Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Still a made-up word. Just made up by the Irish a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wasn't trying to deflect any sort of accusations of "made-up", just providing the requested supplementary reference materials. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

If you're going to use made-up words, I'm going to also need supplementary reference materials.

Geas: See also Cúchulainn. You fought him in in multiple Final Fantasy games. :colbert:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

By that logic all words are made up words.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

By that logic all words are made up words.

This would technically be true!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

This would technically be true!

Technically correct, the best kind of correct!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Exactly! :v:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Secretly, life is just made up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Final Fantasy VIII had a kick-rear end robot spider. It was weak to thunder spells but you had a time limit and at the end your sexy teacher shoots it with a goddamn gatling gun.

Final Fantasy VII had you snowboard down a mountain and ride a motorcycle down a highway, slicing other motherfuckers who are also on motorcycles with a sword as big as you are.

I just wanted to remind people of awesome things that were in Final Fantasy games.

In Final Fantasy IV, a fleet of airships and a division of tanks blow up a giant robot made by moon men.

In Final Fantasy V, you sail around on a pirate ship that's being pulled by a sea serpent.

In Final Fantasy VI, a martial artist, a samurai, and a ninja escape from a mysterious train that's bearing them to the land of the dead. Not many people would think to try this on their own, but the train itself can be suplexed.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
No mention of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in the op?

This is an outrage! :frog:

Jesus I can't believe I actually played through that piece of poo poo..... three times :negative:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Barudak posted:

If you can struggle to grind out FF2 you can toad the final boss. Casting Death on Orphan in FFXIII is also amusing as hell because it makes whats a grandiose fight take approximately 6-10 seconds with some luck.

Edit: Any magic user fight where you can Beserk them is cool as well. FF12 had a lot of those for some reason.

Nope, the final boss is immune to Toad. (One of, like, three bosses in the entire game that are) You can use a glitch to Toad the final boss, but that specifically requires you NOT to level Toad. Also it doesn't work in any other version of FF2.

Fortunately you have a million other cheap methods to take out the final boss, it's just you'll kill it in 2-3 turns instead of one.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Mystic Quest is good if you're looking for an easy RPG you can blow through in a day. Also the soundtrack kicks rear end

Can't really call it a piece of poo poo when FF2 exists

also, thanks for the advice and tips regarding 4HoL guys, I'm having a blast with it.

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 27, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr Pepper posted:

I really doubt that Chrono Cross was ever "another RPG that turned into a Chrono Trigger sequel", it's mostly that with Chrono Trigger Masato Kato was under Yuji Hori's thumb, while with Cross he had free reign to do what he wanted.

Did he get divorced in the meantime or something? I remember reading that's one of the things that happened to Itoi between making EarthBound and Mother 3, and that after that happened he rewrote most of what was EarthBound 64 into the much more depressing story we got.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
FFV was released for Android today and my still pretty decent phone that hasn't given me problems with anything yet is unsupported. :(

What a sad, sad day.

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training
Chrono Cross didn't work as a sequel because it had nothing to do with Chrono Trigger. It has a different message, different characters, different setting, different aesthetics, different gameplay, different everything. Rather than celebrate stuff that people liked from the original game, it kills the heroes you love off-camera. What's worse is that since the game doesn't bother explaining what's going on until something like the last hour of gameplay, CC doesn't even benefit from tying into an established setting. You could cut away all the ties to Chrono Trigger and it wouldn't make a difference to the majority of the game.

It works about as well as if XIII revealed at the very end that it is the future of Ivalice, and the world went to poo poo because you decided to go against the Occuria in XII. It wouldn't change the journey or the story of XIII in the least bit, while castrating the message of the prequel.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

chumbler posted:

Some like Van and Funguy were completely pointless and could easily have been scrubbed from the game, though.

Funguy was the only interesting character in Chrono Cross.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
All this CC talk makes me want to replay it again. loving love that game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NewtGoongrich posted:

Funguy was the only interesting character in Chrono Cross.

Sprigg.

Azure_Horizon posted:

All this CC talk makes me want to replay it again. loving love that game.

Same.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Instead of replaying Chrono Cross get the music CD, pop that sucker in and look at some of the background art. You'll get everything good the game has to offer except Dwarf-Murder.

