Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Ahh, that would do it alright. My S4 is about a year old and holding up well. I will ride it out. I have 2 SERO plans and upgrade one a year. Only one line gets the new phone though. I keep one line purely as a 3G tether/hot spot on a Touch Pro 2 at the $30/mo rate. When I finally goto the S5, I may retire that TP2 and set line 2 to SERO Premium too. LTE4 is really good in the metro Boston area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I was charged $314 for the phone, activation, and tax, but there is a $50 MIR. So $264 total.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was stuck between getting the S5 and waiting for the Note 4. I decided to go with the S5 but they don't carry the 32GB version? drat you, Sprint. :doom:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Why would you need 32GB when you can just put a microSDHC card in it? That's the reason why they don't sell one with that much memory internally.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

td4guy posted:

Why would you need 32GB when you can just put a microSDHC card in it? That's the reason why they don't sell one with that much memory internally.

Because you can't put apps on the sd card? Maybe he wants to play a lot of really large games all at the same time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is there some feature with Sprint and enhanced audio on their phone calls? The past month or two I've been randomly having phone calls where the audio sounds completely different. Much clearer and higher quality audio. Has nothing to do with wifi because today it happened while I was driving.

I'm in an LTE area, but I was under the impression that voice over LTE still wasn't a thing yet so I don't know what it would be.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Mahoning posted:

Is there some feature with Sprint and enhanced audio on their phone calls? The past month or two I've been randomly having phone calls where the audio sounds completely different. Much clearer and higher quality audio. Has nothing to do with wifi because today it happened while I was driving.

I'm in an LTE area, but I was under the impression that voice over LTE still wasn't a thing yet so I don't know what it would be.

HD Voice is rolling out in some Spark areas.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Mahoning posted:

It's HD Voice on their usual 1x voice channels. You and the person you're speaking to have to both be Sprint customers in regions when HD Voice has been implemented on phones with it enabled.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

So, can you not activate/swap phones online anymore?

I just upgraded to an HTC M8 which doesn't work. The phone can't make calls or keep a 3G or 4G data signal which makes it super useful. I took it into a Sprint store today and was told I had to call Sprint since I ordered it off of Sprint.com and they cold only give me a refub. The guy looked at the phone for 30 seconds and said its a known issue and to ask for a new one. I'm trying to switch back to my old phone online and its telling me I have to call customer service, which is closed or go to a store? I've probably swapped phones online 20+ times.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What is your old phone? If it uses a different type of 4G it may need a code change on your plan, which requires someone at Sprint to do it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My other phone is an HTC One M7. They should both work since they are LTE phones unless they consider Spark phones separately?

Also I'm reading the Spark phones (M8, N5, GS5 and LG 2) have bad handoff issues because of the way spark works? Some older NV towers don't have the correct tech and need additional upgrades for them to work properly.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Kitkat seems to have handoff issues in general (at least on sprint). My m7 and sgs4 are loving BAD at holding a steady data connection if I'm not within literal eyesight of a tower.

I'd blame it all on sprint but my iphone 5s has no such problems and I never noticed it on my android devices until 4.4.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I had an HTC One M7 and it worked fine for the most part. I literally can't use the M8 anywhere. Phone calls disconnect after about 5 seconds and I can't get a data connection anywhere even if I'm not moving.

I used my Fiances upgrade and she was going to take my phone. I took it to a Sprint store and they said I had to call in to get it it replaced. Sprint CSR said I had to take it to the store to get it replaced. Then they said I had to go through HTC for a warranty because we moved the phone to a different line.

Now they are saying moving the phone voids the 14 day return policy. I'm trying to move the new phone back to her line to swap it but I don't think they well let me :sigh:

So it looks like we might be stuck with a $650 paperweight.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

mcpringles posted:

I had an HTC One M7 and it worked fine for the most part. I literally can't use the M8 anywhere. Phone calls disconnect after about 5 seconds and I can't get a data connection anywhere even if I'm not moving.

I used my Fiances upgrade and she was going to take my phone. I took it to a Sprint store and they said I had to call in to get it it replaced. Sprint CSR said I had to take it to the store to get it replaced. Then they said I had to go through HTC for a warranty because we moved the phone to a different line.

