Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

al-azad posted:

Epic Mickey was seriously limited by its chosen platform. Had it been an Xbox 360 title it would've been different but there wasn't much hope for a truly standout title on Wii.

Epic Mickey 2 came out on the PS3 and still sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is an accurate portrayal of camping in the Ukraine, could one say Darkwood is likewise for Poland's countryside?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZearothK posted:

So, if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is an accurate portrayal of camping in the Ukraine, could one say Darkwood is likewise for Poland's countryside?
I've haven't seen much of the place except for Silesia, but it's actually pretty nice. The countryside, at least, is pretty much the same as anywhere you'd find in rural Germany, except maybe a bit colder.

There are plenty of trees, but then again central Europe is pretty much just one big-rear end forest anyway, so that doesn't say much.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
does the yomawari sequel also have rng encounters which make the games side content impossible to complete like the first game?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

And so the end has come, but not without 31 games fully reviewed and mostly streamed. This year has seen some particularly high highs, along with the usual lows, and hopefully you were there to see them happen in the moment. If not, I will remind you of my YouTube channel where all of our streaming exploits will remain forever and ever. But as far as reviews go, we can break them down right here, as we always do. Also you'll have to forgive me for being lazy... these links below link to my posts in the Steam thread because holy hell this list is a pain in the rear end to format.

The Top Five

20. Sagebrush
30. The Evil Within 2
29. Darkwood
1. Little Nightmares
24. Yomawari: Midnight Shadows

It’s honestly hard to limit this year’s premium selection to just five, but these are absolutely the five games that I want everyone to be aware of from our adventure. Sagebrush is simply one of the best walking-sim-style horror games I’ve played, making incredible use of its aesthetic and narrative beats to create an atmosphere of dread that’s all in the player’s head. In contrast, The Evil Within 2 is probably the most fun I had this month with its open-world trappings. Darkwood is a high-water mark for the genre in terms of style, and Little Nightmares is not far behind in the same area. Yomawari isn’t quite going to be for everybody, but if it is you absolutely should not miss this excellent mix of Japanese cuteness and darkness.

The Treats

2. OK/NORMAL
3. Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
5. Paratopic
6. Rusty Lake Paradise
7. Cube Escape: Paradox
9. Dead Secret
10. All Haze Eve
14. Observer
16. Cultist Simulator
18. Nevermind
19. CONCLUSE
21. The Painscreek Killings
23. The Evil Within
25. Dead Secret Circle
26. Disturbed: Beyond Aramor

If you need fresh spooks this Halloween, any of these should do the trick. We’ve got lo-res weirdness with OK/NORMAL, Paratopic, All Haze Eve, and CONCLUSE, each of them a unique take on the genre. The recent Rusty Lake games are both very high-quality and should not be missed IF you’re already deep in that lore. Observer is a big improvement over Layers of Fear in both pacing and story, and Nevermind is a surprisingly effective indie take on psychological horror. Speaking of first-person games, Unforgiving is one of the most creative and scary I played this year, while Painscreek and the Dead Secret games will scratch your investigative itch.

The Tricks

4. Rise of Insanity
8. INFERNIUM
11. Welcome to Hanwell
12. Gray Dawn
13. The Last Cargo
15. Dark Deception
17. House of Evil
22. A Room Beyond
27. Lucie
28. Play With Me
31. Call of Cthulhu

We all know how wrong horror games can go, and this year we had quite the spread of ways it can go wrong in. There were boring titles like Rise of Insanity, insane ones like Gray Dawn and House of Evil, and infuriating ones like Dark Deception and Play With Me. A Room Beyond was a particular disappointment, as I tend to love lo-fi adventures like that, but alas. The biggest disappointment of the month though goes to Call of Cthulhu, which sets up a perfectly promising cosmic horror adventure and then fumbles every chance it gets.

