Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Quite the slice of humanity flying phl-mco.

:negative:

MCO is home for me. I deal with it coming from anywhere. Also, I’m originally from the Philly area, so I can picture the crowd you’re referencing :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

Quite the slice of humanity flying phl-mco.

:negative:

Good to know some traditions have survived the pandemic.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Another city, another absurd rental delay, this time with Enterprise. I guess one hour is better than the two hours Thrifty needed to get my car ready in ATL but if every rental company is going to have these delays it's going to make flying and working the same day impossible.

Apparently it's more about staffing than cars. At COS they had a parking lot of cars but they were returned cars that needed to be washed. They were running cars up to customers as soon as they were washed and then grabbing a car and taking it to get cleaned.

Is there any company not totally hosed right now? If Enterprise/National can't even get it together that doesn't bode well for the rest of these poo poo companies.

I've got a trip to Orlando in early June where I need to get a half day of work in on arrival. I feel like Orlando is the kind of place that will be the biggest poo poo show of all.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Kase Im Licht posted:

Is there any company not totally hosed right now? If Enterprise/National can't even get it together that doesn't bode well for the rest of these poo poo companies.

From what I've seen, every company is some level of hosed at the moment but the ones with the bigger pools of cars (i.e. Enterprise/National, Hertz) are the least hosed.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Kase Im Licht posted:

Another city, another absurd rental delay, this time with Enterprise. I guess one hour is better than the two hours Thrifty needed to get my car ready in ATL but if every rental company is going to have these delays it's going to make flying and working the same day impossible.

Apparently it's more about staffing than cars. At COS they had a parking lot of cars but they were returned cars that needed to be washed. They were running cars up to customers as soon as they were washed and then grabbing a car and taking it to get cleaned.

I've got a trip to Orlando in early June where I need to get a half day of work in on arrival. I feel like Orlando is the kind of place that will be the biggest poo poo show of all.

I live in Orlando and rent from there for work frequently, once every other week or so since January. I've not had an issue with getting a car from either Hertz or National at MCO. You should be good.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Business travel is definitely picking up, but slowly. Leisure travel, on the other hand, is full speed ahead. Flights and airports have been packed.

Delta Sky Clubs have been really good by the way. It's either pretty extensive hot food (JFK) or a ton of takeaway options (SLC) because they're not serving hot meals in flights. It's way, way better than anything UA and AA are offering right now.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I can’t remember if we have a good credit card thread, but I figure this group would have a good opinion on this too. I’m leaving my current company at the end of the week, and when they cancel my corporate card I’ll lose my Amex points so trying to figure out what to do with them. I have a personal Amex (can I transfer to that membership rewards account?), but trying to identify the best other transfer partner for someone who is a Delta/Marriott loyalist. Virgin Atlantic is looking the best so far…

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
booked my first business trip in over a year.

feels good

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I can’t remember if we have a good credit card thread, but I figure this group would have a good opinion on this too. I’m leaving my current company at the end of the week, and when they cancel my corporate card I’ll lose my Amex points so trying to figure out what to do with them. I have a personal Amex (can I transfer to that membership rewards account?), but trying to identify the best other transfer partner for someone who is a Delta/Marriott loyalist. Virgin Atlantic is looking the best so far…

In my (limited) experience, if the corporate card allows you to earn points, you can and should be accruing them in your own MR account rather than a separate one tied to that specific card. Some companies setup separate accounts to use those points themselves, so it depends on what you have setup. If you absolutely have to get the points out of the existing MR account, I'd probably vote FlyingBlue over Virgin, more options to more places.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

In my (limited) experience, if the corporate card allows you to earn points, you can and should be accruing them in your own MR account rather than a separate one tied to that specific card. Some companies setup separate accounts to use those points themselves, so it depends on what you have setup. If you absolutely have to get the points out of the existing MR account, I'd probably vote FlyingBlue over Virgin, more options to more places.

I have my on MR account tied to my individual corporate card but was told the points I have will go poof when they cancel the card.

