Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

fatherboxx posted:

You are talking about an anime game titty

You're right you've completely convinced me. The japanese should also go back to dumbing down games for americans like in the SNES days too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

People pre-complaining about conversations Liam might have is annoying but you are worse

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mesothelioma posted:

You're right you've completely convinced me. The japanese should also go back to dumbing down games for americans like in the SNES days too.

good thing the world isn't completely black and white

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Are we sure Liam doesn't have an account here.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
So, what's exactly wrong for sticking up for artists' vision? I genuinely want to know why you guys feel this way.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Mesothelioma posted:

So, what's exactly wrong for sticking up for artists' vision? I genuinely want to know why you guys feel this way.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pat and Liam's point, at least about the SF5 thing is "No don't change it because we've already seen one version we know what it was suppose to be!" not that the changes had anything to do with artistic intention or why the changes happened/were happening. Liam literally said "Don't change it once you've shown one version of it" which is a really loving stupid point to make, not even talking about censorship or anything like that, especially when it's in a game that's still, at least in the words of it's developers, still in development. It's the same thing like complaining that the character design isn't 100% like what the concept art you were previously shown looks like. poo poo changes in both artistic endeavors and in commercial productions as they're being made, it's both the creative process and how loving marketing/commercial design works. It has nothing to do with censorship, at least in the way you're using the word.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

This thread's gotten awfully circejerky lately.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

PiedPiper posted:

This thread's gotten awfully circejerky lately.

Because it's fully transitioned into just being a second Giant Bomb thread

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
I think a developer making changes to a game in development and a localization team making changes to a game they are localizing are different things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5TrpjRS2k

Well now that I've seen the game before they added in textures and faces and animations to people I hate the finished product. They should've gone back to everyone T-posing now that I've seen the early incarnation of what the game should've been.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I have seen the indian titty and the titty was denied to me, such is the dark reality of creativity in modern era

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
On one hand, Liam's argument about censorship is dumb and doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, reductio ad absurdum like this:

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5TrpjRS2k

Well now that I've seen the game before they added in textures and faces and animations to people I hate the finished product. They should've gone back to everyone T-posing now that I've seen the early incarnation of what the game should've been.

are also dumb and don't make much sense. On the third hand that I just pulled out of my rear end, this entire argument about the argument is dumb and doesn't make much sense.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
I really think it goes by a case-by-case basis. I think the changes in SFV are stupid and annoying, it literally LOOKS WORSE/awkward now. But the changes in Xenoblade I think, are for the better. The 13 year old girl character is no longer wearing almost nothing, but now she's got these shorts and some armor, which actually makes more sense, and is at least APPROACHING something a 13 year old fantasy character might wear.

Likewise, I think the outfit changes in FFV are fine, I think the Samus/Zelda costumes are way cooler than the generic bikinis, plus all those girls have lots of revealing unlockable costumes already. We got a better deal on these shores.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheRealestMatt posted:

I really think it goes by a case-by-case basis. I think the changes in SFV are stupid and annoying, it literally LOOKS WORSE/awkward now. But the changes in Xenoblade I think, are for the better. The 13 year old girl character is no longer wearing almost nothing, but now she's got these shorts and some armor, which actually makes more sense, and is at least APPROACHING something a 13 year old fantasy character might wear.

Likewise, I think the outfit changes in FFV are fine, I think the Samus/Zelda costumes are way cooler than the generic bikinis, plus all those girls have lots of revealing unlockable costumes already. We got a better deal on these shores.

i support any change that causes teenage characters to become more clothed

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I act towards "censored" content much like I act towards "taboo" jokes: I'm fine with it as long as it's not punching downwards, both in terms of social awareness or respect for the audience's intelligence. So all of the cases you mentioned are okay in my book, even if the end-result looks awkward like the SFV one, because gently caress Japan's obssession with lolis and fanservice, it's creepy as gently caress. They are also minor changes with no impact on the character's base design, gameplay or plot, and not meant to simplify or "dumb down" any aspect of the game, so people getting peeved about it just doesn't make sense to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like censorship of skimpy clothing on teens and stuff like that because it paints a good picture of developers who aren't honest enough with themselves to admit that the gross stuff is inappropriate for anybody regardless of culture, but at the same time are just barely honest enough to admit it might weird out people who already look down on it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Mesothelioma posted:

Way to strawman, miss the original point, and be outstandingly obnoxious about it. Coming from a thread that complains about Pat, you sure take on a lot his negative aspects.

