Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Klyith posted:

The new Hyper 212 mounting system is way harder to mess up than the old one, but possibly you need to put more torque on the screws if you didn't tighten them down all the way.

Wanted to come back and say thanks for suggesting I double check this. After opening the case I found there were a few screws that were not nearly all the way tightened. After tightening them and adding a second fan to the cooler, my idle temps now sit between 32-40, rather than 40-50.

Edit: Also wanted to note that I stress tested it with P95 as recommended and the cooler seemed to perform very well. The CPU never went a degree over 70c the entire time and mostly hung out in the mid sixties.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Cygni posted:

Are u a bad enough dude
I’ll be as bad as it takes in all genders, simultaneously, for this in dtx with another x16 slot and thunderbolt 3

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

And yes, of course it is Asrock. Never any doubt in your mind, I know

Asrock is literally Cave Johnson, but an OEM.

"PCB design isn't about why, it's about why not!"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I said, years ago:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Seriously, if there is anyone that you can expect to make Threadripper ITX work, it's ASRock. When they do, just.... don't stare at the circuitboard traces. And if they start to swim a bit out the corner of your eye, uh, maybe call a priest and pour yourself a nice, stiff drink? It's absolutely not the eldritch powers used to stitch together socket TR4 and an ITX board causing you to lose SAN.

Definitely not any twisted perversions of space-time and 4D space, no.

And they STILL managed to somehow outdo my expectations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15912/ddr5-specification-released-setting-the-stage-for-ddr56400-and-beyond

Anandtech did an article on the DDR5 spec that was released yesterday.

128GB UDIMMs? Yes please.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe we'll stop getting laptops that only have 4 GB of RAM by default

Haha who am I kidding of course not

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

gradenko_2000 posted:

If it's not 4GB it'll be whatever irritating minimum is required to run the OS and choke an doing anything more extreme then 4 chrome tabs.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I said, years ago:

And they STILL managed to somehow outdo my expectations.

Asrock tech running into boardroom and slams down design sheets onto meeting table

"Low profile single slot RX 6900 XT!"

Lead product designer, wiping his nose

"Praise Yog-Sothoth, we've done it again!"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EmpyreanFlux posted:

If it's not 4GB it'll be whatever irritating minimum is required to run the OS and choke an doing anything more extreme then 4 chrome tabs.

Asrock tech running into boardroom and slams down design sheets onto meeting table

"Low profile single slot RX 6900 XT!"

Lead product designer, wiping his nose

"Praise Yog-Sothoth, we've done it again!"

The CEO's eyes roll back so hard he sees his own brain, 30 seconds of grunting and shivering later:

"Your product meets our lord's requirements, make haste and insure at least 500 are made and placed into the hands of mortals!"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Intel Atom is going to be with us forever and ever, as will its companion "4gb of soldered-on system ram"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Asrock is literally Cave Johnson, but an OEM.

"PCB design isn't about why, it's about why not!"

I'll do you one better: Why is Asrock?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Yeah, yeah, yeah...but are they any good? Or is this more of a who cares thing?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you're looking for a no compromises build, you're not using mITX, hth

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No poo poo

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

NewFatMike posted:

If you're looking for a no compromises build, you're not using mITX, hth

If you don't use itx, you're compromising on volume. :colbert:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

Are u a bad enough dude

tfw you put a mITX board in a tower case so it can use a 360mm radiator

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

Just one?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

Alphacool makes 280mm 1U radiators.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also: https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sv590/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I covet that so much. Next build, next build.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Subjunctive posted:

same, i think im gonna try to do an ultra tiny water cooled ITX build with a "4950X" when they come out, as a project to pour time/research into and get really upset about when it doesnt work right and then it will take me 6 more months of buying specialty parts one at a time to get to work and then i will hate it by the time its done and never take any pictures and give it away to a family member cause i cant stand having it in the house after all the pain it caused me

gonna kick rear end

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I used to think I wanted a small ITX/mITX gaming PC but after going in the other direction to a full tower, it's hard to imagine dealing with the heat and space constraints of a SFF PC.

Have any of you successfully built a high-end SFF PC with a high-end GPU (e.g., 2080Ti) and if so, what kind of thermals do you get?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, after having worked in cramped cases too many times I definitely like having a bigger case. I'd need a compelling reason to go for building a miniature machine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

gently caress yes microitx with 64 cores

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 17, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can pry my late 90s Inwin full tower case from my cold dead calloused hands

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

shrike82 posted:

Have any of you successfully built a high-end SFF PC with a high-end GPU (e.g., 2080Ti) and if so, what kind of thermals do you get?

I wish this one was mine:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsivTANNkKw

the build quality leaves a lot to be desired

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsivTANNkKw

the build quality leaves a lot to be desired

Heartbreaking, ugh.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Yeah, my bad. Didn’t notice these things are itx.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wish I could build an ITX box for myself, but I can't convince myself that it's worth giving up the extra ports and slots. There's always something around the corner that needs plugging in to verify it works, or something that needs recovering...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I wish I could build an ITX box for myself, but I can't convince myself that it's worth giving up the extra ports and slots. There's always something around the corner that needs plugging in to verify it works, or something that needs recovering...

Yeah, it's nice having ample USB 3 ports on my new machine. I also tend to move hardware from my old builds to my new builds, and end up with an excessive of drives and such. My new desktop has two m2 drives, 2 SATA SSDS, and 2 HDDs. It feels weird having no optical drives but I still have my previous desktop up and running if I need it. I think it still has 3 SSDs and 1 HDD as well as the DVD burner.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think microATX is the sweet spot for size, it just chops off some height that would just be useless extra PCIe slots that would probably never be used anyway on a gaming pc.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was honestly tempted to switch to AMD to replace my x99 mATX setup, but then I looked at the board selection which is pretty poor. Then I went over and checked the z490 selection and almost every company makes at least one mATX board.

I think i'll just get an 8 core haswell-e for cheap instead.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

priznat posted:

I think microATX is the sweet spot for size, it just chops off some height that would just be useless extra PCIe slots that would probably never be used anyway on a gaming pc.

It is 100%, I'm always disappointed at the lack of good boards and cases, even though it's bang in the sweet spot

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nah, I'm always gonna need those extra few PCIe slots for..... stuff.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just for ease of building normal atx is definitely nicer, my case has the board mounted horizontaly which I like. But cable management is a mess and making any changes is pretty tedious. I used to have a EVGA hybrid card, mounting the radiator at the top was a huge pain.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

shrike82 posted:

I used to think I wanted a small ITX/mITX gaming PC but after going in the other direction to a full tower, it's hard to imagine dealing with the heat and space constraints of a SFF PC.

I’m running a 9900K with the noctua U9S with a second 92mm fan and an EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra in the Ncase M1 (12.7L). The 9900K is stock clocks with an undervolt and see temps in the 60s to 70s. I have two settings for the graphics, 1800 MHz @ 800 mV which see temps in the mid 50s with only 1000 rpm GPU fans and 1900 MHz @ 900 mV which bumps temps to the mid 60s at the same fan speed, I also have two slim noctua 120mm fans below the gpu as intake.

The bottom fans and cpu cooler are set to intake and I have a single A12x25 on the side bracket set as exhaust. None of the fans break 1000 rpm for noise reasons and everything is cooled well. Limiting voltage on the GPU helps immensely with thermals and noise without much of a drop in performance, it really helps with coil whine though. If I wasn’t particularly concerned with a silent setup I could get a bit more performance but honestly it’s pretty good as is. I do have a kraken x53 on the way to test versus the U9S.

The smaller case is also nice when I travel for work. I have a travel bag setup for the PC with an extra keyboard, mouse, etc. so I can just toss it in there and I’m good to go. Quite the great travel rig when paired with the ASUS XG17AHP. Larger cases definitely have better compatibility for parts but a high end system is definitely doable in SFF cases, thought it tends to be more expensive. Cooler Master is releasing the NR200(P) which is on preorder at amazon, sub 20L and can pack a 240/280 AIO or a noctua U12A and large three slot GPUs for $80.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 17, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Alright. Maybe someone with more AMD knowledge can chime in here. Awhile back I posted how my 3900X ran really cool. Around 68-70deg fully maxed out. Thing is the actual cores would really never go above 4.15Ghz according to HWinfo. By this I mean the current speeds showed that but the max speed would show around 4.5Ghz. Okay so I didn't think much of it until I saw some videos of other 3900x boosting cores passed 4.2Ghz for amounts of time that you can actually notice in HW info.

Messed with my Gigabyte Aorus bios, mostly playing with some of the voltage settings. No real differences. Read google, noticed some folks said after removing Ryzen Master their cores clocked correctly. Also LLC settings might matter. So I did that, Set LLC to one notch below max control, removed Ryzen Master. Reboot.

Now we are talking:

Can anyone explain any of this? I just dont have a lot of AMD experience with Ryzen.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

Messed with my Gigabyte Aorus bios, mostly playing with some of the voltage settings. No real differences. Read google, noticed some folks said after removing Ryzen Master their cores clocked correctly. Also LLC settings might matter. So I did that, Set LLC to one notch below max control, removed Ryzen Master. Reboot.

Can anyone explain any of this? I just dont have a lot of AMD experience with Ryzen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMIh8dTdJwI

TLDR is you're effectively overvolting & OCing the CPU, because LLC will be feeding more volts to your CPU under load than it expects. Vdroop isn't just like the mobo can't keep up with power needs, it's a specification to keep power & max voltage spikes in check.

Setting LLC while keeping stock voltage settings is probably safe, but you could probably accomplish the same thing by leaving LLC alone and boosting main core voltage. LLC is a setting that people can get themselves into trouble with, because while everyone understands that feeding extra volts to the CPU has possible negative consequences LLC is more of a mystery.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 17, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

track day bro! posted:

I was honestly tempted to switch to AMD to replace my x99 mATX setup, but then I looked at the board selection which is pretty poor. Then I went over and checked the z490 selection and almost every company makes at least one mATX board.

I think i'll just get an 8 core haswell-e for cheap instead.

for some reason the new trend is to treat mATX as a red-headed stepchild and put out mostly lovely cost-reduced boards with terrible VRMs and little in the way of features. I guess the thinking is that enthusiasts who are willing to shell out for lots of expansion will go ATX or EATX and enthusiasts who are willing to shell out for a powerful smaller board will go mITX, leaving mATX as the junky in-between for the people who heard “hey, you don’t really need to pay for a full ATX board bro”.

Net effect there are like one or two good mATX boards for most sockets these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
B550 is kind of perfect for mATX because it can't actually use every port/slot that fits on an ATX board simultaneously anyway, but it's like nobody making boards noticed this.