Will take a look at FlyingBlue too thanks!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I got my points on my Corp Amex converted to skymiles before they poofed

asur
Dec 28, 2012

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I have my on MR account tied to my individual corporate card but was told the points I have will go poof when they cancel the card.

Maybe ask them again? The points normally only vanish if you go to zero MR cards.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

That should only happen if you have no other MR-earning AMEX cards.

And enjoy learning about FlyingPoo; they're poo poo!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
The LA Quinta in town wants $260 a night.

What in the world is going on?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

sparkmaster posted:

The LA Quinta in town wants $260 a night.

What in the world is going on?

I routinely stayed at lovely La Quintas in West Texas during the early 2010s oil boom for like $350+ a night. The sulphur smelling shower came at no added cost

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

domestic travel is on fire right now!!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I just got an Amex platinum and was looking forward to using the centurion lounge at ORD, because of course ORD will have one! :wrong: Oh well, it’ll still come in handy at regular flights at MIA, CLT, PHL and DFW.

An FA spoke to me over the weekend when my wife and I had flown to Ohio to see her family. She noted I was an EXP and was asking about whether I’m going to be traveling more now. I told her yes and she was happy, said she wants business travel to come back.

I’m seeing newer cars at hertz locations now. Not all of them, but at CLE, I had my pick of brand new Buick encores and at MCO, I could choose between brand new Mazda CX5s. It appears that they’re trying to work on getting new vehicles.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Apparently AMEX will be increasing the annual spend requirement to 75k for getting guests in to Centurion lounges, starting in 2023.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Apparently AMEX will be increasing the annual spend requirement to 75k for getting guests in to Centurion lounges, starting in 2023.

This rules

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sellouts posted:

This rules

I believe you can also pay $50.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Oh duh it’s guests. That’s not as cool. But still, hopefully that reduces traffic.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 3, 2021

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AA status help for 2021:

American makes it easier to earn status, extends loyalty benefits

Basically, they’re giving EQDs based on your current status, bonus EQMs on flights based on current status and an option to purchase 10k EQMs for $495.

I had been worried about requalifying as EXP, but this ought to make it easier!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I can't believe they are bringing this back, there's no way this is going to be economical.

https://twitter.com/boomaero/status/1400406948546220036?s=20

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
united trying to get some form of positive hype/press

airplane thread is convinced, pretty compellingly, that Boom is total vaporware poo poo

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

airplane thread is convinced, pretty compellingly, that Boom is total vaporware poo poo

I would agree with them. No way in hell that flies, much less with passengers, and even less chance of it being in 2029.

Also what airplane thread? If there's one I haven't found, I've got a new place to waste time.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 4, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there's one in AI and one in TFR

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's one in AI and one in TFR

Hot drat. :tipshat:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cacafuego posted:

AA status help for 2021:

American makes it easier to earn status, extends loyalty benefits

Basically, they’re giving EQDs based on your current status, bonus EQMs on flights based on current status and an option to purchase 10k EQMs for $495.

I had been worried about requalifying as EXP, but this ought to make it easier!

Hell yeah, my SWUs are being extended.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

And even if it’s somehow not, does the demand really exist?

Concorde was tiny inside. Supersonic travel sounds great, but when the comparison is “3.5 hours in the world’s fastest, nicest CRJ” versus “7 hours in A350/787 business class with inflight wifi,” and Zoom works just fine for important but not critical meetings, all of a sudden the slower plane starts looking like it might be an OK choice after all.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Space Gopher posted:

Concorde was tiny inside. Supersonic travel sounds great, but when the comparison is “3.5 hours in the world’s fastest, nicest CRJ” versus “7 hours in A350/787 business class with inflight wifi,” and Zoom works just fine for important but not critical meetings, all of a sudden the slower plane starts looking like it might be an OK choice after all.

I feel the opposite. What's so much better about a little more space or whatever else that you're willing to take a flight that's twice as long?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Barry posted:

I feel the opposite. What's so much better about a little more space or whatever else that you're willing to take a flight that's twice as long?

Same.

