Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
I got a visa to Brazil 2 years ago with iVisa and it took 1 week but dont recall the cost but wasnt outrageous. Getting to Brazil is a pain but it's quite awesome and cheap when there. The steakhouses would charge same as US prices but the reis is worth 25% of a usd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arzakon posted:

Just make sure your company has someone to take care of it for you or will let you pay an agency then go eat feijoada and drink caipirinha all day you'll be fine.

:hmmyes:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tank44 posted:

I got a visa to Brazil 2 years ago with iVisa and it took 1 week but dont recall the cost but wasnt outrageous. Getting to Brazil is a pain but it's quite awesome and cheap when there. The steakhouses would charge same as US prices but the reis is worth 25% of a usd.

My customer took me to a churrascaria and tried to argue with me when I picked up the bill. It was like $40 for the both of us with drinks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sneakyfrog posted:

crap

we have a branch in brazil and im sposed to visit

brazil is an incredible country to be in (pay no mind to the income inequality etc) and it's honestly fine to do business in at a tactical level, which is I assume what you will be doing

it's a terrible country to try to make money in, but that's probably not your problem

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

brazil is an incredible country to be in (pay no mind to the income inequality etc) and it's honestly fine to do business in at a tactical level, which is I assume what you will be doing

it's a terrible country to try to make money in, but that's probably not your problem

Agreed with all of this. But trying to make money in telecom was nigh impossible as a foreign company paying 80+% minimum import duties on equipment that may or may not be held in customs for months up to a year while they compare the invoice from your vendor against published MSRP to see if you're trying to cheat them (ahem, I mean...waiting for you to put money into the right hands) on import duties is a bit of a deal killer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh man my wife did some telco stuff in Brazil, but at least it was for a Brazilian company... interesting, to say the least.

Auto's not so bad, some crazy protectionism and duties but whatever, you just pass that poo poo to the end customer and most stuff is locally sourced due to those issues anyway.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I did a class in my MBA program where we worked with a Brazilian company on a project (in my case, Accenture telecom stuff) and travel there on spring break to spend 2 days presenting to them and visiting companies and the rest of the week doin touristy stuff and chillin on the beach. We got the online visas and it was super easy so im pretty sure we just got tourist ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Big Jesus posted:

I did a class in my MBA program where we worked with a Brazilian company on a project (in my case, Accenture telecom stuff) and travel there on spring break to spend 2 days presenting to them and visiting companies and the rest of the week doin touristy stuff and chillin on the beach. We got the online visas and it was super easy so im pretty sure we just got tourist ones.

Yeah, I don't play visa games. If a company I'm working for is sending me somewhere to do work they're gonna get the correct visa for me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I don't play visa games. If a company I'm working for is sending me somewhere to do work they're gonna get the correct visa for me.

All day, err day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

but Brazil will absolutely make you fly from Buffalo to NYC to give them your passport and fly back two weeks later to pick it up.

Weird we had a group of 12 from 7 different states and all visas were handled without anyone sending in a physical passport.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also I ate pork tartar in Brazil. Place was Michelin starred and delicious and totally worth it. Like 6 courses and still $50 with cocktails.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sellouts posted:

Weird we had a group of 12 from 7 different states and all visas were handled without anyone sending in a physical passport.

Did you also get a tourist visa? Because that's not the same process I and others are talking about.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's a bunch but the two that matter are:

VIVIS covers tourist and simple business - you can go to business meetings, trade shows, conferences, etc. it's very easy to get. Most people doing business in Brazil get this one. You can do this one online now.
VITEM V covers actual employment, technical assistance, and technology transfer. This needs signoff from the department of labor and is much more difficult to get. You need to send in your physical passport.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
What would a two week at least trip to evaluate and potentially unfuck a branches IT department fall under, the latter case?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sneakyfrog posted:

What would a two week at least trip to evaluate and potentially unfuck a branches IT department fall under, the latter case?

Most likely yes, assuming everything is being handled "correctly" which is sometimes fungible in Brazil.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Hmm thanks for the heads up I have been told I can book all my own travel, but might go with the corporate travel agent on this one

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

Absolutely the latter. My turning up equipment in a datacenter was 100% that one.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Thanks folks, always like to do things the right way starting a new job

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1376555430407761924?s=20

That's faster than I thought.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Motronic posted:

Did you also get a tourist visa? Because that's not the same process I and others are talking about.