In any event, we did it. We survived. Year five of our spooky soiree is in the can, and hopefully it’s been just as illuminating as the last four. As always, you have my undying thanks for following along and tuning in as I worked through this wall of horrors. I’ll look forward to seeing you for our next seasonal series in just over a month, and until then, may your scares be plentiful and thrilling.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah that new call of cthulu is gonna be a pass from me. I should get back and finish evil within 2.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The AVClub did a roundup of great horror games and while most of it was predictable, I hadn't heard of Cyberqueen, a free short interactive fiction thing written with Twine.

quote:

System Shock and its sequel (see below) work in part as large-scale interactions with a terrifying antagonist named Shodan, a ship-controlling, world-dominating AI. Released more than a decade later, Cyberqueen is a short, beguiling piece of interactive fiction by Porpentine about what it would be like to be in her clutches. What it would be like to be deformed, transformed, made something entirely other than human at the hands of a detached digital divinity. It is, unique for video games, a bit other than just straight horror. It’s borderline erotic horror, depending on your tastes. Cyberqueen builds itself on the assumption that losing your identity at the hands of an omnipotent machine domme is terrifying. But also, probably, kind of hot.

Having just played it, Cyberqueen is certainly horrifying and genuinely unpleasant. It reminds me of some of the darkest parts of I Have No Mouth And Must Scream. It's really good though, if you like that kind of vibe.

http://aliendovecote.com/uploads/twine/LD25/CYBERQUEEN.html

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Having just played it, Cyberqueen is certainly horrifying and genuinely unpleasant. It reminds me of some of the darkest parts of I Have No Mouth And Must Scream. It's really good though, if you like that kind of vibe.

http://aliendovecote.com/uploads/twine/LD25/CYBERQUEEN.html

Jesus the bit where the drill goes in your head. :gonk:

Definitely a pro-click but be prepared for some pretty intense body horror.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

P.T. apparently got some minor patch guys!

It disables the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no patch some guy just got his account licenses messed up which happens sometimes it still works for everyone else

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yardbomb posted:

P.T. apparently got some minor patch guys!

It disables the game.

If they are then I can finally delete the thing from my ps4. I don't want to delete it now since I can't get it back but if they kill it? Sure why not

There's like a million videos I can watch on YouTube of the thing so no real loss

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

Jesus the bit where the drill goes in your head. :gonk:

Definitely a pro-click but be prepared for some pretty intense body horror.

I considered a content warning, but figured in the horror thread, people would tread cautiously.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Too Shy Guy, I want to thank you for your incredibly good posts. Thanks for doing that and making this thread so great every October.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'll second that. Thank you and looking forward to the next year.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I considered a content warning, but figured in the horror thread, people would tread cautiously.
And if they don't, they still don't exactly get to complain that it was, you know, horrifying.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Too Shy Guy, I want to thank you for your incredibly good posts. Thanks for doing that and making this thread so great every October.

I kind of just blundered in here because 'tis the season and wanted to say the same. I went back and read all 31 reviews of yours and they were really interesting and were a major influence on my Steam sale splurge. Thanks for making the effort and for your very fair, candid insights.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pedro0930 posted:

Just finish COC, it's pretty short but I expected it at the price point.

You expect short from $45?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nthing the praise, TSG. You're doing God's work.

s.i.r.e. posted:

You expect short from $45?

Forty-five bucks isn't 60.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Really want to thank you Too Shy Guy. Incredible posts and I'm always looking forward to see your recommendations for the Halloween sales. Just this month you convinced me to buy 3 games, so. Congrats.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been thinking waaaay too much about the Friday the 13th NES game and how it was the original escape-the-house style horror game popular today where you're balancing spinning plates against a nigh invulnerable enemy. I would like to see a remake of that game because it has a ton of good ideas just really lovely execution.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

I've been thinking waaaay too much about the Friday the 13th NES game and how it was the original escape-the-house style horror game popular today where you're balancing spinning plates against a nigh invulnerable enemy. I would like to see a remake of that game because it has a ton of good ideas just really lovely execution.

that music, too. that drat music.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Len posted:

If they are then I can finally delete the thing from my ps4. I don't want to delete it now since I can't get it back but if they kill it? Sure why not

There's like a million videos I can watch on YouTube of the thing so no real loss

You can get it back. I even got it installed on my Pro back in December! Just google for instructions, it involves running a proxy on your PC and a program that lets you go through an alternate entry point to PS Store servers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I want a complete tour of Lovecraft bulletpoints, that a Private Eye or whatever you prefer goes through with a sense of resigned irritation. Not a single gently caress is given in their investigation no matter what dark lore or quivering mass of flesh falls under his gaze. Treating it all as just another waste of a case without a payday.