Look, all i'm saying in an ideal world an artist shouldn't have to sacrifice his vision for any reason. Why are you guys so against that? Do you like people loving with a creative vision? I for one don't. If you disagree, that's fine but I don't get the hostility from you about this subject at all.

If your creative vision is you get a big chub from sexy little girls in bikinis then yes i like it very much if your creative vision gets hosed with. Hth

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

I like censorship of skimpy clothing on teens and stuff like that because it paints a good picture of developers who aren't honest enough with themselves to admit that the gross stuff is inappropriate for anybody regardless of culture, but at the same time are just barely honest enough to admit it might weird out people who already look down on it.

You know, this kinda cuts into Liam's point about censorship. People think it's just the object retention of a newborn rearing its head, but it's more about going back on the original intention because of outside pressure (or fear of outside pressure) - which is pretty much why these things happen, really, since developers don't give a gently caress. I just think it's dumb to believe developers can't question their own decisions in hindsight after getting feedback, as long as they're not "punching down" as I mentioned before.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mesothelioma posted:

Liam, you're being devils advocado just to be devil avocets again

Also, Japanese games do get dumbed down. Like, frequently.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Gonna guess that there's gonna be way more wringing of hands, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in the last couple of pages than there will be in the next two podcasts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mostly because Matt is back. Liam unfiltered leads to dumb 20 minute conversations about not understanding irrational stuff.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Also, since they didn't go on the walk, here's what happens if you walk back to the first room in the game: VIDEO REMOVED

Spoilers obviously.

Yeah no loving poo poo, thanks for embedding a video with a spoiler in the preview picture.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Yeah no loving poo poo, thanks for embedding a video with a spoiler in the preview picture.
If you're worried about spoilers in a videogame, going to the thread dedicated to a Youtube channel that just played said videogame through to the ending is probably not the absolute smartest possible decision to make.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Kins posted:

If you're worried about spoilers in a videogame, going to the thread dedicated to a Youtube channel that just played said videogame through to the ending is probably not the absolute smartest possible decision to make.

Yeah, I mean, the last video is out, this thread doesn't need to give a gently caress about spoilers for Neutral or True Pacifist.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's not even censorship. It's two completely different characters goddamn :psyduck:

We haven't seen if the Asterisk holder is now a cowgirl or what, but the characters new costume literally just adds a hat. That's it. Did people even play Bravely Default? Your characters wear goofy poo poo that's themed after the * bosses. The one in the middle is what one of the characters (who's white anyway) would wear as it's styled after the girl on the left, far right they just add a hat, she's still in a bikini or whatever. Holy poo poo this is dumb.

Also the term localization has entirely lost all meaning. A company changing poo poo like Xenoblades 10 year old or whatever for the states makes sense because that would never fly over here and Nintendo probably wouldn't push it all that hard if that didn't stay changed because some of the stuff in there is gross. Yelling censorship over that is stupid.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

The Kins posted:

Really? The final video was uploaded six hours ago when I was asleep. How about giving people who aren't able to dedicate their lives to LPs the minute they're released a chance to see poo poo in-game first? But hey, if it's open season for spoilers as soon as the video containing that spoiler is up, fine.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Really? The final video was uploaded six hours ago when I was asleep. How about giving people who aren't able to dedicate their lives to LPs the minute they're released a chance to see poo poo in-game first? But hey, if it's open season for spoilers as soon as the video containing that spoiler is up, fine.
...you could check Youtube before checking the thread? S'what I do.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Foxhound posted:

Eh, there were a handful of posts basically saying HEY UNDERTALE IS DONE before that one, after I see something like that I just avoid the thread until I've caught up. Also, why I don't leave embedding on for YT videos, hehe.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

The Kins posted:

...you could check Youtube before checking the thread? S'what I do.

I do and I did. And I thought "Nice, I'll be able to watch the ending when I get back from work tonight, sure hope there aren't any untagged spoiooops."

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

you should probably spoiler that vid(video) imho(in my hopinion)

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Mesothelioma posted:

Do you like people loving with a creative vision?

