Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Only bad thing about that, really, is the HIERBIE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Captain Trips posted:

No pic because I was driving, but I see it on a weekly basis anyway: every person who paints a VW Bug like Herbie should be shot in the face and dragged behind their vehicle as it's driven off a cliff.

As a fan of the 1968 Dodge Charger, I am behind you 100%, minus the cliff part, as that would hurt the car. (Yes, the General Lee was a 69, but that doesn't stop anyone from making the 68 into it as well)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Saw this at the supermarket:

Something is off here. It has a sliding rag and proper bumpers. Can't see the lug pattern, but it has big windows which means that it is at least 64. No indicators so that doesn't help. No chrome trim or emblem on the hood so that doesn't help. The fenders appear to be sealed beam with bumper cut outs, so 67 fenders. It has fat chick mirrors and antenna. I can't tell for sure but it also appears to be a short hood. But at least it isn't a super beetle. It also has thin chrome trim.

Moral of the story, don't make fat chicks into Herbie.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought the super beetle was the "fat chick."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

veedubfreak posted:

Something is off here. It has a sliding rag and proper bumpers. Can't see the lug pattern, but it has big windows which means that it is at least 64. No indicators so that doesn't help. No chrome trim or emblem on the hood so that doesn't help. The fenders appear to be sealed beam with bumper cut outs, so 67 fenders. It has fat chick mirrors and antenna. I can't tell for sure but it also appears to be a short hood. But at least it isn't a super beetle. It also has thin chrome trim.

Moral of the story, don't make fat chicks into Herbie.

Is it a beetle? Yes. That's all anyone cares about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Is it a beetle? Yes. That's all anyone cares about.

Normal people, yep.

Vintage car nerds? They define their existence by nitpicking restoration accuracy. If you use the wrong brand of blinker fluid you will never hear the end of it.

I imagine that dude's build thread was not fun, they show up with a stack of pictures showing off their pride and joy and slowly lose the will to live as it gets torn to shreds. After about a week they turn to belligerence, a lot of "shut up I'm doing it my way" type posts. The abuses continues until they disappear entirely and never post again.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Normal people, yep.

Vintage car nerds? They define their existence by nitpicking restoration accuracy. If you use the wrong brand of blinker fluid you will never hear the end of it.

I imagine that dude's build thread was not fun, they show up with a stack of pictures showing off their pride and joy and slowly lose the will to live as it gets torn to shreds. After about a week they turn to belligerence, a lot of "shut up I'm doing it my way" type posts. The abuses continues until they disappear entirely and never post again.

God I hate these people. "Hey, that inspection paint mark is supposed to be pink. You hosed this thing all up." It kind of bums me out that I won't be able to throw my :siren:factory incorrect:siren: Nova in people's faces because nobody gives a gently caress about the sedans.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Which is why I will never own a "show car". But Herbie is a special kind of stupid.

Also, fat chick = 68+. Supers are just uhm, old vws, I have no love for supers. They make the best racers/bajas though due to the suspension.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I thought the point of Baja bugs was you wanted the torsion bar suspension so you didn't have to swap springs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Factory orange peel, in the loving commercial even? No problem!

Good job Chrysler :cripes:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

veedubfreak posted:

I'm personally a fan of the idiots who don't use the proper car.

AFewBricksShy posted:

As a fan of the 1968 Dodge Charger, I am behind you 100%, minus the cliff part, as that would hurt the car. (Yes, the General Lee was a 69, but that doesn't stop anyone from making the 68 into it as well)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Is it bad that I can do a bit better than that with a rattlecan on my back porch?

There's a little orange peel in it, but that's only the first coat of clear; I still need to wetsand it and throw on a few more coats, then do the final buffing and polishing, so it should look decent when done.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

some texas redneck posted:

Go look at any BMW made in like the past 10 years in the showroom.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Thanks Ford for putting the single cup holder in this car in a position which is a/ blocked by the dashboard and b/ makes it impossible to shift into first without hitting the drink

Pretty hard to see from my terrible photo, but the cup really doesn't fit properly between the shifter and dash

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Well, it's no BMW

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wallaka posted:

Well, it's no BMW

The bmw cup holders are the standard I hold other cars to.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

A hip flask might fit alright so just take to drinking whiskey whilst driving about

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The ones on my Vic are just as obnoxious. You have to slide a little tray out from underneath the HVAC controls, which isn't so bad. The annoying part comes up when you actually put something in said cupholders, because then the HVAC controls become completely inaccessible :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dissss posted:

Thanks Ford for putting the single cup holder in this car in a position which is a/ blocked by the dashboard and b/ makes it impossible to shift into first without hitting the drink

Pretty hard to see from my terrible photo, but the cup really doesn't fit properly between the shifter and dash

My old Cavalier had them in the same spot. I could shift fine if I didn't put anything too tall in there, but it would block the HVAC controls. I ended up keeping bottles in the right cup holder only, which blocked the temperature control, so I could at least turn the system on and off with no trouble.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I Stole it from Imgur...

