Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Weltlich posted:

Does anyone have a dead simple electric or non elctric knife sharpener they recommend? I have one of the setups that uses a swing arm and multiple stones so that I can put a wicked edge on my cutlery, but ffs I do not have the time to break it out anymore. I need a sharpener that sharpens to an acceptable edge, quickly and easily. Im not worried if it is overly aggressive because the knives I use I bought for 15 dollars 20 years ago.

Fiskars knows what they're about and their sharpeners are cheap and easy to use. Probably not the level of a pro setup or whatever but doesn't sound like you care about that. Try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Sharp-978700-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B0075D8K3O?th=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You might also try asking in the Kitchen Knives thread

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why Topo Chico specifically? I've only ever had them from glass bottles but I'm assuming I don't want to use glass.

And is using CO2 filled for paintball safe? I'm not sure I want to buy a big rear end scuba sized tank of CO2 like you've got there.

I'm not 100% sure on the whole paintball thing. When I looked into it a while back, some people said that it's fine; some people said that sometimes there's gunk/oil/other stuff in it and to avoid.

It might be good to post in the homebrewing thread, the people that use kegs may have a better idea on that point.

I seem to remember that most paintball places only fill small tanks, and getting a larger one (5 lbs is a typical size for homebrew) can have significant savings over the long term. You typically get pretty good discounts the more you buy, so a 5 lb tank will cost less than twice of a 2.5 lb tank. Depends on the place, prices are all over the place.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 6, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There's a homebrew shop nearby that I'll stop by when I have some time. Didn't even think of checking there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

They'll often do cylinder swaps at homebrew shops. You buy in for a full tank, then you just pay a fee to swap your empty for another full one when it's finished. They're usually 5lb tanks in the US.

If they don't offer exchanges or refills then they'll probably know who does. And if they don't know then your closest homebrewing club probably would know.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
When making bone broth (like using leftover carcass from a chicken). Should I break open the bones to expose the marrow? Should I do this before or after roasting the bones? What temperature and how long should I roast chicken bones?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kwolok posted:

When making bone broth (like using leftover carcass from a chicken). Should I break open the bones to expose the marrow? Should I do this before or after roasting the bones? What temperature and how long should I roast chicken bones?

Anywhere from 150 to 180 centigrade, and until they have a pleasant golden brown sticky look to them. As to breaking, they'll break easier after they've been in the oven.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
How do I make delicious chickpeas like the ones from doubles?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DildenAnders posted:

How do I make delicious chickpeas like the ones from doubles?

https://cookingwithria.com/2018/12/how-to-make-trinidad-doubles-detailed-recipe-instructions/

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Desert Bus posted:

Fiskars knows what they're about and their sharpeners are cheap and easy to use. Probably not the level of a pro setup or whatever but doesn't sound like you care about that. Try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Sharp-978700-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B0075D8K3O?th=1

This is exactly what I was looking for. Super simple but still decent quality. Thanks!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Air fryer question time. I had a Gourmia air fryer that came from Costco a few months ago. It was impossible to clean either by hand or the dishwasher, so I returned it. I'm looking for a replacement, just a regular basket-style air fryer for my wife and I. It'll cook chicken, fish, side dishes, veggies, etc. - mostly mains and sides, not so much fried snacks. It seems like the Ninja Pro XL is the decent choice, and the Cosori Dual Blaze seems like it'd be a good gimmick with having heating elements at the top and bottom to not have to shake. I'm not sure I want to spend $180 on an air fryer, though - any recommendations below $100ish new or used/refurbished/not presently subject to recall?

Optimally it should be able to hold three bone-in chicken thighs in one layer. Gotta be the basket style, I'd be moving it onto and off of the counter onto a kitchen cart for storage.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have an Instant Vortex Plus air fryer. It's basket style, can definitely hold three bone-in thighs, and is easy to clean. Right now it's about $100 but I'm sure you can find it on some site that offers a coupon or something.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I was a bit meh on the Instant line since they don't sell replacement parts - if that basket liner goes south on me, the entire air fryer becomes useless.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have this monstrosity and it's very useful, however the first one I bought the doors didn't work right. They sent me a new one and I now have extras of all the trays and baskets etc. Bit out of your preferred price range but I like it way batter than the little ones with the tiny basket or whatever. I can rotisserie a whole chicken if I want. I love my oven but this does most of that work and a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/Emeril-Lagasse-Convection-Toaster-Stainless/dp/B09B7SB46R?ref_=ast_sto_dp

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

MJP posted:

I was a bit meh on the Instant line since they don't sell replacement parts - if that basket liner goes south on me, the entire air fryer becomes useless.

Basket liner? You mean the insert that goes into the drawer? While I can't imagine anything "going south" with a piece of metal and a few silicone nubs, it's just a trivet...you could use anything to keep the food off the floor of the basket. The basket itself is just nonstick-coated metal. It's a really simple piece of machinery - if anything's going to go wrong with the oven part, I'd imagine it'd happen in the first year and be covered under warranty. After that, well, unfortunately $100 is around the price point nowadays where kitchen equipment is seen as relatively disposable.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How do y'all like cooking raw sausages without a grill?

I know you can pan fry 'em, but the "trick" I was lead to was to put them in a shallow pot of water (just enough to cover) and heat from cold until just boiling, so that you cook it through, and only have to worry about finishing it on a pan. I wonder a little if i'm losing something effectively boiling them though?

