Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

zedprime posted:

I think all you really need to know is that Putin has a similar suit as yours, but his rockets let him fly.

It's just annoying since I never had a problem with MGRR's cutscenes, I dunno why this port is causing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty dead I'd suspect. Steam's new gift restrictions kill that kind of thing.

What did they change?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What did they change?

- You can't store games as inventory items to gift later
- You can only gift games across regions, if the price difference is at most 10%

e: gifting to email addresses is gone as well

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 19, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
On a different note, Iconoclasts seems like it's finally coming out, and I may actually be hype for a thing. Been a long five years waiting for this.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
Would running several gift trains by region be an option?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but :effort:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Incorrect, Do You Still Shower With Your Dad: Dad Showering Simulator is actually a lot deeper gameplay wise than it at first appears. It kinda falls in that Try Not To Fart spot, where the idea is stupid, and the resources spent on it are appropriate, but somehow they made something worth playing.

This is why I'm playing hunniepop.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Too Shy Guy posted:

Gary Whitta used to write for PC Gamer, which makes it all the more amazing he's gone as far as he has. Gives all the rest of us hope, really.

I know this is late, but I'm catching up on the thread. I wanted to say that I've been listening to old PC Gamer podcast episodes from 2006 and Whitta is on there all the time. He is definitely the best guy to listen to on that awful thing. The hosts on that show are made up of dipshits, misogynists, homophobes and racists. I mean, they're all that in the way that you can forgive your ignorant uncle for because he grew up in Arkansas in the 60s or whatever. Like, there's no malice behind it, but whenever I hear the main host guy utter some transphobic But anyway, Whitta is great to listen to because he has good foresight. When Oblivion came out, the other hosts were barely managing a continuous never ending orgasm about it, but Whitta suggested that the game isn't really that good and he points out a lot of flaws that now seem obvious but back then, it's easy to imagine being so hypnotized by the game's beauty that one cannot see the problems. Which is a major problem when your podcast is made up of PC game reviewers -- they do this with several games that in retrospect seem really dumb, but Whitta seemed to be constant and consistent with his opinions.

Anyway, I'd never actually heard of him until I started listening to this decade-old podcast, and then I finally got around to seeing Book of Eli, and saw that he wrote it, and I thought this couldn't be the same derpy gaming nerd I'm listening to, but...yes, it is great how far he's come.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

strategery posted:

This is why I'm playing hunniepop.

Steam Thread: I only play Huniepop for the articles

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On a different note, Iconoclasts seems like it's finally coming out, and I may actually be hype for a thing. Been a long five years waiting for this.

Looks interesting but what does that game do that hasn't bee done?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Finally. It's been looking great forever.

Shadows of Mordor is $5 on Newegg, GOTY for $10. Probably better/same deal as Steam's sale, right? ITAD agrees with me, it seems. I think I've convinced myself already.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Turd Herder posted:

There's an alpha floating around but it's basically just an extremely solid metroidvania.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

dromal phrenia posted:

Is Conarium any good? Because I want it to be good, but usually Lovecraftian games are disappointing

Thanks, that'll help a lot! Although it might lead to a lot of stuff on my wishlist that isn't so much "I want to play" as it is "I will play for <$10"
this is from like a week ago, but yeah, conarium is solid. im enjoying it a lot, but im also a sucker for all that lovecraft stuff

nb: it's a spooky walking simulator, rather than a true horror or adventure game, so be aware of that

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Turd Herder posted:

konjak's games are Very Fun

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Turd Herder posted:

I dunno, its not out yet! However, the same creator did Noitu Love 2, which was one of the most criminally underrated side scrollers on the PC, in my opinion.

I'm not looking for a new gimmick necessarily, I'm just hoping for a solid example of the genre.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I dunno, its not out yet! However, the same creator did Noitu Love 2, which was one of the most criminally underrated side scrollers on the PC, in my opinion.

I'm not looking for a new gimmick necessarily, I'm just hoping for a solid example of the genre.

I'll add it to my wish list and see how it plays out. Thanks for sharing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Turd Herder posted:

I'll add it to my wish list and see how it plays out. Thanks for sharing.

There's a pretty solid alpha at http://www.konjak.org

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

That's a really bad game though. Get Witcher 3 instead, a much better game about being a good dad

My joking aside, this is also a good suggestion. Like I said, lots of great dad themed games out there with less soap and nudity. Although Witcher 3 has the latter covered. Or uncovered, as it were.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ragequit posted:

My joking aside, this is also a good suggestion. Like I said, lots of great dad themed games out there with less soap and nudity. Although Witcher 3 has the latter covered. Or uncovered, as it were.

good news

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spider wisdom posted:

Shadows of Mordor is $5 on Newegg, GOTY for $10. Probably better/same deal as Steam's sale, right? ITAD agrees with me, it seems. I think I've convinced myself already.

