Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember it mentioned way back, is Stablebit Drivepool still a thread recommended storage solution for windows machines?

Thinking about tasking an old pc already running win10 to storage duties and like how I can just pop in extra drives as I get em. Also the clouddrive looks interesting too as a seamless, encrypted backup to several cloud providers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

priznat posted:

I remember it mentioned way back, is Stablebit Drivepool still a thread recommended storage solution for windows machines?

Thinking about tasking an old pc already running win10 to storage duties and like how I can just pop in extra drives as I get em. Also the clouddrive looks interesting too as a seamless, encrypted backup to several cloud providers.

Yup, it's great to chuck a bunch of random drives into a pool and let the software figure it out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Trying the free trial now, it is very slick.

Especially cool how you can create a pool of a mix of local and cloud drives so I can plunk data redundantly on my various cloud accounts without even having to think about it.

Something like this seems a way better solution than messing with RAID. Do people use this for full on production storage? We’re upgrading a storage array at work from one that has 20TB in a raid 6 array to a 100TB worth of drives and it seems like a simpler solution. Runs win server 2016.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So to clarify, Stablebit does what my old WHS does? If I mark every folder for duplication it halves my usable space because everything exists in two places? And doesn't actually distribute data for fault tolerance like a multi disk RAID does?

Reason I ask is that I have an 10 SATA board doing nothing that I could mindlessly throw disks at. But I was kinda hoping it would work more like a Hybrid Synology RAID as opposed to just something make sure the file exists twice over.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ziploc posted:

So to clarify, Stablebit does what my old WHS does? If I mark every folder for duplication it halves my usable space because everything exists in two places? And doesn't actually distribute data for fault tolerance like a multi disk RAID does?

Reason I ask is that I have an 10 SATA board doing nothing that I could mindlessly throw disks at. But I was kinda hoping it would work more like a Hybrid Synology RAID as opposed to just something make sure the file exists twice over.

Yes, Stablebit is basically WHS.

It's not used in production systems because production systems don't need the features it provides, and/or the features it provides that production systems would use are better done by other tools.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I think the closest thing that comes to 'throw randomly sized drives at it and it will create redundancy without too much wasted space' is UnRaid and Synology? Any others I'm forgetting about?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you go the unRAID route, make sure the largest drive is the parity drive.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Matt Zerella posted:

If you go the unRAID route, make sure the largest drive is the parity drive.

Unraid doesn't automagically manage that for you?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Trying the free trial now, it is very slick.

Especially cool how you can create a pool of a mix of local and cloud drives so I can plunk data redundantly on my various cloud accounts without even having to think about it.

Something like this seems a way better solution than messing with RAID. Do people use this for full on production storage? We’re upgrading a storage array at work from one that has 20TB in a raid 6 array to a 100TB worth of drives and it seems like a simpler solution. Runs win server 2016.

Only for NAS storage and nope, i only use it for myself. LOL

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ziploc posted:

Unraid doesn't automagically manage that for you?

No. You need to select the drives on setup as to what's parity and what's storage/cache.

It's just drop down menus when you boot up. Takes a minute tops.

The big issue is precelar taking forever. If you can do that ahead of time you'll save a ton of time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
8tb EasyStore now down to 140.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Remember that BestBuy allows extended returns during the holiday season, so anyone who picked ones up at $159 or whatever before can go, buy these at $140, and then walk back in with them and the old receipt to return the $159 ones. There's no serial tracking for them on BB's end.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is this the "probably red drive inside" or "not red drive inside" version? Or am I misremembering and they're all the "probably red drive inside" version?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Is this the "probably red drive inside" or "not red drive inside" version? Or am I misremembering and they're all the "probably red drive inside" version?

They are all "red drives" but may have white labels on them at this point. I've bought 4 of them 2 of them were actual red label drives and the other 2 were white labels that were actually red drives.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So I repurposed an older server in an office as a FreeNAS device. It's a 1TB mirror, one share as a common drive with about 50 gigs on it.

I need some kind of cloud backup solution that isn't CrashPlans lump of poo poo client. Any recommendations?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

This is the "probably red drive (non-white label, no 3.3v kill pins)" inside.

I was also able to price match my last order online and get a refund for the difference. Shocked that worked.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's crazy that in my smallest pool I'm going to replace all 5 drives and go from ~7TB storage to ~30TB with these WD 8TB deals.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Moey posted:

This is the "probably red drive (non-white label, no 3.3v kill pins)" inside.

I was also able to price match my last order online and get a refund for the difference. Shocked that worked.

I did the same thing and am similarly shocked it worked!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Thanks, did the price-match too. $20 for a five-minute chat with online support is fine by me.

This is the last batch of drives I'll need to complete my array, total cost $880+tax for 8 drives :whatup:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Thanks, did the price-match too. $20 for a five-minute chat with online support is fine by me.

This is the last batch of drives I'll need to complete my array, total cost $880+tax for 8 drives :whatup:

How many TB do you have in that array? And of those , how many usable?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Volguus posted:

How many TB do you have in that array? And of those , how many usable?

8x8 TB. It's not set up yet, I'm thinking either RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2, so 48-54 TB usable.

The goal is for this to be my primary storage and then I have a second array for backups of important stuff. As such it's not critical that this array is bulletproof, but it's enough data I'd be pissed, especially since Comcast put a data cap on me. Part of the point of going to an 8-drive array was to make RAIDZ2 more viable, but on the other hand there's also pretty decent odds of multiple drives failing in rapid succession so I'm not all that sure it buys me all that much extra security. I bought drives in batches of 2.

Current setup:
  • Primary array: 4x6 TB Toshiba X300 in simple ZFS pool (non-RAIDZ)
  • Backup array: 4x3 TB WD Red in simple ZFS pool in CR-H458 external
  • Desktop: 1x6 TB Toshiba X300

New setup:
  • Primary array: 8x8 TB WD Red in RAIDZ2
  • Backup array: 5x6 TB Toshiba X300 in RAIDZ1
  • Desktop: 2x8 TB HGST white-labels (from the Black Friday special)
  • Trip disk: 4x3 TB WD Red in spanned NTFS in CR-H458 external (nothing irreplaceable)
  • LTO5 tape backups/glacier for cold storage

I need to replace my backup array at some point here, since those drives just passed the 4-year mark. I don't think it's in any imminent danger of failure so I'll keep using it for fun stuff, but the 8x8 will be my new primary array and I'll rotate my current array to be a backup.

Since I want the primary array running all the time (especially if I end up going with an SSD cache - ZFS needing to warm up cache sucks), I decided to go with a LGA1151 setup (Supermicro MBD-X11SSH-LN4F-O with an i3-7100). X99 would be nice but the platform just pulls too much power at idle, and it's too much heat dumping into my case. Ryzen has the segfault bug, ECC is unvalidated, and you can't get mATX motherboards with enough SATA ports, so that's out.

If I end up needing more power for transcoding I can use a second machine as an application server. Headless mITX boxes can be pretty small and that frees me from the problem of squeezing a beefy NAS into the same chassis. No real justification for ECC there either.

I just need the case and some RAM and I'll be ready to roll.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 7, 2017

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

DrDork posted:

Remember that BestBuy allows extended returns during the holiday season, so anyone who picked ones up at $159 or whatever before can go, buy these at $140, and then walk back in with them and the old receipt to return the $159 ones. There's no serial tracking for them on BB's end.

Thanks for pointing out that. I just did it online, got $40 back and immediately went and bought another drive because I have no self control.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
Where are y'all doing it online? I didn't see any easy form and when I try the chat thingy, it's just a bot that tells me to call a phone number.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Every one of these I've shucked has had a red-labeled EFAX inside.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've got 2 out of 3 being the white labeled drives.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ChiralCondensate posted:

Where are y'all doing it online? I didn't see any easy form and when I try the chat thingy, it's just a bot that tells me to call a phone number.

Used the live chat, which was not closed earlier.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I've got 2 out of 3 being the white labeled drives.
e: This guide from reddit is super helpful and has ways to determine what the drive is before you shuck: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 8, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm going to turn my old old server (Athlon 5350) into a portable tape drive inside a small mITX case like this. I need a low-profile and ideally short SAS controller for it. There won't be any other drives on it. Anything wrong with something like this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

e: This guide from reddit is super helpful and has ways to determine what the drive is before you shuck: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/

I'm not bothered any way as the white label drive seems to be a red as far as I'm concerned...mainly that it has TLER.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 8, 2017

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I was buying these drives so often reflexively for the past year that I didn’t realize I already had 8.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just got back into town and unboxed my easystores. Both are NESN, but both have the EMAZ drives inside (white labeled reds, 256MB cache, 3.3v power disable).

Seems like the newer NESN are coming with the EMAZ drives now. I'm not bothered by it at all, and happy for the 256MB cache.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Just got two more NESN, both EFAX.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
How dumb of an idea is it to run the WD 8TBs in a 4-disk Raid 5 in a Synology? I've seen plenty of fearmongering articles about how a read error during rebuild is all but guaranteed to destroy my data at some point, but my thought is that the combination of 1 parity drive and cloud backups for data that can't be easily re-obtained is 'good enough' for home use. I'm looking to upgrade my 5-year old Synology and I'm having a hard time justifying a 5-drive model over the DS918+, especially given that the 918+ is cheaper and faster.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I've been noticing some weird issues cropping up on my PC. How can I check my hard drive health? I suspect one of my many may be failing... I have both SSD's and spinning platters.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

I've been noticing some weird issues cropping up on my PC. How can I check my hard drive health? I suspect one of my many may be failing... I have both SSD's and spinning platters.

Run SMART diagnostics, usually there's a manufacturer tool to do so. Your SSD should have a tool as well, it'll tell you how many writes and assess the health of the drive.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

sharkytm posted:

Run SMART diagnostics, usually there's a manufacturer tool to do so. Your SSD should have a tool as well, it'll tell you how many writes and assess the health of the drive.

I dunno if it's still the best tool for the job or not, but I've been using CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of my drives for years now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Whats goonthink on Unraid? Good or bad? I only have 8 x 4tb disks if it matters.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

Whats goonthink on Unraid? Good or bad? I only have 8 x 4tb disks if it matters.

It's very good. Awesome community support with a shitload of dockers for anything you can think of.

Worth the money imo.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

It's very good. Awesome community support with a shitload of dockers for anything you can think of.

Worth the money imo.

Cool. I am not clear on what type of raid tech it uses. What file system does it use to store the raw data on disks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

redeyes posted:

Cool. I am not clear on what type of raid tech it uses. What file system does it use to store the raw data on disks?

My disks are XFS. I have one parity disk. My cache drive is btrfs for some weird reason.

I honestly haven't dove too far into the raid tech. It's really nice because you can mix and match drive sizes and have full parity and protection on each one without losing space on your larger ones. The one caveat is you have to have your parity drive be your largest drive.

SpaceinvaderOne on YouTube has some info on how the raid works.