Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was shocked by that too.

I'm weirdly nostalgic watching these episodes because this was the era I was actively tuning in every Sunday to watch the animation block, getting really frustrated whenever football or baseball was on instead. I saw a lot of these ones when they first aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Tried to watch the entire series a few years back and while the episode quality definitely starts spiraling down quickly around seasons 9-10, there are still enough good bits in the seasons that come after.

If I remember correctly, the hard cut off for me was Season 15, by then the episodes were just boring and the animation becomes noticeably worse.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Has any show gotten more than 10 seasons and not gotten worse?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
American Dad, IASIP

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've just hit season 10 and the first through the floor downfall into what would eventually become Modern Simpsons happened in the episode Simpson Tide at the tail end of Season 9. Lots of classic early season humour in there and some genuine laughs but it was the first time I recognised the "funny man say funny thing" where Homer just ends a scene by loudly saying a catchphrase and that's it. No joke, no layers, no wit, just a humourless phrase said by an otherwise entertaining character, bereft of the boost it would have received and indeed and relied upon had this series used a laugh track. Also Moe can spontaneously enlist and immediately take the role of navigator on a navy submarine because gently caress it, why not.

Wikipedia says Al Jean produced this episode.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 4, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I guess it depends on how we define worse. Like, Cheers was always good throughout its run, though there's definitely periods where the show was on fire.

Frasier counts because he was on like season 9 of the character in the first season, and season 11 brought the show back from the brink.

M*A*S*H was also good throughout its entire run. There's never a point where you feel like they lost it, until AfterMASH.

King of the Hill is pretty consistent too.

60 Minutes definitely gets into the stride around season 10.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Archer is still pretty popular, despite a lot of fans not liking the three coma dream seasons. South Park still has a pretty big fan base over 25 seasons in and the quarantine specials were pretty funny.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Always Sunny.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you like Bob's Burgers (if), it's just as good now in like, season 12, as it was in season 1.

I think Bob's Burgers is weird in that I've watched every single episode and enjoyed all of them, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the show, or buy any merchandise, or quote any lines from it, or play a video game of it, or anything. It's just wholesome mental cotton candy, but somehow I've watched a hundred episodes of it without it making any real impression on my brain.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 4, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

If you like Bob's Burgers (if), it's just as good now in like, season 12, as it was in season 1.

Yeah it's like the model of consistency. The tune got old at some point, but they never forgot how to play it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the most recent season of Sunny was pretty dire other than the texting episode, but also it was season 14. There have been fringe complaints of the show going downhill since like season 5, but 14 was the first season for me where I felt like they should consider wrapping it up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

I think Bob's Burgers is weird in that I've watched every single episode and enjoyed all of them, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the show, or buy any merchandise, or quote any lines from it, or play a video game of it, or anything. It's just wholesome mental cotton candy, but somehow I've watched a hundred episodes of it without it making any real impression on my brain.

Yeah, it's the ultimate comfort food show. Always quality and consistent, but rarely stands out or is memorable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought the most recent season of Sunny was pretty dire other than the texting episode, but also it was season 14. There have been fringe complaints of the show going downhill since like season 5, but 14 was the first season for me where I felt like they should consider wrapping it up.

Yeah since Dennis got his own show and largely dipped out in S13 it's seemed like they're winding down. Still funny tho, just not as consistent

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

King of the Hill turned poo poo for me when they did the soft-retool of the show and turned Hank into an only sane man in a crazy PC world character and made Bobby's only trait being an embarassing failson with none of the nuance or redeeming qualities of the earlier seasons

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah since Dennis got his own show and largely dipped out in S13 it's seemed like they're winding down. Still funny tho, just not as consistent

Does Howerton still have his own show or did it fizzle out like The Mick did for Kaitlin Olson?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Willatron posted:

Does Howerton still have his own show or did it fizzle out like The Mick did for Kaitlin Olson?

The reviews seemed pretty meh so I never watched it and I assume it's dead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Willatron posted:

It moved to the Peacock streaming service for Season 3 and recently got renewed for Season 4

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Willatron posted:

Archer is still pretty popular, despite a lot of fans not liking the three coma dream seasons.

Jesus, what? I bailed when they became drug runners, was that part of the coma?

(It wasn't even so much that they changed the format of the show. It was more when Kenny Loggins came on the show to sing Danger Zone that I realized they were never going to write a new joke again.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watching an episode of the Simpsons and Marge is under a panel of psychologists to determine her sanity. One of them is the doctor who spent that year spanking child Ned Flanders. Except they used his younger model. I hope someone got fired for this blunder.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

multijoe posted:

King of the Hill turned poo poo for me when they did the soft-retool of the show and turned Hank into an only sane man in a crazy PC world character and made Bobby's only trait being an embarassing failson with none of the nuance or redeeming qualities of the earlier seasons

You ever watch Mike Judge’s follow up show, The Goode Family? It was a reverse KotH where the entire family were PC liberals in a staunch conservative world.