Now they are saying moving the phone voids the 14 day return policy. I'm trying to move the new phone back to her line to swap it but I don't think they well let me :sigh:

So it looks like we might be stuck with a $650 paperweight.
E-mail dan@sprint.com and executive.offices@sprint.com. I had to do this when I was having issues with the screen on my Note 3 and the local store refused to do anything. They ended up contacting the district manager out here who told the store to make the exchange for a brand new one.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

I've had several android phones over the years where something happens to the SD cards. It's most likely something I'm doing that causes files/folders to rename themselves to either jibberish or a mu so I'd rather just keep things internal. Since there is a 32GB

Also what Vykk.Draygo said.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

How's data normally in San Francisco? I'm visiting for the week and it's been pretty spotty so far.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Chaotic Flame posted:

How's data normally in San Francisco? I'm visiting for the week and it's been pretty spotty so far.
It's bad. Various issues, like permits, have prevented the majority of the towers in the city from being upgraded. There's LTE here and there, but overall you're not gonna have good service.
(Same goes for Palo Alto and south San Jose.)

td4guy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 23, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I just bought a new phone, and signed up for a new phone plan. After discussing carriers and plans with the salesman at best buy, I determined Sprint was my best choice. This was solely on the virtue of the Framily plan. I'm a single user with no desire to have more than one line, but the guy said I could join a stranger's plan and get the smallest bill of $25 a month.

So we set everything up. I'm a new Sprint customer, so this should have been simple. However, during the process he recieved an error and was unable to join the plan, instead creating a new group. I called customer support right in front of the guy and asked to be added to the existing plan. I was kept on hold for 20 minutes, but they said they'd fix it. I checked the next day and my bill was listed as $25, my framily as full, and my members as 10/10.

Just now I got an email saying thst I was unable to be added to the group because it was full, and sure enough I'm now listed as being in a framily on my own, with a $55 bill and no online option to join a different group.

I plan on calling and asking support about this tomorrow, but was wondering if this was common, or if I've been had when it comes to Sprint being cool with joining strangers' plans (the group number he got appeared to come from a Sprint-owned public group sharing site), or how else I could havs been booted from the group after successfully joining. If I get another group number, will support help me switch or force me into recruiting people since I'm now technically an existing customer?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 21, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can still get into someones group. The tricky part is finding a Sprint employee that is competent and can help you.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Welp looks like we're going to leave Sprint for T-Mobile. After 2 more store visits and more phone calls we finally got them to refund our money and take their broken phone back after getting the run around.

Store 1: we can't help you go online.
Call 1: we can't help you the store can. I guess we can help you let me transfer you.
Call 2: we can't help you.
Store 2: we can't help you this isn't a tech store.
Store 3: I guess we could help you but you won't get your refund right away and will be hit with a restocking fee. We're not going to have a tech look at it either. Oh I guess I can refund your card but you have to call to get out of your contract and restocking fee.
Call 3: the store should have done that stuff. We can do everything the store can do but we won't help you. Oh wait I guess we will help you.

I've been with Sprint for 12 years, 8 on SERO thanks to SA. It was a good run. I guess I'll probably be back in a few years if Sprint buys T-Mobile.

If you plan on buying a Triband LTE phone make sure you do some research on CFSB first. If your market doesn't have that technology good luck getting any service.

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 21, 2014

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

mcpringles posted:

If you plan on buying a Triband LTE phone make sure you do some research on CFSB first. If your market doesn't have that technology good luck getting any service.

To follow up on this, here's a list of markets and their compatibility with CFSB.

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood

td4guy posted:

It's bad. Various issues, like permits, have prevented the majority of the towers in the city from being upgraded. There's LTE here and there, but overall you're not gonna have good service.
(Same goes for Palo Alto and south San Jose.)

It looks like south SJ just got a bunch of upgrades. The only places remaining in the Bay Area that need upgrades is Palo Alto and SF.

Anyone have a framily with room for 4 lines? I need at least 3 lines on the framily to make it worthwhile for me to switch. There's a goon with a framily with 2 people on it so if anyone wants to join us that would work too.

Klint fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 23, 2014

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Klint posted:

It looks like south SJ just got a bunch of upgrades. The only places remaining in the Bay Area that need upgrades is Palo Alto and SF.

Anyone have a framily with room for 4 lines? I need at least 3 lines on the framily to make it worthwhile for me to switch. There's a goon with a framily with 2 people on it so if anyone wants to join us that would work too.
I've been trying to expand mine but I'm only at 2 as well right now.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Klint, send me an email.

It is gone now. PM me if you need help.

Sinnlos fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 24, 2014

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Has anyone else had Sprint's service in the NoVA area go completely to poo poo? I used to have solid 4g everywhere I care about, but since a few months ago I get maybe 1 bar 3g at my house, my parents house, and where I work. The only times I've even seen 4G lately is those weird times where I have full bars but all the apps tell me I have no network connection.