So that when asked how he could ever withstand the knowledge of such horrors, they reveal he thought he was in a different cliche. "Fear the wiggly space men? But everyone knows humans are the real monsters!" :downs: Maybe he spends the end credits giving a monologue about how grim it is the dame that hired him killed her own brother for inheritance money. The fact he rose from the grave as a flesh puppet of otherworldly parasites is beside the point.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 1, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deadguy2322 posted:

You can get it back. I even got it installed on my Pro back in December! Just google for instructions, it involves running a proxy on your PC and a program that lets you go through an alternate entry point to PS Store servers.

That's a lot more work than I'm willing to do for a demo of a game that will never exist

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bogart posted:

Forty-five bucks isn't 60.

Doesn't matter, $45 is still a lot if the experience is short.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Call of Cthulhu is bad and not worth 45 bucks.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I was mad playing Call of Cthulhu for free, spending $45 for it might have made me lose my mind.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! Spooktober is my favorite month of the year, though I am a bit relieved it's over so I can actually rest for a bit. I'll try to pop in more often with reviews, too. I played some of this ghost-hunting game Apparition tonight, and I'm trying to get a copy of this game called HellSign I heard about.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, you've only gone and done it.

I've loving bought darkwood after years of going "i probably should" and even got through the prologue. That's a fairly decent twist start.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

s.i.r.e. posted:

Doesn't matter, $45 is still a lot if the experience is short.

I think it's dumb to measure a video game's worth by its length. As someone who plays a lot of games with '60+ hours of gameplay!' marketed on their boxes (RPGs, mostly), I'd much rather have a tighter, shorter experience, price point be damned.

That said, from what I can tell CoC is simply not worth the price, no matter the length.

Anyway, so I saw this game, 'Death Mark', recently show up on the PSN store. Anyone know anything about it? From the one review i've found, it looks like some investigative monster-of-the-week horror visual novel.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm fine paying £10 for a film that lasts two hours. Maybe £15.

Definitely not spending triple that for a game that only lasts three, tbh.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finished jj macfield and the island of memories.

So good.

Also how do I get the extra texts after the end of the game? I'll probably start replaying to get missed donuts when I get home later.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Morpheus posted:

I think it's dumb to measure a video game's worth by its length. As someone who plays a lot of games with '60+ hours of gameplay!' marketed on their boxes (RPGs, mostly), I'd much rather have a tighter, shorter experience, price point be damned.

That said, from what I can tell CoC is simply not worth the price, no matter the length.

Anyway, so I saw this game, 'Death Mark', recently show up on the PSN store. Anyone know anything about it? From the one review i've found, it looks like some investigative monster-of-the-week horror visual novel.

I love visual novels and was very excited about it! Unfortunately there are things in there that made me change my mind about getting it. But anyway, PlayStation lifestyle and rpg gamer have reviews on it that seem fair. It is a monster of the week adventure-style visual novel. Each night you go out and need to find a ghost haunting a particular location; the interesting part of it is that you actually do get to explore the locations a bit like ace attorney. Also like ace attorney there are parts where you need to go through all you have learned and chose the right options in the Live or Die parts and in the boss fights for each night. You also take companions with You, there's a big cast, but from what I've read they are pretty average story wise, there's more focus on the ghost stories.

I recommend reading reviews (those two mention the cons) and maybe even seeing a bit of the game first on YouTube? Most people are saying it's solid for spooks at least.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I think it's dumb to measure a video game's worth by its length.
I think it's perfectly fair to judge a game by how much value you think you'll get out of it compared to its retail price. With how many games these days end up being ever-so-pretty three hour snore-fests you can get through in an afternoon, "length" is a pretty meaningful for evaluating how much entertaining content you'll be getting out of it overall. I'd rather not spend 50-plus dollars only to find myself wishing I had spent that money on books or movies instead, because it would have been better value for the same price.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

Finished jj macfield and the island of memories.