Edit: And this is coming from the person who beat this game probably 3 or 4 times.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 27, 2013

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Oh man I think I made a mistake by buying FF13 and 13-2. The battle system is bugging the hell out of me. I really hate having to look down at the battle menu every 2 seconds and feeling like I don't know what the gently caress any of the characters are doing. I wish battles were turn based like in X.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Oh man I think I made a mistake by buying FF13 and 13-2. The battle system is bugging the hell out of me. I really hate having to look down at the battle menu every 2 seconds and feeling like I don't know what the gently caress any of the characters are doing. I wish battles were turn based like in X.

The only commands you make in a battle are to confirm the target of your actions and to select the current paradigm you fight under. You really shouldn't have to ever look at the specific actions they're selecting because out of a very small pool of situations they will always pick the optimal moves. Make sure you libra the hell out of stuff though; it makes them do their job leagues better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Instead of replaying Chrono Cross get the music CD, pop that sucker in and look at some of the background art. You'll get everything good the game has to offer except Dwarf-Murder.

Edit: And this is coming from the person who beat this game probably 3 or 4 times.

I endorse this. Beautiful game, fantastic music, absolutely a chore to play.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

So I should simply ignore the abilities tab and just auto-battle stuff most of the time? Well okay I will try that. Seems goofy as hell though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So I should simply ignore the abilities tab and just auto-battle stuff most of the time? Well okay I will try that. Seems goofy as hell though.

The only time you should ever be touching anything other than "auto-battle" is when you want to use a technique. The AI is extremely competent (again, outside of its weird Com/Com freakout issues) to the point of building the stagger guage faster and more efficiently than most players know how to or can even input. FFXIII tries to make the transition from the old FF games micromanaging for gameplay through FFXII's AI optimization gameplay to a point where you only control the overarching strategy and flow of combat and can trust the AI to handle the mundanities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geek U.S.A. posted:

You generally was guiding what they're doing via paradigms instead of the specifics of what they're doing, with an emphasis on keeping your attacks going as fast as possible. In general think of it how in previous Final Fantasy games you'd have someone cast Fire over and over until they needed to do something else. Here the "cast fire over and over" part is automated and you just tell them when to switch to something else.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

As much as people didn't like him, I actually loved playing as Lynx. He just looked awesome. As for "the game being a chore to play." What? CC has competent gameplay, and a fine battle system. Say what you will about the story, but it has no problems anywhere else.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Ahh! that puts things into perspective. Thanks now I actually feel like playing again.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

6EQUJ5 posted:

I was thinking last night that I might try playing through the whole series (excluding XI and XIV). Is this a really stupid idea that will only cause me pain?

I have previously played VII, X, X2 and XII for varying lengths of time and enjoyed them all, and I'm planning on playing XIII and 2 soon. The thought just crossed my mind that I should play them all.

I actually started this very same thing at the beginning of this year. I had only played 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7, and for some reason got hit with a rush of nostalgia after trying Dissidia 012 and loving it, so I went down that path.

1-6 are easy if you just want to plow through them (in their original NES/SNES versions), and it helps to have a walkthrough handy especially for 2 and 3. 7 is not as fast considering all the silly side stuff there is to do, and actually in the context of the whole "play 'em all" thing it got tedious fast. 8 was more enjoyable, but again I plowed through that with a walkthrough that helped me break it over my knee and that's always fun. 9 is really solid so at least that's fun on its own. I skipped 10 only because it's coming out again soon, and 12 and 13, while they got to a point where I was just anxious for them to end, were enjoyable experiences overall (I played IZJS though). And since I live in a place where it's really easy to find bargain-bin cheap copies of the soundtracks, Ultimanias, Amano artbooks, etc., re-immersion into FF has been a fun if weird new ongoing side-hobby.

The only thing I recommend if you undertake it is, no matter how fast you plow through each individual game, definitely give yourself a breather in between to play something else! Or not play games!

Oh, and unrelated; but for all the criticism 13's story gets, I don't think it gets more un-parse-able than Dissidia's.

Elec fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 27, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Azure_Horizon posted:

As for "the game being a chore to play." What? CC has competent gameplay, and a fine battle system. Say what you will about the story, but it has no problems anywhere else.