Galaxy Nexus, if it makes any difference. My dad has complained about this too, but he has a gnex purchased at the same time.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Has anyone else had Sprint's service in the NoVA area go completely to poo poo? I used to have solid 4g everywhere I care about, but since a few months ago I get maybe 1 bar 3g at my house, my parents house, and where I work. The only times I've even seen 4G lately is those weird times where I have full bars but all the apps tell me I have no network connection.

Galaxy Nexus, if it makes any difference. My dad has complained about this too, but he has a gnex purchased at the same time.

I'll take a look at some network diagnostic tools at work tomorrow and let you know what's up.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Threw my S4 up on swappa -

http://swappa.com/listing/HZS360

In case any other sprintites are interested.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

No, about the same for me. Have you tried a PRL refresh?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

On the Galaxy Nexus, go to the dial pad, and dial in *#*#72786#*#*. This will initiate a network refresh on the device side. Let me know if this works. If not, PM me with your phone number and we'll come up with the next steps.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
I work for sprint as a repair tech, in New Jersey. I'll try my best to help you guys the best I can. Shoot me an message if you need anything.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Anybody have any gut feelings as to whether or not Sprint will carry the Galaxy S5 Prime?

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
I hope so. I want to say yes, they have had a decent relationship and haven't really been left out on many phones with them in recent years.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Is there anything I can do to aggressively cancel my Sprint service?

I'm not on a contract. I recently upgraded to a smartphone, was disappointed in the data speeds, returned it within 14 days, and said to the sales rep I would like to cancel my service completely. After talking to someone on the phone, he said I no longer have service.

He lied. My account is active with my old phone I recently recycled because I've had it for 6 years and didn't work. I called customer service, sat on hold for 10 minutes, said to the rep I would like to cancel my service, sat on hold for another 10 minutes, same rep came back and said a supervisor is on his way, sat on hold for another 35 minutes, then I was told that the supervisor would call me back within the day to discuss cancellation. Of course, he doesn't call back.

I called the next day and the very same thing happened, except I maybe waited 20 minutes total. Can they do this? Is there any legal action I can take because I'm not paying $90 a month for sub optimal data coverage.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I emailed the dan@sprint.com address to get out of my service. Took a day to get back to me but when they did they were pretty helpful.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When I worked for Sprint there was really no way to cancel your service same-day except for porting your number. Basically when you call and cancel, your service kept going until the end of your bill cycle.

No idea if it works that way anymore but it could explain your situation.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mahoning posted:

When I worked for Sprint there was really no way to cancel your service same-day except for porting your number. Basically when you call and cancel, your service kept going until the end of your bill cycle.

No idea if it works that way anymore but it could explain your situation.
Yeah, that's the default way they handle it. I discovered that when removing a line on my account one day into a new billing cycle. I had to e-mail dan@sprint.com but they finally cancelled it immediately as a "one time courtesy" :rolleyes:

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Selling my galaxy s4 on swappa - I was advised by a store manager (verizon) to remove my simcard and trash it, as it has personal info on it and isn't of use to anyone who buys the phone, and could be used against me. Asking here to double check if that is indeed correct, and if so, what is the cost of a simcard through sprint when someone goes to activate the phone? So I can take that into consideration with the phone price. Thanks guys.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Verizon phones cannot be used on Sprint.

Sprint S4's don't technically 'use' SIM cards in the same way that other phones do, the SIM card number in them is calculated from the device MEID.

Verizon replacement SIM cards are free from any corporate store.

If you're transferring providers from Verizon to Sprint, just break your SIM card in half and bin it after your port goes through.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 30, 2014

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

SeaborneClink posted:

Verizon phones cannot be used on Sprint.

Sprint S4's don't technically 'use' SIM cards in the same way that other phones do, the SIM card number in them is calculated from the device MEID.

Verizon replacement SIM cards are free from any corporate store.

Sorry, not what I was saying. Let me clarify.

Backstory - I ditched sprint, went to verizon.

Im selling my sprint galaxy s4 on swappa, to some other sprint customer.

The verizon manager told me to remove my simcard from the sprint phone as it shouldnt be sold with the phone. Was he incorrect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pass the butter posted:

Sorry, not what I was saying. Let me clarify.

Backstory - I ditched sprint, went to verizon.

Im selling my sprint galaxy s4 on swappa, to some other sprint customer.

The verizon manager told me to remove my simcard from the sprint phone as it shouldnt be sold with the phone. Was he incorrect?

Sprint codes their SIM cards off the MEID, there's no personal information on there other than anything you put on there, i.e. contacts, but you'd have to go out of your way to save them there. They are on your Google account right? :ohdear: