Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like the venerable 4s is finally getting cut off from iOS updates this fall. That was a pretty impressive run.. it came out in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Does basically not being excited about any of these new iMessage features make me an old fart?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fourwood posted:

Does basically not being excited about any of these new iMessage features make me an old fart?

Maybe? I mean some of the stuff sounds cool I guess but I doubt I'll use most of it. I mean I mostly use emojis sarcastically at this point anyway.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Why are they giant'ing emoji's? Ugh :smith:

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

fourwood posted:

All I wanted was iMessage for Android. :( I was really, really hoping for it. But I guess the reason I was hoping for it in the first place is the reason it'll never really happen: I wanted iMessage for Android so I could ditch the iPhone. Apple knows it's a big selling point for their hardware, I guess.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How will this imessage bullshit work for the variety of smartphones out there? Will it be backwards compatible with old iOS? What happens if you try and encode messages, like that drawing poo poo or sparkle poo poo, to android numbers? I guess they'll only allow it for iMessage chats.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Vanellope posted:

Apple knows it's a big selling point for their hardware, I guess.
Is it, though? Doesn't everyone just use cross-platform messaging apps like Messenger or WhatsApp? Even if it became cross-platform, I wouldn't expect to see many of my friends make the switch to iMessage.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it, though? Doesn't everyone just use cross-platform messaging apps like Messenger or WhatsApp? Even if it became cross-platform, I wouldn't expect to see many of my friends make the switch to iMessage.
"Everyone"? No. Different people use different messaging platforms :eek:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
My social circle of 20-something millenials uses texting mostly. Facebook is un-cool at this point and most young Americans including my group barely know what WhatsApp is. GroupMe is bigger than WhatsApp for what it's worth but most people just do group texts.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Bleh Maestro posted:

Why are they giant'ing emoji's? Ugh :smith:

I at least use emojis sometimes, so fine, sure. But I don't care about animated stickers or SWIPE TO REVEAL THE TEXT! or fireworks backgrounds or making my messages shake the screen or...

Craig just really seemed all about this, and the whole time I just wished all that development effort would go somewhere else. I guess they're trying to keep people from switching to WeChat and FB Messenger and the like, but I'm just "ugh".

e: ^^^ Only people with iMessage are worth talking to anyway :colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still have yet to meet a person here in the US that uses WhatsApp. :shrug:

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I have some friends who use whatsapp because they have Android and live in Europe where it's widely used but like 90% of the people I talk to on a daily basis use iMessage. It's great because it handles SMS as well so you don't have to ask anyone to download an app or sign up for a service to talk to you. If you text someone and they don't have iMessage it'll just send an SMS. Everything is in one place and there's absolutely no setup required, it's great.

I don't honestly know anyone in the US who owns an iPhone and prefers whatsapp or any other app over iMessage.

Edit: I guess I just want to use one IM app for everything including SMS but it doesn't look like that'll ever happen.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
My wife dropped her six plus, which was in a case. The screen is now not turning on, but it was buzzing when plugged in (over and over again, like it was constantly being unplugged and plugged back in) and would show up on the computer and let me copy off pictures. If you call the phone, it doesn't go straight to voicemail but the phone doesn't vibrate or ring or anything. I tried hard rebooting it, and today I took it apart, disconnected the display entirely and reconnected it. When I turned it back, nothing. It buzzed a few minutes after I plugged it back in. When my wife moved it to a different charger she said it didn't buzz, but I just walked in and it's doing the "buzz buzz" every 3 seconds or so, just like before

Is this thing dead or is there something I can replace?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The LCD is broken.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fourwood posted:

I'm anti-excited.
Messenger group conversations are practically unreadable now with the GIF keyboards, basketball minigame easter egg and the ever-increasing size of the thumbs up icon.
Not looking toward having the same bullshit in my iMessage safe haven.

Didn't they learn anything from when they added those useless self-destructing audio clips to iMessage that nobody used ever?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I use those all the time?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Still no loving dark mode. Bastards.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I'm anti-excited.
Messenger group conversations are practically unreadable now with the GIF keyboards, basketball minigame easter egg and the ever-increasing size of the thumbs up icon.
Not looking toward having the same bullshit in my iMessage safe haven.

Didn't they learn anything from when they added those useless self-destructing audio clips to iMessage that nobody used ever?

