Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Being one character on a huge battlefield was a major series complaint. That's why they changed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Character switching/management is actually a cool and good way to add more depth to musou games, IMO.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Takoluka posted:

Being one character on a huge battlefield was a major series complaint. That's why they changed it.

This baffles me as a huge draw of musou and wuxia in general is being a superhuman dominating the battlefield.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PureRok posted:

I wish they would stop with this multiple character control they've moved toward in the newer games. I want to play one character, not babysit 2-3 others while trying to musou my way through the universe.

Hasn't this mechanic been part of the company for almost a decade? At some point it stops being a "newer" thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rynoto posted:

This baffles me as a huge draw of musou and wuxia in general is being a superhuman dominating the battlefield.

Basically, better hardware meant bigger numbers, and to get biggest numbers, you needed mooks to be less threatening. That meant being a single superhuman was boring for a Warrior Worth A Thousand, so people wanted a higher level of interaction with the battle. The best balance was multiple character management, especially in a world where gates close and trap people.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like the gimmick some Musou games (typically Samurai) have where you can order around your officers through a map screen. I wanna say Chronicle 3 had touch screen commanding so you could just order someone to go to this spot to do reinforcements.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think all the 3DS games and also the WiiU version of Hyrule Warriors

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The multiple characters feature basically started as a feature on the 3ds games, since the 2nd screen was convenient for that. Then they realized being able to control multiple characters was a pretty good mechanic and ported it into all future musou games from that point forward.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I still would like mooks to actually do things instead of just standing around waiting for someone to kill them. It doesn't make me feel like A Warrior Worth a Thousand when I'm mowing down enemies that are just standing still. It makes me feel like I'm on the training grounds attacking straw dummies, or at the very least at a theme park where these dudes are getting paid to just fall over if I touch them.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still would like mooks to actually do things instead of just standing around waiting for someone to kill them. It doesn't make me feel like A Warrior Worth a Thousand when I'm mowing down enemies that are just standing still. It makes me feel like I'm on the training grounds attacking straw dummies, or at the very least at a theme park where these dudes are getting paid to just fall over if I touch them.

But they're terrified of you, that's why they don't attack! It is pretty lame I agree. Bring back the days when five generic dudes each wearing a cool hat could at the very least be disruptive!

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

I'm on team "controlling multiple dudes is good and fun actually." In Fire Emblem Warriors it felt like that mechanic helped infuse a little more of the light strategy element I love back into the formula, because I had to be thoughtful about when to switch, which characters to send where, making sure I had good coverage across the map, etc.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I bought 8XL recently. It's decent, but I just don't like how easy it feels.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So my ps4 died a year and a half ago, and only just got around to finding a new one. I was about two trophies away from platinum on PW4, but I remember having a hard time on the last free mode mission (really hard, even with beefed up luffy and white beard).

Is there a recommended character that is great for this last mission? I'd like to just wrap the game up if possible.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah this is what has really broken the warriors games for me. Basically all of them are like this now.
I forget if it was AoC or Pirate Warriors where if you stand still in a crowd of mobs they will wind up to hit you every 10 seconds or so and miss.

As soon as I noticed it I stopped having fun. I liked the older games where the mobs could hurt you and the AI officers were pretty good. You'd have to level up to become a combat god.
The movesets are better than ever but it feels like a waste to use them

E and just in general the old way of doing it where it was a dynamic battlefield that would flow back and forth that you were influencing. I wish someone else would make those games again

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 9, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

So my ps4 died a year and a half ago, and only just got around to finding a new one. I was about two trophies away from platinum on PW4, but I remember having a hard time on the last free mode mission (really hard, even with beefed up luffy and white beard).

Is there a recommended character that is great for this last mission? I'd like to just wrap the game up if possible.

The answer there is actually in your skills. Just pick the ones that give you more defence and damage based on how low your health is, and any of your top-tier, maxed-out characters (Luffy and Whitebeard are both decent picks) will be able to bulldoze their way through any mission in the game. The bonuses are huge if your health is in the red, and if your health's not in the red then, well, you probably didn't need so much help anyway.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Koei sale on steam, bunch of games on sale.

..... You'll still be paying 30+ because a ton of their games are still 60 dollars at regular price.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Leal posted:

Koei sale on steam, bunch of games on sale.

..... You'll still be paying 30+ because a ton of their games are still 60 dollars at regular price.

nuts, 9 empires is still full price. i'm curious enough about it that i'd buy it cheap but nah at 60

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ainsley McTree posted:

nuts, 9 empires is still full price.

Not on the Nintendo Switch! :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah this is what has really broken the warriors games for me. Basically all of them are like this now.
I forget if it was AoC or Pirate Warriors where if you stand still in a crowd of mobs they will wind up to hit you every 10 seconds or so and miss.

As soon as I noticed it I stopped having fun. I liked the older games where the mobs could hurt you and the AI officers were pretty good. You'd have to level up to become a combat god.
The movesets are better than ever but it feels like a waste to use them

E and just in general the old way of doing it where it was a dynamic battlefield that would flow back and forth that you were influencing. I wish someone else would make those games again

This is all going to change when Resident Evil Warriors finally becomes real.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'd argue that the OG Hyrule warriors had a decent answer to that. It was always a situation of 'putting out fires before you lose everything'. And sometimes your haste to do so put you in danger.

