Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Perhaps we should start a new commander list? Also people should add Baltech Budapest II to their friend list.

Also I'll probably head to Sorbago, though this is basically supporting that one rear end in a top hat senator.

He may be an rear end in a top hat, but he's an Imperial rear end in a top hat which puts him above these independents trying to start some poo poo in Empire space.

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

What's the deal with Peter Gabriel and that whole circle jerk? Is he some sort of Elite Dangerous Rain Man?

He's :shobon: as gently caress and it's fun keeping up with his progress. So yeah, pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I am CMDR Splint Chesthair.
Add me, goons.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I'm editing this:

biglads posted:

Elite: Dangerous - In a Game By Frontier, War With Tears

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

grilldos posted:

I'm editing this:

Either that one pre-your-edit or Elite: Dangerous - Can you be the Hero Big Harry's Monkey Hangout needs?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

GlyphGryph posted:

Either that one pre-your-edit or Elite: Dangerous - Can you be the Hero Big Harry's Monkey Hangout needs?

I maintain that Elite: Dangerous - Friendship charge detected is funniest, but this is an acceptable second choice.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Interdicted a Cobra MKIII 2 times but can't get at him before he's boosted out to supercruise again.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

Elite: Dangerous - Friendship charge detected

I second this. Funniest of the bunch so far to me.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Save the goon-region-specific title for the PGS thread, it's not going to mean anything to the general Games goon. "Friendship Charge Detected" will just scream "brony" to anyone who's not playing the game, too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
For weapon damage and other stats that use them, are the bars absolute? I.E. does a multicannon with four bars do the exact same damage as a pulse laser with four bars? A few times I've compared two weapons with the same damage rating and one has shown either red or blue even though the number of bars is the same.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 16, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RabidWeasel posted:

Rare goods trading makes a lot of money fast so you can afford to have a ship that can actually fight worth a drat. Bounty hunting is a very slow moneymaker when you're flying an unupgraded Sidewinder.

If they pre-ordered the stock Eagle is a decent Fighter and will improve rapidly as one fits it out.

Beginner Bounty Hunting in your Pre-order Eagle

- swap the top laser to your other belly hardpoint

- go to a resource extraction zone (found at non-Ice planetary rings) and look for wanted targets (it helps to keep an eye out for laser fire).

- I personally recommend vetting your targets, check their faction in the contacts window. Use the status menu to check the local factions. If one's government type is "unfettered" that is a criminal/pirate faction and those are the best ones to hunt. They all have bountied.

- Cash-in regularly! You lose all bounty claims if you die. To cash-in you have to visit the security office tab of the contacts menu of a station aligned with the bounty issuer.

- Upgrade! My priority reccomendations would be: a third gun, power reactor/distributor improvements, and a kill warrant scanner.

- A kill warrant scanner can make you more money by checking if your target is wanted in other jurisdictions. Its bound and fired like a weapon and you have to keep the target in front if you. A scan takes 10 seconds, better scanners have a longer range.

- It is illegal to attack a "Clean" target even if they're wanted elsewhere. The exception I'd anarchy systems where everyone is "clean" because there are no laws.

I'd like to write more, but I'm doing this on my phone. Hell I'd love to answer a lot of questions in the thread. :(

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 16, 2014

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
Has anyone ever actually seen any faction/rank missions for the Empire?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Elite Dangerous: Gender is Binary

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plenty, I just can't manage to work up enough trust for them.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Acquire Currency! posted:

Plenty, I just can't manage to work up enough trust for them.

Where? I'm allied with the faction controlling Achenar and I still haven't seen a single one.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

It's installing. Hope it's not worse than the "honest trailer" implied. also thrilled i "saved" :10bux:

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 16, 2014

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

So how many of you are actually playing in Open Play? If I go to the monkey house will I see some goons flying around?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

VarXX posted:

Elite Dangerous: Gender is Binary

I vote for this one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Elite Dangerous - We swear it's not like EVE

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Elenkis posted:

Has anyone ever actually seen any faction/rank missions for the Empire?

I had one I think.. 12m timer for something to rank up... by the time I finished asking people wtf this was about, the mission was no longer offered.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

So how many of you are actually playing in Open Play? If I go to the monkey house will I see some goons flying around?

Always open.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

glug posted:

I had one I think.. 12m timer for something to rank up... by the time I finished asking people wtf this was about, the mission was no longer offered.

Yeah, those are the ones. Good to know they're actually out there at least.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ahdinko posted:

Link to profile please, Its worth making this guys blood boil a little

Edit: Here we go! https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76893&p=1257388&highlight=#post1257388
I await my angry messages

So, enough of this gaming talk. How can I provoke this horrible person to receive my fistful of angry mail too?

I don't know why, but that post made me way angrier than it should have and now I wish to grief him.

Also unless they wiped it for some reason my cmdr name should be TorakFade , and I want to be friends with Peter Gabriel and his fans :3: I shall try to reach Big Harry's Monkey Hangout posthaste, if my lovely FSD drive allows me.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 16, 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
If you're not using it already, grab OnTopReplica. It makes those long SC trips so much more bearable.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I've only played for like 5 minutes, and no, this is absolutely nothing like EVE.

For starters, it's fun :v:

Secondly, it's an actual game, not an animated spreadsheet for sadists.

Aesis posted:

How the hell am I supposed to find pirates to kill for contracts? I went to specified system, hung around checking out unidentified stuff, but I didn't get any pirate spawns to kill.

Generally, a system will have a pirate faction that is listed as "Independent" on the factions tab in the right panel. (Note that there may well be multiple independent factions, especially if you're in an independent system, and not all of them will count as "pirates" for the mission.) Generally what you want to do is fly to a Nav Beacon or a Resource Extraction Site (in the rings of planets) and look for members of that faction. Once your sensors give you a full readout on him, including whether he's Wanted or not, check the Contacts tab in the left panel. This will list the faction, as well as the size of the bounty on his head. It's generally only worth going after Wanted members, because if a target is Wanted you can attack them freely without incurring fines/bounties yourself. If the target is in whatever faction counts as pirates for that system (usually this is the faction with a color in their name... The Gold Clan, The Purple Group, etc.), and is Wanted, and you get the killing blow... the objective should update.

This has been the shorthand version of target acquisition and assessment in Elite: Dangerous. :v:

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 16, 2014

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
NEW RELEASE THREAD CREATED!!
HERE: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688401

I'll ask a mod to close this one down.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TorakFade posted:

So, enough of this gaming talk. How can I provoke this horrible person to receive my fistful of angry mail too?

I don't know why, but that post made me way angrier than it should have and now I wish to grief him.

I gave up after he mentioned "hard powering it down" and then "I'm not aware that it's overheating, but could be possible I guess.", without listing any of his hardware. Hard lockups just don't happen with modern software and operating systems. Blue screens, yes, hard locks, no. He's hiding something, and it's probably (improperly) overclocked/faulty hardware, or poor airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Damnit, installed the single player combat training thing by error, gotta start downing all over again! How the heck do I even uninstall that thing? I can't find the install location.

• Locked thread