Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xenomrph posted:

What is Plex? Is it a collection tracker?

I use blu-ray.com's collection tracker (and I have their app on my phone). I was actually thinking about asking what everyone uses for collection tracking, this seems like a good enough segue.

It's a home theater server, so you can rip your discs and store on hard disks then watch them in source quality on any device, sync to mobile, watch outside of the home etc. Its pretty easy stuff and useful.

I use the Blu-Ray.com tracker too when I remember it exists. I'm sure I have some gaps in there. It also doesn't help I have some of my collection here, and some in Europe and never know which disc is where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I own like 250 blu rays and I never seem to forget what I have or don't have. I can pretty much remember when/how I bought each one of them.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I can pretty much remember when/how I bought each one of them.

You should categorize them autobiographically like Rob in High Fidelity.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Timby posted:

This makes no sense.

Edit: I totally get having things as display pieces, but if the movie is good and sound / picture are good, who gives a flying gently caress if the label on the case is pretty?

If it's something I don't love or are passionate about, I can wait for a better case. Take Killer Klowns from Outer Space for example. Terrible NA cover. I can wait for a decent rerelease or maybe even import the Arrow release.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

If it's something I don't love or are passionate about, I can wait for a better case. Take Killer Klowns from Outer Space for example. Terrible NA cover. I can wait for a decent rerelease or maybe even import the Arrow release.

And now I just discovered something I didn't know happened

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

All my poo poo is alphabetized, Blus and DVDs mixed together. Anything with more than one movie on a disc goes by the first one on the spine, only the boxed sets that can't fit in the shelf are typically out of order and off shelf. Currently my case is full though, so overflow tends to go in a big pile until I get moved.

Same, although I do have a section for boxed sets that aren't named after a specific movie (like the Vincent Price Collections or any Eclipse sets).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just saw T2 3D in theatres and it made me miss 3D films a little bit; wish it was coming to Blu Ray also but apparently just the 2d one is.

Jurassic Park and Terminator 2 were the best 3D will ever have :qq:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Multi feature sets drive me up the wall. I will always go individual release when possible, unless the set includes extra features. The Bond series is probably the worst offender. Every time they release a new movie they rerelease the series set with one more movie and extra. I could just buy the new one individually but then the collection looks goofy. And they can't keep a consistent design between releases either. The Fast and Furious franchise has been really good about that thought. Last few movies got steelbook releases from Best Buy that match which I appreciate.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ruddiger posted:

You should categorize them autobiographically like Rob in High Fidelity.
I kind of do. More so with books because I have more but the point stands.

Amazon has had a nice feature for a few years now that will tell you if you already bought an item and when. Obviously it won't save you if you buy a slightly different version of something that's listed seperately. I did save me from buying a second copy of Lawrence of Arabia when I forgot that I had it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I use the Blu-ray.com app, which is okay. I needed to use it after I kept forgetting which titles I have already. I'd share my collection list, but it's filled with nothing but garbage movies and anime that people would make endless fun of. Also, it's not fully updated because I only have been cataloging what I have the past year or so.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 1, 2017

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

The complaints I remember were poor dynamic range, very light blacks, not yellow enough, and maybe some other random rumblings. I'm kinda fishing for some more measured opinions from this thread.

Kino dialled down the yellow, but since the yellow was so dominant on the 2014 MGM, they ended up with a quite colourless image. I'm not really sure why they also ended up with such terrible black levels but here we are: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=10727&d2=4091&s1=104660&s2=38008&i=1&l=0
The compression also sucks. :(

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I just have a letterboxd list of everything I own. I don't separate it by DVD or blu Ray though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I've used DVD Profiler for many years. I think I started it using it in 2003 when I had just over 100 DVDs. http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Aardvark-DK
I mostly remove the DVDs from the collection when I upgrade to BD, unless the DVD has some particularly yummy extras - that I never have time to watch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When I want to know if I already own something, I just look at the shelf :confused:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Iron Crowned posted:

When I want to know if I already own something, I just look at the shelf :confused:

That's a good system for those times when you're out, see a deal, buy it, and then come home and realize you already own it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

This makes no sense.

Edit: I totally get having things as display pieces, but if the movie is good and sound / picture are good, who gives a flying gently caress if the label on the case is pretty?

The rest of my post had it make sense.

Liar Lyre posted:

this is what I meant.

That top KK is some quick re-release thing that isn't special whatsoever. I look at that and go uh, gently caress no.

Then something else like the bottom one drops and I'll snag that up regardless.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 1, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

this is what I meant.

That top KK is some quick re-release thing that isn't special whatsoever. I look at that and go uh, gently caress no.

Then something else like the bottom one drops and I'll snag that up regardless.

Along the same lines, there are movies that I would have bought by now, regardless of lovely packaging, except for the fact that they always seem to be available on one of the streaming services I subscribe to. So it's no problem to just wait until a nicer edition is released because its not like I'm sitting around wishing I could watch the movie, it's there whenever I want it. For example, I haven't bought Nightmare on Elm Street for that reason, every year around October it's inevitably going to show up on either Netflix or Prime/Shudder. Same for Candyman.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I use blu-ray.com. I have over 500 DVDs and 150 Blu's cataloged on it. Even had to add about 20 of the DVDs myself.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Blu-ray.com, baby. I've even started rating films I see but don't own using the Movies category.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I got to see Close Encounters of the Third Kind last night in a theater. It was amazing.