That car has one of the biggest spoilers I've ever seen!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

dissss posted:

My 2000 is no better. Cupholder is right behind the shifter so anything taller than a soda can gets in the way of second and fourth. :bravo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Yaris has a genius solution.. right by the rear of the dash up against the doors. When empty they fold away and look pretty normal, then you tap it and presto, instant cup holder for your 100oz super duper gulp.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
You people and your fancy cupholders. I got none in my 82 Volvo. All I got is a little indent inside the glovebox lid. Everytime I go through the drivethrough, I have to ask for a drink carrier and just place it on the passengers seat.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 10, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

T1g4h posted:

The ones on my Vic are just as obnoxious. You have to slide a little tray out from underneath the HVAC controls, which isn't so bad. The annoying part comes up when you actually put something in said cupholders, because then the HVAC controls become completely inaccessible :psyduck:

Look at Mr Fancy over here with his late-model upgrades like "cup holders".

I'm thinking I'll buy one of those things that sits on the transmission hump. I had forgotten my childhood of holding the soda between your legs and hoping it doesn't spill... How did we even survive?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm thinking I'll buy one of those things that sits on the transmission hump. I had forgotten my childhood of holding the soda between your legs and hoping it doesn't spill... How did we even survive?

I'm surprised you're not getting dogpiled for even insinuating a convenience item in your car would have been nice. People in the mechanical failures thread are foaming mad about blind spot indicators and rear view cameras.

:911::911: :911::911:
If you want to have more comfort than an ox cart with a 500hp boosted engine, you're obviously a sissy that shouldn't even be on the road, with your nanny aids like mirrors.
:911::911: :911::911:

That is my terrible car stuff story.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My Volvo 940 didn't have cupholders in TYOOL 1994. I had to swap in an armrest from a 960 and now I can't use the parking brake if I've got a drink in.

Solar Coaster posted:

You people and your fancy cupholders. I got none in my 82 Volvo. All I got is a little indent inside the glovebox lid. Everytime I go through the drivethrough, I have to ask for a drink carrier and just place it on the passengers seat.

the armrest with cupholder is a rare and valued upgrade among volvo 240 owners.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wasabi the J posted:

I Stole it from Imgur...

It's an older joke but it checks out

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

:shepicide:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

T1g4h posted:

Ford can be weird about cup holders. This was the set up in my old 1990 Taurus:

Good luck using the radio with that drink in there. My Focus has decent cup holders, but they're two different sizes, so if I have a can of soda, I can only use one of the holders. The other one is too big for a can so if I move an empty one there or if god forbid a passenger wants to drink a soda too, it rattles/sloshes around.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Look at Mr Fancy over here with his late-model upgrades like "cup holders".

I remember buying one of those things and/or window-hanging cup holders for each of my first three cars. Progress is a wonderful thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

JaysonAych posted:

Ford can be weird about cup holders. This was the set up in my old 1990 Taurus:

Good luck using the radio with that drink in there. My Focus has decent cup holders, but they're two different sizes, so if I have a can of soda, I can only use one of the holders. The other one is too big for a can so if I move an empty one there or if god forbid a passenger wants to drink a soda too, it rattles/sloshes around.

My dad's old Ram had a similar setup (extra large for Big Gulps... a year before they downsized the cup bases to fit in normal cupholders :v:), except they were above the radio, which is an excellent arrangement when you add up tall cups, rough/unpaved roads, and 90s pickup truck ride quality; the factory radio eventually died to an iced tea spill (wasn't completely dead, but had a short so it drained power with the truck off).

E: Now with image! (he must have had a higher stereo trim, his EQ had 5 sliders instead of 2 iirc, but you get the idea)

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 11, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QUOTE IS NOT EDIT 5 YEARS HERE gently caress DAMMIT

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Uthor posted:

My old Cavalier had them in the same spot. I could shift fine if I didn't put anything too tall in there, but it would block the HVAC controls. I ended up keeping bottles in the right cup holder only, which blocked the temperature control, so I could at least turn the system on and off with no trouble.

Good to know GM hasn't learned any lessons!

Oddly, they also put 2 in the back seat. The back seat has comically little leg room in the coupe version; I can't sit back there, and I'm only 5'7 or 5'8.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
This is more WTF than anything but still

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

I Stole it from Imgur...

Also a Freemason's badge. :tinfoil:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Das Volk posted:

What are we supposed to be seeing?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've been meaning to ask, what the gently caress DOES "illest" mean?

Is it a claim to having the biggest mental illness of all their friends?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Illest makes doucheclothes.

Das Volk posted:

Rear wiper too big?

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Ferremit posted:

aka "fatlace," a brand of clothing marketed sort of alongside the hellaflush/fitment thing.

if you see 1 or more of these stickers on a car, it's a sign that that car currently has or will soon have a deliberately destroyed suspension in order to make gigantic wheels and rubber band tires fit. Done properly, the wheels will fill the entire wheel wells. At the expense of braking, cornering, accelerating, and don't even try taking one over a speed bump or entering a pitched driveway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ferremit posted:

it's basically a variation of sick, ie 'those are sick rims brah', only instead of sick, ill. So the sickest rims would be the illest, brah, and the sickest VW piece of poo poo would be the illest, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Linedance posted:

it's basically a variation of sick, ie 'those are sick rims brah', only instead of sick, ill. So the sickest rims would be the illest, brah, and the sickest VW piece of poo poo would be the illest, yo.

I'm pretty sure ill was around way before sick in this context.

The Beastie Boys album Licensed to Ill came out in 1986 when ill was already well established slang. I don't remember sick being used in the same way until the extreme sports craze of the late 90s.