...can I do them in an air fryer? Would that be any good? I suppose it'd be similar to doing them in an oven which I'm not familiar with for sausage, and feels like it might not get their outsides crisp in the way you might want, but on the other hand oven bacon works great?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Matthew Fort's opinion is to fry them in a pan, but on a low enough heat that you have time to take your partner a cup of tea in bed and chat with them for a bit. Ten minutes a side should be fine, somewhere between low and medium.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just put them in a pan with some water and once the water evaporates turn it up. Similar to the water+pan method with bacon. I wouldn't put it in a separate pot. I'm sure air fryer works great, works for hot dogs.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I cook them in water in a skillet, then pour off the water and sear them on high for just a bit at the end. Cooks them evenly and you still get a decently crisp skin if you do it right.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

How do y'all like cooking raw sausages without a grill?

I know you can pan fry 'em, but the "trick" I was lead to was to put them in a shallow pot of water (just enough to cover) and heat from cold until just boiling, so that you cook it through, and only have to worry about finishing it on a pan. I wonder a little if i'm losing something effectively boiling them though?

...can I do them in an air fryer? Would that be any good? I suppose it'd be similar to doing them in an oven which I'm not familiar with for sausage, and feels like it might not get their outsides crisp in the way you might want, but on the other hand oven bacon works great?

is it bad form to quote yourself?

DasNeonLicht posted:

I am a big fan of baking sausages — sometimes the casings split, but otherwise very must much set-and-forget, and the skins get evenly crispy

I would add, single person hack: freeze them individually out of the package for sausages whenever a single 3 oz sausage cooks from frozen in 30 minutes in a 325F toaster oven

you could also throw one frozen in a skillet on the stove with peppers and onions, covering from time to time, and the steam from the vegetables will help the sausage cook

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Or just do what Mr. Sausage does and cook it on a hotplate in your basement.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I just cook em in a frying pan. Is there a big problem of uncooked sausages? Like normal link sausage? Obviously not a problem with the superior square sausage.

I ate some sausages that someone had boiled before frying, and combining with grapes but that's another story, and they were terrible as they'd removed a lot of the fat from them in the boiling process so I don't recommend that.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Annath posted:

I cook them in water in a skillet, then pour off the water and sear them on high for just a bit at the end. Cooks them evenly and you still get a decently crisp skin if you do it right.

This is the best answer, but the traditional way to cook Italian sausages is: boil em, drain em, slice and fry em. It might seem like you are wasting fat when you drain them, but that would have rendered off, anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just cook 'em in a frying pan with a little oil :shrug:

Baking also works well, but I only do that if I have other things to bake too, it's not worth heating up the oven for just the sausage otherwise.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I cook them the same way I cook dumplings. I cook them with some water, let it boil/evaporate and then finish them with some browning. I've never really felt like the boiling step removed any flavour and for the most part they end up juicy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rendering chicken skin

Is it done when it stops bubbling?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its done when you try some and you decide it's done

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its done when you fry some and you decide it's done

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I can see the individual chicken molecules.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ok, so the skins from a 12 pound Costco pack of chicken thighs seems to render a pint of schmaltz

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Worth its weight in gold.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Beautiful

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Skin solids ground up to make a kibble topping for dog, bones pressure cooked for consomm

Costco bone in skin on thighs are $1.50/lb. If you remove the skin and thighs you get meat at a rate of $2.25/lb, which is still better than their boneless skinless thighs, which is $3.50/lb, plus you get skin and bones!

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
https://imgur.com/ldT2aWz

I'm having some trouble posting images. The link goes to an image of steel cut oats at my local Publix.
Bob's Red Mill sells "Gluten Free" steel cut oats, alongside their regular steel cut oats. I thought oats don't have gluten in the first place?
Also the price for the gluten free oats is 2/3 more for some reason.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bagheera posted:

https://imgur.com/ldT2aWz

I'm having some trouble posting images. The link goes to an image of steel cut oats at my local Publix.
Bob's Red Mill sells "Gluten Free" steel cut oats, alongside their regular steel cut oats. I thought oats don't have gluten in the first place?
Also the price for the gluten free oats is 2/3 more for some reason.
I think you are correct that oats don't have gluten but they are apparently commonly cross contaminated in shipping and processing so the difference is probably that they are specially shipped and processed separately from other grains to avoid that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are trace amounts enough to affect someone with celiacs?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Food safety question:

I went to my cousin's house for Easter (two weeks ago), she gave me some leftover ham (fully cooked) in a plastic container. It's been in my fridge since, and I'm kicking myself for not vacuum sealing and freezing it.

What are the odds it is still safe to eat? Assuming it's not slimy or smelly. I haven't checked it yet. I hate being wasteful so I'd hate to throw it out, but just not sure if I should trust it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Food safety question:

I went to my cousin's house for Easter (two weeks ago), she gave me some leftover ham (fully cooked) in a plastic container. It's been in my fridge since, and I'm kicking myself for not vacuum sealing and freezing it.

What are the odds it is still safe to eat? Assuming it's not slimy or smelly. I haven't checked it yet. I hate being wasteful so I'd hate to throw it out, but just not sure if I should trust it.
Two weeks is pretty long. Maybe some people would inspect it and see if it still seems good but personally I would just toss it at that point.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If its bad itll smell bad. Ham depending on how its prepped is usually cured / smoked which buys you a little time.

If it smells ok try a small piece, if it tastes remotely off, dump it.

If you have pregnant or immunocompromised people eating it just toss it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Are trace amounts enough to affect someone with celiacs?

Yes.