Bundlestars has the GOTY version for $5 right now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

spider wisdom posted:

Finally. It's been looking great forever.

This is worth it, by the way. I started a new playthrough the other day because I'm getting hyped about Shadow of War, and it still holds up pretty well. The batman combat is really well-implemented, and the Nemesis System orc captains have a lot of variety and personality. It shows its seams a little- I feel like a lot of missions were more or less missing a previous cutscene to provide context. Overall, though, it's a lot of fun to gently caress around with orc politics, and figure out semi-open ended warchief assassinations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Victor Vran is dirt cheap, and I think I remember hearing good things about it. How is it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Victor Vran is dirt cheap, and I think I remember hearing good things about it. How is it?
Fun. As long as you don't mind some of the more cringeworthy memes and jokes, it's really solid and the emphasis on manual dodging makes the gameplay a lot more exciting than your typical ARPG.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Siralim 2 is free on Android this weekend but it's also on steam. It got linked in the roguelike thread but it's most of like an endless grind RPG with monster summoning and breeding and some cool progression elements (build your castle, gain favour with 15 gods, do some side quests). It's really good.

Yeah I want to quote this and say Siralim 2 is an extremely good game and completely worth the $15 price point. I got 35 hours of enjoyment out of it before deciding to take a break and I still plan to go back and start a new game sometime soon.

It's like Dragon Quest Monsters minus storyline and plus a ton of dungeon-crawling and base-building mechanics. My only complaint is that the spell system can leave you high and dry with no good spells for a long time if RNG isn't in your favor, but it's easy enough to rely on physical attack monsters until then or just take along one of the monsters that gives all other monsters in your party a specific spell as their unique trait. Also some of the themed monster sets that are intended to be used together (e.g. hounds, I think?) have some pretty major gaps in their lineups that make them hard to use for boss fights.

e: But the boss fights are incredibly well designed and force you to constantly adapt your party composition as you progress deeper and that's awesome.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 19, 2017

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Which are the good AssCreed games? Black Flag is supposed to be fun, right?

Theres a bunch on sale at GamersGate but I dont know which, if any, to get.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

John Murdoch posted:

Bundlestars has the GOTY version for $5 right now.

Dang. Thank you!

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

dromal phrenia posted:

People will say Black Flag (and mostly be right) but Syndicate is what I personally enjoyed the most. Good setting, good performance, improved stealth and controls, fun grappling hook, lots of ways to finish missions.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dromal phrenia posted:

Black Flag and Syndicate are both good picks.

Black Flag is notable because it's a high-seas piracy simulator. Doing pirate poo poo and exploring all the little islands is fun as hell, but the story missions are rear end. It's very pretty, and it's fun to use your boat to gently caress up other boats, and boarding enemy boats to take them over is neat. The cities are small and boring, though, and the story missions are almost all "follow these assholes and eavesdrop", it feels like. A few of the story missions are cool; the one where you free a bunch of sugar plantation slaves is pretty open-ended, for example- you have the run of the whole facility, and you can hide in the fields. The fort invasions are kinda fun, but they're pretty samey. It's amusing to bust into the officer's room and just end that guy with a pistol shot every time, though.

Syndicate drops the boat stuff, but Victorian London is loving beautiful to explore, and rendered with a lot more color and vibrancy than is typically portrayed in popular media. Your home base is a steam train that's constantly circling around the map. You get a batman-style grappling gun that you can use to hookshot up to the roofs, make ziplines, and so on. The story missions are mostly heist preparation-style deals that lead up to semi-open ended "infiltrate this facility and kill a dude in one of the following ways, preferrably" scenarios. The player character is twins, Evie and Jacob. You can swap between them at will outside of missions, and each has their own skill tree. Evie is fun to play as because her hand-to-hand style is like outlandishly brutal. Jacob just kind of punches the poo poo out of people; Evie goes for the pressure points and joint breaks. She also gets the ability to turn invisible if she stands still as her skill tree capstone, which lets you get up to some completely ludicrous ninja poo poo in the latter 1/3 of the game (or more if you grind for some reason).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Im level 37 both the boosters and the level system have both been very "exciting". I wish it was usable in a game or the collection was interesting.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I seem to have pushed past most of the bad stuff on my list, so I'm finally back to playing things that are at least fun, if not super amazing.