It's crazy that Apple is going to force you to use these things that you don't like.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

The LCD is broken.

Thanks. Needed some reassurance before I dropped like $75 on a hugephone screen.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Something else is probably broken with the charging port if it does the charging buzz every three seconds. But the screen staying black but on and it not being a reconnection is definitely a broken LCD. If you take it to Apple and they replace the LCD and see issues afterwards, they'll replace the phone though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can finally delete my 💩 folder. Best iOS ever.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The beta for iOS 10 has so many design shortcomings it's almost scary. It's beta, so it might change later, but this is something to marvel at.

Look at this, this right here:

This will definitely change later. It's either a bug or something they just have for now. There's no way they launch with this here:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can you explain what I'm looking at because I don't see anything wrong with those pictures?

How does the two languages thing work? Cause it sounds pretty great to not have to switch keyboards anymore for autocorrect to work properly. Does it "just work" or do I need to explicitly set like a primary and secondary language?

Also the tap to replace text with emoji sounds great. Is this a systemwide feature or just an iMessage app feature. Cause emojis are fun and you're 👴 and boring if you don't think so.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

How does the two languages thing work? Cause it sounds pretty great to not have to switch keyboards anymore for autocorrect to work properly. Does it "just work" or do I need to explicitly set like a primary and secondary language?

I want to know this too. Being able to write in two languages without having to switch keyboards is the only reason I use Swiftkey and I'm just ecstatic that the default keyboard will have the same functionality so I can finally uninstall this laggy POS. Would be cooler if it supported more than two languages though. Hopefully in the future.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Looking forward to autocorrect throwing foreign words into my texts! e: Actually I'm genuinely curious how that's going to work.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 14, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fourwood posted:

Looking forward to autocorrect throwing foreign words into my texts! e: Actually I'm genuinely curious how that's going to work.

I'm guessing if you add, for example, English and French as languages, words like 'crisse' will no longer auto-correct, so you can say 'crisse de calice, taber-gently caress!' without worrying to switch to English for the gently caress.

edit: for the duck

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a friend who has a hard-wired 30-pin adapter in her car ('09 Nissan Versa), and just got a newer phone (with Lightning, I think 6, but not positive). She says that the Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter does not play audio (not the documented potential issue of not allowing control, but actually not playing audio), but one that a friend had DOES play audio.

Supposedly, the two adapters appear identical. I can vouch for my direct friend's accuracy (i.e., it's the apple branded adapter), but not her friend's.

Is this a thing? Is there a different adapter she could get that would make it work? I almost think she just has a defective adapter, but wanted to check if there are other possibilities.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Vanellope posted:

I don't honestly know anyone in the US who owns an iPhone and prefers whatsapp or any other app over iMessage.
I think my issue is that of my social group, only like 10% of us use iPhones with the rest on Android so iMessage sees practically no use at all. My point was that even if iMessage became available on Android, I wouldn't expect most people (including outside of the people I know) to use it on non iOS platforms.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Krakkles posted:

I have a friend who has a hard-wired 30-pin adapter in her car ('09 Nissan Versa), and just got a newer phone (with Lightning, I think 6, but not positive). She says that the Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter does not play audio (not the documented potential issue of not allowing control, but actually not playing audio), but one that a friend had DOES play audio.

Supposedly, the two adapters appear identical. I can vouch for my direct friend's accuracy (i.e., it's the apple branded adapter), but not her friend's.

Is this a thing? Is there a different adapter she could get that would make it work? I almost think she just has a defective adapter, but wanted to check if there are other possibilities.

Pretty sure the problem would be it's a cheapo non-Apple adaptor. I have both in my car and see this issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

The beta for iOS 10 has so many design shortcomings it's almost scary. It's beta, so it might change later, but this is something to marvel at.

Look at this, this right here:

This will definitely change later. It's either a bug or something they just have for now. There's no way they launch with this here:

First one looks like contact linking is broken I guess? iOS 9 does the same thing for people not in contacts or without images. Or are you complaining about the look?

Not sure about the second, I have a few guesses but not really sure what you're focusing on.

Krakkles posted:

Any chance she has a knockoff? I think the official one has a DAC to handle the audio, and I wouldn't be surprised if a knockoff looked the same but only supported USB for charging. e;fb

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I think my issue is that of my social group, only like 10% of us use iPhones with the rest on Android so iMessage sees practically no use at all. My point was that even if iMessage became available on Android, I wouldn't expect most people (including outside of the people I know) to use it on non iOS platforms.

I guess it really depends on the group. I don't really know anyone who has an Android phone except for a handful of friends in Europe. I've always preferred Android to iOS, but I'm not going anywhere because of iMessage since it's what virtually all of my friends and family use. That and FaceTime.

I will say though that the responses I saw from Android users online about the possibility of iMessage coming out for Android were almost universally "HELL YEAH" because everyone wants it. I think maybe it's because people just want to use one app for everything, and iMessage handles SMS as well so you can have all your conversations in one place. For some reason Google just won't add SMS support to whatever chat app they have. I think Hangouts had it for a while but they took it out or something?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vanellope posted:

I will say though that the responses I saw from Android users online about the possibility of iMessage coming out for Android were almost universally "HELL YEAH" because everyone wants it. I think maybe it's because people just want to use one app for everything, and iMessage handles SMS as well so you can have all your conversations in one place. For some reason Google just won't add SMS support to whatever chat app they have. I think Hangouts had it for a while but they took it out or something?

Hangouts as an IM service was loving awful anyway, nobody I know on Android uses it apart from one guy. The massive problem with it is that it's not default cos of Android customisation options. He was a real holdout and the reason I had Hangouts on my iPhone. I eventually convinced him to get Facebook Messenger once it started allowing you to just sign up with a phone number

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hangouts as an IM service was loving awful anyway, nobody I know on Android uses it apart from one guy. The massive problem with it is that it's not default cos of Android customisation options. He was a real holdout and the reason I had Hangouts on my iPhone. I eventually convinced him to get Facebook Messenger once it started allowing you to just sign up with a phone number

I wonder if there's some reason Google won't just make something like iMessage for Android. I mean something that handles whatever new protocol they come up with (Allo now?) + SMS? I simply don't understand why they don't do this. If third party devs can make SMS apps why the hell can't Google implement SMS into whatever chat thing they make?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
They probably have good data from Hangouts that people don't use it for texting, and is letting their "market research" conclude that it isn't worth it.

I only know 2 kinds of people that use Hangouts for texting - my dad, and my wife and I for our respective Google Voice accounts, since we're on iOS. And we only use it to receive the occasional text accidentally sent to our GV numbers, never to text out ourselves.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Nothing in those images are broken. They are just very ugly design choices.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I still don't see what the problem is with the lockscreen. It doesn't look any different from iOS 9.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vanellope posted:

I wonder if there's some reason Google won't just make something like iMessage for Android. I mean something that handles whatever new protocol they come up with (Allo now?) + SMS? I simply don't understand why they don't do this. If third party devs can make SMS apps why the hell can't Google implement SMS into whatever chat thing they make?
It's because Google's value comes in having as large a userbase as large as possible, meaning making their services available on any platform worth the time and effort (iOS, Windows, OS X macOS, Android (obviously), maybe Linux), so making an Android-only messaging service wouldn't really be to their benefit. Obviously, people buying Androids is good for Google, but what's also good is having iOS users using Allo and Hangouts and Google Maps and Gmail on their iPhones.

Hangouts *does* have SMS built into it, but it's not well implemented, and *because* it's available on an array of platforms, they can't do like iMessage and just send whichever applies to who you're sending to.

To give an example: if a user doesn't have Hangouts installed on their iPhone, but do have it on their computer, Google has to guess whether to send a Hangout message and not have the person receive it immediately, or send and SMS, which is a difficult problem they "solved" by making the sender decide 100% of the time and keeping separate chats running at the same time, which is inelegant, but does what Google needs it to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

I still don't see what the problem is with the lockscreen. It doesn't look any different from iOS 9.

Must be the existence of the battery percentage on the top bar. Only problem I can spot anyways, surely no one turns that on intentionally.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

In the UK everyone uses whatsapp all the time regardless of platform, and it's a lot better that way.
Probably because when people were first buying their lovely android devices the contracts tended to be much cheaper than iPhones, and often bundled fewer SMS or minutes (250 or 500 pcm) so that incentive grew a userbase. iPhones tended to ship with unlimited SMS, so iMessage was little more than a colour change to your messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I probably use texts and iMessage the least, Messenger is far and away the simplest thing to use. WhatsApp is great for people I don't have on facebook like my supervisors or family groups.