Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I am going to re-recommend the 2015 Moto X Pure. Zippy, decent camera (it's missing OIS but the performance is good enough that it isn't a factor outside pretty quick action shots and cats - I use the Google camera for the tap-to-focus but I would say the Moto camera has slightly better image processing) and sub-$500 total for the 32GB. It also has an SD slot for your animes/kpop/emulator and definitely legally-obtained roms.

About the worst thing I can say about it is that it doesn't have the cutesy android boot screen that marshmallow has by default.

As for the broader picture of Android, I think there's a lot of harm being done by apps like Facebook and their messenger because of how badly they affect system performance. Uninstalling Facebook will almost undoubtedly make any phone seem new again and it sucks that the mobile site is just not quite on par, because it's not exactly an uncommonly-used app for most people. With any luck the OS will start addressing how much of a load apps can place on the system as background services. Facebook is a chief offender, but it isn't limited to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Daily Forecast posted:

edit: also, unrelated question: is it better for a battery long-term to do lots of shorter top-offs or fewer, longer charges? Situation A: at the end of day 1, phone is at 65%, charge it. Situation B: at the end of day 2 off the charger, phone is at like 30%, charge it. Which is 'healthier' for a lithium-ion battery?
Lithium cells are happiest being at nearly full charge but not held there for long periods. Also the lower the discharge depth, the better - a cell that is only ever discharged to 50% will have significantly more than twice the number of charge cycles than one that's discharged to 0%. There's a logarithmic relationship between depth of discharge and number of charge cycles if you want to geek out and look it up. In summary, top it off instead of letting it get really low.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Syrinxx posted:

Lithium cells are happiest being at nearly full charge but not held there for long periods. Also the lower the discharge depth, the better - a cell that is only ever discharged to 50% will have significantly more than twice the number of charge cycles than one that's discharged to 0%. There's a logarithmic relationship between depth of discharge and number of charge cycles if you want to geek out and look it up. In summary, top it off instead of letting it get really low.

Thanks, what I wanted to know. Guess I've been using my battery all wrong.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I think this sounds more accurate than it actually is.

I use lots of complex tech products that have way less problems than I've had with Android, or at least, the problems I have in them are not in areas that really frustrate the user experience.

At the very least, I can't think of a single tech product whose bugs actually irritate me.

I'm curious as to what tech products you encounter because from where I'm sitting the vast majority are poo poo. Cable boxes? Universally poo poo. Windows since 7? Complete poo poo. Automotive embedded infotainment? Utter poo poo.

I'm not saying there aren't good alternatives to these or good variants within each space but let's be honest here, most things, particularly those catering to people unwilling to pay for quality (and in that regard Android certainly qualifies), are bad and are at best tolerable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stop sperging about your batteries. Charge it when you can, don't when you can't. Especially since everyone in this thread seems to get a new phone every six months to a year, so it's not like you're ever going to run into it having problems.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

"Charge your battery more often instead of letting it get really low" is hardly sperging. If the manufacturers aren't going to let consumers swap the batteries out then you might as well take care of it, which takes 0 effort.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One example I would use is TiVo. It's the go to replacement for cable provider boxes, but its UI is still poo poo (just in a different way).

In a lot of ways the TiVo is more frustrating to use than my FiOS box was, its just on balance a bit better and cheaper.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

Stop sperging about your batteries.

Also, I take back what I said about the BLU Life One X. SIGH.

When plugged into either headphones or an AUX cable there's a constant 'fuzz' background noise that literally no other phone I've had has ever done. Wifi has been dropping intermittently (while none of my other wifi stuff is doing that, so it's not the router) and the battery drain while using Pandora is insane considering how good of a standby/web browsing time this phone has. Guess that's what you can expect for a $100 device. Will be returning.

Guess I'll just keep the Nexus 6P. Had a buyer on Craigslist lined up but I can tell him to gently caress off. I'll just have to get used to how big it is.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I am going to re-recommend the 2015 Moto X Pure. Zippy, decent camera (it's missing OIS but the performance is good enough that it isn't a factor outside pretty quick action shots and cats - I use the Google camera for the tap-to-focus but I would say the Moto camera has slightly better image processing) and sub-$500 total for the 32GB. It also has an SD slot for your animes/kpop/emulator and definitely legally-obtained roms.

About the worst thing I can say about it is that it doesn't have the cutesy android boot screen that marshmallow has by default.

As for the broader picture of Android, I think there's a lot of harm being done by apps like Facebook and their messenger because of how badly they affect system performance. Uninstalling Facebook will almost undoubtedly make any phone seem new again and it sucks that the mobile site is just not quite on par, because it's not exactly an uncommonly-used app for most people. With any luck the OS will start addressing how much of a load apps can place on the system as background services. Facebook is a chief offender, but it isn't limited to that.

Only thing I'd say is I'm not sure the Moto X is worth that much more than a Nexus 6 if you can find it at $250 for 32 GB on Amazon for new or like new. Like the Moto X is probably a little bit better, but not a couple hundred bucks better. If you can't find the cheap Nexus 6 or it doesn't go on sale again, then agreed. Only thing that worries me is future software updates, after having a 2014 Verizon Moto X and Moto E.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

One example I would use is TiVo. It's the go to replacement for cable provider boxes, but its UI is still poo poo (just in a different way).

In a lot of ways the TiVo is more frustrating to use than my FiOS box was, its just on balance a bit better and cheaper.

I'm a longtime DirecTV customer and had the integrated TiVo unit for years until HD came around and I needed to transition to DirecTV-branded DVRs. Then after three or so years, TiVo held a private beta that I was invited to in order to test their forthcoming TiVo/DirecTV HD DVR. I was fairly amazed by how much better the DirecTV box was side-by-side with the TiVo box (both were identical hardware though the DirecTV stuff was available with newer, faster hardware at the time). Even taking into account TiVo's "simpler" UI it was fairly obvious that ten years of improvement had happened without TiVo ever noticing.

I'd still say that DirecTV's equipment is head and shoulders above any other cable box out there (with a price commiserate to that) there are still enough drawbacks and problems to say that while it's the best, it's certainly not perfect. It is a lot more reliable and pleasant to use than Android on the whole, which I suppose is Thermopyle's point. I guess I'm just a lot less tolerant about even the best technology's drawbacks given the scale and money involved in making things the ways they are.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Well for the best chance of non-poo poo you have to go to Apple. But that comes with its own problems such as 1) we can't all justify paying twice as much, as awesome as uncompromising quality is, there's usually other stuff to pay for like food and beer. 2) all those times you think "I'll just set up x to do y.... oh crap, Apple won't let me"

The latter doesn't happen as much as it used to and it has its positive sides too (security, privacy, battery life predictability), but there's still the odd minor thing that add up to it being a bit annoying. Eventually this contributed to me saying "I don't care if it's a bit poo poo, I want to tinker again"

But yeah I hear ya as I recall getting frustrated enough with current tech and various other things we deal with like customer service to hammer "is it just me or is everything loving poo poo?" into Google recently.
I'm currently trying to exercise my 14 day right to return another change-of-heart phone (finding a nice phone is hard, yeah) to Vodafone and they're poo poo as well. After a lengthy process with many accent barriers it eventually came to "We'll send someone to collect it on Monday" - no one came. Spent another 40 minutes listening to "don't u kno, don't u kno" hold music on loop today to ask what happened and they denied all knowledge and said "we'll send someone to collect it by Wednesday". I'll believe it when I see it.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 1, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Where does the "Apple = uncompromising quality" thing come from? I used to be an iPhone/iPod/OSX user and those things were no better quality in any way than flagship Android products, in fact in many ways they were significantly shittier.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where does the "Apple = uncompromising quality" thing come from? I used to be an iPhone/iPod/OSX user and those things were no better quality in any way than flagship Android products, in fact in many ways they were significantly shittier.
They have a huge, huge advertising budget and human beings are stupid as a whole

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

First:

Syrinxx posted:

They have a huge, huge advertising budget and human beings are stupid as a whole

lol. Apple products are built better and have better parts in them. They use the top percentile quality parts and other manufacturers get to fight over the rest. It's like Tim Cook's whole thing. His supply chain magic is why he was hand picked to run things. Like, there's no grey area here. It's not just :rolleyes: "sheeple"

Second:
Report: Google to Take Top-To-Bottom “Apple-Like” Control Over Nexus Line

yesssssss

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

Well for the best chance of non-poo poo you have to go to Apple. But that comes with its own problems such as 1) we can't all justify paying twice as much, as awesome as uncompromising quality is, there's usually other stuff to pay for like food and beer. 2) all those times you think "I'll just set up x to do y.... oh crap, Apple won't let me"

The latter doesn't happen as much as it used to and it has its positive sides too (security, privacy, battery life predictability), but there's still the odd minor thing that add up to it being a bit annoying. Eventually this contributed to me saying "I don't care if it's a bit poo poo, I want to tinker again"

I was responding more to his statement that in general tech bugs aren't so bad:

Thermopyle posted:

I use lots of complex tech products that have way less problems than I've had with Android, or at least, the problems I have in them are not in areas that really frustrate the user experience.

At the very least, I can't think of a single tech product whose bugs actually irritate me.

Which I just find laughable on its face because it seems like every tech thing out there is horrible when I look at them. I didn't really mean it in an Apple vs. the world way. Even in the areas I am familiar with Apple, like OS X and Macs, I can't help but be amazed by some stuff--like how Apple positively refuses to use proper strain relief on cables. Yes, even without that the power adapter on my MagSafe MBA is the best and most reliable I've had on any laptop but it's irritating that for want of a little bit more rubber I wouldn't be on my third one.

Maybe I'm just easily disappointed.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GargleBlaster posted:

all those times you think "I'll just set up x to do y.... oh crap, Apple won't let me"

The biggest thing that shits me about iPhone is the inability to simply drag your music onto it like you can an Android. Like, why do I have to use iTunes? loving infuriating.

RZA Encryption posted:

They use the top percentile quality parts and other manufacturers get to fight over the rest.

wat

Apple phones are filled with cheap sweatshop Foxconn poo poo. It's going to be no better than Samsung or LG.

Legit pretty neat though, I still say that they need to buy/absorb Nokia for this.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's analysed pretty well at the old favourite Anandtech (where I learned how poo poo the OP2 and Snapdragon 810 are, how decent the Nexus 5X is for the price etc)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review

That and I've had a lot of satisfaction from iDevices myself whilst the comments about there always being something really crappy about any Android device did seem to ring true a bit. Apple do seem very competent at designing hardware. (Aside from when they shat out the iPhone 4).

I don't buy into the religious fanaticism towards the mobile platforms though, they both have their pros and cons as far as I'm concerned.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

They use the top percentile quality parts

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not just :rolleyes: "sheeple"

Are you for real :rolleyes:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I'm curious as to what tech products you encounter because from where I'm sitting the vast majority are poo poo. Cable boxes? Universally poo poo. Windows since 7? Complete poo poo. Automotive embedded infotainment? Utter poo poo.

I'm not saying there aren't good alternatives to these or good variants within each space but let's be honest here, most things, particularly those catering to people unwilling to pay for quality (and in that regard Android certainly qualifies), are bad and are at best tolerable.

Note that I'm not saying that tech products aren't poo poo, I'm saying that the bugs in Android are the only ones I find infuriating on a regular basis.

Like, I'm sitting here and I can't think of a single tech product besides my phone and tablet that irritates me on a regular basis.

I'm using Windows 10 right now. Its got bugs and glitches galore, but they don't irritate me because as long as an operating system runs Chrome, VMWare, and some IDEs, I don't care about the operating system. I don't use the OS in any meaningful way. It's just there in the background allowing the actual things I interact with to exist. I also regularly use Ubuntu and occasionally OS X. The operating system literally doesn't matter at all.

My cars infotainment is nothing but a thing that hooks my Android device up to my car speakers (and every time I get irritated in the car about tech its the phone, not the car).

My home appliances just work.

My digital camera does what it does.

Now, you could argue that the issue is that I only find Android devices irritating because they're so central to what I do day-to-day, but I don't think that's accurate. I use my desktop PC for work and entertainment for way more time than I spend on any other technology and its not even a thing that enters my consciousness when I think about technology that I use. It just exists and doesn't bother me.

edit:

Note that most of that stuff has bugs and terrible UI, but...it doesn't matter because the bugs are consistent and I'm used to them in a way that I mostly avoid them. With my phone it's a different story. For example, across 5 vehicles, umpteen BT devices, and all those Android things I've used it's usually a complete mystery of BT is going to work correctly when I go to use it. Will the device freeze up or reset in the middle of navigating to somewhere I've never been? Probably not, but it happens. My experience with Android has been that it is unpredictible. It's fine 90% of the time and then 10% of the time it goes to poo poo.

I just don't have that sort of experience with any other piece of technology.

I'm not saying that the situation with other tech is OK. It's far from it, and new users and the technically illiterate are left out to dry. It's a terrible situation and if there is a President of Technology she should be impeached.

edit2:

Actually, there is one Android device that I've had zero problems with and that has been amazingly good: The Shield TV is fantastic.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 1, 2016

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Am I imagining things or does the default android alarm drain your battery randomly at times? I barely have any apps on my phone but ever since I put a recurring alarm that happens three days of the week, it seems like my battery has gotten worse. I might be imagining things but seems like turning that alarm off makes my phone last longer. Feel free to call me crazy but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

My experience with Android has been that it is unpredictible. It's fine 90% of the time and then 10% of the time it goes to poo poo.

I just don't have that sort of experience with any other piece of technology.

Okay, now this makes sense. I wouldn't say my Android experience is at all bad and I seldom if ever experience the random weirdness everyone else gets and complains about here but then that's the problem, experiences with Android seem wildly inconsistent from device to device, user to user, and day to day. There's no denying that everyone at some point deals with inexplicable behavior with Android at some point over a long enough span of time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please don't criticize Android in the Android thread. This is a safe space.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Daily Forecast posted:

wat

Apple phones are filled with cheap sweatshop Foxconn poo poo. It's going to be no better than Samsung or LG.
Assembly has nothing to do with where the parts actually come from. Working for a supplier for Apple, having knowledge of their qual process and participated in their joint-qual process (albeit for PC components), yes Apple is traditionally the most difficult to qual for; more difficult and having more stringent standards than even many enterprise OEMs we supply for. The comment about Apple generally sourcing the best parts is correct and well-documented even in the mobile space, to the point where other OEMs have publicly commented that they can't always get the good poo poo (even if they wanted it) because Apple has locked down the supply chain.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please don't criticize Android in the Android thread. This is a safe space.

I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of true believers defending Android, so far.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
There was an article showing that Apple did pay higher prices for individual components, and I choose to believe it isn't them getting shafted by component suppliers.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

LastInLine posted:

I'm a longtime DirecTV customer and had the integrated TiVo unit for years until HD came around and I needed to transition to DirecTV-branded DVRs. Then after three or so years, TiVo held a private beta that I was invited to in order to test their forthcoming TiVo/DirecTV HD DVR. I was fairly amazed by how much better the DirecTV box was side-by-side with the TiVo box (both were identical hardware though the DirecTV stuff was available with newer, faster hardware at the time). Even taking into account TiVo's "simpler" UI it was fairly obvious that ten years of improvement had happened without TiVo ever noticing.

The TiVo DirecTV HD units were a strange product, it felt because they were 10 years behind because they were way behind, it was basically an unfinished TiVo UI skin an an old DirecTV OS, Comcast tried the same thing on their lovely Motorola DVRS.

The current TiVo OS is honestly really good, it's flawed but as a cord cutter it's better than anything else in the market by a mile, put in a TV show and it will tell search all the services for it. Say you put in Grey's Anatomy and it will tell you you can record upcoming episodes OTA, which seasons are on Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon and Vudu, click an episode and it will bypass the streaming UI and just link you right to the episode.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

LastInLine posted:

I'd still say that DirecTV's equipment is head and shoulders above any other cable box out there

Coming from Time Warner's cable boxes to DirecTv's was incredible. The lag on TW boxes was just astoundingly terrible. Not just the lag on the box responding to commands, but the time it took for to change a channel. Just about everything was painfully slow.

But DirecTV one-ups cable in another way: their remotes are RF so there's less lag in the box interpreting signals from infrared.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Three Olives posted:

The current TiVo OS is honestly really good,

The OS is good on their modern hardware, but the UI is still pretty terrible. It's way too low density for modern screen sizes, it takes way too many button presses to do certain functions, and gradients with rounded corners are so 2005. It's also the only interface I've used where the 'back' button is more of a context mystery than Android (never mind that it has a back, last, and left d-pad button that have similar but not always the same effects depending on what your are doing.)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

I'll believe it when I see it, right now it reeks of all the reports and rumors that Hangouts would turn into Google's version of iMessage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So what exactly is Google going to do different if they built their own Nexus hardware? They are already dictating things to a certain extent to the existing manufacturers. Also, while the Chromebook pixel is nice, the Pixel C is a half baked inventory clearance from an aborted project. I'm sure looking forward to a Nexus handset that started its design cycle as a different product that Google later said "gently caress it, throw Android on it and ship."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Assembly has nothing to do with where the parts actually come from. Working for a supplier for Apple, having knowledge of their qual process and participated in their joint-qual process (albeit for PC components), yes Apple is traditionally the most difficult to qual for; more difficult and having more stringent standards than even many enterprise OEMs we supply for. The comment about Apple generally sourcing the best parts is correct and well-documented even in the mobile space, to the point where other OEMs have publicly commented that they can't always get the good poo poo (even if they wanted it) because Apple has locked down the supply chain.

My favorite thing was when Apple built a NAND factory for Samsung Semiconductir under the condition that they got first pick on any and all NAND they wanted to buy, so Samsung Mobile was getting whatever Apple didn't want.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I used a Blackberry Priv today and it was actually really really cool and I totally want one again. :unsmith:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finally ditched my horrifically bad Moto G second gen and picked up a Moto X Pure. It's pretty great. It's nice to have a phone that's blazing fast and can do things such as play music over bluetooth in my car without it turning into a suttering hitch-filled mess in TYOOL 2016.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Got a used Oneplus One from SWAPPA because it was in my price-range and my *Htc Desire 510 * is rapidly falling apart, anything I should know going into it?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Got a used Oneplus One from SWAPPA because it was in my price-range and my *Htc Desire 510 * is rapidly falling apart, anything I should know going into it?

The OPO isn't highly regarded around these parts (and for good reason) but the Desire 510 is such a horseshit phone that anything could replace that thing. The OPOs seem to be going for $150-200 which is pretty reasonable I'd say.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

The OPO isn't highly regarded around these parts (and for good reason) but the Desire 510 is such a horseshit phone that anything could replace that thing. The OPOs seem to be going for $150-200 which is pretty reasonable I'd say.

Ya that's pretty much it, it was $150 for the 64GB model and considering that my Desire wasn't charging correctly and also hasn't been working in any state close to "correct" for a while (and, yeah, just total garbage) it was just kind of a "Well, poo poo, I need something" situation. I'd like to hear why ppl don't like the OPO though so I know what I'm getting into at the least.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite thing was when Apple built a NAND factory for Samsung Semiconductir under the condition that they got first pick on any and all NAND they wanted to buy, so Samsung Mobile was getting whatever Apple didn't want.

Yeah, one major competitive advantage Apple has is that they have the cash that would allow them to make capital expenditures like this that both benefit them and keep others out.

Another example is buying up all of the tooling necessary to do something in the manufacturing process (or do it efficiently at scale), so that competitors just can't have it.

For instance, take those LEDs that shine through the aluminum bodies on Apple products, like the webcam indicator or the power light on a trackpad. Those are tiny laser-cut holes. Once Apple found a vendor that could make the lasers that would perform to that spec, Apple purchased enough of the machines that the vendor was willing to sign an exclusivity agreement.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, one major competitive advantage Apple has is that they have the cash that would allow them to make capital expenditures like this that both benefit them and keep others out.

Another example is buying up all of the tooling necessary to do something in the manufacturing process (or do it efficiently at scale), so that competitors just can't have it.

For instance, take those LEDs that shine through the aluminum bodies on Apple products, like the webcam indicator or the power light on a trackpad. Those are tiny laser-cut holes. Once Apple found a vendor that could make the lasers that would perform to that spec, Apple purchased enough of the machines that the vendor was willing to sign an exclusivity agreement.

Another example: Apple bought the company that made the only fingerprint readers that worked reliably.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

incoherent posted:

Also RIP hangouts apparently, SMS is being gutted.

Maybe they're planning ahead for RCS (aka the global cross-carrier version of iMessage). Every phone number effectively getting an IM account would mean Hangouts would have to juggle two competing IM featuresets (Hangouts-IM and Carrier number-IM) within the same client which is more difficult to get right than primitive SMS.

Seems they've decided its much cleaner to just narrow the scope of Hangouts/Hangouts Dialer to just being the universal front-end client in charge of Google communication protocols (Hangouts-IM/voice calling/Google Voice/Fi etc) and let Google Messenger/Phone take care of carrier protocols.

Looking at the state of the RCS roll out so far, it might be the right call. For example, the one UK carrier who has actually deployed RCS can't actually give a straight answer on how the user knows carrier-iMessage worked or not:

and couldn't get OEMs implement it in a consistent way:

hooah posted:

Speaking of priority mode, I still can't get texts from my starred contacts to make any sort of noise or vibrate on my 2014 Moto X. Any ideas? I've hit the Moto Assist set to keep the phone quite and the active notifications off during Android's down time, for what it's worth.

Which messaging app have you set to handle SMS? If a SMS/IM client hasn't been updated properly to use the Lollipop API to tag its notifications as "CATEGORY_MESSAGE", the system has no way of knowing it should be letting its sounds/vibrations through the filter. Hangouts and Google Messenger definitely work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm using Google's Messenger, but I'm using LightFlow to manage vibrations and sounds. I turned off LightFlow's quiet hours or whatever, but haven't had the time to test it with that off yet.