thankfully for this reason the specific bike trail I'm talking about is separated into two paths, one for bikes and one for peds. It's faster, safer, and more convenient for everyone but they still ride on the streets parallel to the path. I'm sure there's a good reason you can fill me in on.

That kind of path is the exception, and there's nothing stopping oblivious joggers from being in the way. Anyone in moderate shape can maintain enough speed on a bicycle to cause major injuries to themselves and others.

Do you live in some kind of bicycle-friendly utopia where people never have dogs on leashes stretched across the entire path, people walking three and four abreast (I'm in San Antonio, one of the fattest cities on the planet, people are wide here, two can block more than half of most this city's bike trails), joggers that stop and turn around without warning, people wearing headphones, people that hear "on your left" and loving move left, etc.? Cars are scary, but most drivers are in their lanes and paying attention to what is going on. Pedestrians, may as well all be autists.

I avoid riding on the trails in spring here because of that. Well, there is water in the rivers right now, so I'm also usually paddling a kayak around. Summer and 100+F days clear the trails again and make it much safer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Most bike trails have a 15mph limit, which is laughably low for anyone in reasonable shape. They even bust out the radar guns here.

Also passing runners who run with bicycle traffic (as opposed to against) with headphones on are scarier than cars.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Yes I do live in a bicycle friendly utopia where the cities and state spends millions on bike trails like shown in the picture. Sounds like you wouldn't ride on them either. I ride on those trails in the afternoons and evenings when joggers and dog walkers are at their peak (much less during commuting hours) and they're perfectly fine. Like I said, it doesn't matter what we do to accommodate bikers, they'll still ride on the road, and justify it.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

jamal posted:

Yeah that's an actual thing, where a driver will be looking right at a bicycle or motorcycle or even another car and just not see it.

That's eye opening :v:, but my point was it's far from a bicycle specific thing. Its amazing we're allowed to pilot metal death machines.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
We haven't had the same experiences. I've had a few close calls and decided that I don't want to be the cause of someone else's broken bones or head trauma if I could help it. That's probably what the other bikers are thinking, too. Without an enforced bicycles-only area, the best way to maintain a good exercise pace is on roads, or stuck inside on a trainer. Heaven forbid that you are riding your bike to a place that trails don't connect to, either.

Everyone hates bicyclists, even other bicyclists, apparently.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SCA Enthusiast posted:

That's eye opening :v:, but my point was it's far from a bicycle specific thing. Its amazing we're allowed to pilot metal death machines.

Give it 10 years and we probably won't be. These threads will be bitching about their self driving car slamming into a telephone pole and giving you whiplash because it was trying to avoid a squirrel darting across the street.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

jamal posted:

I know I had no problem counting how many times the basketball was passed: https://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo

E: attempting to embed on phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I imagine that's more effective if you aren't expecting anything weird.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EightBit posted:

That kind of path is the exception, and there's nothing stopping oblivious joggers from being in the way. Anyone in moderate shape can maintain enough speed on a bicycle to cause major injuries to themselves and others.

Do you live in some kind of bicycle-friendly utopia where people never have dogs on leashes stretched across the entire path, people walking three and four abreast (I'm in San Antonio, one of the fattest cities on the planet, people are wide here, two can block more than half of most this city's bike trails), joggers that stop and turn around without warning, people wearing headphones, people that hear "on your left" and loving move left, etc.? Cars are scary, but most drivers are in their lanes and paying attention to what is going on. Pedestrians, may as well all be autists.

So, as a cyclist you're saying you're annoyed with sharing a surface with people going significantly slower than your natural speed, who sometimes make themselves hard to pass safely? You say they sometimes move unpredictably and/or don't pay enough attention to the faster moving things around them, even though they could be seriously injured if something went wrong?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I know I had no problem counting how many times the basketball was passed: https://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo

E: attempting to embed on phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

I saw 14 passes and the gorilla.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Ok, so car drivers hate bike riders and bike riders hate pedestrians, but can we all at least agree that horse riders are the worst?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Karma Monkey posted:

Ok, so car drivers hate bike riders and bike riders hate pedestrians, but can we all at least agree that horse riders are the worst?

People riding horses on the road because they're entitled? Yes.

People riding horses on the road for cultural and religious reasons (the Amish, for example)? Perfectly fine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Cyclist also hate other cyclists.

You don't ever hear "oh, you drive a car? gently caress, I hate those people, you wouldn't believe the poo poo I saw someone pull the other day."

But someone on a bike does something dumb/wrong, and I get bitched at.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

People riding horses on the road for cultural and religious reasons (the Amish, for example)? Perfectly fine.

When it comes to sharing the road with things other than cars, the Amish are some of the most courteous I've encountered. Though, given their belief system I guess that kind of makes sense.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
^^^ Seconding this.

PCOS Bill posted:

Oh god, I forgot about the Amish! And I even grew up around them. No, I definitely don't mean the Amish. :ohdear: Actually, I wasn't even thinking of roads. I was thinking about all the lovely hiking trails that are utterly destroyed by the horse people. Like I said (about 100 pgs ago by now) earlier in the thread, I don't even mind the joggers and bikes on the trail, but the horse people... ugh.

jamal posted:

Cyclist also hate other cyclists.

You don't ever hear "oh, you drive a car? gently caress, I hate those people, you wouldn't believe the poo poo I saw someone pull the other day."

But someone on a bike does something dumb/wrong, and I get bitched at.

Honestly, around here I'm more afraid for them than annoyed by them. The stuff I see people do around bikes, motorcycles, and pedestrians scares the poo poo out of me. I get why people would be annoyed at them, but christ, some of the drivers here seem aggressively, actively, murderously hostile toward them.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PCOS Bill posted:

I saw 14 passes and the gorilla.

I saw 16 and a gorilla :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

wolrah posted:

So, as a cyclist you're saying you're annoyed with sharing a surface with people going significantly slower than your natural speed, who sometimes make themselves hard to pass safely? You say they sometimes move unpredictably and/or don't pay enough attention to the faster moving things around them, even though they could be seriously injured if something went wrong?

You could give cyclists everything they would ever dream of asking for, and they'll still find a reason to complain and not use it.