It... was not good and only lasted a season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Jesus, what? I bailed when they became drug runners, was that part of the coma?

(It wasn't even so much that they changed the format of the show. It was more when Kenny Loggins came on the show to sing Danger Zone that I realized they were never going to write a new joke again.)

After running drugs, they became a detective agency. They do like a Sunset Boulevard thing and set up a lot of robots and clones that could be Archer in the pool, but then the twist in the end it was actually him shot and downing. He spends 3 years in a coma with each one having a seasonlong dream attached where the whole cast inhabits characters in a new setting: 1940s L.A., a mysterious island in the Pacific in maybe the '80s, and a sci-fi future. The most recent season he wakes up from the coma and finds everyone has moved on with their lives and he can no longer dominate them like he had. It was actually pretty good because it changed up the internal relationship dynamics.

Then Jessica Walter died, so I assume the show's done.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Imagined posted:

Lol same. I got into it as I wanted something on while I was ironing. Pleasantly non-offensive.

multijoe posted:

Yeah the show totally lost their heart. Fortunately never totally cratered before cancellation and can just watch a handful of good eps from later seasons.

T. Bombastus posted:

Stupid sexy Flanders is from season 11, that always surprises me.

Not gonna dispute that’s a top tier moment. But other than that the only other part I can recall laughing at was the Virtual Doctor running away after the leprosy diagnosis.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

multijoe posted:

Yeah if anything King of the Hill is a great example of a show that went downhill after somewhere around 10 seasons.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Gunsmoke guys never lost their touch

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

You ever watch Mike Judge’s follow up show, The Goode Family? It was a reverse KotH where the entire family were PC liberals in a staunch conservative world.

It... was not good and only lasted a season.

Its biggest flaw imo was that with KotH Judge obviously had a lot of love for the characters and texan yokels that made the jokes at their expense fun and not too mean

It was clear from the start the Judge hated the goode family and everything they stood for lol

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

yeah I think KotH really went downhill it later years but I think people still remember the later years with some fondness because there were still some good eps among all the clunkers

and it never reached the point where there were 20 more bad years than good

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

KOTH ended right when it was obviously getting bad. Went out right at the right time to be remembered fondly.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The last good Simpsons joke I remember is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_yaGDrNESk&t=12s

Even though it's a good joke, it still has that punch-up feel with Homer doing awkward animation 101 poses and it feels a little stilted because it came at the beginning of that clean, on-model animation style. But it was still a decent gag that wasn't Homer just screaming nonsense monkey-cheese lines.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pennsylvanian posted:

The last good Simpsons joke I remember is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_yaGDrNESk&t=12s

Even though it's a good joke, it still has that punch-up feel with Homer doing awkward animation 101 poses and it feels a little stilted because it came at the beginning of that clean, on-model animation style. But it was still a decent gag that wasn't Homer just screaming nonsense monkey-cheese lines.

Eehhhhhhh that's just a rehash of the much better Sir Isaac Newton ("Sir Isaa who?")/Colonel Klink guardian angel bit from "The Last Temptation of Homer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85jgOVde1NA

I love that it's actually Werner Klemperer as Klink and not a sound-alike. It was his last time playing the character.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The chronologically last ever classic Simpsons jokes I remember were in the movie. "I was elected to lead. Not to read." "Bountiful penis." "Worst day of your life so far." "Have you ever tried going mad without power?" Etc.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Although this bit from season 29 did make me chuckle. I never saw the episode it comes from, just this clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocLmbQrnhTs

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I think the last one that was good was "Linguo... IS... dead."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'I was so gay, but I couldn't tell anyone'

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Jesus christ The Goode Family, I was happier not remembering that one

Incidentally, you ever notice that shows with only 1 or 2 seasons all have Wikipedia articles written by the same type of overly obsessive author? It's all the same awkward writing style too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like how sometimes you'll find a Wikipedia entry for like, one character from a show that got cancelled halfway through its first season, and the entry is longer and more detailed than entries for entire actual wars where thousands of people died.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Article on the Taiping Rebellion, which killed 20 million people: ~6,400 words
Article describing the characters of the Cleveland Show: ~8,200 words

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Cleveland Show did last 4 seasons, but I don’t even remember people talking about it in a bad way, it just didn’t seem to exist after the pilot

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

bobjr posted:

The Cleveland Show did last 4 seasons, but I don’t even remember people talking about it in a bad way, it just didn’t seem to exist after the pilot

The Taiping Rebellion lasted 14 seasons

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

As we all know, the word count of a Wikipedia article is directly what determines the importance of anything, regardless if the events that took place hundreds of years ago or like 5 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

King of the Hill had a pretty sharp drop about two thirds into its run but I think it climbed back out towards the end. Nowhere near as good as the early seasons but a recovery nevertheless.