When it was starting, my girlfriend said "I wish they remastered it." And I said "It's probably the best it can look, they probably filmed it in 4k." She laughed, thinking I was joking. Now, I know 4k has been a thing in film for years before 4k tvs were a thing, but could someone explain the technical side as to why film was 4k? (Was I even right that what we saw was 4k?)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Film is an analog format so you can scan it at any resolution you desire, although it will only resolve to a certain resolution. 16mm isn't as detailed at 4K for example, but scanning at that resolution will still give you finer grain detail so it's worth doing.

So to say it was 'filmed in 4K' isn't accurate, but to say 'a 4K scan and remaster will make it look better than ever before' is fine

IMDb says close encounters was filmed in both 35mm and 65mm, so yeah a UHD 4K release should look fantastic for example.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cool. That makes sense.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

When I went to school for filmmaking, we were talking about 4k for just filming and having a larger canvas to work with when doing digital effects to make them look better. 4k TVs were just an idea at the time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Close Encounters was shot primarily on 35mm in Panavision, with all effects shot photographed in Super Panavision (65mm spherical). However, Columbia junked the 65mm elements at some point, leaving only the 35mm reductions cut into the 35mm camera negative. Also, when the film was recut for the 1980 special edition, the negatives to the footage deleted from the 1977 cut were junked. The 1997 director's cut had to use color separations and/or interpositives for the footage exclusive to the '77 cut.

Sony scans in 6K/8K and does all restoration work at 4K. However, the film was shot largely with fast film stocks, filters, and push processing by Vilmos Zsigmond. It'll always look grainy. Sony does such an amazing job preserving the intended look of films, so I'd expect it to look flawless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always good to know the specifics for a film, it's a shame IMDb doesn't include more detail like that than simply listing what it was originally filmed on as it's always interesting.

Liar Lyre posted:

When I went to school for filmmaking, we were talking about 4k for just filming and having a larger canvas to work with when doing digital effects to make them look better. 4k TVs were just an idea at the time.

NFL similarly use 4K cameras for 1080 broadcasts so they can bring things into detail in replays, which I always thought was neat.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

EL BROMANCE posted:

Always good to know the specifics for a film, it's a shame IMDb doesn't include more detail like that than simply listing what it was originally filmed on as it's always interesting.

I find that ShotOnWhat is pretty comprehensive for the films that are in it, but it still doesn't capture the history of the elements post release.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Empress Brosephine posted:

Just saw T2 3D in theatres and it made me miss 3D films a little bit; wish it was coming to Blu Ray also but apparently just the 2d one is.

Jurassic Park and Terminator 2 were the best 3D will ever have :qq:

T2 3d isn't getting a home release? I was looking forward to that. It's crazy that 3d movies are given one printing and then done these days. I don't understand why they don't try a situation like Amazon has with some more obscure shows (such as Upright Citizens Brigade Season 3) where they print the discs when they are ordered. With how quick new releases sell out, it's clear there is still some kind of small market for them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The UK set is getting the 3D print while the US one isn't, not sure why.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I'd like to thank whoever decided that the only way to get Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on 3D was through a store exclusive limited edition.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

I'd like to thank whoever decided that the only way to get Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on 3D was through a store exclusive limited edition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guardians-...alaxy+vol+2+3-D

It says Region B, but to my knowledge Disney doesn't region lock their Blu-rays.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Egbert Souse posted:

It says Region B, but to my knowledge Disney doesn't region lock their Blu-rays.

Someone on the bluray.com forums says that it is indeed Region Free.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

I can't confirm with Guardians but I've heard all 3d Disney blu rays except Ratatouille work on US players. I have the British 3D versions of Captain America 1 and Rogue One. (And have Thor 1/Dr Strange on the way) If I was anybody in this thread that thinks they might want Spider-Man Homecoming 3d, I'd preorder it asap. American Marvel 3d blu rays post Antman sell out and don't seem to get reprints.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Egbert really is a treasure to this forum. I just want to recognize that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Steve Yun posted:

Egbert really is a treasure to this forum. I just want to recognize that.

Seconding this. I know I've PMed him in the past in abject awe of his knowledge, but it bears repeating.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wonder if the Last Jedi gets a 3d home release. I really doubt episode 9 does but wish they all would.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sony is putting out a UHD set of the Raimi Spider-Man movies:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22024

Looks like they're even carrying over all the extras, including the editor's cut of 3 and the extended cut of 2.

I recall 2 and 3 had 4K DIs or at least 4K scans for the DIs.

Xenomrph posted:

Seconding this. I know I've PMed him in the past in abject awe of his knowledge, but it bears repeating.

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if the Last Jedi gets a 3d home release. I really doubt episode 9 does but wish they all would.

Gee, thanks fellas. :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

At least the art doesn't look as lovely as this:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

UV code for Blade Runner (Final Cut): HVWJQ3X6GYQB. Please post if you take it so others don't bother.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sir Kodiak posted:

UV code for Blade Runner (Final Cut): HVWJQ3X6GYQB. Please post if you take it so others don't bother.

Grabbed it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

At least the art doesn't look as lovely as this:

The fact that physical copies of these covers exist bums me out to no end.

Fortunately the two Twin Peaks avatars back to back brought me right back up.

• Locked thread