Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

D'ogecoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012
"No dad, thats Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto!"
"Hi Lisa"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo posted:

Now, this! This fella who knows his Simpsons!

I feel eerily able to channel Al Jean and am duly worried

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Homer causes a massive blackout by using so much electricity for his Bitcoin mining operation that Mr. Burns decides to get in on the game by raising electricity prices and building a second power plant.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I don't blame anyone for not remembering, but they already did done it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FoiledShenanigans posted:

"No dad, thats Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto!"
"Hi Lisa"

"No dad, that's <celebrity role> <celebrity name>"
"Hi Lisa"

Is such a trope, and I can hear it in my head EVERY TIME. Was there multiple episodes this actually happened in? Was it just one earlyish one that just stuck with the collective unconscious? I'm curious of the actual origin of the phrase.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

CodfishCartographer posted:

"No dad, that's <celebrity role> <celebrity name>"
"Hi Lisa"

Is such a trope, and I can hear it in my head EVERY TIME. Was there multiple episodes this actually happened in? Was it just one earlyish one that just stuck with the collective unconscious? I'm curious of the actual origin of the phrase.

Didn't this literally just happen with Elon Musk?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Paingod556 posted:

goddammit

also

I'm glad of it

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I would like to thank this thread for telling me to give Big Mouth an earnest shot.

It's much better than I expected.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Not much of a fan tbh :3:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pennsylvanian posted:

I also want more Smiling Friends. The pilot or one-shot or whatever was great.

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1395016439816495104

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Paingod556 posted:

I can't think of a single reason not to make a joke name for something invented by your kooky scientist character. I mean, other than not caring.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PinheadSlim posted:

I would like to thank this thread for telling me to give Big Mouth an earnest shot.

It's much better than I expected.

And Maya Rudolph is one of the best parts

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Das Boo posted:

I can't think of a single reason not to make a joke name for something invented by your kooky scientist character. I mean, other than not caring.

It’s even the character that shouts funny nonsense words, for Christ sake.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Smiling Friends had its moments but like most Adult Swim stuff I wish it was like 20% less weird and gross.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I was watch Bart vs Australia last night and Homer was messing with the embassy guards and got punched and I was reminded of when nu Simpsons did that joke worse, like Homer was messing with soldiers in (China maybe but I really don't remember?) and they did the joke worse and explained it too much (no that's the Buckingham palace guards!)

I know it was discussed in this topic but I don't remember where and I'm trying to find that scene, anyone remember?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

you broke my grill posted:

I was watch Bart vs Australia last night and Homer was messing with the embassy guards and got punched and I was reminded of when nu Simpsons did that joke worse, like Homer was messing with soldiers in (China maybe but I really don't remember?) and they did the joke worse and explained it too much (no that's the Buckingham palace guards!)

I know it was discussed in this topic but I don't remember where and I'm trying to find that scene, anyone remember?

I vaguely remembered what you were talking about (...but why???), so I Googled it and found out they were Shaolin monks, not soldiers. The episode is "Goo Goo Gai Pan" from season 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzt0xBXTNhI

The same episode also had... this... :mediocre: gag(??):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CSh66G8jg

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 24, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Have any Simpsons staff expressed regret over slandering nuclear power to the extent they did?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Who is controlled by the Saudi crown?
Who keeps nuclear power down?
Simp-sons! Simp-sons!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I liked the weird dragon ending of the China episode, which was otherwise bad

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

lurker2006 posted:

Have any Simpsons staff expressed regret over slandering nuclear power to the extent they did?

I don’t think the writers ever slandered nuclear power in itself. They showcase how awful and neglectful Mr. Burns is toward his plant, is both parsimonious and greedy with money, and rapaciously hoards any money he may come into to fix the plant’s problems, which only exacerbates the plant’s dilapidated state. He’s also too old, out of touch, and possibly senile to be running the plant anymore, but he won’t give it up.

Most of the plant staff is also either incompetent or just doesn’t care. I mean, the safety inspector is Homer.

