Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yesterday on my way home I saw two dudes on a Harley wearing shorts and flip flops, listing to magic carpet ride. I thought of you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Last week the owner of the warehouse next door showed up on his Rocket III then went off down the street cranked over, rolling on the throttle like a boss.

Looks like poo poo in yellow though.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Slavvy posted:

Last week the owner of the warehouse next door showed up on his Rocket III then went off down the street cranked over, rolling on the throttle like a boss.

Looks like poo poo in yellow though.

I had to google Rocket III yellow. You're definitely right..

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013
I went on a ride this past weekend, coastal 101 in Cali. I was thinking about the discussion about heat, and how people kept cool while being protected.
I was riding with this bunch:

in this kind of weather:

on my 03 GSXR-750 that gets decently hot. I had on this shirt under my black leather jacket, decently thick jeans, military boots, and wrist long riding gloves. I wasn't too hot at all, not even when the group would loose someone and we would circle to pick them up. There were a few points where traffic got bad, but it still wasn't too bad... after all the shirt really did make me cool off a lot when we picked up speed again.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

Yesterday on my way home I saw two dudes on a Harley wearing shorts and flip flops, listing to magic carpet ride. I thought of you guys.

For a second I thought I was in Becktastics travel thread and got confused.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
A couple of days ago, I was riding to a doctor's appointment on the highway and was experiencing weird surges and drops in power and had power completely cut out while on the highway, which wasn't loving fun at all.

It turns out I must have kicked loose the plug from a little black box on the left FI assembly. It can be seen here just to the right of the cylinder head. [s]I think it's the FI ECU, but haven't had a chance to look it up yet.[/]s

Losing power like that on the freeway was scary, to say the least.

Edit: Thank you. VVVVV Also, plugged it back in and everything was fine.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 9, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's the throttle position sensor.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Start my summer road trip tomorrow morning. 5000km each way, with a lengthy stop in the middle. Here's my route:

Did about 2/3 of this trip last year, stopping in Saskatchewan. Doing the whole thing this time.

Bike: 1991 CB750 and a couple of saddlebags. Going to be fun. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if you're looking for input or not, but for the west leg least you've chosen about the most mind numbingly boring route I could possibly imagine. The prairies is pretty awful no matter how you slice it, but if you actively want to get off the 4-lane stay south and hit the #3 Crowsnest from Medicine Hat. I might even buy you a beer if you are in my neck of the woods.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I noticed your entire trip seems to be in not-America. That's an odd choice. If you just go a bit further south then you'll be in America.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yeah, fun is not a word I've ever heard used to describe driving across Canada.

I've only been as far as Fernie through Crowsnest, the first part through the foothills is beautiful, but better when heading east because of the panoramic view of flat you get as you leave the mountains. If you're heading west, I think I'd take the Trans Canada. Sure, you've got the big trucks to deal with, but I think Kicking Horse and Rogers pass are pretty epic by comparison. Does Crowsnest get better past Fernie?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

slidebite posted:

Not sure if you're looking for input or not, but for the west leg least you've chosen about the most mind numbingly boring route I could possibly imagine. The prairies is pretty awful no matter how you slice it, but if you actively want to get off the 4-lane stay south and hit the #3 Crowsnest from Medicine Hat. I might even buy you a beer if you are in my neck of the woods.

Ya I'm torn about the Crow's Nest or going through Jasper/Banff/whatever.

quote:

yeah, fun is not a word I've ever heard used to describe driving across Canada.

You poor souls. The only poo poo part is Winnipeg. Northern Ontario is mind blowing. Saskatchewan is my native land, and Alberta/BC has the mountains.

As for not crossing into America, I also don't visit China or Burma.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Backov posted:

Ya I'm torn about the Crow's Nest or going through Jasper/Banff/whatever.

You poor souls. The only poo poo part is Winnipeg. Northern Ontario is mind blowing. Saskatchewan is my native land, and Alberta/BC has the mountains.

Southern Ontario is my native land, and I spent 2 years in North Bay. Basically everything from Montreal to at least Sudbury is poo poo*. Past that, along Superior is probably really nice, if you can see through the bugs. I wouldn't rule the trek out as an experience, but only as the kind of experience you have to remind you why mankind invented aircraft.

(*I say poo poo, there are some very nice back roads, but 401-400-69 aren't exactly the most epic roads I've ever travelled.)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 9, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Linedance posted:

Does Crowsnest get better past Fernie?
Basically it only begins to get fun at Fernie, but truth be told I'd still take even east of Fernie over the #1 no question. It's a far better riding road, hands down. Biggest issue would have to be some of the summit areas of the passes the roads might be a bit choppy, but they try to stay on top of it as it's still primary highway.

It might take you a bit longer because there are more twists and turns but trust me, it's far nicer and more scenic. The little towns are spaced just right too and it carries on, even past the Okanagan.

Are you riding back? If you're undecided why don't you take both?

quote:

Ouch.