So good.

Also how do I get the extra texts after the end of the game? I'll probably start replaying to get missed donuts when I get home later.

They're extra collectibles that only show up on NG+

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it's perfectly fair to judge a game by how much value you think you'll get out of it compared to its retail price. With how many games these days end up being ever-so-pretty three hour snore-fests you can get through in an afternoon, "length" is a pretty meaningful for evaluating how much entertaining content you'll be getting out of it overall. I'd rather not spend 50-plus dollars only to find myself wishing I had spent that money on books or movies instead, because it would have been better value for the same price.

I suppose that's true to an extent - it occurs to me I was assuming that a comparison was being made between, say, a 40-hour game and a 20-hour one, which I think its not important to distinguish between. But yeah, if the game is short as hell and there's no value to be gained from playing it again, sure, price can come into play.

I think what I mean, in context of your comment, is that length is part of the value of a game, not the entire value of a game, which is why saying something like 'it's too short for its price' is silly in my eyes. Look at Alien Isolation, for example - a pretty good game in which the length actively works against its quality, and it's likely because someone at some point said "this game is too short, it should be longer to justify a bigger price point" when that was a mistake.

Plus as someone who has a diminishing amount of free time available in his life, I find that I'm starting to prefer games that err on the shorter side of things, but that's of course a personal preference.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

I think what I mean, in context of your comment, is that length is part of the value of a game, not the entire value of a game, which is why saying something like 'it's too short for its price' is silly in my eyes.
Of course. In the end, the deciding factor is always whether a person thinks they got their money's worth out of the purchase. If you take that kind of complaint to mean that only the length matters, then it's of course a stupid thing to say. If you take it to mean "this was otherwise a fun game, but I don't think it was long enough to be a satisfying experience for the price," then it's far more reasonable.

Personally, I also find myself playing games less and less these days, but I suppose one thing that I also have to say is that I don't play games to finish them, and in fact rarely ever do. I can count the number of games I own that I have ever actually played all the way through on two hands maybe, I usually drop stuff at any point where I start to feel bored with it.

I really just play games to have fun playing them, and a large part of that is having the feeling that I haven't seen everything yet and that there's more new and interesting things left to get to. Most of those unfinished games, I could pick back up at any point and basically still have full game's worth of fun from it because there are parts I haven't seen yet. As a consequence, length and overall amount of content do play an important role for me in deciding whether a game will a good buy.

Once I finish a game, I'm done with it. I'll never play it again and can't get any further value out of it all. Games I never finish are purchase that keeps on giving.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Hours per $ is a dumb metric for games but at least for me, short games for 40+ should either have some replayability or be drat good

Shame about CoC, at least there’s another game about some investigator in a city with eldritch things coming next year, right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most horror games tend to be fairly short with lower production values compared to the average so people are expecting some cheap thrills, unless it's an IP with some money behind it like Resident Evil.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And the recent full-price Resident Evil game was anything but short, either. 10+ hours for a straight plot-only run with no big completionism is pretty good for an AAA action-horror title, especially since RE as a series tends to be a bit on the short side. You can speedrun RE1 in like half an hour or so.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

And the recent full-price Resident Evil game was anything but short, either. 10+ hours for a straight plot-only run with no big completionism is pretty good for an AAA action-horror title, especially since RE as a series tends to be a bit on the short side. You can speedrun RE1 in like half an hour or so.

Did I play the same RE7? I don't remember it being that long but maybe i misjudged the time since it was fun and never really felt like a slog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

Did I play the same RE7? I don't remember it being that long but maybe i misjudged the time since it was fun and never really felt like a slog
It's an average. If you found everything right away and never died, I guess you can get through it in seven, but I've also seen people take 15 hours or more. There is a lot of content, especially if you crawl through all the corners to get all the ancient coins and such.