1. Primordia
2. Black Mirror III
3. Puzzle Agent
4. Puzzle Agent 2
5. The Silent Age
6. Else Heart.Break()
7. The Sea Will Claim Everything
8. A New Beginning - Final Cut
9. The Shivah
10. Nicolas Eymerich - The Inquisitor - Book 1 : The Plague
11. Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
12. Between Me and The Night

13. Namariel Legends: Iron Lord Premium Edition

Here's a zen koan for you: When is a hidden object game not a hidden object game? When it has no hidden object scenes, obviously. Minus those the game should become a point-and-click adventure, and yet there's something quintessentially HOGgy about what you're left with. Namariel Legends is just that, a hidden object game in design, scope, and style, just without the scenes that would qualify it as such. And the adventure you're left with is just as charming, if a little simplistic and illogical at times.

The kingdom of Namariel was humming along just fine until the Iron Lord showed up with his legions of scrappy robots, blasting the castle into submission and dethroning its king. The only child of the royal family gets rather hilariously chucked out a window and saved by a passing dirigible, and then the game fast-forwards about 15 years to your Edward-Norton-looking uncle recounting the story to you, who DEFINITELY isn't the lost kid or anything. A chance encounter with the Iron Lord's tinpot soldiers starts you on a journey to save the whole kingdom from his cold, unfeeling grip.

Mind you, this is going to play out with all the jank and circumstance of a hidden object game. You'll wander off to collect crystals and engineer a pulley system to get a bag out of a tree, and come back to your uncle being dragged away by robots. At one point, a big bad will blow up his own airship just to get rid of you. And you'll spend like an hour doing chores to eventually take down a giant Ferngully-style deforesting machine, only for the grease monkey child pilot to join up with you just because. Things will happen because they have to happen that way, and you'll go along with it because most of the game is just mindless clicking anyway.

Every scene of Namariel Legends is from first-person, looking out over some expanse of cave or workshop or forest. They all have items laying about to nab and use in other nearby areas to get yet more items or, on rare occasions, help people out with some problem like being hungry or stung by bees. Parts of the scenes can be zoomed in on for closer looks, and your pointer icon helpfully changes to indicate whenever you can pick up or focus on something. The puzzles involving these items and environments are extremely simple and only require you to use single items to progress; there's no combining or interacting with items beyond that.

This makes for an extremely thin puzzle aspect to the game, which doesn't pair well with the extremely thin story and virtually non-existent NPC interaction. There are some additional gimmicks like a mindscope that lets you read thoughts, necessary for a few puzzles involving animals, and a flying robot helper who you'll need to knock down ladders and shake loose fruits every few screens. Even with these though, there's not much more going on than just having to remember to use them. That just leaves the few actual puzzles, which at least tend to be more creative than the usual ones you get in hidden object games. There's an interesting keycard puzzle that requires moving links of a chain, recasting broken keys from start to finish, and some mazes with tricks to getting around them (though a few of these are a little longer than they should be).

You'll be doing all of this in a fairly well-realized steampunk world that doesn't go bonkers with gears on top hats or anything like that. The scenes are clear and detailed, and you'll run into some creative machines and creatures as you roam the fanciful lands on the way to the embattled castle. This is hardly a groundbreaking or even challenging title, but it's not trying to be, either. Hidden object games exist to pass the time between more substantial activities, and taking the hidden object scenes out of one just makes it an equally casual point-and-click adventure. If you're looking for something with plenty of clicking through simple scene and puzzles, this will definitely get the job done.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
As it winds down, if anyone has keys from the Sekai Project humble bundle, I've got some other bundle stuff from past ones to trade. Trading thread seems to be rather dead so :shrug:

Just let me know.

I'm really just looking for Memory's Dogma.

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 19, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Too Shy Guy posted:

I seem to have pushed past most of the bad stuff on my list, so I'm finally back to playing things that are at least fun, if not super amazing.

1. Primordia
2. Black Mirror III
3. Puzzle Agent
4. Puzzle Agent 2
5. The Silent Age
6. Else Heart.Break()
9. The Shivah

Here's a zen koan for you: When is a hidden object game not a hidden object game? When it has no hidden object scenes, obviously. Minus those the game should become a point-and-click adventure, and yet there's something quintessentially HOGgy about what you're left with. Namariel Legends is just that, a hidden object game in design, scope, and style, just without the scenes that would qualify it as such. And the adventure you're left with is just as charming, if a little simplistic and illogical at times.

The kingdom of Namariel was humming along just fine until the Iron Lord showed up with his legions of scrappy robots, blasting the castle into submission and dethroning its king. The only child of the royal family gets rather hilariously chucked out a window and saved by a passing dirigible, and then the game fast-forwards about 15 years to your Edward-Norton-looking uncle recounting the story to you, who DEFINITELY isn't the lost kid or anything. A chance encounter with the Iron Lord's tinpot soldiers starts you on a journey to save the whole kingdom from his cold, unfeeling grip.

Mind you, this is going to play out with all the jank and circumstance of a hidden object game. You'll wander off to collect crystals and engineer a pulley system to get a bag out of a tree, and come back to your uncle being dragged away by robots. At one point, a big bad will blow up his own airship just to get rid of you. And you'll spend like an hour doing chores to eventually take down a giant Ferngully-style deforesting machine, only for the grease monkey child pilot to join up with you just because. Things will happen because they have to happen that way, and you'll go along with it because most of the game is just mindless clicking anyway.

Every scene of Namariel Legends is from first-person, looking out over some expanse of cave or workshop or forest. They all have items laying about to nab and use in other nearby areas to get yet more items or, on rare occasions, help people out with some problem like being hungry or stung by bees. Parts of the scenes can be zoomed in on for closer looks, and your pointer icon helpfully changes to indicate whenever you can pick up or focus on something. The puzzles involving these items and environments are extremely simple and only require you to use single items to progress; there's no combining or interacting with items beyond that.

This makes for an extremely thin puzzle aspect to the game, which doesn't pair well with the extremely thin story and virtually non-existent NPC interaction. There are some additional gimmicks like a mindscope that lets you read thoughts, necessary for a few puzzles involving animals, and a flying robot helper who you'll need to knock down ladders and shake loose fruits every few screens. Even with these though, there's not much more going on than just having to remember to use them. That just leaves the few actual puzzles, which at least tend to be more creative than the usual ones you get in hidden object games. There's an interesting keycard puzzle that requires moving links of a chain, recasting broken keys from start to finish, and some mazes with tricks to getting around them (though a few of these are a little longer than they should be).

You'll be doing all of this in a fairly well-realized steampunk world that doesn't go bonkers with gears on top hats or anything like that. The scenes are clear and detailed, and you'll run into some creative machines and creatures as you roam the fanciful lands on the way to the embattled castle. This is hardly a groundbreaking or even challenging title, but it's not trying to be, either. Hidden object games exist to pass the time between more substantial activities, and taking the hidden object scenes out of one just makes it an equally casual point-and-click adventure. If you're looking for something with plenty of clicking through simple scene and puzzles, this will definitely get the job done.

I forgot if you did it before but The Last Door is wonderful

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
Ugh why can't the Crimson Court DLC just unlock already?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

I forgot if you did it before but The Last Door is wonderful

I loving love The Last Door and usually cite it as my all-time favorite horror point-and-click.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Too Shy Guy posted:

1. Primordia
2. Black Mirror III
3. Puzzle Agent
4. Puzzle Agent 2
5. The Silent Age
6. Else Heart.Break()
9. The Shivah

Have you reviewed Hypnosis? Please play Hypnosis

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Irritated Goat posted:

As it winds down, if anyone has keys from the Sekai Project humble bundle, I've got some other bundle stuff from past ones to trade. Trading thread seems to be rather dead so :shrug:

Just let me know.

I'm really just looking for Ame no Marginal, Memory's Dogma and Highway Blossoms.

What's your Steam ID?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zaphiel posted:

What's your Steam ID?

Same as here

Irritated Goat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 19, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
While Friday the 13th is not going on sale so close after release, if you want to play NES Jason, get a huge bundle of points (about 20 levels worth) to buy more violent Jason kills from the movies, extra sets of counselor clothes, and a double XP weekend, tomorrow would be a great time to get it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I bought and installed this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487244

I'll be able to play 4K visual novels now. :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Have you reviewed Hypnosis? Please play Hypnosis

I don't have it so I'll add it to the list of recommendations I've gotten this month. Looks pretty amazing, from the giant laser-shooting heads to the protagonist's stapled-together dress.

Scalding Coffee posted:

While Friday the 13th is not going on sale so close after release, if you want to play NES Jason, get a huge bundle of points (about 20 levels worth) to buy more violent Jason kills from the movies, extra sets of counselor clothes, and a double XP weekend, tomorrow would be a great time to get it.

It pains me this isn't going to get a free weekend for a long time because I've been watching streamers play it and it looks like a ton of fun, like everything I was hoping Dead By Daylight would be (and wasn't).

• Locked thread