To be fair, the entire western half of the US is pretty epic. Washington, Idaho, even Northern Montana is beautiful.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2013

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Linedance posted:

Southern Ontario is my native land, and I spent 2 years in North Bay. Basically everything from Montreal to at least Sudbury is poo poo. Past that, along Superior is probably really nice, if you can see through the bugs. I wouldn't rule the trek out as an experience, but only as the kind of experience you have to remind you why mankind invented aircraft.

Absolutely Montreal->Sudbury is poo poo, but it's day one. I love north of Superior, my favorite part of Canada.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd change it to Toronto->Detroit->Chicago->Milwaukee->Madison->Minneapolis->Winnipeg.

Lots of cool stuff to see on that route.

noxiousg
May 24, 2013

Backov posted:

Start my summer road trip tomorrow morning. 5000km each way, with a lengthy stop in the middle. Here's my route:

Did about 2/3 of this trip last year, stopping in Saskatchewan. Doing the whole thing this time.

Probably too late for you to change it this much, and I'm not sure how the road would be on two wheels, but if you go north out of Vancouver along highway 99, there are supposed to be some wonderful vistas and lots of twists and turns along this route. It meets back up with your planned route at Kamloops. I intend to go along this route during a road trip next summer, though I'll be doing it with four wheels.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Basically what we're trying to say is 'Ride in America instead'

I mean honestly, aside from that bit in the north cascades, you'll probably hit some much more interesting roads that way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Backov posted:

Well done doing it. I have heard read a bit on the internet that Canada is boring by people that haven't ridden across it, but have spent hours and hours reading about people who did it and had a great time. Be safe and post pics!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The great plains suck for interesting riding regardless of which side of the 49th he is on.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ola posted:

Well done doing it. I have heard read a bit on the internet that Canada is boring by people that haven't ridden across it, but have spent hours and hours reading about people who did it and had a great time. Be safe and post pics!

I ride through a lot of "boring" places and always have a great time doing it. Flatness sort of fascinates me; it's not something I am accustomed to so when I get to the plains it's pretty exciting.

Had a conversation with a guy at a gas station in Wall, SD - I was marveling at how far along the horizon you can see and how flat it was there. He laughed and explained that I ain't seen nothing yet if I keep going east.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'd change it to Toronto->Detroit->Chicago->Milwaukee->Madison->Minneapolis->Winnipeg.

Lots of cool stuff to see on that route.

All of that sounds terrible. It sounds like a bunch of huge cities and lots of speeding tickets. Not to mention the full cavity warrantless search at the border.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

I ride through a lot of "boring" places and always have a great time doing it. Flatness sort of fascinates me;
I like my landscape like I like my women.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Saskatchewan RCMP will ticket out-of-province plates doing 120km/h in a 100. I can only imagine what they'd do if you were caught doing those numbers in miles per hour. The word 'cornhole' comes to mind.
I'd like to see the great plains at some point too, but preferably as a blur, with brief stops to marvel at the flatness while I piss/eat/drink.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Easily traversable.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Backov posted:

All of that sounds terrible. It sounds like a bunch of huge cities and lots of speeding tickets. Not to mention the full cavity warrantless search at the border.

You don't even have to cross the border! I've been stopped by border patrol a solid hour south :911:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Bushy?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Forgettable? Desolate?

Backov posted:

To be fair, I cross the border probably 12+ times a year and have never had even a glance over their shades.

But then again I'm a white middle aged guy so :iiam:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Harsh and unforgiving?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Meticulously manicured weekly by a crew of Mexicans?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

noxiousg posted:

I intend to go along this route during a road trip next summer, though I'll be doing it with four wheels.

How are you going to ride two motorcycles at the same time :confused:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Covered by glaciers in the last ice age?

Giggity.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Handicap accessible?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Today I realized that the "lights only" ignition position that seems to confuse people is really nice for trying to stay visible while pushing your bike for two miles on the highway shoulder without completely killing the battery.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Heated grips are so drat nice when you forget to bring your waterproof gloves. Also, I really wonder what the rest of the people coming out of the store was thinking about me slowly going about my business, loading up my foodstuff, putting on my gear then my rain suit in the middle of a real downpour. Lesson: look harder for some kinda roof/overhang to park under when the weather is unstable.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Elephant foot buckling, courtesy of Graebel Van Lines

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

Oh no! Time to get some dirt bars!

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

M42 posted:

That sucks. Do you think they dropped it or just bound it where it could repeatedly hammer the barend into something solid?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There's no way you could buckle metal like that just by dropping the bike. It needed probably a literal ton of pressure on it for that kind of buckling to happen. Company's got insurance at least, so I won't have to pay for parts/labor/whatever. They hosed up some of our other stuff, too :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

There's no way you could buckle metal like that just by dropping the bike. It needed probably a literal ton of pressure on it for that kind of buckling to happen. Company's got insurance at least, so I won't have to pay for parts/labor/whatever. They hosed up some of our other stuff, too :buddy:

It's probably a combination of how it was ratchet-strapped to the wall of the truck, and them ratchet strapping more poo poo to it. Next time I have to move my bike, I'm going to rent a small Penske truck (because they have wooden floors), mount anchors to the floor, strap down my bike properly, and hide the evidence with wood putty when I'm done.