Yes, because this is literally part of my job. I do art/illustrations for stuff, so lemme fill you in a bit on how it goes. I will go through dozens upon dozens of character art for my director/producer, and through every round of characters, we pick out what the best designs for both thematic and marketing purposes. I'm going to assume this is quite similar to many other creative people in non-fine-arts industries. Every character design you see in a game has probably gone through multiple iterations, dozens if not hundreds depending on the scope of the game. It's all fine and dandy to stick up for people like me when you go "But, the creative vision!" but when the reality is that the 'creative vision' was curated from pretty much the beginning, it rings incredibly futile and hallow.

It's fantastic when dudes like o_8 can get drat near every design of his into the game, but even then there is poo poo left on the cutting-room floor. Slapping a cowboy hat and a pair of pants on a character is just another iteration. It's all just visuals. I'm almost positive the original artist has gone through so many different versions of that character that he/she either doesn't care much at that point, or (what the reality ends up being most of the time) the hat-and-pants idea was an earlier design than the one Japan gets in the end.

Like, yeah, 'censoring', whatever. People's opinions if they like the designs or not are totally still valid - the people who make the final decisions usually gently caress up on their end and leave tons of perfectly stellar designs behind. And, again, it's awesome that people stick up for the art people in the industry. But, for poo poo's sake, don't be bringing "The artist's vision!" into it. That has nothing to do with it because the artist ends up so far removed from the final design in the end regardless.

Ugh, gently caress, sorry for the effortpost. Just really rustles my jimmies when people use that argument, Liam included.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Kins posted:

No that's a stupid as gently caress argument and it's not surprising you're making it

Not everyone is watching every LP the moment it goes up and just because they finished a two month old game doesn't mean it's cool to embed spoilery videos or images all of a sudden. Just tag endgame stuff anyways, it's super not difficult and is basic common courtesy. Maybe hit preview to see what the embed thumbnail is and then url link it instead of embed it if it's a spoilery thumbnail! That takes seconds and is a nice thing to do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Not everyone is watching every LP the moment it goes up
I know I don't. I also don't go into this thread until I do. Not out of fear of game spoilers (because game stories are game stories and it's more about the journey than etc. etc.), but out of fear of ruining jokes for myself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If someone's not watching a given LP that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to read a thread because people are suddenly posting untagged endgame spoilers.

Like do you understand what I'm saying? Saying it's his own fault is really lovely dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

If someone's not watching a given LP that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to read a thread because people are suddenly posting untagged endgame spoilers.

Like do you understand what I'm saying? Saying it's his own fault is really lovely dude.

please don't blame the spoiler victim

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pulp rag posted:

Yes, because this is literally part of my job. I do art/illustrations for stuff, so lemme fill you in a bit on how it goes. I will go through dozens upon dozens of character art for my director/producer, and through every round of characters, we pick out what the best designs for both thematic and marketing purposes. I'm going to assume this is quite similar to many other creative people in non-fine-arts industries. Every character design you see in a game has probably gone through multiple iterations, dozens if not hundreds depending on the scope of the game. It's all fine and dandy to stick up for people like me when you go "But, the creative vision!" but when the reality is that the 'creative vision' was curated from pretty much the beginning, it rings incredibly futile and hallow.

It's fantastic when dudes like o_8 can get drat near every design of his into the game, but even then there is poo poo left on the cutting-room floor. Slapping a cowboy hat and a pair of pants on a character is just another iteration. It's all just visuals. I'm almost positive the original artist has gone through so many different versions of that character that he/she either doesn't care much at that point, or (what the reality ends up being most of the time) the hat-and-pants idea was an earlier design than the one Japan gets in the end.

Like, yeah, 'censoring', whatever. People's opinions if they like the designs or not are totally still valid - the people who make the final decisions usually gently caress up on their end and leave tons of perfectly stellar designs behind. And, again, it's awesome that people stick up for the art people in the industry. But, for poo poo's sake, don't be bringing "The artist's vision!" into it. That has nothing to do with it because the artist ends up so far removed from the final design in the end regardless.

Ugh, gently caress, sorry for the effortpost. Just really rustles my jimmies when people use that argument, Liam included.

I like this post

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

please don't blame the spoiler victim
Don't be a poo poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

pulp rag posted:

You should email this into the podcast.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I will pay you 5 dollars if you email that and it gets read, no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't be a poo poo

I'm puppetmastering you, dude.

Anyway, spoiler tag poo poo for common courtesy, don't enter a thread that has started debating the end of a game if you're afraid of spoilers AND you had forewarning, everyone is a poo poo, this thread moves on.