Unless most nuclear power plants really don’t have a sector 7-B with a giant spider you can defeat with a bible verse and the writers lied to me. In which case, they totally slandered nuclear power.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first couple of seasons were absolutely all about ridiculing and freaking out about nuclear power. Three-eyed fish, Smilin' Joe Fission, Homer constantly making pro-nuclear propagandistic statements while saying grace, etc. The early show all but heavily implied that the reason the Simpsons and the rest of the people in town were yellow and funny-looking was that they were some kind of atomic mutants

The show was advertised as "America's Most Nuclear Family" for years

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Data Graham posted:

The first couple of seasons were absolutely all about ridiculing and freaking out about nuclear power. Three-eyed fish, Smilin' Joe Fission, Homer constantly making pro-nuclear propagandistic statements while saying grace, etc. The early show all but heavily implied that the reason the Simpsons and the rest of the people in town were yellow and funny-looking was that they were some kind of atomic mutants

The show was advertised as "America's Most Nuclear Family" for years

That’s all fine and dandy and also true (great points), but do giant spiders who can be defeated with a bible verse exist? Is the spider a nuclear mutant, or just giant? Huh? Huh???

Heh. Got’cha :colbert:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

There was the Mindy episode too where they go to the energy convention and everyone shouts about destroying the planet at them.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the writers were the best of the baby boomers
baby boomers think nuclear power is bad

he's not a writer, but harry shearer's le show has a ten minute rundown of every guy who threw out his back in a radiation therapy clinic's breakroom every single week

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Their flower power is no match for our glower power.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

womb with a view posted:

There was the Mindy episode too where they go to the energy convention and everyone shouts about destroying the planet at them.

chernobyl happened 7 years before that episode aired

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Three Mile Island was still relatively fresh as well.

Cutting safety corners isn't exactly unheard-of in the nuclear industry given that they're own by private for profit corporations. Davis-Besse had a huge void in the reactor head in the early 00's that took a long time to detect due to inadequate inspections. They recently got tangled up in a bribery scandal with the state, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Moe gets drunk with the guys for the first time and spills all the secrets of townsfolks that he learned from other bartenders, who he gets together with after hours to commiserate with and swap stories at a place called the Confidential (styled after whatever the hotel is called in John Wick with Ian McShane as a guest-voice). As punishment, the bartenders hunt down the guys and give them a serum that makes them unable to drink anymore.

3 months later, they get together, all sober and their lives have drastically improved. They go to laugh at Moe at his new job at an omelet bar, but they're so saddened by his plight that they ask him to return as their bartender for nonalcoholic drinks. Ian McShane finds out and is moved by their loyalty so he gives them the antidote. Homer refuses it but gets it forced on him anyway.

Nothing offensively bad in this one but it wasn't funny either. OK maybe one terrible part where Moe fights off the town's bartenders using his mastery of his bar rag.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

Nothing offensively bad in this one but it wasn't funny either. OK maybe one terrible part where Moe fights off the town's bartenders using his mastery of his bar rag.

Did they allude to Moe’s bar rag being a sentient object, or was it just just a rag?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Moe gets drunk with the guys for the first time and spills all the secrets of townsfolks that he learned from other bartenders, who he gets together with after hours to commiserate with and swap stories at a place called the Confidential (styled after whatever the hotel is called in John Wick with Ian McShane as a guest-voice). As punishment, the bartenders hunt down the guys and give them a serum that makes them unable to drink anymore.

3 months later, they get together, all sober and their lives have drastically improved. They go to laugh at Moe at his new job at an omelet bar, but they're so saddened by his plight that they ask him to return as their bartender for nonalcoholic drinks. Ian McShane finds out and is moved by their loyalty so he gives them the antidote. Homer refuses it but gets it forced on him anyway.

That... actually isn't the worst premise. I mean, it's not good, but at least it doesn't sound like it was generated by a chatbot AI.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Really recaptures that season 14 energy

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's really dumb that The Simpsons is still on the air.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

porfiria posted:

It's really dumb that The Simpsons is still on the air.

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They maybe left an OK gag on the cutting room floor in this one

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1396625935697211394

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PostNouveau posted:

They maybe left an OK gag on the cutting room floor in this one

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1396625935697211394

holy poo poo

that's grim and not bad (mostly)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Too close to being funny, cut it

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Please keep the jokes contained to the bottom right of the screen.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Jimmy Fallon needle lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Data Graham posted:

:hmmyes: