Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Droo posted:

Kevin Sorbo's ego and crazy factor is supposedly what ruined Andromeda after season 2 and for that he can go to hell.

quote:

"Robert is a genius, but was developing stories that were too complicated and too clever for the rest of us to understand,"
- Kevin Sorbo, 18 months before Battlestar Galactica happened. Now that's BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Is the humidity the cause?

It doesn't help.

Other means of cooling like swamp coolers don't work as well because of the humidity. If you only have one A/C unit, it'll overtax itself.

Really fancy big house have 4 units. Let's reserve a chilled gleaming guillotine for those folk.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's certainly an argument to be made that overly large houses, particularly in areas with obnoxious climates, especially ones with unfavorable passive temperature control characteristics, are BWM.

But that's more of a macro issue about attitudes and the economic incentives for builders and buyers in the US and much less fun to point and laugh at.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

There's certainly an argument to be made that overly large houses, particularly in areas with obnoxious climates, especially ones with unfavorable passive temperature control characteristics, are BWM.

But that's more of a macro issue about attitudes and the economic incentives for builders and buyers in the US and much less fun to point and laugh at.

There's so much in home building that's bad with money and aesthetics. Two story foyers or family rooms are a bitch to heat and cool while offering no practical utility and vaulted ceilings everywhere giving roofs that ugly fivehead look:

A good place to learn about how horrible our homes are is McMansion Hell. http://mcmansionhell.com/

It also includes some cool essays on stuff like mail order homes from Sears.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

McMansion Hell is p great.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

hailthefish posted:

McMansion Hell is p great.

I dunno, I think she goes way overboard on houses that aren't that bad a lot, and really stretches to find "funny" stuff she can point an arrow at.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Elysium posted:

I dunno, I think she goes way overboard on houses that aren't that bad a lot, and really stretches to find "funny" stuff she can point an arrow at.

It's very redundant. There are only so many awful spiral staircases or Roman columns made out of foam that you can giggle at before it gets old.

But she's in actual school for architectural stuff so her historical essays are pretty interesting. I've noticed a lot of different building styles since reading her blog.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Trying to decide who is GWM and who is BWM in this: https://www.thecut.com/2018/05/how-anna-delvey-tricked-new-york.html

everybody is BWM

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Those eyes!!!

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Trying to decide who is GWM and who is BWM in this: https://www.thecut.com/2018/05/how-anna-delvey-tricked-new-york.html

everybody is BWM

Neff is good with money. The rest are very bad.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Zachack posted:

Is the humidity the cause?

No, it's because it's May and over 100 F, and the forecast says it's supposed to be 105 F this Saturday.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

zelah posted:

Neff is good with money. The rest are very bad.
Be like Neff.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

'Anna Delvey' is bad with other people's money, which is the best kind of good with money of all!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Are any studios looking for the next Catch Me If You Can?

...this might end up being real GWM for her after all

E: Tessa Thompson as Neff, Emma Stone gains 30 pounds to play Anna. Who says no?

zelah fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 30, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Anna Delvey story was great up until she invited Neff along on her trip intending to trick her not-wealthy guests into paying for her insane luxury suite in Morocco.

All the parts where she fleeced rich people and charged a billion things to a hotel too stupid to ask for money because she said she knew some rich dude, borrowed $100k from a bank to cover the costs of due diligence for another bank qualifying her for a loan and then just spent the cash though :discourse:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I feel real bad for the copy editor who put $60k+ on her corporate AmEx. It didn't say former Vanity Fair copy editor, so maybe it all worked out in the end.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Like how dumb is that other bank.

"I'm applying for a mega-multimillion dollar loan but this other bank wants to make sure I'm good for it and I have no proof"
"Okay why are you here"
"Spot me $100k right now and I'll prove I'm a mega-multimillionaire
"Only a mega-multimillionaire would be so bold! :homebrew:"

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Nef was a moocher, she gets $100 tips on the reg and goes to fancy spas and restaurants all the time then freaks out about paying for one dinner.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

zelah posted:

Are any studios looking for the next Catch Me If You Can?

...this might end up being real GWM for her after all

E: Tessa Thompson as Neff, Emma Stone gains 30 pounds to play Anna. Who says no?

I read in twitter that Neff got the movie rights

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Nef was a moocher, she gets $100 tips on the reg and goes to fancy spas and restaurants all the time then freaks out about paying for one dinner.
I was confused about the part where she had to transfer money from savings to cover a $300 meal despite apparently being tipped thousands of dollars. I mean, poo poo, does Neff not have a credit card with a $300+ limit?

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 30, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hoodwinker posted:

I was confused about the part where she had to transfer money from savings to cover a $300 meal despite apparently being tipped thousands of dollars.
BWM thinks cash gifts from crazy people are a sustainable source of income and adjusts their lifestyle to match.
GWM knows cash gifts from crazy people are one-off windfalls and uses them to bolster their nest egg.
Nef is GWM.
Be like Nef.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Hi my friends Jay-Z, Kim Kardashian, and Sir Elton John told me City National Bank is the place for a millionaire to borrow $100k in pocket change, yes that's right I said Sir Elton John"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I also loved that Moroccans are smarter than the supposedly cream of the crop richest of the rich Americans.

When the money didn't arrive the day the socialite said it would goons showed up to break everyone's legs and wouldn't you know it they got paid immediately, but I guess sending polite notes for six months while she charges insane sums for swank celebrity dinner parties to her room is also a strategy!

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

JFC, assuming the mother isn't disabled, the sister isn't disabled and / or underaged, and the grandmother isn't disabled / 80 years old, that person needs to tell them all to gently caress off. A 27 year old going to college shouldn't have to support three family members. Or any family members that aren't children / spouses.

In the comments he said his sister is 21 and is in college full-time. "I just want her to focus on school" :rolleyes: also his mom is disabled but shouldn't both she and his grandma get social security checks? His mechanic's not the only one ripping him off.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ebola Roulette posted:

in college full-time. "I just want her to focus on school"
This is the correct approach. You should take out a larger loan to cover your living expenses rather than work. The ROI is likely justificable as an investment.

Of course, it should be understood that it is not a bullshit major, and you are working during school breaks and all. But not working during term time is entirely justifiable.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

The Anna Delvey story was great up until she invited Neff along on her trip intending to trick her not-wealthy guests into paying for her insane luxury suite in Morocco.

All the parts where she fleeced rich people and charged a billion things to a hotel too stupid to ask for money because she said she knew some rich dude, borrowed $100k from a bank to cover the costs of due diligence for another bank qualifying her for a loan and then just spent the cash though :discourse:

Anna Delvey hits all the right notes for me. Cute, redheaded, and criminal.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mezzanon posted:

You forgot delusional.

The delusional part breaks it for me. I can handle criminal or crazy, but not delusional.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

You forgot delusional.

The delusional part breaks it for me. I can handle criminal or crazy, but not delusional.
If she had somehow pulled it all off it would have basically been the American Dream: convince everybody else to finance it, make it rich by force of personality, and never pay any of your debt back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

You forgot 'European accent that no one can rightly place.'

She sounded interesting at the very least, but there's a whole lot of crazy right under that surface fighting to break free.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Krispy Wafer posted:

You forgot 'European accent that no one can rightly place.'

She sounded interesting at the very least, but there's a whole lot of crazy right under that surface fighting to break free.

Only one place for that crazy to go, KK.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Given that window units are not thousands of dollars, I'm assuming this is central air. What kind of ridiculous oversized house do they live in that requires multiple units?

I just bought a 1400 sq ft 2-story house and am strongly considering putting in a second unit, even though I'm in Michigan, because:

1. Vent system apparently sucks for cooling so upstairs is 15 degrees warmer than down.
2. Apparently it's so bad that the air intakes upstairs don't actually take in any air.
3. Even though it's a colonial, lots of interior walls were removed so it only has a 10 ft interior wall.
4. It's an old brick house with plaster, which makes any kind of construction a pain in the rear end.
5. Easily accessible walk-up attic that's already floored (and insulated in the floors).

Put all that together and, while I haven't talked to any HVAC people, it may be a lot easier to just get a second AC unit and run ducts through the attic floor than try to fix/improve the current ventilation system (which does just fine heating the house).

BWM: buying a house.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Sounds cheaper to just stick a window unit upstairs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Sounds cheaper to just stick a window unit upstairs.

If you've got multiple bedrooms upstairs, this is a losing battle. Window units are far less efficient too, vs a modern system with new ducts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

I was confused about the part where she had to transfer money from savings to cover a $300 meal despite apparently being tipped thousands of dollars. I mean, poo poo, does Neff not have a credit card with a $300+ limit?

Anna had just pulled up a list of a dozen numbers. No loving way am I using my card anywhere near her after that.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Krispy Wafer posted:

I feel real bad for the copy editor who put $60k+ on her corporate AmEx. It didn't say former Vanity Fair copy editor, so maybe it all worked out in the end.
She apparently wrote her own article - https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/my-misadventure-with-the-magician-of-manhattan

I just skimmed it but haven't figured out how she paid back the money.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This is an odd one with pretty strong goon vibes: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8n300g/mech_engineer_just_got_laid_off_from_job_57k_in/

Mech Engineer, just got laid off from job, 57K in debt, need advice.

Hi all,

This morning I got laid off from my job. I used to make $75,000.00 a year as a Mechanical Engineer for a mid size oil service company.

I signed an " At- will" employment contract, basically they gave me no reason as why I was laid off...I think it was not performance related, just a poor relationship with my direct supervisor. Every other manager was happy with my work. I had to block mysupervisor on LinkedIn, as she would look at my profile every week...and she followed me to my car once, yelled at me and asked why I was leaving, I had only gone to get my glasses from my car. Enough about that.

I'm a single female, living in Houston, TX. My family is in another country, and some relatives in the Austin TX area.

When I started last year in July, I decided to not contribute to retirement at this company as I wanted to get out of debt. I started with $92K in debt. I've paid off 2 credit cards, one student loan and most of my car.

I've managed to decrease my rent, my interest rates on my debt, and my car insurance. My rent went $1,320 to $917 starting April 2018, moved closer to work, saved time and gas.

Car insurance went from $250 to $180...once I moved my rate was gonna increase so I negotiated better rates elsewhere. I reduced the rate on one of my credit cards from 25% to 18%, still high but lower than before. I felt like I was doing the right things, and I just got fired and have little to no back up plans. I also stopped saving entirely, every extra cent was going either to school, or towards debt.

I used to make $4,690.00 a month, after taxes and deductions.

I cashed out the retirement money I had from a previous employer to pay off my credit card debt. Paid a hefty penalty when I did my taxes. So far, I've reached out to my network, updated my LinkedIn profile, started looking at jobs and saving the ones I have the skills and experience for, I will apply later today. I will file for unemployment also, and get some medical insurance, not COBRA.

I plan on doing UBER to make some money until I find another high paying job. The city I live in, you can make around $500 to $1500 just working weekends. Full time....I hope to make more than that.

Below are my my monthly expenses and debt

Current accounts

Checking: $20.00, last paycheck tomorrow ($2,340)

Savings: $0

Retirement: $0

Crypto: $2,500, bought in early, have not bought more since March 2018.

Monthly Expenses

Rent: $917.00

Insurance: $180.00

Car payment: $446.00 @ 1.9% with a credit union,

Gas: $50.00

Groceries: $75.00

Utilities: $45.00

Phone: $70.00

Debt

Sofi: 252.00

Marcus: $170

Student Loans: $70

Discover: $160

AMEX: $220

Below are my debts:

Loans, Sofi: $8,829.00, @ 12%,

Loan, Marcus by Goldman Sachs: $5,673.57 @ 12%

Car loan: $10,966, @ 1.9%, 24 payments remaining...I've been paying more to it

Credit Card 1, Discover: $8,258.00 @ 0% until October 2018

Credit Card 2, AMEX: $11,418.00 @ 18%

Student loans through Navient

$1609.31 @ 5.6%, I was gonna pay it off this month :-(

$ 3,938.09 @ 4.5 %

$3,824.79 @ 3.4%

$2,807.55 @ 3.4%

Last year I had over $40K in credit cards, I paid 2 off and cancelled them. I've gotten my spending under control. I just need to know best path forward, and any other advice regarding how to approach employment and my debt.

Nobody every taught me about money, and once I learned about investing and debt, I decided to get out of debt.

In 5 years, I don't want debt, I want freedom to chose who I work for, and multiple sources of income.

Any advice is appreciated.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 30, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

She apparently wrote her own article - https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/my-misadventure-with-the-magician-of-manhattan

I just skimmed it but haven't figured out how she paid back the money.

Vanity Fair may have just wrote it off because it made for a great story.

If you're going to get played, do so in interesting and exciting ways.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
My boss has a financial planner that's doing the standard financial planner fleecing. I saw a 529 plan was setup for his son and I checked out the options just for the hell of it.

http://www.jhinvestments.com/College/Portfolio.aspx?PortfolioID=31&PortfolioType=A

So basically you choose between a ER of 1.3% and a 5% sales charge or an ER of 2% and no sales charge. Plus a bunch of maintenance and recording fees not included I'm sure.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Midjack posted:

Anna had just pulled up a list of a dozen numbers. No loving way am I using my card anywhere near her after that.

This part stood out to me, as well. Like any restaurant would just take a notepad list of credit card numbers and start running them to see if one worked instead of immediately calling the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

This is an odd one with pretty strong goon vibes: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8n300g/mech_engineer_just_got_laid_off_from_job_57k_in/

Mech Engineer, just got laid off from job, 57K in debt, need advice.

This is a bummer. She's BWM but getting canned with no recourse is hosed up. The crypto is dumb, obviously.

I'd say cash out her crypto and pay the minimums while she gets a new job ASAP. That's gotta be priority number 1.

And maybe talk to a lawyer.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 30, 2018