This would be confusing coming from anyone other than the thread's biggest FF XIII apologist. Never stop.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This would be confusing coming from anyone other than the thread's biggest FF XIII apologist. Never stop.

Ah, yes, what a clever rebuttal.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Sorry, everyone loved the gently caress out of Chrono Cross when it came out. It got universally awesome scores across the board. You of all people, who believes FF7 is the best Final Fantasy, should understand that.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
So, playing XIII-2 along with a friend, and holy poo poo does Serah have at least three voiced lines in the first two hours in which she wonders why the gently caress she is suddenly wearing such a creepy rear end outfit.

Toriyama :allears:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I love how Lightning's expression is still stone cold.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Sorry, everyone loved the gently caress out of Chrono Cross when it came out. It got universally awesome scores across the board. You of all people, who believes FF7 is the best Final Fantasy, should understand that.

I would typically use this defense, but FF8 also received the same treatment upon its release and that game is hot garbage.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

So, playing XIII-2 along with a friend, and holy poo poo does Serah have at least three voiced lines in the first two hours in which she wonders why the gently caress she is suddenly wearing such a creepy rear end outfit.

Toriyama :allears:

I always loved how the writers felt that a temporal paradox was a better way to give Serah a new wardrobe than just saying that she decided to change clothes at some point during the three year period between games.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah, I gotta agree that CC is perfectly playable. It did a lot to streamline gameplay in smart ways, like letting you avoid random encounters pretty easily (generally easier than in even CT), and letting you automatically use healing magic/items after battle to minimize menu crap between battles. Plus, the battle system was a pretty cleverly constructed system encouraging variety between physical and magical attacks, different KINDS of magical attacks (based on varied character elements and the bonuses they got to corresponding magic elements), and even different spell strengths (since you could generally only cast each element once per battle, you couldn't just keep spamming your best spells).

Yeah, the storyline and pacing are a mess in spots, but the visuals, gameplay, and especially music are phenomenal. It's very playable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I really think you need to put yourself in the mindset of a person playing the game when it was just released. Final Fantasy 8 might not hold up today, but at the time it was released it was just a visual marvel. Everyone was too busy looking at the awesome graphics to give a gently caress about any lackluster gameplay. Same with Chrono Cross, really. That and the goddamn amazing soundtrack (for CC, not FF8).

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 27, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The fights in CC are fast-paced and fun but the battle music is god-drat awful.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, I gotta agree that CC is perfectly playable. It did a lot to streamline gameplay in smart ways, like letting you avoid random encounters pretty easily (generally easier than in even CT), and letting you automatically use healing magic/items after battle to minimize menu crap between battles. Plus, the battle system was a pretty cleverly constructed system encouraging variety between physical and magical attacks, different KINDS of magical attacks (based on varied character elements and the bonuses they got to corresponding magic elements), and even different spell strengths (since you could generally only cast each element once per battle, you couldn't just keep spamming your best spells).

Yeah, the storyline and pacing are a mess in spots, but the visuals, gameplay, and especially music are phenomenal. It's very playable.

Exactly. It's a really accessible game in pretty much all ways and it's weird how little its (at the time) revolutionary gameplay elements have been used since. While FF8 would be its direct contender at the time in terms of big releases from Square, FF8's gameplay was boring and altogether way too easy to break. CC keeps you at a pretty decent level of challenge and I enjoyed its level-capping feature.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Oh, that's another thing. People complain about the Star-based leveling, but I like how the game basically actively discouraged grinding. There is virtually no reason to ever go out of your way to fight things except for the occasional crafting ingredient drop. This also led to pretty careful balanced difficulty curves. If only they eliminated they way you could ever-so-slightly skew stats on characters by never using them, but the difference was pretty minor.

Now I don't feel that this is the same as the story-imposed level caps like in XIII, which still required you to fight a ton of enemies to reach. That system was more like "you need to grind exactly this much" instead of "fighting more than 2 or 3 fights between bosses is a waste."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Renoistic posted:

The fights in CC are fast-paced and fun but the battle music is god-drat awful.

I like to think of it more as an acquired taste. I live for that shrill violin now.