Nope. I don’t have the visas to check though so maybe that’s what they put through? But it was pretty clear we were traveling with a ton of equipment and not on holiday and we had no issues crossing any borders, no one even asked to see our carnet.

We did have Brazilians with us and did cross border via Argentina. I bet it’s that first one that Kyoon said. But am pretty surprised we didn’t get shaken down if any of our paperwork wasn’t in order.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 30, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Probably VIVIS. They don't really care about it, it's just a mechanism for the government to make a few bucks and stick it to American imperialists who charge Brazilians for visas.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Welp, I betrayed myself and flew on a 737MAX last week. Didn’t die, so it was a success! I’m still not psyched about them, but it went a long way to making me more comfortable on them. FWIW, I had flown on them prior to the crashes.

Hertz was sold out at MCO, so I used National and ended up taking a Miata from the executive aisle. Wanted to try it out - it’s fun, but I’m 6 foot and >40 years old with a bad knee, maybe not the greatest choice.

The only Admiral’s club open at MIA was D30 and it was completely packed, full of families. Yecchhh. I don’t mind my fellow business travelers, but soccer mom or “cool” dad picking up 6 drinks at the bar or having the entire family waiting on line for guac is annoying.

Work life is almost returning to normal, it’s weird, but not unwelcome. I may hit top tier status with Marriott and Hilton because they’re almost giving it away.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Big changes today with Alaska joining oneworld. Even upgrades on American. I encourage everyone to switch from AAdvantage to Alaska!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ouch, that's a really bad look and a terrible call for Delta.

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1377377495494717440?s=20

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

You would think Delta would prefer laws that prevent the supply of food and water to people trapped for long periods of time in uncomfortable environments, but I guess they’re not Spirit.

Also Delta’s booking in middle seats beginning May 1st.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why the gently caress is Delta weighing in on electoral process bills

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Corporate seppuku?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Ouch, that's a really bad look and a terrible call for Delta.

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1377377495494717440?s=20

lmao

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
this is what you get for headquartering in atlanta and refusing to move

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Hellloooo biz travel thread I’ve missed you. I’m sitting at ORD about to board for DCA where I have a 37 minute layover to catch my next flight. I’ve missed this rush- wish me luck lol

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

taco show posted:

Hellloooo biz travel thread I’ve missed you. I’m sitting at ORD about to board for DCA where I have a 37 minute layover to catch my next flight. I’ve missed this rush- wish me luck lol

Your plane will leave on time and get in early. You will have extra time at DCA to catch your layover. Things will largely be uneventful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

business travel is back baby. it's good again. Awoouu (Wolf howl)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have just been cleared to travel.

hoooboy. here we go again

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Pretty sure I’m still grounded until September.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm being told Q4; I imagine that will shift as our clients start opening their offices. My real issue is that I'm taking over my team on Monday and can't get everyone together in person for a while, build some culture, get everyone knee-walking drunk, etc.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
my director is pounding his desk with both hands, chanting tra-VEL! tra-VEL! over and over again on zoom, so anyway I’m on a plane every other week all summer.

I at least got a promotion last October and am no longer regional travel, so instead of going to Utah 15 times a year I can now go anywhere (domestic). Athens, GA; Hyde county NC and rural Indiana to start.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ixo posted:

my director is pounding his desk with both hands, chanting tra-VEL! tra-VEL! over and over again on zoom, so anyway I’m on a plane every other week all summer.

I at least got a promotion last October and am no longer regional travel, so instead of going to Utah 15 times a year I can now go anywhere (domestic). Athens, GA; Hyde county NC and rural Indiana to start.

I mean, Utah is gonna Utah, but if I had the choice of spending time in Salt Lake City versus rural Indiana, I'm going choose to enjoy views of the Great Salt Lake. :shrug:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

I mean, Utah is gonna Utah, but if I had the choice of spending time in Salt Lake City versus rural Indiana, I'm going choose to enjoy views of the Great Salt Lake. :shrug:

:same:

And did you get a name change?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

:same:

And did you get a name change?

Yeah, there may have been some atrocious levels of alcohol consumption and BYOB thread participation in the recent past. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
My first scientific conferences of the year are in November, gonna be fun. I asked our team who wants to go (voluntarily) and got a 50% yes rate so far.