IIRC tickets we on par with first class on regular planes of the time. So why not cut that time in half if you were already going first class.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Space Gopher posted:

You have been in aircraft where the wifi works well enough for even the most basic audio conference? Can't say I've ever experienced that, and I used to fly a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inner Light posted:

You have been in aircraft where the wifi works well enough for even the most basic audio conference? Can't say I've ever experienced that, and I used to fly a lot.

I think he's saying VTCs eliminate the need for a lot of travel.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree. Especially with inflight wi-fi, people are no longer losing that much productivity. Would make no sense to pay more, compromise on comfort, just to shave your journey by some hours.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

i fly airplanes posted:

I agree. Especially with inflight wi-fi, people are no longer losing that much productivity. Would make no sense to pay more, compromise on comfort, just to shave your journey by some hours.

Excuse me, but I assume you fly airplanes. This is your workspace.

Other people don't. And sitting in steerage is not a good work environment even with your lovely dial-up speed internet for most of us who aren't paid to fly the plane we are stuck in.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This jet won’t ever happen but lmao if 3-8 hours difference isn’t a serious consideration amongst people with means and companies with massive profits.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

let this mythical jet fly supersonic over land you cowards

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ended up taking the JNB-CDG-LAX-SEA route back. AF 773 for JNB-CDG — I am pleasantly surprised by the cabin. Really nice product even in economy comfort. Let’s see how the next 36 hours go...

Wish my GUCs had cleared for AF because La Premiere looks siiiiiick.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Barry posted:

That's great. If I had the option I'd fly supersonic too, because gently caress yeah, it's supersonic. But the problem here is the total demand, not what you and I would choose to do.

Concorde barely came out net positive on a tiny handful of routes in the late 90s and very early 2000s, presumably after the planes were fully depreciated. One of the key problems was always the slower-but-nicer competition.

Subsonic planes have gotten both nicer and more efficient, you can usually still get your email and chat on an intercontinental flight these days rather than being totally incommunicado, and while videoconferencing is never going to replace being there in person for some meetings, it's able to replace at least some of the must-be-in-person-ASAP stuff from 1996 or whatever.

Even if Boom pulls a fully functional Concorde 2.0 out of a hat, if the demand for Concorde was always marginal, the planes couldn't ever really justify the capex to buy them, and the factors driving that demand have dropped, then how is a new supersonic-plane product going to make business sense?

sellouts posted:

This jet won’t ever happen but lmao if 3-8 hours difference isn’t a serious consideration amongst people with means and companies with massive profits.

Sure, but if it's a real gotta-go-fast, cost-is-no-object thing then they'll just charter anyway. A plane that works exactly on your schedule, can go just about anywhere in the world without refueling (not something Boom is even claiming for their fantasy-jet), and that goes through small airports with effectively no ground traffic, security, or even customs and immigration to worry about, is going to be faster in a door-to-door sense than a supersonic commercial flight where you have to wait for all the pathetic double-digit millionaires to get on the plane before you take off.

And, more importantly, even if charters didn't exist it'd be hard to sustain a plutocrats-only class of supersonic service. They've got a lot of money, but there aren't a lot of them, and an individual human can only consume so many plane tickets. Anyone selling a supersonic plane can't even do the regular luxury-goods trick of "selling to ultra-high-net-worth clients is a marketing expense, 99% of our volume is selling $5 trinkets with our brand on them for $250."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

Even if Boom pulls a fully functional Concorde 2.0 out of a hat, if the demand for Concorde was always marginal, the planes couldn't ever really justify the capex to buy them, and the factors driving that demand have dropped, then how is a new supersonic-plane product going to make business sense?

The investor story time around this is "reduced cost to operate" and "increased route availability." The first is the same old bullshit that never comes to fruition but everybody is already pot committed so you just keep going. The second is going to be a lot harder. Supposedly one of these companies is starting testing over some cities in the midwest in a plane that has a reduced/modified sonic boom signature. The FAA is supposed to be conducting this and surveying residents to see if this is something they can allow over CONUS or at least certain flight paths over CONUS.

I'm sure we all know the likelihood of any of this working out.