But yeah, the days of interactive battlefields seem largely over.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
A couple Musou games are on sale on Xbox this week. I know DW9 is hated at the basic concept level so I'll avoid that, but were Orochi 3 or 4 worth picking up?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

3 is good, I haven't played 4.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WO3 is seen as the best of that series, but I can't comment on it personally. WO4 is alright but didn't hold much in the way of replay value for me; it was way too easy even with the difficulty ramped right up. I only played the base game however and didn't upgrade when that was released, so things may have improved since then.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Drakenel posted:

I'd argue that the OG Hyrule warriors had a decent answer to that. It was always a situation of 'putting out fires before you lose everything'. And sometimes your haste to do so put you in danger.

But yeah, the days of interactive battlefields seem largely over.

In some cases, that haste is a requirement, and it ends up being an exercise in frustration where you have to juggle the right officer kills in the right order with a little luck, else some villager dies and you have to do it over. There are some auto-generated missions in Warriors All-Stars that do this, and it reminded me of the garbage I had to do in early DW/SW games to get 5th weapons.

It's not easy to strike that balance, so for a lot of people, it's just more fun and cathartic to mow through hundreds upon hundreds of chaff to clear out a base and then move to the next one.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Takoluka posted:

In some cases, that haste is a requirement, and it ends up being an exercise in frustration where you have to juggle the right officer kills in the right order with a little luck, else some villager dies and you have to do it over. There are some auto-generated missions in Warriors All-Stars that do this, and it reminded me of the garbage I had to do in early DW/SW games to get 5th weapons.

It's not easy to strike that balance, so for a lot of people, it's just more fun and cathartic to mow through hundreds upon hundreds of chaff to clear out a base and then move to the next one.

A lot of old DW games got this right on the first try, weirdly enough. A lot of fires burning at once, and you needed to make split-decision movements towards what ones you felt you needed to deal with now vs weighing which ones might hold out longer or you could afford to lose and still be able to finish the battle. Like, a lot of my best memories of DW3 were dealing with fights like Wei-side Chi Bi or the Nanman Campaign where suddenly everything goes wrong at once and having to figure out what order you needed to hit things to have a chance of finishing your objectives before main commander was overwhelmed.

It was the 4th and 5th weapon requirements that asked the player to create a perfect order of operations that could still fail even if you did things perfectly that soured a lot of things, but that's because a lot of the old 4th/5th weapon requirements are bad game design that didn't embrace the failure mitigation where a lot of the fun of old Warriors games were and asked for perfection where such a task was a recipe for frustration.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

WO3 is seen as the best of that series, but I can't comment on it personally. WO4 is alright but didn't hold much in the way of replay value for me; it was way too easy even with the difficulty ramped right up. I only played the base game however and didn't upgrade when that was released, so things may have improved since then.

I think I'll pick 3 up then, and consider 4 next sale. Thanks :)

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
The thing about Warriors Orochi 3 is that it was released before Samurai Warriors 4 came out and refreshed all the SW characters' movesets to differentiate it from Dynasty Warriors, and therefore all the SW characters in WO3 just play like DW characters (discovering this when I first played WO3, having already played SW4, made me very sad). WO4 gives all its SW characters their modern movesets, making them much more fun to play.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Nah there is a difference between SW and DW characters in WO3, it's just very minor. I haven't played the game in years but I think it has to do with how they handle Musou attacks. It's something like, when you use a Musou attack as a DW character, they have a specific attack they use, and it consumes the entire meter. But using it as an SW character allows you to attack normally if you want, and just has a specific finisher when the meter runs out, also it becomes stronger if their health is in the red. It's hard to google for specific details about it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
My main gripe with WO3 is if you want the platinum because those troop requests are horribly grindy, pretty good otherwise.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just don’t like the God powers in WO4. Something about them just bothers me for game feel flow., but you can’t completely ignore them either if I remember right.

Losing the non-musou characters sucks too, since a lot of them had pretty fun movesets, though I understand why they made that decision.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KingShiro posted:

My main gripe with WO3 is if you want the platinum because those troop requests are horribly grindy, pretty good otherwise.

The plat being an insanely horrible grind is true of every Warriors game though.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
It feels worse than when I got it for WO2. I don't know what I have left to do in WO4, put it down a long time ago.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The plat being an insanely horrible grind is true of every Warriors game though.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 murdered my PS3

Release another Dynasty Warriors Gundam Koei :argh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I platted DWG3, DW6E and KR1, those were all real easy

DWG2 though, lmao

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I platted DWG3, DW6E and KR1, those were all real easy

DWG2 though, lmao

I still have bad memories of Knight Gundam, gently caress you Knight Gundam.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ybrik posted:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 murdered my PS3

On Xbox, I got every achievement except the online-only ones. My partner, to this day, is genuinely triggered by the Mission Select theme.

e: Come to think of it, Optic Line from Orochi 1/2 is also ruined for them lmao

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 7, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iqaZoiL1as

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If I have no care about the Persona series at all but I like murdering stuff, is P5 Strikers worth it at half price (per the Humble Bundle Sega Sale)?

I have no interest in the Fate games/series but I enjoyed Fate/Extella Link enough to complete the story lines and enjoy all the different characters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Morter posted:

If I have no care about the Persona series at all but I like murdering stuff, is P5 Strikers worth it at half price (per the Humble Bundle Sega Sale)?

I have no interest in the Fate games/series but I enjoyed Fate/Extella Link enough to complete the story lines and enjoy all the different characters.

How would you feel about a "musou" game where all the action takes place in enclosed series of rooms instead of an open map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Strikers is really designed more as an action game with musou elements than a traditional musou. Actual boss fights are a major part, boss fights with phases and everything. I think it was originally going to be a more traditional style and have more characters from the other games but in the end decided to make it "Persona 5-2 but as an action game instead of a JRPG"